• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Xbox + RE5 or PS3 + RE5? is the PS3 worth the extra money is really what I want to know.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
As far as I know, it's the same content on both. If RE5 is the only game you care about, 360 will save you more money and you'll get the same experience. I'd advise looking at the other games each system has before you make a decision though since it'll be a couple hundred bucks either way so you may as well get the most out of it.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I'm looking for a good, long (40hrs +) console game that is not First Person nor an RTS, and preferably not a JRPG. Xbox 360, PS2, or Nintendo DS; I already (literally) played all the games like this for the wii. I'm looking for something that at least equals Twilight Princess and is currently out; I haven't played a truely amazing game in months. And with outstand graphics would be nice, but not necesary.

Any suggestions?

Superstar

Smash Champion
@ Airwalkerr: There's Street Fighter, but I'm assuming you've already thought of that.

There's also Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead...but to be honest, none of them seem to have the replayability of Melee.

I'd suggest looking into TF2 if you can. It's a ton of fun and there's enough variation that you won't get bored too quickly, even if it isn't as great as Melee.

(I've put well over 500 hours into TF2. :-D)

Adding to this. Left 4 Dead, take that off. It's fun, but it's not deep. TF2 is pretty deep as a game, with a large learning curve [albeit not the largest], though it rewards team skill more than individual player skill. I don't know anything about Counter Strike, but I hear it's very competitive [DO NOT GET SOURCE].

You could also try SSB64. Not AS deep, but still pretty deep. It's better on console but there are guides in the Official Smash Index topic of the SSB64 forums.

Guilty Gear is awesome.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
@ The Halloween Captain: Try out Fallout 3 or Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
Thanks, but I have played both, and unfortunately had trouble enjoying them. They are both blatantly First Person, and Fallout 3 is an ugly game. There's nothing wrong with the graphics quality, but the setting, by the nature of post-nuclear apocalypse, is ugly. Although Oblivion can be made non-FP, I was also immediately discouraged by the complexity of the menu system and the need to organize my inventory prior to even leaving the first dungeon.

My biggest problem with FP's is that I always like being able to see my feet, and I like knowing what I'm getting hit by and from where. FP's are always a little imprecise in that reguard. Also, Wii FP's give me motion sickness (Metroid Prime 3).

The reason I own a wii as my primary system is not that I particularly like Nintendo, but the game style that the company makes is my favorite. They are almost all 3rd person, usually fairly easy to pick up and play, a lot of emphasis on puzzles (often moreso than combat), very inventive, and colorful, attractive landscapes (they also tend to be fairly long, but this isn't guarenteed). However, I played all the games on the Wii that metacritic gives a 90 or above that I'm interested in (six out of eight, including the top four). Now I'm looking for a truely great game on the Xbox 360 in the vein of action adventure, platformer, puzzle, absolutely not minigames, etc. or even the PS2 or DS if there is nothing of that nature on the 360 that can truely wow.

EDIT: On a side note, Pokemon Puzzle League is unbelievably deep. There are also two levels of higher insanity after hard, both of which are unlockable through a button combination. Everything unlockable in the game is unlocked through button combinations, which means it's easy to open up new content, and it only costs ten dollars on wiiware. It also has one of the hardest AI's ever; it will take you years to be able to consistantly beat Super Hard computers.

Superstar

Smash Champion
You can see your feet in L4D, your body even, but that's not what you're looking for in the least bit. Just saying that it would REALLY be nice if you could see your feet, would be more "immersive".

Ninty games used to be awesome. It's not my primary anymore because of the casual shift, but if they didn't, it'd still be my primary.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
You can see your feet in L4D, your body even, but that's not what you're looking for in the least bit. Just saying that it would REALLY be nice if you could see your feet, would be more "immersive".

Ninty games used to be awesome. It's not my primary anymore because of the casual shift, but if they didn't, it'd still be my primary.
Actually, it's really weird. Ninty isn't just not making hardcore games, it's not making games in general. It's first party release schedule is pathetic reguardless of who the audience is.

http://kotaku.com/5071872/the-great-2009-nintendo-release-schedule

Add Excitebots to the American release schedule and you have 6 games coming out in 2009, two of them "New Play Control!" That's not ignoring the hardcore, thats ignoring your entire install base.

But on topic, I guess the closest thing to what I'm looking for is a 3rd party ninty game on the Xbox 360. Does that exist as of now? Is there anything that is both "superb" and "close enough"?

Sensai

Smash Master
I think that seeing hands and feet would make games LESS immersive.

I mean, HL2 is so good because you _are_ Freeman...being able to see his hands/feet would be just as bad as hearing him talk, IMO.

/offtopic

@Halloween Captain: I'll rack my brain on the walk home from work.

Superstar

Smash Champion
But if you look down and see your feet, that's more like being in the actual game. Cause now your ingame self has a body.

You already see your hands in HL2, when you hold a weapon.

Hearing him talk is different because he's saying stuff out of your control.

I don't play 360, I don't know. =/

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I've heard nothing but good about Little King's Story, don't let the presentation fool you it's supposed to kick *** so stop sucking and get it (if you live in a PAL region) because it's selling like crap. I plan on picking it up as soon as I finish No More Heroes which should be in a few days.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I've heard nothing but good about Little King's Story, don't let the presentation fool you it's supposed to kick *** so stop sucking and get it (if you live in a PAL region) because it's selling like crap. I plan on picking it up as soon as I finish No More Heroes which should be in a few days.
Marvelous Entertainment may be providing the best third party support for the Wii as of now (with two AAEs and one AAAE with no shovelware to my knowledge), but can't they seriously take the time to advertise at least Little King's Story if not all of their games? You can make all of the great games you want, but you need to give them some ****ing commercials if you want them to sell decently! D:<

Note: I REALLY want them to succeed on the Wii.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
To be honest, I've heard of it but I don't live in the PAL region.

I'm always skeptical when a reviewer tells me something is good that no one buys, because both "Zack and Wiki" and "Okami" were overrated IMO. But I'm going to get Little King's Story because I know I like the genre. I have no problem buying a game with a kiddy presentation (I'm going to get Klonoa too.)

It's weird; I've played quite a few critically acclaimed flops, and I'm not totally sure why they are so critically acclaimed.

EDIT: Well, at least we know why this game's numbers are bad; check the comments: http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=25648

EDIT 2: Wait, it get's released on the same day as The Conduit.

Nothing but shovelware for a year and a half and the two best games of the year get released ON THE SAME DAY?!?!?!

Ah well, not much you can do about that.

Marvelous must have the worst PR department ever. European distribution problems, competing directly with "The Conduit," the most hyped game of the year stateside, and a general lack of any public awareness of the game. The PR department should be fired.

Calvin Harris

Smash Rookie
My mother is getting a Nintendo DS Phat soon from me and she is 45, What games will she like?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
My mother is getting a Nintendo DS Phat soon from me and she is 45, What games will she like?
I think Animal Crossing: Wild World is a good guess at something she'll like, too. And of course, Brain Age might appeal to her.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Got Little King's Story today :D haven't played it yet though.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Not what game should I get, but rather, I already have it. (cousin lent it to me)

Is Fallout 3 an instant classic? Is it anywhere near Mass Effect's awesomeness? I don't trust the review from GT.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I liked Fallout 3 at the start but grew bored of it rather quickly. Chances are if you liked Oblivion you'll like Fallout.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Oblivion is another game I HAVE but haven't started it. Is Fallout 3 like Mass Effect? Mass Effect's my favorite game. (Has beaten it 14 times:))

Sensai

Smash Master
Wow. 14 times? Jesus.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum: I have Mass Effect but haven't played it while I have literally beaten the crud out of Oblivion.

From what I understand, Oblivion is pretty much equatable with Fallout 3. From this, I can tell you that you'll like Fallout 3 if you enjoy really immersing yourself in gameplay, by which I mean that instead of blitzing through the story you spend a long time doing every little side quest or becoming headmaster of a thieves' guild.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Oblivion is another game I HAVE but haven't started it. Is Fallout 3 like Mass Effect? Mass Effect's my favorite game. (Has beaten it 14 times:))
I disliked the small amount of Fallout I've played and after having problems with my available inventory and drop down menus while still in the first dungeon, didn't ever leave the tutorial level of Oblivion.

Fallout is an FPS RPG. The biggest problem with Fallout is that no one in their right mind would actually want to live there. It is very brown, not an attractive place to look at, and while the design is brilliant the setting will always be a brown wasteland. I'm a huge fan of varied levels so I found this to be a problem immediately.

Lots of sidequests, which I enjoyed to an extent, but a brutal difficulty curve at the beginning, while enemies don't really get any better or worse as the game progresses, if my brother is to believed. This means there will be behemoths throughout the game, and they will just as strong at the beginning of the game as at the end, which is a problem at the beginning of the game when you only have weak weapons. I had a lot of trouble, as I entered the school with a bb-gun, unaware how dangerous and stupid that was.

Both Oblivion and Fallout are difficult games to get into. I didn't like Fallout because it had a long tutorial followed by pushing me almost immediately into people and creatures that were tougher than me and the landscape was very dull, brown, and ugly; and I immediately disliked Oblivion because it had me organizing my inventory and fiddling with a foreign (to me) menu system prior to even leaving the first dungeon, with striking similarities to Fallout that made me immediately skeptical. I judged both games too fast for sure, but both games immediately annoyed me with elements that would be present throughout the games. Neither of them are "pick up and play," and both of them are very difficult to get into.

Don't know if Fallout is like Mass Effect, I haven't played Mass Effect.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Hey guys.

I just got a DSi about 2 weeks ago. I got Rhythm heaven which is a great but linear game, so I tried out Phantom Hourglass.

After being HUGEEELLLYYYY disappointed, I'm looking for a good adventure type game. More than anything I care about it having a good story. Decent graphics are a plus but not necessary.

I've heard some good stuff about Chrono Trigger, The World Ends With You, the Fire Emblem game and a few others I can't remember. I really want to get into RPGs.

Alternatively, It's been a while since I've used my Wii for anything other than Brawl. If you happen to know of a good Wii Adventure game, let me know.

Eitherway, story story story.

Any help?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I didn't really care much for Phantom Hourglass either.

Chrono Trigger is a great game, but it's still basically just a port. That being said, it is an excellent RPG, and if you haven't played it yet, you should definitely give it a try.

The World Ends With You is a great game. It's stylish and original, and the battle system is awesome. I found the protagonist to be irritating at times, but it's something that I overlooked for the enjoyment of the game as a whole. You can watch a review of it here. Don't worry, it's spoiler-free: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33491.html

I'm not sure if you're into 2-D platformers, but I highly recommend Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure. It has a bit of a story, but it doesn't really feel like an RPG. It starts off easy enough but it has a pretty high learning curve. Plus, it's really charming and it has a puzzle element, if you're into that. I'm not, personally, but it's still a fun game. You can also turn into a giant robot! Here's another spoiler-free review: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47007.html

It's no RPG, but another great game that I'm playing right now is Big Bang Mini. I suppose it's like an arcade shooter. It's super fun, has great graphics, and a bargain bin price. It starts off easy enough, but some of the later levels take on a look similar to Ikaruga. It doesn't have a story, but it's still a great handheld game: http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/b...vert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review

If all else fails, there's always the remakes of Final Fantasy III & IV.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I disliked the small amount of Fallout I've played and after having problems with my available inventory and drop down menus while still in the first dungeon, didn't ever leave the tutorial level of Oblivion.

Fallout is an FPS RPG. The biggest problem with Fallout is that no one in their right mind would actually want to live there. It is very brown, not an attractive place to look at, and while the design is brilliant the setting will always be a brown wasteland. I'm a huge fan of varied levels so I found this to be a problem immediately.

Lots of sidequests, which I enjoyed to an extent, but a brutal difficulty curve at the beginning, while enemies don't really get any better or worse as the game progresses, if my brother is to believed. This means there will be behemoths throughout the game, and they will just as strong at the beginning of the game as at the end, which is a problem at the beginning of the game when you only have weak weapons. I had a lot of trouble, as I entered the school with a bb-gun, unaware how dangerous and stupid that was.

Both Oblivion and Fallout are difficult games to get into. I didn't like Fallout because it had a long tutorial followed by pushing me almost immediately into people and creatures that were tougher than me and the landscape was very dull, brown, and ugly; and I immediately disliked Oblivion because it had me organizing my inventory an fiddling with a foreign (to me) menu system prior to even leaving the first dungeon, with striking similarities to Fallout that made me immediately skeptical. I judged both games too fast for sure, but both games immediately annoyed me with elements that would be present throughout the games. Neither of them are "pick up and play," and both of them are very difficult to get into.

Don't know if Fallout is like Mass Effect, I haven't played Mass Effect.
Holycrap, buy a copy for like 14 dollars lol. Mass Effect is one of those games you won't see for the next 10 years(Excluding mass effect 2 and eventually 3).

Thanks for the run-down Captain, I'll still give it a try although like I said to Sensai, I am not good for games that start slow. I can be understanding but I am definitely not the enduring type because I play games to be entertained, not "just go through it."

Thanks guys. :)

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
This made me giggle. It's natural for level design of Fallout to look this way because it's a nuclear wasteland. So, it makes sense that no one would want to live there and it's unattractive. But I understand that it is kinda drab. They could have graffiti or something.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I never played any of the old games. I'm kind of a late bloomer in the video game world.

So far I've put a list of DS games to consider buying or buy for sure (Not all adventures, but that's cool)

Elite Beat Agents
New Super Paper Mario Bros
Mario Kart DS (iffy. N64 version was beast)
Metroid Prime Hunters
Pokemon Platinum
Chrono Trigger
The World Ends with You.

This is the first hand held ive had since Gameboy Color, so I'm pretty far behind. I have no qualms with ports or anything really. A good game is a good game.

I'll take a look into the other two games you suggested. I'm worried about the Final Fantasy games. I don't want my "first time" to be with a lesser FF game. I think I'll try to play Final Fantasy 7 or 10-2 before anything else.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
This made me giggle. It's natural for level design of Fallout to look this way because it's a nuclear wasteland. So, it makes sense that no one would want to live there and it's unattractive. But I understand that it is kinda drab. They could have graffiti or something.
Yes I recognize that. I am fully aware that my primary complaint about the game is essential to the plot and setting. To be honest, my only criticism of the game is that the storyline doesn't allow for beautiful landscapes, but rather restricts you to a wasteland that exists as it does because of the story.

I guess I'm saying it is amazing (in the "I didn't know it was possible to make an open world with this much detail" sense), but my idea of open world exploration involves an ice region, a lava region, a city region, a desert region, etc. whereas Fallout 3 is one big wasteland in the DC area; very consistent in some ways. I have trouble fully appreciating the awe some people have for an image of post apocalypse, so for me, Fallout 3 was an amazing open world; but I would much rather explore a different open world as an FPS RPG.

Post apocalypse isn't my genre.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Elite Beat Agents is great. I would definitely recommend it, plus the scenarios are super ridiculous. It has a great learning curve too. It has just the right amount of difficulty, and it's so infectious that you can't put it down.

I'm not sure if you meant New Super Mario Bros., but if that's the case, then it's a classic Mario game. Can't go wrong. Loads of people complain about the length of the game, but it's a Mario game, you can't expect it to have loads of levels. I enjoyed it a lot, and I would definitely recommend it.

I haven't played Mario Kart DS, but I am not a huge Mario Kart fan. If you like Mario Kart, then I've heard it's a great game for the DS.

I love Metroid. Love it. But I can't stand Metroid Prime Hunters. I don't like playing my games at 10 frames per second. Sorry, but they should've stuck with 2-D Metroid for the handheld.

I bought Pokemon Platinum, and my boyfriend promptly stole it from me. And he hasn't put it down since. According to him, it's great. (And it must be, because he won't give it back. :()

I hope that helps you out.

Good luck finding a copy of FFVII though. Good Lord. Also, this is my personal opinion, but I hated X-2. It had some outstanding moments, and then some that were just awful. Plus, it has one of the most annoying NPCs ever in a video game. I quickly traded that one in.

EDIT: @ The Halloween Captain: Yeah, I understand. It's not particularly my thing either. I'm glad that I rented it first.
Although, I did enjoy blowing up Megaton and getting a robot butler to do my bidding.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Thanks for the input. MK DS and MPH were at the end of my list. I have a feeling they've fallen off the edge, though.

Off to go buy Chrono Trigger!

Sensai

Smash Master
My turn to go through the list!

Elite Beat Agents - An absolutely great game. I could go on and on about how awesome this game is. IMO, a must own for the DS.

New Super Paper Mario Bros - It's Mario. Again. I enjoy it but then again I really enjoy platforming. You'll know if you like it, as you've already likely played at least one Mario game before.

Mario Kart DS - Fun enough. If you're going to be big into the WiFi thing, go for it as it's got a ton of replayability.

Metroid Prime Hunters - TBH, this game isn't that great. If you're a diehard Metroid fan, I suppose you're compelled to get it...but it's really not too great.

Pokemon Platinum - Same situation as Mario: you'll know if you like this.

Chrono Trigger - By all means, if you have yet to play this game get on it. It's generally considered to be the best RPG of all time.

The World Ends with You - I haven't played this although I've heard it's good. Sorry, not much help here.

If you're really trying to get into the RPG genre, as you said you were, I would kindly advise you away from X-2. It's...well, let's be honest: it's one of the worst Final Fantasy games out there. VII's a good choice, but you're going to be let down as it's been built up for so long by so many people. It's an okay game that really hasn't aged too well; it's one of those 'had to be there' type games.

VIII, on the other hand, is pretty good. IV for the DS is fantastic. If you're looking for a more JRPG Final Fantasy game, III is terribly difficult.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I heard 4 and 7 were good. I think I'll leave that game till the end.

The general consensus seems to be that I should remove Mario Kart, Mario Bros, Metroid Prime Hunters.

To be honest, I'm a little sick of the A Listers. At least the ones I've played. I love Pokemon but haven't played it since pokemon blue came out.

Thanks guys! Shopping spree time!

I just wish I could get Minish Cap, Links awakening and ALTTP. Never really finished/started those.

thataintflaco1338

Smash Journeyman
Minish cap is amazing. I gave it to a girlfriend of mine and she loves it so far. I haven't played it since it was released so I don't remember much about it.

Sensai

Smash Master
You haven't played Link to the Past either, SinkingHigher? Wow...looks like you gotta catch up on your SNES classics.

If you have a Wii, I highly recommend Super Metroid.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Agreed. Super Metroid is definitely the best SNES game, in my opinion. I might even go so far as to label it as a perfect game.

Also, A Link to the Past is also on the Virtual Console.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Ah sweet! I played ALTTP. I got to the final Ganon fight but my emulator froze and I lost all my game data. I was playing Majora's Mask too. I had only gotten to the first or second temple. >:

I never started Link's Awakening or Minish Cap. I hope they find some kind of adapter so I can play GBA games soon.

Top Bottom