• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I started playing The Minish Cap, and really enjoyed it. And then my game froze. I had to buy another one. :mad:

EDIT: @Sephiroths Masamune. It really depends on what you like. Essentially, Left 4 Dead is just killing zombies. There's only a couple scenarios, so unless you have a lot of friends to play with, it feels kinda limited. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game (and playing as a zombie is awesome). But unless you have friends to play it with, it's not really worth the money.

Dissidia is... Dissidia. It looks awesome, but it's really difficult to tell at this time. You could always wait for it to come out in North America/Europe and see what people think of it. It's not like Left 4 Dead is going anywhere.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I started playing The Minish Cap, and really enjoyed it. And then my game froze. I had to buy another one. :mad:

EDIT: @Sephiroths Masamune. It really depends on what you like. Essentially, Left 4 Dead is just killing zombies. There's only a couple scenarios, so unless you have a lot of friends to play with, it feels kinda limited. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game (and playing as a zombie is awesome). But unless you have friends to play it with, it's not really worth the money.

Dissidia is... Dissidia. It looks awesome, but it's really difficult to tell at this time. You could always wait for it to come out in North America/Europe and see what people think of it. It's not like Left 4 Dead is going anywhere.
thanks I guess the slow and steady win the race scenario this time. and about minish cap that sucks. where did you get to?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
thanks I guess the slow and steady win the race scenario this time. and about minish cap that sucks. where did you get to?
I didn't get really far into the game, but it was far enough to make me frustrated.

I had already met Ezlo, and completed the first dungeon to get the Earth artifact. I was on my way to get the next one, and it froze. And it was clearly the way that I had to go, and there was no other path I could take.

But I enjoyed it and I'll definitely give it a try again soon. I just didn't feel like doing all the intro stuff again at that point.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I didn't get really far into the game, but it was far enough to make me frustrated.

I had already met Ezlo, and completed the first dungeon to get the Earth artifact. I was on my way to get the next one, and it froze. And it was clearly the way that I had to go, and there was no other path I could take.

But I enjoyed it and I'll definitely give it a try again soon. I just didn't feel like doing all the intro stuff again at that point.

I hate doing the beginning stuff over again It's fun the first time but after that it's just teaching you to do the same stuff you already know how to do

JigglyPunch

Smash Apprentice
I have a choice between Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3 and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn. Help me.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Twilight Princess was a great game, but there was little interaction with NPCs, which disappointed me, considering there was a ton in Windwaker. It's the type of game that there's not a ton to do with once you beat it.

Radiant Dawn was great, but I think it wasn't as good as the Path of Radiance. If you want to finish the story, go for it.

Never played Metroid Prime 3.

finalark

SNORLAX
I have a choice between Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3 and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn. Help me.
Twilight Princess is the best Zelda title, easily. It's lengthy, and has fairly interesting storyline. The dungeons are your typical Zelda dungeons, though (water dungeon, fire dungeon, desert dungeon, ect.). But they provide a good amount of challenge.

Radiant Dawn was controller-snappingly difficult, okay? I'm going to leave it at that.

Metroid Prime 3 was a good game, a load of fun with a number of challenging puzzles. And the game had some great boss fights, in addition to already great battles. Well worth your time.

Sensai

Smash Master
Twilight Princess is, of course, Zelda...so you're guaranteed a bit of quality from it. IMO, it's on the lower end of the Zelda Good scale, ranking above Majora's Mask but below most everything else. It's still good...just not Ocarina or Wind Waker.

Radiant Dawn is...well, frustrating. Path of Radiance is/was great and to see it's direct sequel be so 'meh' was painful. Parts were enjoyable, but most of it was frustrating either due to its difficulty or its lack thereof.

Metroid Prime 3 is another game I have problems with. If you're planning on getting it 'cause you like shooting aliens, by all means go for it. If you're wanting it 'cause you're hoping for a Metroid game...avoid it. It lacks the atmosphere that makes Metroid Prime and Super Metroid great.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Twilight Princess was a great game one of the best Zelda's. but not the best (take that The Halloween Captain). I like the ability to use special moves like when Link dose his Dair from the SSB series to kill opponents. If you heard anything about the game you get to turn into a wolf, solve puzzles like any other Zelda game, and pretty much pull a spider man by clinging to walls with you claw shots. As mentioned before there's not as many side quests as other Zelda's but if your a die hard Zelda fan (which your probably not because your asking this) get this one

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn was one of my favorites and must have for RPG fans and if your not in it for the story, the strategy based system is fun and easy to get addicted to. I personally like this game because I played the first Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and I liked seeing all my favorite characters back again. Although this isn't the best Fire Emblem game it is a good play.

Metroid Prime 3 is easily the best shooter for the Wii so far (we are waiting for you Conduit). Again this game makes alot more sense if you beat the first two. Not saying that you can't play it without playing the first two though. I personally like this one because I like fighting all the other hunters in the beginning (not to be confused with Metroid Hunters for the DS). If you like dodging laser fire, grabbing opponents with your grapple beam, and having an all around good time I recommend this one.

All in all The game is up to you but my choice would be TLoZ:TP, MP3, then FE:RD. But don't get me wrong these are all exceptional games and all deserve to at least be played not to mention bought. but if your on a budget do what I recommended.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I'm still waiting for a Wii game to blow me away that isn't a port.

Twilight Princess was a great game, but it was definitely not the best Zelda. Ultimately it comes down to a matter of personal preference, but eitherway, it is definitely worth the money. It's a really long game, but unlike Phantom Hourglass, it doesn't purposely make itself long just for the sake of being long. There is a lot to do, a lot to see, a lot to play.

Storywise, it's decent, but not as epic as OoT, but in terms of a game about exploring lands, it gets a 10 from me. The items are cool for the most part. Some characters are fun. Fishing can be VERY frustrating at the beginning of the game, but it once you get the first few fish, it's smooth sailing from there. Don't play it with a walkthrough. I made a huge mistake doing that because I didn't want to miss a single bit of the game. Everything that's particularly interesting you can come back to.

I can't comment on the Fire Emblem game.

Metroid Prime 3 was a fun game in terms of controls. Things can become a bit repetative. The storyline was... non-existent. It seemed to me Nintendo was desperate to get a shooter for an obviously shooter-savvy console. It was kinda fun to play, but Metroid Prime 1 was easily the best of the trilogy, by a long shot.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I bought Battalion Wars II and Zack & Wiki.

Did I do good?
Battalion Wars is fairly average, but I liked it.

Zack & Wiki is overrated. It may make good use of the motion controller, and it may be well polished, but it just wasn't very fun. What made it too hard is that you can die while you are simply trying to experiment with different possible solutions. Not much warning that you'll die either; so often you just have to know in advance, which means playing through some levels more than once.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
This is less "which should I get" and more "are these worth it," but here goes....

Should I continue playing 1) Suikoden Tierkreis, and 2) Avalon Code (both for the DS)?

I started both of them, and they were okay at first, but then I started getting a little bored. I baaaarely started Avalon Code, and I've only gotten through the first.... 2? 3? missions of Suikoden Tierkreis, so I'm not very far into either one. I just want to know if it's worth my time to continue them.

I can't tell if they're actually yawns or if I've just been playing too many cookie cutter RPGs lately. (I wouldn't call Avalon Code cookie-cutter, necessarily, but the whole book thing isn't as revolutionary as I'd hoped....)

Thanks in advance! :)

Sensai

Smash Master
@ SinkingHigher: Try Zak and Wiki, No More Heroes, MadWorld, and Super Paper Mario. If those don't do anything for you...well, come back and ask for more. :-D

@ The Halloween Captain: You...didn't like Zak and Wiki...? I'm not sure I can even associate with you anymore.

@ Frown: Ya done good kid, ya done good.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
@ The Halloween Captain: You...didn't like Zak and Wiki...? I'm not sure I can even associate with you anymore.
Motion controls; while the best on the wii, too often didn't do the motion I was making properly, I died a lot, and the inventory system of one item at a time was both time consuming and irritating.

Don't worry about it though; I never liked point and click adventure games. I made an exception for Phoenix Wright because it's awesome.

@Sinking Higher - Do you want to be blown away by the difficulty of the game?

Klonoa is an interesting candidate; the main adventure is medium difficulty. After than, there's an extra stage called Balue's tower, and a mirror mode in which every level contains a secret challenge room. These extra challenges are the toughest platforming nightmares I've seen in a decade; I went through 30 lives in ten minutes with some of them.

It's $30, but if your good, the game won't last you a week even with two playthroughs (second playthrough so as to complete the challenge rooms). Fortunately, it also has rediculously hard extras.

I'm not sure if you would count it as a port though

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
You guys should totally get Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It ***** Melee. *shot*

On a serious note, I have never really played a Fire Emblem game. I am not nostalgic, but what FE game do you recommend a newbie like me to play?

Remember, I'm NOT nostalgic. Meaning I don't have nostalgia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostalgia

It means I don't want to have to go back to an old old game. Nostalgia...

Superstar

Smash Champion
Nostalgia usually refers to old games you've already played rather than old games you haven't played. I've been playing Megaman 2 recently, but it's not nostalgia, I just haven't played it.

But you don't want old games period. I haven't played FE, so good luck with that.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Nostalgia usually refers to old games you've already played rather than old games you haven't played. I've been playing Megaman 2 recently, but it's not nostalgia, I just haven't played it.

But you don't want old games period. I haven't played FE, so good luck with that.

NOSTALGIA

Nostalgia is being eager for the past. Old FE games are in the past. Nostalgia isn't a gaming term anyway. :p

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Oh I've played that. It is awesome.

I lied. I'm not nostalgic completely, only towards games of a series I've never played.

Nostalgic.

finalark

SNORLAX
No I am not, because it is something I am not doing.

On topic, any good recent DS games I can emulate buy out there?
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 is a great game if you like kind of noir/mystery adventure games. And if you're like me and you don't mind if the game play takes a back seat to narrative.

Also, for the Fire Emblem thing. I suggest you start with Either Sacred Stones or Shadow Dragon.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Nostalgia isn't a gaming term anyway. :p
Outside of games, it's a longing for something that you did. It's a longing for the past, your past. At the very least, that's the most common use for it, and if you didn't specify you meant old things in general, your repeated use of nostalgia would have been confusing, as that's not how it's commonly used in the gaming world.

That, and sometimes old things aren't played due to nostalgia, but cause they are better. Playing Earthbound for the first time, for example, may not be because of nostalgia. But you need nostalgia or an intense like of the Mother series to play Mother 1. I have to force myself to play it. As well, I play SSB64 as my main Smash, but it's not because of nostalgia.

Frown, I hear Mario Party 8 sucks, but that's just reviews. I'd vastly prefer a GCN title despite them also apparently sucking. Personally Mario Party 6 was fun.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Outside of games, it's a longing for something that you did. It's a longing for the past, your past. At the very least, that's the most common use for it, and if you didn't specify you meant old things in general, your repeated use of nostalgia would have been confusing, as that's not how it's commonly used in the gaming world.
Are we STILL talking about:

NOSTALGIA?

Sensai

Smash Master
@ The Halloween Captain: Ah, that's why I like you. <3<3 Phoenix Wright.

@ Heartz: For Fire Emblem games, I'd probably recommend you start with the Gamecube one, Path of Radiance. It's fairly easy in relation to the others and if you like it, it's sets you up for the much harder Wii version.

For a DS game...well, it's not newer or recent, but the Phoenix Wright series is pretty **** awesome. I'd probably be able to help you out if you told me what kinda games you liked and what kinda games you'd prefer to stay away from.

Top Bottom