• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What other IPs or companies would you want to see platform fighters of?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
It can be a crossover, or not. You can also further discuss any ideas proposed if you desire.

Personally, some choices for mine would be:
  1. Mario-exclusive Smash spin-off (especially if characters introduced in it could later get in the real Smash)
  2. Disney villains.
  3. Microsoft
  4. Sega (not Sonic specifically)
  5. Crash Bandicoot
  6. Warner Bros.
I might elaborate on these choices later.

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
Give me an all-Fire Emblem version of Smash, just so I can laugh at the haters.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
A couple at the top of my mind

Fighting Games
Rare
Square Enix

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
The only game that could potentially make me drop Smash would be a platform fighter starring only characters from Disney's animated shows. Even if you skip characters from shows based on movies, you've got yourself a very interesting cast...

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Cartoon Network: The most wanted game of all time for me, outside of a Castlevania 2 remake, is a NEW Cartoon Network platform fighter. I grew up on CN far more than Nick. Ed Edd N Eddy, the original PPG, Billy and Mandy, Classic Ben 10, KND, Foster's Home, Camp Lazlo, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Samurai Jack, Regular Show, do i need to go on? CN has a massive roster that i find more interesting than Nick's, ad has the potential to be more interesting to me than Nintendo's own line up. PTE was a great idea, but it sucked ass. I want this concept to be done again and with passion.

Imagine if the Eds get in and their sound design is based on the Cartoons, which is another thing that this game could do, A lot of CN shows have unique sound effects for their shows and could be used, plus the wacky characters would give us another Fighting game that relies on Silly Characters instead of just "Serious" ones like most on the market. There's also the possibility of "guest" characters, like Tom and Jerry or Shaggy and Scooby, to showcase Cartoon Network's origins as a channel that aired old cartoons. My only real concern, outside of it being possibly a cheap cashgrab is that the roster would feature too much characters i don't like as i don't particularily care for any CN-original cartoon aired after 2012, so i hope it is heavily biased towards the Cartoon Cartoons era, plus some of their more popular early 2010's shows (but please bring back Chowder and Flapjack) i also hope that it doesn't overindulge in Superheroes, because i can see this game's "Anime Swordsman" becoming "UGH, NOT ANOTHER COMIC BOOK SUPERHERO" (well, DC mostly in this case but you get the idea)

That and please do not put Adult Swim characters (Jack doesn't count as he was a CN character first) i don't really want to see the likes of Rick here (even if Eric Andre is the only good live action thing to ever come out of CN, im not joking)

SEGA: Duh. While i'm not a major Sega fan, i do recognize their massive library of characters, and i find them appealing enough to make a whole roster out of them. Sumo Digital really should have done a Sega All Stars Platform Fighter. My only concern, outside of it being 60% Sonic, is that i hope it's more like Sega All Stars racing with the funny mascots with characters like Samba De Amigo, Gillius Thunderhead and the Bonanza Bros and less like Project X Zone's, outside of minor exceptions like Axel Stone.

Also you are required by law to add Sketch Turner, no ifs and buts.

Dragon Ball: I mean, sure i wouldn't mind a Shonen Jump Platform Fighter, but i care about like........6 franchises out of the entire Shonen Jump catalogue, and because of that i would rather stick to one franchise instead, and Dragon Ball just kinda feels the best fit for a platform fighter. Not only is this almost uncharted territory outside of their appearance in Jump Super Stars and Ultimate Stars. There's really not much to say here for now. Dragon Ball loves fighting games, Platform Fighters would be a nice change of pace from most DB games, and DB FighterZ proves that DB is capable of making competitively viable games. This just feels like a natural step. Just don't fill it up with multiple Gokus this time (outside of the Kid one, give OG DB some love)

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, you know what? I'm going to pitch something actively ridiculous...

Super Smash Broadway: The Musical Crossover Platform Fighter.

Covering decades of musical theatre, this platform fighter brings together some of the biggest names in musicals and lets them punch each other in the face. And I'm going to make a roster for it - starting with 22 characters, just like Nick All-Star Brawl has.

Now, originally I thought I'd make this 100% original musical theatre characters only, then I remembered that... most famous musicals are adaptations of books, movies, etc. So, I will be including adaptations of history and public domain works, but I am (with exactly one exception) going to ignore licensed musicals. This isn't a slight towards licensed musicals - they are wonderful - but I'm attempting to make the roster small to begin and I think Disney alone would open an extensive pandora's box, nevermind all of the other characters like the Cat in the Hat, Willy Wonka, and SpongeBob, who have famous musicals in their own rights.

I am also going to be taking the Nick All-Stars Brawl approach to character choice - not every show is represented by the protagonist, if I feel like a side-character would lend themself to an unique moveset better. I also am imagining this hypothetical game would give a majority of the characters alts like the Villager has in Smash - so hair colour, eye colour, skin tone, etc. changes across the alts, as most musical characters don't have defined physical characteristics.

Finally, please note that my inclusion of a show is not an endorsement of the quality of the show. Some of the older shows especially haven't aged entirely well, but I still included characters from them in reference to their legacy in the history of the medium.

So, on that note, let's put together a roster!
  • Annie (Annie Get Your Gun, 1946): The sharpshooter Annie functions as a zoner in this game, with strong range but poor options when firing in close quarters.
  • Sky Masterson (Guys and Dolls, 1951): The gambler with a heart of gold has a trick moveset, pulling out a variety of props from his show - dice, picket signs, booze, and more.
  • Eliza Doolittle (My Fair Lady, 1957): The flower seller who becomes a duchess uses a refined fighting style, smacking people around with her umbrella.
  • Professor Harold Hill (The Music Man, 1958): The confidence man from out of town has a musical-themed moveset, pulling out the various instruments that he sold to the youths of River City to form a kit filled with a thematically-appropriate amount of mix-ups and tricky maneuvers.
  • Bernardo (West Side Story, 1958): Getting the invite over the Romeo and Juliet of the show, the Tybalt of West Side Story Bernardo charges in as an aggressive close-range fighter.
  • Conrad Birdie (Bye Bye Birdie, 1961): The rock n' roll legend who got drafted into the army shows his bad boy side in the world of Smash, throwing fists, downing bears, an generally not giving much of a crap about others.
  • Don Quixote (Man of La Mancha, 1966): Charging into battle, the frequently-misguided Don Quixote is our anime swordsman equivalent.
  • Pippin (Pippin, 1973): The lead of a show that basically has no forth wall adapts nicely to the world of Smash, performing the role of the game's shoto archetype.
  • Dorothy Gale (The Wiz, 1975): The woman in the wonderful land of Oz fights with a click of her heals and the strength of her will. She's an agile fighter, but not always the best at actually knocking someone off the stage.
  • Dr. Frank-N-Furter (The Rocky Horror Show, 1975): The alien from Transylvania fights with his signature suave and powers. His high-kicks have a tipper mechanic on the tips of his shoes!
  • Sweeney Todd (Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, 1979): The famous killer barber fights using his razor... this one is pretty self-explanatory.
  • Magical Mr. Mistoffelees (Cats, 1983): Firing lasers and incorporating his famous fouetté turns, Mistoffelees is basically a ballet-dancing wizard who has strong range and agility, but most of his attacks don't do that much damage.
  • Georges Seurat (Sunday in the Park with George, 1984): The famous artist is interrupted by a fight in the midst of painting his masterpiece and so he acts as the game's summoning character, painting various allies from Sunday in the Park to attack on his behalf, a la how Adeleine works in Kirby: Star Allies.
  • Jean Valjean (Les Miserables, 1987): Valjean puts his battle skills to the test, fighting with a firearm and bayonet.
  • Javert (Les Miserables, 1987): Following his rival into the world of Smash, Javert has a more calculated variation on Valjean's kit.
  • The Phantom of the Opera (The Phantom of the Opera, 1988): The Phantom of the Opera has... the powers of the Phantom of the Opera. And, yes, if this hypothetical game had final smashes, he would drop a chandelier onto the stage.
  • Elphaba (Wicked, 2004): Elphaba defies gravity and also my self-imposed restrictions on licensed musicals. She does magic.
  • Usnavi de la Vega (In the Heights, 2008): Usnavi is another trick fighter, fighting using a variety of items stocked at his bodega.
  • Alexander Hamiliton (Hamilton, 2016): Hamilton is this game's Mario, in that he has a well-rounded beginner-friendly kit because most of the audience will recognize who he is. The world does, indeed, know his name.
  • Angelica Schuyler (Hamilton, 2016): The eldest Schuyler Sister puts her muscles to Work! with a moveset based on a lot of the most famous choreography done by the Schuylers in the show.
  • Jared Kleinman (Dear Evan Hansen, 2017): As the Nigel Thornberry pick of this game, Jared gets in over his musical's protagonist just because I think it'd be funny to have a moveset made for him (and also because Evan would canonically run and hide from anything resembling the conflict of Smash).
  • Emma Nolan and Alyssa Greene (The Prom, 2019): Finally, the women who just wanted to dance with each other get the chance to dance in the world of Smash. Acting as a duo character, the pair remain hand-in-hand dancing for all of their attacks, but have a stance mechanic where you can change who is leading the dance - Alyssa is more agile, while Emma has reduced knockback, in reference to her consistent strength and ability to stand firm throughout the show.
I think that covers a decent sloth of Broadway history while also representing a unique set of mechanics! Additionally, as a bonus easter egg to close this hypothetical out, the game's announcer would be the famous musical theatre fanboy from The Drowsy Chaperone, Man In Chair.

How's that for a concept for a game that has a literal 0% chance of ever happening?

cashregister9

Smash Hero
A Super Hero Time platform fighter

Super Hero Time is a TV block in japan that contains Tokusatsu made mostly by Toei.
I made a really extravagant roster for something like that a while ago

These franchises have infinite potential for video games but a lot of times they are less than stellar. This game if it were to exist could have a Form change mechanic for almost all characters as Kamen Rider especially is defined by the characters many forms.

Another franchise that could be cool is a Marvel one, This is one I'm actually shocked hasn't been attempted yet.

Last edited:

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Okay, you know what? I'm going to pitch something actively ridiculous...

Super Smash Broadway: The Musical Crossover Platform Fighter.

Covering decades of musical theatre, this platform fighter brings together some of the biggest names in musicals and lets them punch each other in the face. And I'm going to make a roster for it - starting with 22 characters, just like Nick All-Star Brawl has.

Now, originally I thought I'd make this 100% original musical theatre characters only, then I remembered that... most famous musicals are adaptations of books, movies, etc. So, I will be including adaptations of history and public domain works, but I am (with exactly one exception) going to ignore licensed musicals. This isn't a slight towards licensed musicals - they are wonderful - but I'm attempting to make the roster small to begin and I think Disney alone would open an extensive pandora's box, nevermind all of the other characters like the Cat in the Hat, Willy Wonka, and SpongeBob, who have famous musicals in their own rights.

I am also going to be taking the Nick All-Stars Brawl approach to character choice - not every show is represented by the protagonist, if I feel like a side-character would lend themself to an unique moveset better. I also am imagining this hypothetical game would give a majority of the characters alts like the Villager has in Smash - so hair colour, eye colour, skin tone, etc. changes across the alts, as most musical characters don't have defined physical characteristics.

Finally, please note that my inclusion of a show is not an endorsement of the quality of the show. Some of the older shows especially haven't aged entirely well, but I still included characters from them in reference to their legacy in the history of the medium.

So, on that note, let's put together a roster!
  • Annie (Annie Get Your Gun, 1946): The sharpshooter Annie functions as a zoner in this game, with strong range but poor options when firing in close quarters.
  • Sky Masterson (Guys and Dolls, 1951): The gambler with a heart of gold has a trick moveset, pulling out a variety of props from his show - dice, picket signs, booze, and more.
  • Eliza Doolittle (My Fair Lady, 1957): The flower seller who becomes a duchess uses a refined fighting style, smacking people around with her umbrella.
  • Professor Harold Hill (The Music Man, 1958): The confidence man from out of town has a musical-themed moveset, pulling out the various instruments that he sold to the youths of River City to form a kit filled with a thematically-appropriate amount of mix-ups and tricky maneuvers.
  • Bernardo (West Side Story, 1958): Getting the invite over the Romeo and Juliet of the show, the Tybalt of West Side Story Bernardo charges in as an aggressive close-range fighter.
  • Conrad Birdie (Bye Bye Birdie, 1961): The rock n' roll legend who got drafted into the army shows his bad boy side in the world of Smash, throwing fists, downing bears, an generally not giving much of a crap about others.
  • Don Quixote (Man of La Mancha, 1966): Charging into battle, the frequently-misguided Don Quixote is our anime swordsman equivalent.
  • Pippin (Pippin, 1973): The lead of a show that basically has no forth wall adapts nicely to the world of Smash, performing the role of the game's shoto archetype.
  • Dorothy Gale (The Wiz, 1975): The woman in the wonderful land of Oz fights with a click of her heals and the strength of her will. She's an agile fighter, but not always the best at actually knocking someone off the stage.
  • Dr. Frank-N-Furter (The Rocky Horror Show, 1975): The alien from Transylvania fights with his signature suave and powers. His high-kicks have a tipper mechanic on the tips of his shoes!
  • Sweeney Todd (Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, 1979): The famous killer barber fights using his razor... this one is pretty self-explanatory.
  • Magical Mr. Mistoffelees (Cats, 1983): Firing lasers and incorporating his famous fouetté turns, Mistoffelees is basically a ballet-dancing wizard who has strong range and agility, but most of his attacks don't do that much damage.
  • Georges Seurat (Sunday in the Park with George, 1984): The famous artist is interrupted by a fight in the midst of painting his masterpiece and so he acts as the game's summoning character, painting various allies from Sunday in the Park to attack on his behalf, a la how Adeleine works in Kirby: Star Allies.
  • Jean Valjean (Les Miserables, 1987): Valjean puts his battle skills to the test, fighting with a firearm and bayonet.
  • Javert (Les Miserables, 1987): Following his rival into the world of Smash, Javert has a more calculated variation on Valjean's kit.
  • The Phantom of the Opera (The Phantom of the Opera, 1988): The Phantom of the Opera has... the powers of the Phantom of the Opera. And, yes, if this hypothetical game had final smashes, he would drop a chandelier onto the stage.
  • Elphaba (Wicked, 2004): Elphaba defies gravity and also my self-imposed restrictions on licensed musicals. She does magic.
  • Usnavi de la Vega (In the Heights, 2008): Usnavi is another trick fighter, fighting using a variety of items stocked at his bodega.
  • Alexander Hamiliton (Hamilton, 2016): Hamilton is this game's Mario, in that he has a well-rounded beginner-friendly kit because most of the audience will recognize who he is. The world does, indeed, know his name.
  • Angelica Schuyler (Hamilton, 2016): The eldest Schuyler Sister puts her muscles to Work! with a moveset based on a lot of the most famous choreography done by the Schuylers in the show.
  • Jared Kleinman (Dear Evan Hansen, 2017): As the Nigel Thornberry pick of this game, Jared gets in over his musical's protagonist just because I think it'd be funny to have a moveset made for him (and also because Evan would canonically run and hide from anything resembling the conflict of Smash).
  • Emma Nolan and Alyssa Greene (The Prom, 2019): Finally, the women who just wanted to dance with each other get the chance to dance in the world of Smash. Acting as a duo character, the pair remain hand-in-hand dancing for all of their attacks, but have a stance mechanic where you can change who is leading the dance - Alyssa is more agile, while Emma has reduced knockback, in reference to her consistent strength and ability to stand firm throughout the show.
I think that covers a decent sloth of Broadway history while also representing a unique set of mechanics! Additionally, as a bonus easter egg to close this hypothetical out, the game's announcer would be the famous musical theatre fanboy from The Drowsy Chaperone, Man In Chair.

How's that for a concept for a game that has a literal 0% chance of ever happening?
this is simultaneously the best and worst idea i've heard in a long time

amageish

Smash Master
this is simultaneously the best and worst idea i've heard in a long time
I am choosing to take that as a compliment haha...

I spent like 4 hours today thinking about the proper ways to represent musical theatre in a fighting game and I do not know if there is anything else I have done in my life that summarizes the core aspects of my personality then that much dedication to an entirely pointless thought experiment. 😅

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I feel like JJBA would work bizarrely (haha i said the funny) well in a platform-fighter context, especially with some weird mechanics unique to each character that very much change how the game can play depending on your own picks.
2. SEGA. Look, this goes without saying for me - I'm a massive SEGA fan, and I'd personally say that SEGA are actually one of the only other companies with enough beloved IPs to equal that of Nintendo, making a crossover fighter an absolute no-brainer.
3. Fighting Games in general. Sort of goes without saying, but I love the idea that each of them has mechanics from their original game. Just make sure Morrigan is in her original spritework to piss off the Marvel VS SNK fans and it's perfect. (I only jest.)
4. Indie Games! Look, I get that Fraymakers and Indiepogo exist, but I'd adore to see a crazy sort of thing like that in a similar vein to Smash.

And, my main one:

5. Famicom Fighters, or something to that effect. Essentially Smash Bros, but focusing on the older picks, a Retro Revival of sorts. I'd love to see it in an NES style, but improved a'la Blaster Master Zero, and with all the bells and whistles of modern titles whilst also having a "fictional release date," cutting off speculation at specific years. It would take on 3rd Parties, but it would only take them where it makes sense - characters like Mega Man, Bill Rizer, SOPHIA, etc. Hell, maybe a sequel in the form of Super Famicom Fighters could work with a SNES style!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I mentioned this as a status, but I'd love a Simpsons platform fighter. Say what you will about The Simpsons Wrestling, but it had some really funny concepts for what the Springfieldians could do in the ring - Ned Flanders getting revived like Jesus, playable Smithers with Mr. Burns getting the credit, Marge as a semi-puppet master with Maggie, so on.

My idea:
NEWGROUNDS ALL-STARS RUMBLE!

Newgrounds Allstars Rumble would be a NG-Smash Clone and possible sequel to obscure NG game called NG Rumble. I have ideas for that game:
Roster:​
1. Pico
2. Darnell
3. Tankman
4. Alien Hominid
5. Castle Crasher
6. Meatboy
7. Isaac
8. Boyfriend
9. Skid and Pump
10. Hank
11. Tricky
12. Convict
13. Dad n Me
14. Henry Stickmin
15. Impostor
16. Edd Gould
17. Alloy
18. P-bot
19. Piconjo
20. PodChan
Guest Roster:​
1. Mario (Nintendo)
2. Link (Nintendo)
3. Inkling (Nintendo)
4. Kirby (Nintendo)
5. Master Chief (XBOX)
6. Banjo-Kazooie (XBOX)
7. Joanna Dark (XBOX)
8. DoomGuy (XBOX)
9. Kratos (PS)
10. Sackboy (PS)
11. Kat (PS)
12. Ratchet and Clank (PS)
13. Heavy (PC)
14. Gordon Freeman (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog (SEGA representation, but exclusively on Nintendo)
16. MegaMan (Capcom rep, but exclusively on PS)

There are gonna be Items, Stages, Assists, bosses and other Stuff based on Newgrounds.

The Final Boss of Arcade Mode and Adventure is Tabuu-esque Tom Fulp, who is fought on Final Moon Arena in Newgrounds All-stars Rumble.

Additional Information:​
  • Has Crossplay between Consoles and PC.
  • It has Rollback Netcode.
  • Includes Wavedashing and other Smash Techniques.
  • Has Voice Acting of Characters.
  • Has better competitive online than SSBU.
  • The Game is made by Bandai Namco, Behemoth, Newgrounds and others who are VG Companies who are association with Newgrounds.
  • It does have in-built Voice Chat.
  • It has possible PolyMod support like making mods in Steam Workshop.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
You know how the background of the first Smash seems to be that the characters were dolls/figures made to fight by a kid who lives in the room? Imagine a platform fighter that goes full blast on that idea that you're making a bunch of your toys in your toybox fight with many characters that started out or at least famous for their toys. While it'd probably be a licensing nightmare if there are competing toy companies. Here's what you could envision:

From Lego you could have obviously A Lego person character (Perhaps the main character of the Lego Movie), and/or a Bionicle fighter.

From Hasbro alone (tbh a Hasbro specific one would probably be possible on it's own) there'd be so many options starting with Transformers characters and most certainly the Mane 6 (Or at the very least ones that make most sense to fight if roster number is tight such as Twilight and Rainbow Dash) from Generation 4 of My Little Pony. With G.I. Joe, a character made entirely of Playdoh, Mr. Potato Head, and if we include board/card games then there's the Monopoly mascot, Magic: The Gathering, Clue (The fighter using the items that you can accuse of others of having when you guess how they did the murder) and probably more that I'm missing.

From Mattel there would be Barbie, a Hot wheels car, as well as He-Man characters as possibilities.

There's be alot more that I'm missing in this short post probably. Maybe mostly on the Disney side of things but I assume Disney is so huge (Especially if you include the Marvel and Star Wars characters under their grasp now) it could make it's own.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
From Mattel, there would be Barbie, a Hot Wheels car, as well as He-Man characters as possibilities.
As long as we don't include Thomas as a playable character with All Engines Go! properties, because oh god.... they ruined so much of my childhood and it's British roots, even news said this straight about parents and kids hating on a reboot.

I honestly see the series being represented in it's original, non-bouncy, realism-based model roots (except S9 to 12 and a Miller era, minus 11 - also counts Brenner's CGI era; Seasons 17 to 21, which we'll borrow an aesthetic) as a stage, at least.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
blows dust off thread

How did I not see this thread? But, since we now have a Warner Bros platfighter as well as an indie one coming out soon. Here are some IPs/companies I want to get platfighters.

1. PBS Kids/PBS (This should be obvious but I always loved the idea and it sounds super wacky. I want to see how most of their movesets would work.)

2. Food/advertising mascots (This would be really funny but extremely unlikely)

3. Marvel (This would be just awesone, Marvel's fast paced nature suits a Melee-esque platfighter.)

4. Toys/Hasbro (Hasbro would work best for a sole company platfighter but toys themselves would be funny.)

5. Disney TVA (I just want Della Duck in something plus the roster would be interesting.)

Honorable mention to SNK, I heard they want to dabble more in platfighters so I am curious to see how they would do making one honestly.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Hear me out here: I think My Hero Academia specifically would be very well-suited to a platfighter.
(I did consider JJBA for this role, but the focus on spacing for nearly all Stand-using characters would feel... samey.)

When you stop to think about it:
  • Large, colourful ensemble cast of characters with varying abilities, designs, and personalities
  • Simple to understand, but multifaceted abilities with wide amounts of potential uses
  • Abilities that actually can promote a lot of verticality and unique styles that wouldn't be traditional of a "tradfighter"
  • An incredibly large number of characters to actually pull from, resulting in options for both "obvious" and more "obscure" picks
  • Generally fast-paced, colourful combat that has a focus on utilising the tools at your disposal in unique ways

It actually makes MHA a really solid pick for a platfighter. I think the only potential downer here could be stages, but even then, I'm sure there's a lot of locations to pull from. Thinking about it, a platfighter might even be better suited than an arena fighter given the faster pace - it'd really give the game a frantic and fun feel!

And you don't just have to stick to your Class 1-A mainstays, either. Here's a couple of concepts I think would be fun, despite being less likely inclusions!

Character NameImageFirst AppearanceBasic Playstyle/Personality
Cementoss​
Chapter 021 - In Each of Our Hearts
Literature teacher. Pro Hero. Cementoss is a calm and intelligent man of many talents, being a smart but also powerful hero who has the Quirk Cement - allowing him to control cement that he makes physical contact with.

I imagine that his basic moveset would feel like a combination of Kragg from RoA and Toph from NASB - having a focus on stage control and being able to create platforms, though struggling in the air and having a surprisingly slow speed as a result of this.​
Cellophane​
Chapter 006 - What I Can Do For Now
Hanta Sero is one of the 20 students part of U.A.'s Class 1-A, though is more of a side character than picks like Todoroki, Bakugou or Iida. His Quirk - Tape - allows him to fire streams of tape from his elbows, which he's also able to retract if required.

His moveset, I picture, would be an interesting fusion of an aerially-adept grappler - focused on long-range grappling and trapping tools, whilst also having an effective recovery and being able to get quite far off-stage before being in serious trouble. However, he does lack a little in direct attack power as a tradeoff for this skill.​

All in all, it feels (to me at least) like a really natural pick for a platfighter!

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd like to see a new Shonen Jump platform fighter. There were a few on the original DS (Jump Ultimate Stars being the only Japanese DS game that I own), but the franchises have expanded so much since then, and new franchises have came out in the past 16 years or so.

One Piece hadn't reached its time-skip when JUS came out (it was only in Enies Lobby), while Naruto had just began its own time-skip. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was much more obscure than it is now, and only part 3 was represented in the playable roster. Series like My Hero Academia and Chainsaw Man didn't exist, and Hunter x Hunter... has had a few new arcs since then?

Not all of Jump Ultimate Stars's roster would return (Shaman King was sold to Kodansha, so legally, it doesn't seem like it could be included, and the inclusion of some series feels like a product of the time that the game was made), but it would still give a solid base to work with.

I'm not sure what the roster would be if we're being realistic (it would be tough to take 50+ years of Shonen Jump history and distill it down, and the roster would likely be smaller than Jump Ultimate Stars since it wouldn't have a predecessor to work with), but I'd love to see it happen, and given Bandai-Namco's work on the Smash series and the fact that they've licensed most if not all of Jump's properties, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

I'll try to come up with a hypothetical roster, though it will be tough to squeeze everything in.

I'm going to try a roster of 35-36 characters at most - I realize that something around the range of 24 would be more realistic for a platform fighter with 3D graphics, but I can't even begin to imagine how tough it would be to cram all of Jump's history into a roster of that size.

The Really, Really, Really Obvious Picks

These series are ones that objectively need to be in here. You basically can't have a Jump crossover without them; they're easily the faces of the magazine.

Dragon Ball

1. Goku
2. Vegeta
3. Freeza
4. Gohan
5. Piccolo

I really don't think any of these need an explanation.

One Piece

6. Luffy
7. Zoro
8. Sanji
9. Jinbei
10. Hancock

Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji go without saying. Jinbei's a new addition to the crew, and visually distinct from the rest of the cast, while Hancock is insanely popular - she's been in the top ten of every single popularity poll since her introduction. (plus, shonen manga tends to be heavily male-focused; we could use some women)

Naruto

11. Naruto
12. Sasuke
13. Kakashi
14. Gaara
15. Hinata

As much as I want to throw a villain in here, it's tough when Naruto's cast is as large as it is. Naruto and Sasuke are obvious, Kakashi seems like an easy choice, Gaara has unique abilities, and Hinata is popular enough to get a whole movie based around her while having a fighting style that stands out among the Naruto cast due to its focus on rapid strikes over big punches. (plus, if there are any character interactions, the similarities to Hokuto Shinken could be fun to play with)

Bleach

16. Ichigo
17. Rukia
18. Aizen

I'm not as familiar with Bleach as I am with the other three (I read it weekly, but I didn't particularly care for it outside of a handful of characters), but Ichigo's the main character, Rukia's a major supporting character, and Aizen's the main villain that everyone remembers.

We're already halfway through the line-up, so this is going to be tough. Let's move on to...

Currently Running Hits

Obviously, we're going to have plenty of focus on series that are ongoing, since this game is promoting Shonen Jump.

Hunter x Hunter

19. Gon
20. Killua

I might leave some space in here for villains, or characters like Kurapika, but I feel like it's going to be tough to fit everyone in as it is.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

21. Jotaro
22. Jolyne
23. Dio
24. Yoshikage Kira

This was a tough one - I really wanted to include Joseph Joestar in here to reference the pre-Hamon parts, but 4 characters seemed like the limit for JoJo. Jotaro and Dio seem like they have to be here, Jolyne's from the most recent part in the anime, and Kira's a popular villain from a different part than the others.

My Hero Academia

25. Deku
26. Bakugo
27. Todoroki

The three most popular characters in the series by far; I wanted to include All Might in here, but I wasn't sure if I could justify that many MHA characters

Older Favourites

There are probably more currently running series that I could include, but we're down to nine characters at best, and it can't be all about the newcomers.

Kochikame

28. Ryotsu Kankichi

While it's not as well known as the action-oriented series, by my limited understanding, it's basically the Japanese version of the Simpsons - it ran for a really long time, spanning forty years, and it was immune to cancellation.

Dr. Slump

29. Arale Norimaki

Toriyama's pre-Dragon Ball hit, Arale's a fun comedic character and a Jump platform fighter veteran. If anyone's getting two series in here, it's Toriyama.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

30. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

And while we're on comedic characters, Bo-bobo is the most ridiculous series that I've seen; that alone earns it a spot in my eyes.

Yu Yu Hakusho

32. Yusuke Urameshi

Maybe I could include Hiei, Kurama, Kuwabara, or Younger Toguro, but we're rapidly running out of space here. Still, much like with Toriyama, it's hard to justify leaving out either of Togashi's hit series, though neither one will get as many characters as Dragon Ball.

Gintama

33. Gintoki

I'm not overly familiar with the series, but he seems like a popular character.

Fist of the North Star

34. Kenshiro

I really, really, really wanted to include Raoh in here. Maybe as DLC.

Rurouni Kenshin

35. Kenshin

Watsuki has a lot of personal issues, to put it mildly, but that hasn't stopped Rurouni Kenshin characters from being included in Jump Force, so it doesn't seem to impact this sort of thing.

Yu-Gi-Oh

36. Yugi

He'd make for an unorthodox fighter thanks to using cards and other game references as attacks, so that seems like it would be fun.

---

This was so difficult. I'm not a fan of Bakugo or Todoroki (Bakugo is unlikeable, while Todoroki is bland), but their inclusion felt obligatory as far as MHA characters go, and I really wanted to fit Raoh or Joseph Joestar in there. Plus, I feel like the roster is seriously lacking in both women (it's just Hancock, Hinata, Rukia, Jolyne, and Arale) and villains (it's just Freeza, Aizen, Dio, and Kira). I suppose that's what I get for limiting myself to 36, or for trying to cover as many series as possible, and even with all of that, there are probably some really obvious picks that I missed out on.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Dragonball Dragonball never really had a dedicated Platform Fighter and i think thats the perfect chance to make More Classic DB Chars Playable!
Every Era gets 5 Playable Characters with no transformations!
also the Extra Era is based arround Gt and the Movies
Son Goku (Kid)

Yamcha

Chi Chi

Kuririn

Tao Pai Pai
Son Goku (SSJ)

Piccolo

Gohan (Kid)

Vegeta (Evil)

Majin Buu
Vegeta (SSJB)

Master Roshi

Beerus

Freeza (Gold)

Broly (Rage)
Bardock

Janemba

Trunks

Pan

Super Baby
World Tournament Arena
A Smaller KOF Tournament Arena
Kame House
A Island Stage with Water arround it Water works the same as tn Smash you can also jump on the Roof
Kamis Look Out
Final Destination In Slightly Bigger
Spaceship
you fight on it it has a rounded roof and lower Gravity

West City
Flat Ground with a Round Capsule hose on the Left And a Bigger Rectanguler one one the Right
Open Fields
Multilpe Pillars come out from the Bottom Blast Zone!

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Here's a Disney Villain roster I made a while back. Couple of... odd picks in hindsight, but I suppose they could be worse overall - I think I've covered a lot of bases here at least. I've considered a lot of potential choices for this roster in the past (such as switching Kaa out with King Louie) but overall, I think this is one I'm happy with - plenty of unique and interesting picks from a wide variety of eras and with a couple of oddball inclusions to boot, whilst still being a pretty nice representation of Disney as a whole. The only potential exception is the Wicked Witch of the West, who in this case is technically based on Oz, The Great and Powerful but would generally be a representation of the character as a whole - yes, including the MGM film. She borders on being third-party but she feels... fitting.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Also how could i forget give us both:
A Kirby Fighters With a Great Roster aswell as
A Zelda Smash with the same logic as the first posters Mario Smash incorporating some of the chars into smash!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm going to try and come up with a Microsoft Smash clone roster. Since it would be the first game in a series, I'll try to stick to 24-26 characters, and no guest characters. (PlayStation All-Stars had guest characters in its first game, but since that wasn't an established property, it seemed like third party companies mainly used it as an opportunity to blatantly promote upcoming games, with Heihachi being the main/sole exception)

Full disclosure: I haven't played Xbox's main franchises in a while, so I might be out of date on some of them.

Halo

1. Master Chief
2. The Arbiter
3. Locke
4. Warden Eternal

Gears of War

5. Marcus Fenix
6. Kait Diaz
7. General RAAM

Rare

8. Banjo-Kazooie
9. Gruntilda
10. Conker
11. Rash
12. Joanna Dark
13. Fulgore
14. Lupus
15. Kameo

Activision-Blizzard

16. Kerrigan
17. Diablo
18. Tracer
19. Thrall
20. Crash
21. Spyro

Others

22. Steve (Minecraft)
23. Razputin (Psychonauts)
24. Manny (Grim Fandango)
25. Doomguy (DOOM)
26. Dovahkiin (Skyrim)

Characters that I thought about including but didn't have the space for:

-a Call Of Duty character - I'm not familiar enough with the franchise to know who would make for an interesting character, or if anyone would
-Eddie Riggs from Brutal Legend - I really wanted to include him, but he'd basically need Jack Black to voice him, and I don't know how realistic that would be
-BJ Blazkowicz - I wasn't sure what would help to set him apart from other gun users, and Doomguy and Dovahkiin seem far more interesting as far as Bethesda characters go (since I was running out of space at the end and only had room for two)
-a car from Forza, similar to Hornet from Fighters Megamix - if I had room for one more character, I'd be tempted to go with this, but it was tough enough to fit everyone in here as it is

Admittedly, I wasn't sure about including Locke and Kait as separate characters (I haven't played the later games in those franchises), but my thinking is that Marcus and Master Chief could be based on the earlier installments, while Locke and Kait could use abilities that were added later. Maybe they could be removed and replaced with someone else; I feel like there has to be some major Microsoft-owned game or franchise that I unknowingly overlooked.

I'm a bit iffy about including Warden Eternal, but I wanted to include a human-sized Halo villain, and my options seemed to be him or Ur-Didact, who isn't as distinct-looking.

(also, I'm working under the assumption that the Activision-Blizzard deal will go through; if it doesn't, then that frees up a lot of room)

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here's a Disney Villain roster I made a while back. Couple of... odd picks in hindsight, but I suppose they could be worse overall - I think I've covered a lot of bases here at least. I've considered a lot of potential choices for this roster in the past (such as switching Kaa out with King Louie) but overall, I think this is one I'm happy with - plenty of unique and interesting picks from a wide variety of eras and with a couple of oddball inclusions to boot, whilst still being a pretty nice representation of Disney as a whole. The only potential exception is the Wicked Witch of the West, who in this case is technically based on Oz, The Great and Powerful but would generally be a representation of the character as a whole - yes, including the MGM film. She borders on being third-party but she feels... fitting.

Just a personal thing or whatever but I would replace Horned King with the Headless Horseman from Ichabod and Mr Toad. Good roster though

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Alright here's my idea for a Data East platform fighter:
1. Karnov (Karnov's Revenge)
2. Makoto (Fighter's History)
3. Ryoko (Fighter's History)
4. Clown (Fighter's History)
5. Chelnov (Atomic Runner Chelnov
6. Peter Pepper (Burger Time)
7. Blade (Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja)
8. Joe & Mac (Joe & Mac)
9. Gork (Joe & Mac)
10. Sly (Sly Spy)
11. Justice (Magical Drop)
12. Captain Silver (Captain Silver)
13. Loris (Windjammers)
14. Klauss (Windjammers)

I would absolutely ADORE a fighting game centered around Disney animation. No Marvel, no Star Wars, no 20th Century Studios, not even Pixar or the Muppets. Just the theatrical shorts, WDAS movies, and TV shows is all I really need for a Disney crossover fighting game.

8. Joe & Mac (Joe & Mac)
9. Gork (Joe & Mac)
10. Sly (Sly Spy)
11. Justice (Magical Drop)
12. Captain Silver (Captain Silver)
13. Loris (Windjammers)
14. Klauss (Windjammers)
Day 1 Peter Pepper main, and secondary Joe & Mac main.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514