• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whats with people and Honor

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
Budget_Player
am i unblocked from your sight now mr.boodgetplyercadety
The day BPC unblocks you is the day Erik would rather be outside playing a sport instead of playing a video game in his unlit room.
I generally just click "view post" if it's a thread where you haven't repeatedly posted nothing but terrible, terrible garbage. :V

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
old? that video never gets old hahaha

second hit does outrange marth's dtilt, and marth's shield breaker outranges that, while we're talking about unsafe and easy to block or dodge on reaction attacks
The second hit of snakes ftilt is easy to punish? Really teach me how?

etecoon

Smash Hero
I've never seen people struggle excessively to punish it(except on wifi), snake frame data is missing what frame it hits on though so it's impossible to say exactly what it's shield advantage is.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I've never seen people struggle excessively to punish it(except on wifi), snake frame data is missing what frame it hits on though so it's impossible to say exactly what it's shield advantage is.
I'm pretty sure it is minimal.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
However, I wonder how far do you think you can go with ganon. Without knowing anything about your tourney results. It's hard for me to say however, depending on where you're placing and where you feel as though you should be placing. The putting in that much effort and work into ganon. At least in my opinion it is better to put all that work into a better character and yield better results.
I don't measure "how far I'll go" by tournament placings as much as I measure it by how close to perfectly I can play Ganon. Granted, my tournament placings are beyond terrible, but I feel that most of the matches I lose is not because of the limitations of my character, but because I make far too many mistakes when I have no business doing so (techincal errors, being too aggressive when I should be conservative, etc.). Once I get rid of my technical mishaps and I perform as well as I feel I should be performing, then I can start judging whether I should be winning matches or not. Until then, though, I still have to refine my game.

I also really don't have the time to put enough effort into other characters that my level of familiarity with them comes even close to that which I have with Ganondorf.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I don't measure "how far I'll go" by tournament placings as much as I measure it by how close to perfectly I can play Ganon. Granted, my tournament placings are beyond terrible, but I feel that most of the matches I lose is not because of the limitations of my character, but because I make far too many mistakes when I have no business doing so (techincal errors, being too aggressive when I should be conservative, etc.). Once I get rid of my technical mishaps and I perform as well as I feel I should be performing, then I can start judging whether I should be winning matches or not. Until then, though, I still have to refine my game.

I also really don't have the time to put enough effort into other characters that my level of familiarity with them comes even close to that which I have with Ganondorf.
You won't know until you stop playing Ganon and pick up another character.

Albert.

Smash Master
Ganon is like training weights and then when you go up the tiers, you drop the weights and you get access to more/better tools that enable you to do better lol.

Clai, try maining Bowser or Ike. Similar characters that are infinitely better.

Flayl

Smash Hero
If he's going to play a better character (secondary or otherwise) he might as well pick a top/high tier. There's no point to going from bottom to only low.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
You won't know until you stop playing Ganon and pick up another character.
But that brings me to my first point- why give up on Ganon when I still have room to improve? Combined with legit time issues from being in college and not having a Wii in my room, and I feel that it's just not worth it trying another character when I'm not assured of doing any better than what I'm doing now.

Bowser feels like a semi-truck running on molasses, and I can't stand Ike's aerial game. There's a reason I use Ganon over everyone else.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
But that brings me to my first point- why give up on Ganon when I still have room to improve? Combined with legit time issues from being in college and not having a Wii in my room, and I feel that it's just not worth it trying another character when I'm not assured of doing any better than what I'm doing now.

Bowser feels like a semi-truck running on molasses, and I can't stand Ike's aerial game. There's a reason I use Ganon over everyone else.
If you like Ganon play Wario. Ah I didn't know you didn't have a Wii in your room. However, in the end if if you want to be the best ganon that you can be. It won't be worth it if you're going to put your all into a character you should at least put it in a character where your hard work will be rewarded.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
If he's going to play a better character (secondary or otherwise) he might as well pick a top/high tier. There's no point to going from bottom to only low.
Until he eventually runs into a player who knows those matchups well and gets ***** harder than he would by playing a character that better compliments his own personal taste. I do a hell of a lot better against M2K with Peach than I ever would do against him with MK (although on an unrelated note, I'll be training my Diddy with him for the sake of combating other MKs and helping him sharpen up on that MU in return xD). For some characters around her area or better, it comes down to knowing your character inside and out and knowing how to deal with scenarios other characters can put you in that were once thought to shut the former down almost completely.

My example? Peach vs Shuttle Loop/Tornado. I've made sure to learn how to condition myself to bait them reliably, to know what to follow up with as quickly as possible, and now the matchup isn't so hopeless if I can manage to not get gimped and keep myself positioned comfortably on stage w/possibly a lead. Imagine that, effort goes a long way. Although I will agree that a good portion of characters are indeed hopeless against the matchups that matter. That can't be avoided.

NNID
Budget_Player
Until he eventually runs into a player who knows those matchups well and gets ***** harder than he would by playing a character that better compliments his own personal taste. I do a hell of a lot better against M2K with Peach than I ever would do against him with MK (although on an unrelated note, I'll be training my Diddy with him for the sake of combating other MKs and helping him sharpen up on that MU in return xD). For some characters around her area or better, it comes down to knowing your character inside and out and knowing how to deal with scenarios other characters can put you in that were once thought to shut the former down almost completely.

My example? Peach vs Shuttle Loop/Tornado. I've made sure to learn how to condition myself to bait them reliably, to know what to follow up with as quickly as possible, and now the matchup isn't so hopeless if I can manage to not get gimped and keep myself positioned comfortably on stage w/possibly a lead. Imagine that, effort goes a long way. Although I will agree that a good portion of characters are indeed hopeless against the matchups that matter. That can't be avoided.
You're setting yourself up for disappointment by doing that though. The argument works... until the MK decides to sit down and learn the matchup. At that point, the matchup goes from decent to "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS" very quickly (as opposed to from decent to slightly more decent with a top tier, because you improve).

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
You're setting yourself up for disappointment by doing that though. The argument works... until the MK decides to sit down and learn the matchup. At that point, the matchup goes from decent to "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS" very quickly (as opposed to from decent to slightly more decent with a top tier, because you improve).
I'll be training my Diddy with him for the sake of combating other MKs
^ I'm already aware. Precautions should always be taken, I'm no fool. xD

However...I will primarily stick with what I know best while it serves me well.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
there is a reason why people stick to their mains regardless of a bad match up and its the reason KBizzle said.

Knowing your character inside and out has its stratigic advantedges.

NNID
Budget_Player
there is a reason why people stick to their mains regardless of a bad match up and its the reason KBizzle said.

Knowing your character inside and out has its stratigic advantedges.
Yes. Now why are you continuing to invest/waste time with your current main instead of MK/Snake/Diddy, the characters who have a chance at the highest level?

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
read the thread and OP please before posting
Speak for yourself, because you seem to be missing the point that was made.

And on that note, have you done anything noteworthy with the mindset that you embrace? The black-and-white "they're either completely good or completely bad with no option of viability or use whatsoever" mindset.

I prefer to remain in the gray, to consider everything, embrace and understand all options available. I suppose that explains why I've ended up maining a character that is dead center on the current list and sub Diddy and MK for matchups I personally cannot handle with Peach. For example, Peach > my MK against ICs imo, at least when it comes to me playing against them, therefore she serves enough purpose to remain in my lineup. Wario is another good reason for that. Diddy covers MK if I cannot handle the respective MK player with her, and MK covers Falco just because the Peach/Falco matchup is obnoxious to play.

I'm not saying you're wrong by any means. You just don't consider enough about this game imo.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Yes. Now why are you continuing to invest/waste time with your current main instead of MK/Snake/Diddy, the characters who have a chance at the highest level?
Why do you care, just **** my non top tier main and take my money. If someone picked lower listed character on the tier list, then they did it for whatever reason they wanted to.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Speak for yourself, because you seem to be missing the point that was made.
i made the thread ******, not my fault its above your comprehension

And on that note, have you done anything noteworthy with the mindset that you embrace? The black-and-white "they're either completely good or completely bad with no option of viability or use whatsoever" mindset.
i dont really know what the point of that was. i have beaten good players before, but i dont like to cite specific tournament sets, so pointless. and i never said theyre completely good or bad, idk where you get this garbage from. god **** i swear its just peach mains that are this butthurt all the time.

I prefer to remain in the gray, to consider everything, embrace and understand all options available. I suppose that explains why I've ended up maining a character that is dead center on the current list and sub Diddy and MK for matchups I personally cannot handle with Peach. For example, Peach > my MK against ICs imo, at least when it comes to me playing against them, therefore she serves enough purpose to remain in my lineup. Wario is another good reason for that. Diddy covers MK if I cannot handle the respective MK player with her, and MK covers Falco just because the Peach/Falco matchup is obnoxious to play.

I'm not saying you're wrong by any means. You just don't consider enough about this game imo.
you arent even saying the point of this thread. youre using secondarys, Defensively, aka your characters so bad you have to cover matchups for her. im saying, CP with those niggs, and make your opponent optionless

stop being honorable people and make characters that have 7:3 or worse matchups be forced to play them.

there is literally no reason why everyone doesnt have a pocket ics, falco, D3, snake, mk, essentially all top and high tier characters that just absolutely **** 90% of the cast.

i see so many people play characters like fox in tournament, and stay mk, or go snake or something and im like wtf is wrong you. go ice climbers and double blind that ******, fox is not viable. or you see someone go D3, GO FALCO. i dont really see how a lot of characters make it out of pools, they are unviable as mains.

i see san winning with ike. WHERE ARE THE OLIMARS. char is mad easy to play, and 99-1s ike. not to knock san, hes an amazing player. i see yoshis and ZSS's place, where are the falcos? i see GaWs place, where are the diddy kongs?!?

if there is a character that has a 7:3 or harder matchup, you have no excuse to lose to them, at least on your cp. get your pocket top tiers out, time people out, and show people how gay this game is. kthnxbai
Let me ask you a question. Do you only play to win? People are not playing to win for honor or anything of the sort using character less than tournament capable. They are playing to play a character they prefer to play as because of the particular style the character has, or simply because they like the character in general for whatever reasons. Many play because they know winning is not everything as this OP paints a very vivid picture that winning is everything to the point where you MUST use the very best of the best. Really, what reward is there in winning anyway?

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Above my comprehension? Peach main/Butthurt? (originally a Brawl Marth main and still a Melee Fox main, get *****)

Lol it's so obvious that you're a troll if those are the kind of responses you provide.

Fine, view things the way you do, and continue to remain in obscurity while you play this game due to close-mindedness. Not like it matters to me. ;D

Fine, view things the way you do, and continue to remain in obscurity while you play this game due to close-mindedness. Not like it matters to me. ;D
Sorry, I find that a bit hard to believe when you reply like the way you have thus far. It seems to me you really do care :laugh:

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Sorry, I find that a bit hard to believe when you reply like the way you have thus far. It seems to me you really do care :laugh:
Hardly.

And I didn't finish my statement. "Not like it matters to me, but my wallet certainly welcomes it, be it a MM or whatever". xD

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
Much of the time it has nothing to do with honor and a lot to do with the satisfaction of doing well with a character that doesn't have such a large advantage over most of the other characters and/or actually requires skill and extreme practice to win with.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I haven't watched neo vs Ally. Don't really watch anymore Marth vids anymore.
Well, I'm sure you've watched Haze videos, it's more obvious with them cause he notices it better (whether consciously or unconsciously) and takes much better advantage of it.

If you haven't, I can't see how you claim to understand marth's metagame.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Well, I'm sure you've watched Haze videos, it's more obvious with them cause he notices it better (whether consciously or unconsciously) and takes much better advantage of it.

If you haven't, I can't see how you claim to understand marth's metagame.
I'm surprised you have this much patience to put up with this this kind of trolling or arrogance. For whatever reason he continues to believe that Marth is a terrible character, no matter what evidence is put in front of him.

It's like when I had to explain to someone how Link has good KO power when they were saying his KO power was comparable to Sonic's.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'm surprised you have this much patience to put up with this this kind of trolling or arrogance. For whatever reason he continues to believe that Marth is a terrible character, no matter what evidence is put in front of him.

It's like when I had to explain to someone how Link has good KO power when they were saying his KO power was comparable to Sonic's.
My school melee power rankings created an award named after me, it was for timing matches out consistently, lol

I'm a patient person by nature, also a little stubborn.

Bahaha, somebody still thinks character boards have anybody in the community has accurate matchup data.

Fixed.

As of right now, our methods of analyzing match-up ratios are fundamentally flawed, and the best we can hope for are very rough estimates.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
As of right now, our methods of analyzing match-up ratios are fundamentally flawed, and the best we can hope for are very rough estimates.
Hey, I have accurate information!

Dittos are all 5:5 except for Snake, Link, and Toon Link dittos where the person with port priority has a small advantage.

:3

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

Dittos are all 5:5 except for Snake, Link, and Toon Link dittos where the person with port priority has a small advantage.

Lol, ok, you got me there.

Well, how do we get accurate matchup data, bro?
Working on making an accurate framework, but first step is incorperating mix-up potential.

Orion*

Smash Researcher

obama falcon > other falcons

Ganon is like training weights and then when you go up the tiers, you drop the weights and you get access to more/better tools that enable you to do better lol.

Clai, try maining Bowser or Ike. Similar characters that are infinitely better.
no. not true at all. maybe like, mario, sonic, marth, ect. chars that have a lot of very specific options, that require a lot of work to win, then i can see the argument for that. however the characters you listed have like 2 options in relevant matchups, you arent learning much.

Above my comprehension? Peach main/Butthurt? (originally a Brawl Marth main and still a Melee Fox main, get *****)

Lol it's so obvious that you're a troll if those are the kind of responses you provide.

A. marth main -> youre still butthurt. idc about melee, you probably sucked and this is brawl tactical thread.

B. if im a troll, youre a ogre.

C. k it doesnt matter to you. remain butthurt and losing in a bad region

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Right. I'm actually ranked in my state/region and you're...some random "MKguy3684" I guess?...in yours. How good my region is as a whole is subjective. Nice job on proving your own mediocrity though. ;)

Alright my question is...Mods, he already made his "point" (although already widely considered as common sense from a competitive standpoint) in the OP and numerous times throughout the thread, sat in here and posted one liners while boasting an unreasonably dismissive attitude, and his latest comments only amount to the trollish crap such as what is posted from him above. Why is this thread still open? It looks as if all progressive discussion had ceased a while ago, if there was any to begin with.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Right. I'm actually ranked in my state/region and you're...some random "MKguy3684" I guess?...in yours. How good my region is as a whole is subjective. Nice job on proving your own mediocrity though. ;)

Alright my question is...Mods, he already made his "point" (although already widely considered as common sense from a competitive standpoint) in the OP and numerous times throughout the thread, sat in here and posted one liners while boasting an unreasonably dismissive attitude, and his latest comments only amount to the trollish crap such as what is posted from him above. Why is this thread still open? It looks as if all progressive discussion had ceased a while ago, if there was any to begin with.
Orion is actually ranked 9th in NJ, bro.

I actually can't wait to see KB's reaction to this.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
youre ranked in... ohio? LOL good job. i care because? big_M is ranked in new jersey, so im not surprised that you could achieve such a high feat for yourselves. CONGRATULATIONS on getting ranked. IT MATTERS.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
That's like asking "what's up with humans and pride?"

It's simple. Humans are prideful, end of story. In translates in the way we play video games also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom