• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think Zelda's placement will be on the June tier list?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Because a guaranteed killshot at 110 in brawl is not common, and considering with DI people are fully capable of living at 150+, a power character having a 100% way to kill at 110 is not bad at all. Secondly, I say dair is easy to land because dair is easy as hell to land.

And subsequently get hogged, smashed, whatever. Having the distance means nothing if you're going to die regardless of how far you went. Fine, if I get hit with one of 3 down smashes I'm not making it back, those rarely if ever hit me to begin with and send me off the stage. If they do, I accept my stock loss and keep going. If you get clipped out of fw at all, let alone get scouted, you're good as dead.

There's ONE character in the game that outright takes ike out if he's offstage, and he has wings.
So your telling me that Ike has a harder time finishing off characters than Zelda? Then no wonder at his position on the tier list.

Your over-generalizing Zelda's recovery....she's not Link. Her double jump is more than adequate as is and she also has a few tricks like love jumping.......................Ike in no way has a better recovery than Zelda.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ryko is stating that Ike has a GUARANTEED kill set up. Doesn't mean Ike can't kill at an earlier %. Zelda's dtilt > fair/bair only works on a few characters so far. Ike's jab > utilt works on everyone.

Ryko never once said Ike has a better recovery than Zelda. He's saying being able to recover from far away is pointless if you're gonna die anyways.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Ryko is stating that Ike has a GUARANTEED kill set up. Doesn't mean Ike can't kill at an earlier %. Zelda's dtilt > fair/bair only works on a few characters so far. Ike's jab > utilt works on everyone.

Ryko never once said Ike has a better recovery than Zelda. He's saying being able to recover from far away is pointless if you're gonna die anyways.
Zelda's dtilt>utilt works on everyone. By the way her utilt is also nearly as strong as Snake's.

I still fail to see any valid reasons as to why Ike is better than Zelda. He kills later, recovery is equal or worse, the only thing I can see is him being heavier.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Zelda's dtilt>utilt works on everyone.
If it trips the opponent. I smash DIed out of down tilt before tripping every time today. Outside of guaranteed killshots, I pointed out a 0-death scenario for ike that is very very common against anyone but meta, marth, and mario. So if you can figure out a practical way to take someone's stock in 3 moves I'd be happy to hear it. his recovery, as established, is in NO way worse than farore's wind (you can ask snakeee what I did to farore's wind today, granted we went about even in matches because his zelda is pretty spectacular). He survives longer, he has a better poke game, a more solid/punishing aerial game, and outside of plain guaranteed killshots (something this game does not have in abundance in any way shape or form) ike kills way way way way WAY earlier.

You're talking about 2 "what you see is what you get" characters with very few and obscure advanced techs. Aside from the fact that ike wins the matchup, he's faster than zelda is, heavier, gets more damage hit for hit, has as many (notably better) disruption options, and an easier time punishing defensive habits. The best zelda can hope to do is punish a spot dodging or rolling habit at 160+ and take a stock for it, or watch the opponent ***** their shield and hope to throw into a killshot aerial. Ignoring the fact that I've seen a marth DI and live through a lightning kick at 130 after connection so even her guaranteed killshots are a fart in the wind.

It's over anakin, I have the high ground.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Why is everyone saying she will move down:(
She isnt that bad at all...just misunderstood
because no one plays her and so she's not winning tournaments. you can't move her up the teir list solely based on theoretical potential.

Ideally they stick Zelda and Sheik as one character as well as 2 separate ones... that would help.

Sukai

Smash Champion
because no one plays her and so she's not winning tournaments. you can't move her up the teir list solely based on theoretical potential.
Truth.
So basically the best way to prove that she's misunderstood and underrated is to get out there and kick some ***.
Zelda from what I've seen has no impossible match up. She can even fight well against a Meta Knight. I find one of her worst match ups to be Snake and Dedede, so it won't be easy, but if Zelda is tourney viable at all, it's only by a slim margin, but I personally think she's capable of it.
Good luck with that.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Dedede is most certainly not tough at all if you play very carefully. Just get around the shield grab and you're pretty much sorted.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Olimar and GW both suck really badly for her. Marth, Lucario, and MK can also be all tough. Matchups like Falco, Diddy, Dedede, and Wario you have to watch out for different types of camping.

Getting Zelda higher on the tier list will take a lot of work in trying to do well in tourneys. It all usually starts from the character rankings I think. And without a decent amount of representation, she won't get higher. The same can be said about most other characters.

From looking at the tourney rankings from last season, she'll probably go down about 1 or 2 spots, but the tier list placings never mattered for me.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Darkmusician Im a big fan of your Zelda...u actually inspired me to use Zelda:)
Have you ever considered using Sheik in any of your tourny matches to help Zelda out?
Ive seen all your Zelda vids and Ive never seen you switch to Sheik
Do you think Zelda could possibly be better with the help of Sheik??

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Sheik wrecks Olimar ;o at least use her for that ridiculous match up.
sheik hardly WRECKS olimar, but sheik is at least goes pretty much even with olimar whereas Zelda REALLY strugles. I personally pull out peach or sonic for the matchup because I do much better with them Vs. Olimar, but sheik can get me throgh if I'm CPd.... but it's so **** tough with just zelda to win that matchup.... I've done it, of course, and normally that's on luigi's mansion with good luck and precision.

Game and watch is probably just as bad because he's got a lot nastier an offensive game, but at least you can approach him with zelda.... but he's better than olimar overall... so that sucks.

DDD? Well, keep yourself focused and you'll win. He has a lot that's just good about him which makes it easy to lose the matchup if you let him get in on you too much, but, if you use what you have on him, he's pretty limited... but, really, it's not an awful matchup for him either because we die so **** quick

Snake? yeah... he's tough.... use sheik to punish his camping or die.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I heard all Sheik has to do is nair (on Oli's shield) > jab/grab and Olimar can't do anything about it since his grab has no grab armor. giving her a 60/40 advantage.

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
I heard all Sheik has to do is nair (on Oli's shield) > jab/grab and Olimar can't do anything about it since his grab has no grab armor. giving her a 60/40 advantage.
Not really. Sheik in general has a higher chance in beating Olimar because she has the speed to keep moving, and is rather hard to grab when one plays Sheik smart (In some cases, she's like Wario in that aspect). Besides, Sheik is really hard to spike since she has an incredible second jump height.

Olimar has no super armor, but his Pikmin do, and they have incredible priority. Don't forget how long his grab range is, and how fast it cna get you, especially on a pivot grab. However, Olimar's OoS game is incredible, with OoS Usmash, so that approach on Sheik doesn't work 100% of the time.

@Rykoshot: Honestly, Ike's Recovery is horrible. I would not consider that being on even grounds with Zelda's recovery at all. Especially when your horizontal recovery is plain predictable and easy to punish on pretty much any character.

And Dtilt works on everyone, and on almost any percentage except the low down ones. At mid percents, A single Dtilt either stumbles, trips, or hitstuns you. 2/3 chance I will make you vulnerable to a Dsmash. At high percents, Dtilt will give you a soft ground spike, or toss you in the air. In that sense, either way you're going to eat a Dsmash or a Utilt/Usmash (Works especially on slow characters since they don't often have fast aerials). So yes, Dtilt works on everyone, and Smash DI doesn't really help since Dtilt Lock doesn't work anymore these days.

Then again, I wouldn't use Zelda against Ike. Sheik has a better chance at damage racking, then Zelda can kill Ike easy.

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
Why must Zelda be so disadvantaged against the tiny people...save Marth >.>

I wish Zelda had a fair/bair like Ness: Combo move and a killer sweetspot move

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
@Rykoshot: Honestly, Ike's Recovery is horrible. I would not consider that being on even grounds with Zelda's recovery at all. Especially when your horizontal recovery is plain predictable and easy to punish on pretty much any character.
Tell me how farore's wind is anything but predictable, if someone with half a brain goes out after you after you've used your second jump, they can predict where you're going to recover. Horizontal recoveries IN GENERAL are horrible (DK's being the flat out best one and only because there isnt a lot a character without a disjointed hitbox can do about it), people are starting to straight jab falco out of illusion nowadays, do you think your long *** startup maneuver changes the fact that if I grab the ledge on the way back that every exit option you have is likely to get smashed? Bait an air dodge, an aerial, any sort of manuever that makes her drop vertically on her way back and her options for exit decrease dramatically, especially if you hog the ledge with proper timing. My slow *** character can fsmash zelda for baiting farore's wind, I've tippered her with marth, I've laid down claymores, countered it, left a grenade at the exit point, power shielded her then stuck her with a c4 afterwards, the move is predictable. The ONLY player to this day to use farore's wind in a way that left me straight stuck on stupid was ninjalink and it's only because I never predicted the straight down option to grab the ledge. Since then I got teleport canceled once by spAzn and uh... that's it.

I made no mention of quick draw because quick draw is worse than bad. Aether is mediocre and farore's wind is mediocre as well, at the VERY least mine has super armor and a variably thrown projectile to cover my ***.

Villi

Smash Lord
Murr... sticking my head in the discussion just to say dtilt launches OPs into utilt. They don't get hit cuz of tripping.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
kinda depressing thred, but i can see zelda being kinda stagnant for june, or drop a spot or 2.

as for Ike >=< Zelda thing. i think they're kinda even as characters.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Murr... sticking my head in the discussion just to say dtilt launches OPs into utilt. They don't get hit cuz of tripping.
Then it's not a guaranteed setup since they most definitely can smash DI hard to the left or right to avoid that killshot as I've done that more times than I personally care to count. Aside from being at the absolute full range of the first jab there is no DI that will cause that fist to hit but the sword to miss.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
well i care a tiny bit since i do want Zelda to be at list a sliver better than him, that right there is character bias, but i main JP so it really is w/e. we should all main Falcon and just call it a day.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
No, just no. I mean, that's true, but how does that automatically give her a 60/40 advantage?

I personally think Olimar now has a slight advantage. 55/45 to him possibly, I came round to Marsulas' way of thinking.

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
Tell me how farore's wind is anything but predictable, if someone with half a brain goes out after you after you've used your second jump, they can predict where you're going to recover. Horizontal recoveries IN GENERAL are horrible (DK's being the flat out best one and only because there isnt a lot a character without a disjointed hitbox can do about it), people are starting to straight jab falco out of illusion nowadays, do you think your long *** startup maneuver changes the fact that if I grab the ledge on the way back that every exit option you have is likely to get smashed? Bait an air dodge, an aerial, any sort of manuever that makes her drop vertically on her way back and her options for exit decrease dramatically, especially if you hog the ledge with proper timing. My slow *** character can fsmash zelda for baiting farore's wind, I've tippered her with marth, I've laid down claymores, countered it, left a grenade at the exit point, power shielded her then stuck her with a c4 afterwards, the move is predictable. The ONLY player to this day to use farore's wind in a way that left me straight stuck on stupid was ninjalink and it's only because I never predicted the straight down option to grab the ledge. Since then I got teleport canceled once by spAzn and uh... that's it.

I made no mention of quick draw because quick draw is worse than bad. Aether is mediocre and farore's wind is mediocre as well, at the VERY least mine has super armor and a variably thrown projectile to cover my ***.
If you grab the ledge to edgehog Zelda, then I won't get smashed if I recover on the stage because you'll be at the ledge. What you said makes no sense to me, so either I'm misunderstanding what you say in your block of text, or there's something wrong with the way you describe things.

Baiting a Fsmash doesn't work on me, Or at least when I play Zelda since I know how to Love Jump and Slow my descend with Nayru's Love, I don't know if other players use it, but I do so often now a days, so baiting doesn't really work. I guess baiting into a FSmash works on other players, but not on me.

Aether isn't much better off in my opinion. Ike only gains SA frames until he reaches the sword, so really you just wait for him to reach the tip of his jump and gimp him out of it. I've done that plenty of times with Peach's Fair. And Ike doesn't sweetspot the ledge on the way up, he can only grab the ledge on the tip of his jump and his descend. Ike also has limited options on the ledge since his attacks come too slowly. Super Armor or not, if you can't get on the stage with it, then there's no point to your absolute defense. Kind of like a fortress built on sand, no?

I mean, if I have to, I could just transform jump out of my tumbling animation, change to Sheik, get back on stage and screw Ike over, then go back to Zelda.

Villi

Smash Lord
Then it's not a guaranteed setup since they most definitely can smash DI hard to the left or right to avoid that killshot as I've done that more times than I personally care to count. Aside from being at the absolute full range of the first jab there is no DI that will cause that fist to hit but the sword to miss.
That's probably true for a fresh dtilt if Zelda is trying to do it at the percent an OP would die even if he DI away from Zelda (that's generally good DI for surviving the up tilt, too). With proper decay, though, dtilt should still launch while the knockback is too weak to DI effectively. The closer, the better.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
When you're as low as Zelda is on the tier list, it doesn't particularly matter if you move up or down a little bit. In fact, unless she makes a gigantic leap up the tier list, people still won't care about Zelda.

Darkmusician Im a big fan of your Zelda...u actually inspired me to use Zelda:)
Have you ever considered using Sheik in any of your tourny matches to help Zelda out?
Ive seen all your Zelda vids and Ive never seen you switch to Sheik
Do you think Zelda could possibly be better with the help of Sheik??
DM, you should show him the vid of your Sheik versus Pat's Ganon from yesterday...

MrEh

Smash Hero
When you're as low as Zelda is on the tier list, it doesn't particularly matter if you move up or down a little bit. In fact, unless she makes a gigantic leap up the tier list, people still won't care about Zelda.
Zelda has a 0-death chaingrab on the entire cast.

People just don't know it yet. XD

D

Deleted member

Go suck their sack then.
I think zelda will be where I vote her, added to the scores of the other 40 or so votes, and then averaged out relative to the rest of the cast. If I had to guess.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
If you grab the ledge to edgehog Zelda, then I won't get smashed if I recover on the stage because you'll be at the ledge. What you said makes no sense to me, so either I'm misunderstanding what you say in your block of text, or there's something wrong with the way you describe things
Not to burst your bubble (kidding, it's entirely to burst your bubble), but I can let go of the ledge after I see you start farore's wind to a place where I know you're going to be and properly set up a smash for you by the time you exit, regardless of what percent I am at... If I know you're too low to head for anywhere but the ledge, i'll just ledge refresh and hog your sweet spot. If i know you're going to land on the stage right next to the ledge and I don't have enough time to actually move (which isn't entirely common), then I'll forfeit the smash and just ledgehop an up air during your lag. Otherwise, yeah, it's a stock more often than not.

Baiting a Fsmash doesn't work on me, Or at least when I play Zelda since I know how to Love Jump and Slow my descend with Nayru's Love, I don't know if other players use it, but I do so often now a days, so baiting doesn't really work. I guess baiting into a FSmash works on other players, but not on me.
If you stay out too long I'll just aerial you from an angle that I'm safe from retaliation, you act like FW isn't easy to read and doesn't have a long startup.

You're again not grasping that I don't care that aether isn't great, fw's just worse.

Villi

Smash Lord
DIE ZELDA, YOU HEFFER!
I hate it when people do that ledge hog thing. My friends have done it to me so much. If you're under 100%, I usually feel pretty safe about going for the ledge anyway. You'll have to leave the ledge after your invincibility frames go away because you don't want to get stage spiked. Zelda has a little bit of time to consider her options, since she can usually get back on stage or to the ledge from a number of points while she's falling.

Darkmusician

Smash Master

DM, you should show him the vid of your Sheik versus Pat's Ganon from yesterday...
No I burned my computer and all of the data that was recorded on it. I also erased all of my Brawl data on the wii for good measure.

....It'll be up within the week. -_-;

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Zelda has a 0-death chaingrab on the entire cast.

People just don't know it yet. XD
Nayru's **** is seriously underrated. NL at edge > Spike. Few people can recover in time and if you bait the enemy well it's instant win even from 0%.

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman
well i dunno...i can see zelda moving up at least one rank. yea...next to oli, her recovery is the most gimpable one of the cast. however, her ground game is scary. i usually rank high in the local tournies here (of course i don't place because the people that do place play either marth, falco, mk, or snake).

originally, i picked up zelda to counter TL whom destroyed my GnW every time. now, however, i've been using zelda more actively in tournaments as a main, and the results have been impressive. the coolest thing about playing a low tier character is...no one knows how to play against them. no one in vegas has any idea how to play against a zelda except for those 2 people that alt zelda but never actually PLAY her.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Would it be more detrimental to Zelda's placement to not play as her in tournaments or to play as her and lose?

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
Not to burst your bubble (kidding, it's entirely to burst your bubble), but I can let go of the ledge after I see you start farore's wind to a place where I know you're going to be and properly set up a smash for you by the time you exit, regardless of what percent I am at... If I know you're too low to head for anywhere but the ledge, i'll just ledge refresh and hog your sweet spot. If i know you're going to land on the stage right next to the ledge and I don't have enough time to actually move (which isn't entirely common), then I'll forfeit the smash and just ledgehop an up air during your lag. Otherwise, yeah, it's a stock more often than not.

If you stay out too long I'll just aerial you from an angle that I'm safe from retaliation, you act like FW isn't easy to read and doesn't have a long startup.

You're again not grasping that I don't care that aether isn't great, fw's just worse.

You make it sound like FW has like, a 2 second start-up. It's not fast certainly, but it's certainly not as slow as you may think it is, especially to Ike who isn't all agile at all. And timed right, by the time you let go of the edge to refresh your invincibility frames, I'm already reappearing to push you off anyway. Espeically since Ike is no Peach where she can float edgehog the stage (usually used against Marth players and such), nor Ike is a GnW where he can plank.

By the time you can ledgehop to a Uair, adding frames to your drop to your hop to the Uair start-up, I can imagine that Zelda can simply shield to OoS Dsmash. It doesn't take Zelda that long on landing lag with Farore's wind, certainly, once again, much less than you may think, especially if I FW on the ground or just right above it. Zelda's landing lag is hardly longer than Peach's landing lag from a UpB, and Peach can shield really fast after landing.

@Ocho: It's better to not play her, since when you lose, you only improve another character's gaming. Then again, if you don't play her and play some other character, then it's the same thing as playing her and losing. It's a catch 22

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
As far as placement on the tier list goes, not being there at all and placing very low do the same amount of bad... but being there gives people experience against zelda and not being there doesn't.... of course the same could be true about giving zelda experience against THEM.

Top Bottom