• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What’s the silliest Smash argument you’ve heard? - Read OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Mr Game and Watch, the Ice Climbers, Marth and Roy at the time of Melee's release
Arguably King K. Rool who, despite being well-request among Smash and DK fans, is quite unknown to the general public.
Corrin
Pit, at the time of Brawl's release
Edit: Shulk, at the time of Smash 4's release
You forgot the Ice Climbers.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I was not reffering to anyone in particular, but yes, that could very well apply to PP. And I am very, very tired to be called 'salty' and 'whining' every time PP is mentioned. That's disrespectful, you know? But hey, since you mention it, let's do it one more time!

- 'The roster is already huge.' It is, but there are still blatant omissions and very few newcomers. You spend ressources for jokes when all the rest is done, not before.

- 'You're just salty because your most wanted didn't get in.' He didn't indeed, but there are a lot of characters that would not have felt like such a waste - there, I said it. I have no such problem with any of the other newcomers, even if I don't like or know all of them.

- 'It's free DLC.' It was. Not anymore. And that changes nothing. Another 'real' character could have been chosen, I might have gladly paid. But for a joke, no, I do not. So that's a wasted opportunity.

- 'The developers were just having fun.' They could have had their fun at the bar, or at the cinema, or anywhere. 'Sorry guys, no Dixie, no Bandanna Dee, no Isaac, no Waluigi, no new Zelda rep, no Toad... We had time to put one of them, but we wanted to have fun instead, lol.'

In short, you are free to disagree. But if you could just respect other people's opinion instead of making fun of them, that would be great.
I didn't mean for my post to look that way, and I'm sorry. I was referring to the surge of people who attacked Piranha Plant right after the November Direct, not to you or anyone specific. I hope you'll accept my apology.

Problem is I think we've already discussed most of them, if not all.
Oh just wait. Someone on Reddit or Tumblr will say something stupid and we'll be here again. Or there will be some dumb twitter drama, or someone will get banned, or another controversial fighter will be announced.....

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Uh, the Punch-Out series has always been silly, you can fight against freaking Donkey Kong. Not to also mention Snake (a serious character) has a better air game than Mac and he doesn't do all that fancy shmancy mid-air kicking in his series. Mac doesn't have to be a air god, but he doesn't need to have a crap air game because "realism".
I agree with what you're saying, but I just want to point out that Snake (a serious character) did backflip off a rocket one time. And he also did jumped over a door to get a better view of a room. And I'm not talking about a small door, no, his body gracefully leaped into the sky, defying the laws of gravity. His air game is justified.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Flaming Warning
I was not reffering to anyone in particular, but yes, that could very well apply to PP. And I am very, very tired to be called 'salty' and 'whining' every time PP is mentioned. That's disrespectful, you know? But hey, since you mention it, let's do it one more time!

- 'The roster is already huge.' It is, but there are still blatant omissions and very few newcomers. You spend ressources for jokes when all the rest is done, not before.

- 'You're just salty because your most wanted didn't get in.' He didn't indeed, but there are a lot of characters that would not have felt like such a waste - there, I said it. I have no such problem with any of the other newcomers, even if I don't like or know all of them.

- 'It's free DLC.' It was. Not anymore. And that changes nothing. Another 'real' character could have been chosen, I might have gladly paid. But for a joke, no, I do not. So that's a wasted opportunity.

- 'The developers were just having fun.' They could have had their fun at the bar, or at the cinema, or anywhere. 'Sorry guys, no Dixie, no Bandanna Dee, no Isaac, no Waluigi, no new Zelda rep, no Toad... We had time to put one of them, but we wanted to have fun instead, lol.'

In short, you are free to disagree. But if you could just respect other people's opinion instead of making fun of them, that would be great.
People call you salty and whiny because it's true. I'll throw self entitled into the mix for reasons I will explain...

You call PP a waste of development because you weren't asking for it. Period. There are several examples of unwanted characters having entered this series unexpectedly and they have become widely accepted today.

What makes you think you have the right to decide how to allocate resources to prioritize certain characters before others on a game you are not even working on? You are not on the dev team, you are certainly not even a higher up calling the shots and you are definitely not speaking for all of us when it comes to character choices.

"They could have had their fun at the bar, or at the cinema, or anywhere."

So devs are not allowed to exercise their creative freedom on a game that they (not you) are making? I'd wager that you are not the creative type. Do they always have to follow a set of strict guidelines dictated by you? How dare they use their talents for something different for once?
Games like Link's Awakening became a reality because a group of developers were making it as a pet project and having fun with it. The original Smash 64 started as a prototype created by Iwata and Sakurai in their spare time.

People often point out a lack of creativity in the video game industry, yet Smash has the only fanbase that wants to punish their creators for making creative decisions. When you want someone to create something, you better be damn sure that you give them proper breathing space. Projects often fail due to conflict of interests with too many examples to list (see the production history behind the Justice League movie, or games like Superman 64). Do you expect Sakurai and his team to be pumping out the characters that you specifically asked for until they earn your permission to add something like the plant? By now, it should be crystal clear why this mentality is self entitled. And yet, you demand respect despite being oblivious to the fact.

"'Sorry guys, no Dixie, no Bandanna Dee, no Isaac, no Waluigi, no new Zelda rep, no Toad.."

Screw these two. Not because I dislike them, not because I wouldn't welcome them into Smash (I would), but because you people keep acting as if Waluigi and Toad are the holy grail of requested fighters, the next frontier that Nintendo and Sakurai must tackle to prove themselves in the eyes of the fanbases that they are not horrible people. And when they don't get their way, their lack of emotional maturity makes them look for a scapegoat. Grow the hell up.

I wanted Dixie and Isaac, and my unrealistic wish was Zero from Megaman, but guess what? You don't get everything you want in life. So I moved on. The plant is not the reason your favorite character is not in the game.

You are tired of feeling disrespected and being made fun of? Don't worry, you have every right to feel disrespected and you also deserve to feel that way. I don't respect your opinion at all. It's grounded on petty self interest and a feeling of self entitlement as if the devs owed you, plus it's pretty silly and easy to make fun of. You are unawareness doesn't do it any favors to it either.

So yeah, tough luck demanding respect for your opinion. That has to be earned. If people are reacting that way in the first place then perhaps you need to take a step back and evaluate yourself.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Projects often fail due to conflict of interests with too many examples to list (see the production history behind the Justice League movie, or games like Superman 64)
I'll give you a better example: The Hobbit trilogy. After the first movie production got absolutely screwed and they ended up only having 18 months to make the sequel and 1 year to make the final movie.

Klimax

Smash Ace
It's not disrespectful to say that the game sucks because you didn't get what you wanted, once again, he bought the game, he has the right to say whatever he wants.

If I was in that situation, I wouldn't give a **** about "the roster being already huge" or "at least some people had what they wanted" or the most stupid "Sakurai works so much, be grateful !"

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'll give you a better example: The Hobbit trilogy. After the first movie production got absolutely screwed and they ended up only having 18 months to make the sequel and 1 year to make the final movie.
The Hobbit trilogy literally came to my mind while I was typing. It was meant to be a duology, but the studio was constantly breathing down the director's neck. They were the ones who made them inject the an unnecessary love subplot with Kili and female elf, among other stuff.

I can't blame Jackson for deciding to do CGI orcs instead of dressing up actors because that was such a pain to do in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Also, he didn't want to direct the Hobbit in the first place. I think Guillermo Del Toro was supposed to be the director but stuffed happened, so Jackson was dragged kicking and screaming to the director's chair. In spite of that, behind the production scenes, you can see that he was trying to put his love into the project.

I enjoyed the films a bit but the reason for that could be because I watched the extended versions at home which alleviates some of the issues. Had I went to the theater instead, I probably would have felt cheated.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
The Hobbit trilogy literally came to my mind while I was typing. It was meant to be a duology, but the studio was constantly breathing down the director's neck. They were the ones who made them inject the an unnecessary love subplot with Kili and female elf, among other stuff.

I can't blame Jackson for deciding to do CGI orcs instead of dressing up actors because that was such a pain to do in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Also, he didn't want to direct the Hobbit in the first place. I think Guillermo Del Toro was supposed to be the director but stuffed happened, so Jackson was dragged kicking and screaming to the director's chair. In spite of that, behind the production scenes, you can see that he was trying to put his love into the project.

I enjoyed the films a bit but the reason for that could be because I watched the extended versions at home which alleviates some of the issues. Had I went to the theater instead, I probably would have felt cheated.
God, don't remind me. The Hobbit was probably my absolute favourite book as a child, so to see it get turned into this kind of overblown mess of a trilogy. . . it's honestly heartbreaking. But as for the how and why with regards to that, I can only recommend Lindsay Ellis' video series on the matter.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
People call you salty and whiny because it's true.
Ok, you're one of those. That's nice, I already know that I don't want to spend time reading your post.

You call PP a waste of development because you weren't asking for it. Period.
It's very, very complex, but actually, there are several characters in Smash Bros. that I was not asking for or that I just don't like, and yet I do not think they were a "waste" of anything. I know, it's crazy!

What makes you think you have the right to decide how to allocate resources to prioritize certain characters before others on a game you are not even working on?
What makes me think that I can have an opinion on something? Seriously? The fact that I have a brain and a mind of my own, maybe.

I'm not even reading the rest.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This thread is pretty much going the way of the former Unpopular Opinions thread. I think it's time for a lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom