• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What happens when both players lose their last stock at the same time?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
There are 2 ways to get sudden death, one is by the game timing out when both players have the same stocks and that sudden death is ignored and the lower percent player wins.

The other way to get a sudden death is by both players losing their last stock on the same frame. While unlikely, this has happened a number of times and i'm sure we've all seen it at least once or in a video somewhere.

How does a TO handle this situation? Do we go off of percent just like if the game timed out or should the players play the sudden death or what?

Zodiac

Smash Master
It goes by percent, if everything is tied then they replay the last stock.

MT_

Smash Ace
Isn't determining who wins in a situation like this based off of percent biased against characters that take stocks primarily by gimping? Honestly I think that's also true with timing out, but never have I seen a tournament match time out. Then again, I haven't seen a tournament match go to sudden death from losing your stock on the same frame.

Just a thought.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
Yea, a tourney match of PC chris and M2K had this happen. I think they just replayed a match with one stock left.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
When this happens, the players HAVE to play another match. Any legal stage, DSR, chances are they will agree to play the same stage again. Basically I'd treat it like it didn't happen at all because at most I consider it a fluke and its the only fair way I believe it can be treated.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
I think determining by percent is dumb in this situation.

Either replay the whole match on the same stage, or the last stock on the same stage.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
at FC6 Omnigamer Kirbycided eightenspikes' Doc
It went to sudden death
While spikes was asking what happens when its a sudden death, Omnigamer quick ran up to eighteenspikes and KO'd him.

They didn't get to replay the match

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Just goes to show you how faulty the "official ruleset" is when things like this are liable to happen.

I mean, what's the point with the 8 minute time limit if NO MATCHES EVER RUN THE CLOCK?

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
I'll give you that, but really. It should be lowered to something like 4 minutes. Would give a whole lot more pressure towards players.

SolidLiquid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Avidist
I think determining by percent is dumb in this situation.

Either replay the whole match on the same stage, or the last stock on the same stage.
I agree. Certain characters win by building giant percentages. Others just go for a spike at around 50%. I'd say at least replay the last stock, regardless of percentage.

at FC6 Omnigamer Kirbycided eightenspikes' Doc
It went to sudden death
While spikes was asking what happens when its a sudden death, Omnigamer quick ran up to eighteenspikes and KO'd him.

They didn't get to replay the match
Lol, bummer.

Why not play sudden death, that would be awesome.
As far as I know, it's sort of unfair because of the speed of characters attacks. Falcon vs. say... DK? It would be extremely easy for Falcon to just land a quick blow. Even if the DK player pressed the attack button BEFORE the Falcon player, Falcon's move could still come out first.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
if it went by % i would just lie and say my % was way lower than it really was and nobody could prove anything

i probably wouldnt really do that, but seriously i probably wouldnt even know who had a higher % at the time if it was close at all

JPOBS

Smash Hero
They should Quit out, then it should go according to the total Style points awarded on the no contest screen.

That would be the manly way to do it.

salsa~

Smash Cadet
The question is.. what happen if they die at the same frame IN sudden death?

CaptainEvilStomper9

Smash Apprentice
We should all argue about for 10 pages even though the situation rarely occurs.

For real though I think they should replay the last stock (or game).

SolidLiquid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Avidist
We should all argue about for 10 pages even though the situation rarely occurs.

For real though I think they should replay the last stock (or game).
Hey, at least I explained something about why it wasn't fair and added to the conversation. And trust me, I've seen way worse and pointless arguments than this in my nearly 7 years here.

Magus420

Smash Master
i probably wouldnt really do that, but seriously i probably wouldnt even know who had a higher % at the time if it was close at all
This. Unlike a time out you don't really expect it to happen and would be keeping a close eye on the exact damages, and the percents also disappear the very instant you both die so after it happens it's already too late to look.

The question is.. what happen if they die at the same frame IN sudden death?
The player with port priority (lower numbered) gets the win iirc.

Quenk

Smash Apprentice
this can't be right?

why wouldn't you just play a one stock match again, its not like theres going to be a problem of two players dieing at the same time over and over.
I'm pretty sure that's just how the game chooses the winner. If it comes up in a tournament, it'll probably be up to the TO.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The old ruleset for Melee use to mention that this situation should be dealt with. The new ruleset has a bunch of oversights do to...well it being made by like 10 people.

The current MLG ruleset for Brawl stipulates that, in this situation
-Play a game on the SAME stage with the SAME character with ONE stock and 3 MINUTE timer.

This is for: players dying on same frame, players dying from suicide KO moves, matches timing out with percentages tied.

Percentage should definitely NOT be used as some determining factor because in Smash your percent is meaning less when it comes to a complete loss of stock. The only reason percent is used as a tie breaker when time runs out is because neither opponent succeeded in satisfying the removal of stock criteria. In the event BOTH players do then you clearly should not be using percent.

Top Bottom