• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Phoenix Wright trilogy (!!!!)
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (a link, since it's an old and often overlooked game: http://na.square-enix.com/rocketslime/)
Puzzle Quest (if you haven't played it)
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 3/4
Elite Beat Agents
Yoshi's Island
Tetris DS (probably not what you're looking for, but jeah)
Mario and Luigi RPG games
Daigasso! Band Brothers (if you're an importer)

This is leaving off some of the more obvious choices, such as Nintendo first party games.
I agree with all of this except Puzzle Quest. Puzzle Quest is so BAD. It's not rewarding at all. I'll also recommend Henry Hatsworth, Big Bang Mini, and The World Ends With You.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (a link, since it's an old and often overlooked game: http://na.square-enix.com/rocketslime/)
Puzzle Quest (if you haven't played it)
Daigasso! Band Brothers (if you're an importer)

This is leaving off some of the more obvious choices, such as Nintendo first party games.
I left the ones that I have not played. That's the thing, once I got this magical card which I shall not go into.

Sensai

Smash Master
Oh, well, if you have that mystical card of which we shan't speak, I suggest Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime and Daigasso! Band Brothers. They're both absolutely amazing games.

Daigasso's in Japanese, but it's ok. There's not much reading, so you'll be able to figure it out.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've been here and there with Japanese games, I'm
"buying"?
both of those as we speak. I've heard plenty about Rocket Slime from Nintendo Power, I guess I just forgot to get it.

Thanks.

DyceDarg

Smash Cadet
So....I'm kinda bored. I have some DGemu points left, and I want to get a good GBA game (that's playable easily on a computer)

Any suggestions? BESIDES Pokemon and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance or Dragon Warrior Monster Quest.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
So....I'm kinda bored. I have some DGemu points left, and I want to get a good GBA game (that's playable easily on a computer)

Any suggestions? BESIDES Pokemon and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance or Dragon Warrior Monster Quest.
Metroid Fusion or Castlevania Aria of Sorrow are good and really easy to play on the computer.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I'm lookin' for a new DS game.

I've already got Mario Kart, Mario Party DS, New Super Mario Bros., Kirby Super Star Ultra, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, Animal Crossing: Wild World, Pokemon Diamond, and Super Mario 64 DS.

I'm kind of interested in Pokemon Platinum, but I'm not sure how similar it is to Diamond, and I'm also considering another Kirby game or The Legendary Starfy.

Any other suggestions?

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I'm lookin' for a new DS game.

I've already got Mario Kart, Mario Party DS, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, Animal Crossing: Wild World, Pokemon Diamond, and Super Mario 64 DS.

I'm kind of interested in Pokemon Platinum, but I'm not sure how similar it is to Diamond, and I'm also considering another Kirby game or The Legendary Starfy.

Any other suggestions?
Pokemon Platinum is quite similar to D/P in the long run.

For an RPG you should definitely try Final Fantasy IV, either the Advance or DS version. New Super Mario Bros. is also pretty fun, as is Star Fox Command.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Pokemon Platinum is quite similar to D/P in the long run.

For an RPG you should definitely try Final Fantasy IV, either the Advance or DS version. New Super Mario Bros. is also pretty fun, as is Star Fox Command.
I have NSMB, I just forgot to put it down. :embarrass

I'll check out Star Fox Command and FFIV.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I know hardly anything about either, but I prefer Sucker Punch over Activision, so I'd go for inFAMOUS.

chansen

Smash Lord
Infamous looks grittier to me (which is good)

Prototype just looks like the company is self serving: "oooh look, another genetic experiment game, yay!"

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Which Fire Emblem here is best: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn or Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon? I have played Fire Emblem before (7 & 8) and want to get back into the series

Clownbot

Smash Lord
In terms of gameplay, they're all pretty similar (probably, but I haven't played Radiant Dawn yet), so... go for the cheapest?

I suck at helping.

finalark

SNORLAX
If you feel like you need to punish yourself, then get Radiant Dawn because it's difficulty is set all the way up to Korean.

Path of Radiance was a lot of fun, but its really hard to find these days. Pick it up if you come by it.

Shadow Dragon is a lot of fun too, I like them both equally. But if you want to get back into the series as soon as you can then I suggest Shadow Dragon because a) it's easy to find and b) it's a remake of the first game in the series.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Hey, guys. I'm just about to finish Persona 3 FES, and I'm going to need something to play when I'm done. Probably something RPG-ish. I'm holding off on Persona 4 for a bit of a break, and I'm not really interested in Final Fantasy at the moment. Thoughts?

I have a PS3, 360, Wii, DS, and PSP, so I'm pretty much good for anything. :)

Sensai

Smash Master
You should get Path of Radiance if you can, Knyaguy. Radiant Dawn is really hard for someone just getting into the series, not to mention that you don't know the characters or really as much about what's going on.

Path of Radiance, though, was great. Good pacing, nice battles with an occasionally difficult one spread throughout. Good game.

@lythium: I'm assuming you've played Chrono Trigger? And if you have, I'mma go 'head and suggest a cult-classic, of sorts for the PS1 called Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. It's a fantastic game filled with a lot of character...if you can find it.

[Edit:]

Halloween Captain made some excellent suggestions down below. I had completely forgotten that the Paper Mario games are absolutely fantastic.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
You should get Path of Radiance if you can, Knyaguy. Radiant Dawn is really hard for someone just getting into the series, not to mention that you don't know the characters or really as much about what's going on.

Path of Radiance, though, was great. Good pacing, nice battles with an occasionally difficult one spread throughout. Good game.
Thanks for the advice, thats what I was planning to do. I only asked about Radiant Dawn in case I got desperate looking for Path of Radiance.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Hey, guys. I'm just about to finish Persona 3 FES, and I'm going to need something to play when I'm done. Probably something RPG-ish. I'm holding off on Persona 4 for a bit of a break, and I'm not really interested in Final Fantasy at the moment. Thoughts?

I have a PS3, 360, Wii, DS, and PSP, so I'm pretty much good for anything. :)
Do you own Paper Mario yet?

What about Paper Mario Thousand Year Door?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
@lythium: I'm assuming you've played Chrono Trigger? And if you have, I'mma go 'head and suggest a cult-classic, of sorts for the PS1 called Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. It's a fantastic game filled with a lot of character...if you can find it.

[Edit:]

Halloween Captain made some excellent suggestions down below. I had completely forgotten that the Paper Mario games are absolutely fantastic.
Hmm, I haven't heard of that one. PS1 games are ridiculously difficult to find nowadays, but I'll keep my eyes open. I have played Chrono Trigger before, but I might give it another run.

Do you own Paper Mario yet?

What about Paper Mario Thousand Year Door?
Yes, I've played the Paper Mario games many times.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Does anyone know what multiplayer modes are available in GTA Chinatown Wars, because I may get it if there is a free roam/ deathmatch multiplayer?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Garr.

I don't know whether I should get Majora's Mask or DK64 for the N64. Don't tell me to just get both, because I want to be careful with my money. Which should I get?

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Get Majora's Mask.

I was never fond of OoT, but I really enjoyed what (little) I played of MM.
That said, I haven't played any DK game except for the original, the one with Stanley, and the Country with the girl and kid Kong.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Between Infamous and Prototype, which game should I buy? Both look interesting but I only have enough money to buy one of them.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Clownbot, I'll try to give a good break down of the games. Note I haven't played DK 64 for many years.

MM: (Just finished last week)

Pros:
Great game play value. You get to play as multiple individual characters.
Lots to explore/do without the repetitive feeling you get in Phantom Hourglass.
Spectaccccuuulllaaarrrr music.
Compelling story and characters (kind of dark). A good amount of "OMG WHAT?!" moments.

Cons:
A little difficult to adjust to the time format at the beginning until you *spoiler*.
Some puzzles are difficult and the majority of people will turn to a walkthrough.
Camera angle can be quite irritating at times (though this is VERY rare.)

DK64:

Pros:
Pretty fun to play as an adventure game. It plays a lot like Mario 64.
Good range of characters.
Plenty of power ups and side games to keep your entertained.
Nostalgic easter eggs here and there that you can play for hours.

Cons:
Not the best story line. Pretty linear.
You have to do the same levels over as different characters, meaning a lot of backtracking. Not fun.

Ultimately they're both good games. I personally am a HUGE fan of the zelda series up until Wind Waker came out. All games after that were a disappointment. Majora's Mask is a great game in all senses of the word. The story line isn't as epic as OoT, but that's not to say it's bad or non-existent. I really recommend this game. I put as number 2 in my top Zelda games of all time, with OoT being first probably because it's the first one I played.

DK64 is entertaining in it's own right, but the Donkey Kong series was never that big of a deal to me. It's definitely fun. It's like a cross between Mario and Banjo Kazooie, both of which were good games, but particularly amazing.

So, to conclude, if you like Zelda you'll love MM. If you're looking for something immersive and addictive with good depth, go with that. If you just want a simple adventure game to pass the time now and then, go with DK64.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Between Infamous and Prototype, which game should I buy? Both look interesting but I only have enough money to buy one of them.
Definitely get Infamous, I keep hearing crap about Prototype. Try heading over to gametrailers and checking out both of their reviews and based on that, you choose. :)

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Agreed. If you have a PS3, you should definitely go with inFamous. Apparently, Prototype's side quests and storylines are kind of tacked on.

Definitely inFamous, in my opinion. But ultimately, it's up to you. :)

finalark

SNORLAX
Infamous. Great storyline, nicely varied world, fun side missions, Sucker Punch worked really hard on it. Hell, in the credits they had an apology to their families for spending so much time working on the game. As a mater of fact, Infamous is so awesome that it kicked Half-Life straight off my top five games list and occupied it place. Get InFamous, because it is awesome and because Sucker Punch worked so hard on it.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Garr.

I don't know whether I should get Majora's Mask or DK64 for the N64. Don't tell me to just get both, because I want to be careful with my money. Which should I get?
If you're really forced to buy either one and can't download both, get Majora's Mask. It's much more challenging, and it's an overall better game than DK64. But that's just my opinion.

If you like serious, challenging games with large backstories full of epic enemy fights and complicated puzzles, get Majora's Mask.

If you like humorous, unique, somewhat challenging games with simpler backstories, but with a little more to do, get DK64.

I personally think both games are just amazing, but I would recommend Majora's Mask. Or if you don't own Ocarina of Time, get that first. Hell, just download ROMs of all three of them for an N64 emulator. I use Project64, and it works perfectly fine.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've decided to take a break from RPGs for a long while, and I want to get back into Fighting games. I'm interested in BlazBlue and I'm considering getting into Street Fighter. Can anyone give me their two cents on this, or give me some more suggestions for games?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I played Blazblue when I was in Japan, and it is truly amazing. If you can't wait until you can find a copy of Blazblue, you could try to find a copy of Guilty Gear X2. As for Street Fighter, I'm guessing you're talking about SFIV. I'll tell you right now that it's not casual-friendly, and if you're not a huge SF fan, I wouldn't recommend it. My bf is a huge fan of the Alpha games, and he has barely touched SFIV since he bought it.

I think I gave you a bunch of other suggestions in User Blogs. ;)

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Amazing visuals, intense action, innovative concepts, tight controls, addictive gameplay, and engaging story. That pretty much sums it up. :ohwell:

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Just posting to say apparently Little King's Story comes out in the US this week so buy it rather than being a stupid jerk who *****es about no new Pikmin when a better game along the same lines comes out that for reasons beyond me you all* decide to ignore.

* you know who you are

Top Bottom