• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What’s the silliest Smash argument you’ve heard? - Read OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
I remember back in the days leading up to Brawl's release, I was a part of this fan forum that sort of acted as a spiritual successor to Nintendo's old "Nsider" forum after it was shut down (If any of you remember that.)

Anyways, on the Smash Bros. section of the forum, there was this one guy who was incredibly adamant about his fan character getting into Brawl. I'm not sure if he was serious about it or not, but he got into some heated arguments with the other members who told him that his character was a literal impossibility;but this guy just refused to listen to reason. This went on for a while too, from what I remember, so I think he was actually being serious about his made-up character having a shot at being in Brawl. XD

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I remember back in the days leading up to Brawl's release, I was a part of this fan forum that sort of acted as a spiritual successor to Nintendo's old "Nsider" forum after it was shut down (If any of you remember that.)

Anyways, on the Smash Bros. section of the forum, there was this one guy who was incredibly adamant about his fan character getting into Brawl. I'm not sure if he was serious about it or not, but he got into some heated arguments with the other members who told him that his character was a literal impossibility;but this guy just refused to listen to reason. This went on for a while too, from what I remember, so I think he was actually being serious about his made-up character having a shot at being in Brawl. XD
Do you know who this character was?

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
Do you know who this character was?
He called him "Mr. Namco" apparently he'd be like Mr. Game and Watch, but referencing all of Namco's classic arcade games.
I can't remember if the guy described what this Mr. Namco guy looked like or not. But yeah, he literally made up this character and was arguing that he had a shot at being included in Brawl.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Kinda like one day in RTC where the concept was a Hanafuda "character". Hanafuda is literally a card game (with no real characters) that Nintendo got its start from. And the person nominating said "character" the whole time was convinced said "character" had a good shot at making it in... I remember it was RAINING double zeroes and abstainers that day.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
He called him "Mr. Namco" apparently he'd be like Mr. Game and Watch, but referencing all of Namco's classic arcade games.
I can't remember if the guy described what this Mr. Namco guy looked like or not. But yeah, he literally made up this character and was arguing that he had a shot at being included in Brawl.
I have to wonder if that guy felt any vindication from Pac-Man's moveset?

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
https://www.thetoptens.com/reasons-why-sora-should-never-be-super-smash-bros-game/

I said this back in August, and I’ll say it again; read this article and you’ll basically be thinking this:

Being very blunt here, this article is full of ****. It was made by some dumb idiot who hates Kingdom Hearts, and uses it as an excuse to bash on a character for attention. He does bring up a point about Disney representation getting in, but knowing Sakurai, he would make sure stuff like that doesn't happen. The rest of his arguments make no sense whatsoever, such as "this character is stupid", "this stage sucks", and "his fans will start shipping him with other Nintendo characters." He brings up no other legitimate points to back his claim as why Sora would be such a bad inclusion.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Being very blunt here, this article is full of ****. It was made by some dumb idiot who hates Kingdom Hearts, and uses it as an excuse to bash on a character for attention. He does bring up a point about Disney representation getting in, but knowing Sakurai, he would make sure stuff like that doesn't happen. The rest of his arguments make no sense whatsoever, such as "this character is stupid", "this stage sucks", and "his fans will start shipping him with other Nintendo characters." He brings up no other legitimate points to back his claim as why Sora would be such a bad inclusion.
Yea, like, why?

435C2352-6761-4EC4-B0F6-551FCA19B034.gif

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
"Shantae is the most definitive indie game character of all time" (paraphrasing from the RTC thread a while back).

I mean I love the Shantae games but completely ignoring every other indie title out there is just ridiculous.
To add on to that, the idea of a sole character to represent all indie games.
That just sounds pretentious.

Another one to note is from the dark age of Pre-SSB4 when people were denying Shulk by saying he's technically not a Nintendo characte. God that was dumb.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591

maybe he was like 11 and you all just crushed his dream :p

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
"Shantae is more influential to gaming than Castlevania"
Whistles, I'm a shantae supporter and I know thats stupid.
Tails isn't as popular as shadow, so he won't get in
First off, even if Shadow is more popular, the gap is small enough, and with each terrible sonic game gets smaller, that Tails would get in based on iconic-ness, not some made up poularity figure

CrimsonFlash

Smash Cadet
people who try to justify chrom's inclusion or claim that he was even remotely a good choice, he only served to annoy everyone except his fans and only further made fire emblem hated amongst the smash community, now I don't care how the smash community feels about fire emblem, but chrom was arguably the worst fire emblem character they could have added regardless, he is the definition of "just another fire emblem lord".

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Not all of these stupid arguments are very common, but they’re ones I heard over time since I last posted.

:ultyounglink: is a less known clone of :ulttoonlink: and shouldn’t have even been in Smash Melee, let alone Smash Ultimate.
:ultlucario: and :ultgreninja: should be the first two to go if Nintendo begins cutting Pokémon fighters.
Too many Fire Emblem lords. We should remove :ultmarth:, :ultlucina:, :ultroy:, and :ultchrom: from this game.
:ultsnake: stole the spotlight from :ultsonic: in Smash Brawl and shouldn’t be in Smash Ultimate for that reason.
:ultbowser: was bigger than :ultridley: in many games. He was less deserving than :ultridley: of a spot on the roster.
:ultryu: should be a :ultlittlemac: echo. Their fighting styles are too similar to each other.
:ultmetaknight: should be reverted to his Smash Brawl moveset in Smash Ultimate. He isn’t powerful anymore.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not all of these stupid arguments are very common, but they’re ones I heard over time since I last posted.

:ultyounglink: is a less known clone of :ulttoonlink: and shouldn’t have even been in Smash Melee, let alone Smash Ultimate.
:ultlucario: and :ultgreninja: should be the first two to go if Nintendo begins cutting Pokémon fighters.
Too many Fire Emblem lords. We should remove :ultmarth:, :ultlucina:, :ultroy:, and :ultchrom: from this game.
:ultsnake: stole the spotlight from :ultsonic: in Smash Brawl and shouldn’t be in Smash Ultimate for that reason.
:ultbowser: was bigger than :ultridley: in many games. He was less deserving than :ultridley: of a spot on the roster.
:ultryu: should be a :ultlittlemac: echo. Their fighting styles are too similar to each other.
:ultmetaknight: should be reverted to his Smash Brawl moveset in Smash Ultimate. He isn’t powerful anymore.
All of these are pretty stupid. Though I never heard of Snake one. People generally say third parties wouldn't be a thing without him, which isn't the most sound argument around.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Someone once told me that I shouldn't want Bandana Waddle Dee, or any newcomer, in the game because, "shouldn't you be happy that Kirby has all of it's major characters in the game?" --Implying that:
a. It doesn't deserve another newcomer for that reason
b. Other series deserve more newcomers because all of their major characters ar eno in the game.
c. Implying that Bandana Waddle Dee isn't a major Kirby character at this point.
d. Implying that I'm not already pleased that Sakurai's ego spared at least 3 fighters

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

- "Dixie Kong is just a pink Diddy"
As someone who grew up in the SNES era of EVERYONE knowing the differences in gameplay between Diddy and Dixie, this one burns my soul

- Argues Minecraft Steve doesn't deserve to be in Smash; At the same time supports indie third parties or random other AAA characters like Doomguy
Look, I understand we all think different games are more important to gaming, and I myself would lose it if we got stuff like Shantae or playable Shovel Knight or w.e. else. But brah, anyone alive in the last almost ten years knows what Minecraft is. It's like the third party iteration of the "geno is more important than [mario character actually playable in several games]"

- The Stork from Yoshi's Island should be a playable character
Now, I know this sounds like a meme discussion, and idk who it was or how many other people here had to witness this, but I remember legitimately trying to explain to people during the Smash 4 cycle that, no, the stork from Yoshi's Island that was carrying Baby Mario and Baby Luigi and "fought" kamek, was NOT a character that should be in Smash.

- "Incineroar is the most popular Sun and Moon starter"
More than half the reason the Incineroar hype train has bother me is because this little gem ALWAYS crops up, never supported with actual data or any actual merit.
No, just because everyone thinks he'll happen because of verge's Ben comments doesn't mean he's the most popular.
No, just because YOU like him and all your friends also like him and talk about him doesn't mean he's objectively the most popular. You need actual data to back up **** like this.
Being super into the Popplio line makes it all the worse. The Popplio line received such vitriolic hate pre-Sun and Moon for being girly and stupid and a host of other things. Then we get polls actually showing Primarina as the most popular of the third phase starters in japan AND STILL people will talk about Decidueye and Incineroar as if Primarina doesn't ****ing exist and it just....aaaaaarrrrggghhh
The worst thing is that by default of being in Smash, this will wind up becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy and Gen 7 will just be another pokemon gen where the elegant, feminine starter gets pushed aside and hated while the "most likely to be cool to 10 year old boys" starter goes down in history as significant.

Which leads me to the other one, which is the culmination of my first one and this last one:
- "You just want X character because it's your waifu" "X character just got in to add more waifus"
Now, I'll do my best to avoid my inherent hate of what the term "waifu" has become online. But even without that, this mentality is toxic at best.
Has it ever occurred to these turds that maybe, just maybe, it IS possible to like a female character because she's cool and awesome and not just because we're all weaboos wanting to sleep with them?
I mean, for ****s sake people, has it occurred to you that MAYBE, there's girl smash players out there that like playing as these female characters because we LIKE those characters? ****, even in fighting games as a whole it's such a stupid trend that most female fighters just get sexualized to hell and back (see: street fighter)... Can we NOT bring that mentality to Smash?
Hell, I even had someone once at a tournament call me out for only using girl characters. Like, wtf man. Does it not cross your brain that as a girl gamer maybe I hold value in getting to play as strong women in games? Why the **** should this be a problem to you?
Even right now it happens so much with characters like Shantae and Ashley... like, seriously, I get the internet is creepy and there's actual people out there who only see these characters as means to get off... but honestly, if your sole idea of these characters is that people want them because of pervertedness, I'm sorry to tell you that perhaps it's you that's the problem. Particularly with Ashley seeing how she's a kid.... I mean christ man, the things you see here sometimes.
the last point is so annoying to me bc people say **** like that to me but i'm literally a gay dude i have no shred of attraction to these fictional anime girls. I just think characters like Elma and Pyra would be cool

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
All of these are pretty stupid.
Well that is the point of this thread after all. I wish I knew where those original posts are, but everything posted into the General Discussions thread gets lost. That thread has thousands of pages. Finding a particular comment is a task that is too difficult.

Last edited:

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
The stupidest arguments I have ever heard are ones stating that the Grinch leaks have to be real.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

The first point I can stand by.
The second point....only Greninja, since we already have Squirtle.
The third point I can stand by.
I don't even understand the fourth point.
The 5th point isn't even correct.
No to the 6th point.
No to the 7th point.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy would be a DK clone, and is way less likely than Ridley.

This was during Brawl's speculation.

Just form what I could remember...

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Really at this point I've never seen a good argument against Kirby getting another newcomer. All of the arguments against it are either bull****, made up, or simply use logic that also applies otherwise and thus does not have any meaning against Kirby.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
-Bandanna Dee as a Meta Knight Echo (how? he doesn't have wings, a different weapon and plays completely different)
-Indie characters have no place in Smash Bros.
-Banjo & Kazooie as a Duck Hunt clone

Oddball

Smash Lord
Actually now that I think about it, some of the stupidest Smash comments I've seen (that don't involve Goku or Shrek) revolve around why certain things are banned from tournaments.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I remembered how someone tried to claim a “Melee Mode” would be a good thing for the game. Adding that to the list of the top five ridiculous arguments I have ever seen on Smash Bros related forums.
The first point I can stand by.
The second point....only Greninja, since we already have Squirtle.
The third point I can stand by.
I don't even understand the fourth point.
The 5th point isn't even correct.
No to the 6th point.
No to the 7th point.
Honestly, I can’t stand by any of them. They’re all ridiculous hence why I posted them here when I remembered seeing them. By the way, the person who claimed the 5th point tried to back up his claim by showing images of Bowser roaring at Mario after Kamek used magic to grow him to tremendous sizes.

Last edited:

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
"Since the hazard toggle exist, every stage should be legal"
EVO Grands Final on Great Cave Offensive would be sick...

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Although I agree with the sentiment that FE has too many characters now, I can't say I agree with how people want to drastically reduce their roster down to 2, or even 3, characters. I feel like the series has a lot of characters to work with, so they should at least have 4 or 5.

So yeah, that's one of my "the most ridiculous smash argument that I've ever heard"—the ludicrous belief that Fire Emblem should get no more than 2 or 3 characters.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Although I agree with the sentiment that FE has too many characters now, I can't say I agree with how people want to drastically reduce their roster down to 2, or even 3, characters. I feel like the series has a lot of characters to work with, so they should at least have 4 or 5.

So yeah, that's one of my "the most ridiculous smash argument that I've ever heard"—the ludicrous belief that Fire Emblem should get no more than 2 or 3 characters.
Honestly you're right. FE does have a lot of unique potential and 2-3 fighters wouldn't do it any justice.

CrimsonFlash

Smash Cadet

honestly, my problem with the fire emblem roster is the pointless fluff, I think you wouldn't hear as many complaints if it were just marth and lucina or marth and roy, but all three plus chrom adds unnecessary bloat to the roster, I think people would take issue with the earthbound roster if they added the entire main cast of earthbound to smash as ness clones (only one of them is an echo), or maybe not because people have a special place for fire emblem so anything short of outright removal is unacceptable, but in all seriousness, I think fire emblem could justify 8 unique slots purely due to its status as a long running series with over 800 unique characters, but I also think that would require some omissions that would displease new fans.

though to play devil's advocate, marth, Ike and Robin are the only fire emblem characters on the roster who are here to stay, I can easily see lucina chrom and roy being removed purely due to the lack of creativity in their movesets (and general lack of options for movesets) and in the case of corrin, he is in the air, he is unique, but is arguably the most detested main character in series history amongst fans, as for smash popularity, I can't say, he seems to be used plenty by pros but I just don't think there would be much outcry to bring him back in the case of his absence.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
honestly, my problem with the fire emblem roster is the pointless fluff, I think you wouldn't hear as many complaints if it were just marth and lucina or marth and roy, but all three plus chrom adds unnecessary bloat to the roster
or alternatively, they could've said "**** Roy, he had his chance in Melee" when thinking of Smash 4 DLC and given his moveset completely to Chrom (minus the fire I guess).

I think people would take issue with the earthbound roster if they added the entire main cast of earthbound to smash as ness clones (only one of them is an echo)
Congratulations, you just described the problem with Star Fox in Smash.

or maybe not because people have a special place for fire emblem so anything short of outright removal is unacceptable
Me: [types bolded part into google]

google: did you mean waifu folder?

me: ah, i see the fire emblem fanbase is a fanbase of culture as well.

though to play devil's advocate, marth, Ike and Robin are the only fire emblem characters on the roster who are here to stay, I can easily see lucina chrom and roy being removed purely due to the lack of creativity in their movesets (and general lack of options for movesets) and in the case of corrin, they are in the air, he is unique, but is arguably the most detested main character in series history amongst fans, as for smash popularity, I can't say, he seems to be used plenty by pros but I just don't think there would be much outcry to bring him back in the case of his absence.
Lucina is probably also here to stay because she's super easy to develop.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!

Yeah, people are very cut-happy towards Fire Emblem. Before E3, most fan-made rosters I saw gutted the Fire Emblem characters. Usually Roy and Lucina are cut, sometimes Corrin is added to the pool. In an extreme case, I saw one roster cut Robin. Of all the FE characters you would cut, you pick Robin?!

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
If it were up to me, I would turn Lucina a set of alternate skins of Marth, and keep Chrom in Robin’s final smash. Roy would be fine under my ideal roster, but many of his moves would get a heavy rework.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
I once saw a Tumblr post which said that because Kirby's copy ability takes up so much development time, he should be cut so Waluigi could be in.

I was too flabbergasted to really be angry at it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
* Echos should be cut so we can artificially reduce the character number of certain franchises

*There shouldn't be any DLC characters, since this is supposed to be "Ultimate".

*Realistic or "anime" characters will never fit into Smash as much as cartoony ones.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
"I think the Grinch leak is fake."

There, I said it and I'll stand by it.
You're cordially invited to laugh at me should this turn out to be a flop.
But I'm confident!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom