• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Pit

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Well, anyways, back to the main subject.
I find that arrowing a toon link that camps to pressure him to approach so that you can set up and aerial on him works really well. If he throws stuff at me, I just mirror shield it.

arm

Smash Apprentice
Well, anyways, back to the main subject.
I find that arrowing a toon link that camps to pressure him to approach so that you can set up and aerial on him works really well. If he throws stuff at me, I just mirror shield it.
Except for the fact that Tinks bombs fly over the shield, that seems like the right thing to do. But really, his bombs, IIRC, fly slowly, so what I usually do is wing cancel them, or wingdash in a direction depending on circumstances.

Khaos Blackdragon

Smash Cadet
That could be helpful. Is he good? I dont fight Tink often so Im not sure if wing canceling works as well as Ive seen.
He's actually pretty good. He doesn't camp and he doesn't like arrow canceling because he doesn't want to be like "the other Toon Links."

arm

Smash Apprentice
He's actually pretty good. He doesn't camp and he doesn't like arrow canceling because he doesn't want to be like "the other Toon Links."
I thought Link was the arrow canceler. Hm, if he doesnt like to camp, that wont help us in figuring out how to deal with Tink campers, but Im curious to see how he plays.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
Except for the fact that Tinks bombs fly over the shield, that seems like the right thing to do. But really, his bombs, IIRC, fly slowly, so what I usually do is wing cancel them, or wingdash in a direction depending on circumstances.
I tend to play generally aggressive against tl. Good perfectshielding is key to fighting tl imo also catching bombs and strong edge game is useful.

heres a game with me against a good tl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcCaca-TLMw

most of our matches are closer.

err...: I just realized that this is really off topic. So bringing it more on topic... you notice I don't use to many advanced techniques. Wing refresh is great against tl floatyness so you don't lose many jumps edgegaurding him. Arrow looping is more just for funs it was a friendly its mildly useful but often just a distraction. I don't think wing dashing is very useful at all in the matchup.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Wow, I can't believe I missed the SBR's posting for Pit... From what I know I'm the only person who actually plays him back there. -_-

Oh well, my bad.

kupo15

Smash Hero
yea, me neither, we could have used your help. We provided some great points that were completely ignored.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
In all honesty does it really matter what they say? You see their opinions are different from ours but that won't change the way we play. Just drop the subject, Pit's week is over so this thread is pointless now. Notice BR'ers aren't posting here anymore.

S.D

Smash Master
It's a shame Pit seems so badly underrated.

As for gimmicky techniques, as already stated by some great players, all have a use in some situations.

Wingdash can hardly be branded as useless, when used correctly it's incredibly effective. At a recent tournament I used it almost exclusively as a method to block approaches. Wingdash back when an approach has been initiated spaces you and pushes them back, leaving them open to an attack. It worked almost literally every time I used it to defend and counterattack.

Anyways, I guess its all irrelevent now, until we manage to push Pit back into people's heads as a dangerous char.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
Okay, it has been a while since my last post, but I'll try to add something to the thread:

I have faced in the last two months many people offline at private tournaments here in Vienna and I learned much about the issues and concernings about Pit from Wanna Be Tournament Players and real Pros. The reason why everyone blames Pit as an Noob-Character is his incredible easy play paired with his very extreme Skill-Level which is requiered to become one of the Pros. Most people actually don't know how much skill you need against some match-ups. On the other hand we still don't know his full potential I think.

Pit can be your best friend or enemy in team matches. No other character can stun you so freaking good from the distance with an arrow when it hits and let a open space to attack with a critical hit. Or even blocked or dodged your partner has still the advantage. Especially useful if the pit-player is out of the screen or range and nobody except such a hit. <3

Overswarm

is laughing at you
In all honesty does it really matter what they say? You see their opinions are different from ours but that won't change the way we play. Just drop the subject, Pit's week is over so this thread is pointless now. Notice BR'ers aren't posting here anymore.
BR's still read.

But this thread hasn't been anything but mediocre pit players patting themselves on the back, so there will be no progress.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Who do you think you are OS? Mediocre pit players? You never seen me play seriously, and by what i've heard your not even that good of a ROB player. Chibo could **** your life and i would too. Come to a ToS tourney and money match me, than i'll should you who's so mediocre.

Your word isn't Law, frankly i don't even think you know what the hell your talking about. I've been trying to go about the situation calmy, but you just pissed me off. Just because your in BR doesn't mean your the omnipotent being of smash, but i'm done conversing over a forum, put your skill where your mouth is and back up your reasoning. Noob.

Coffee™

I need it....
an SBRoomer who clearly stated that you guys are mediocre pit players.
Why the hell are you even posting....

Who do you think you are OS? Mediocre pit players? You never seen me play seriously, and by what i've heard your not even that good of a ROB player. Chibo could **** your life and i would too. Come to a ToS tourney and money match me, than i'll should you who's so mediocre.

Your word isn't Law, frankly i don't even think you know what the hell your talking about. I've been trying to go about the situation calmy, but you just pissed me off. Just because your in BR doesn't mean your the omnipotent being of smash, but i'm done conversing over a forum, put your skill where your mouth is and back up your reasoning. Noob.
All of this is unnecessary Rogue. Calling out OS like that is doing you no favors individually and are somewhat childish and what could be causing the BR to look down on the Pit boards in the first place. If you disagree with OS and believe that your play style works then prove it and I don't think he would have much choice but to agree with you. To be honest I somewhat agree with him, as a lot of people posting are just simply defending Pits ATs and not actually taking into consideration what other areas of Pits metagame actually need improving.

Overswarm

is laughing at you

Exhibit A:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh8TNgl42gM

Exhibit B:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rogue+pit&search_type=&aq=f

I'm good, get over it. Regardless, being good has nothing to do with what I'm saying, but it should be enough to make you unplug your ears and listen. The stuff you are preaching doesn't work. It's flashy, and not effective.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
I beat DSF's snake too.... Not his meta though. And I still use everything in my game including loop arrows, wingdashing, and wingrefresh. Doesnt mean I'll spam it, I use it when the situation comes up, mix things up. I dont base my game off of them, but i dont disclude them either.

Coffee™

I need it....
EThe stuff you are preaching doesn't work. It's flashy, and not effective.
Saying the stuff doesn't work is bluntly wrong. Each and every AT in the game has its specific uses and are all effective in specific situations, no matter how minuscule they might be.

Personally I don't care for most of Pit's ATs besides Wing Refreshing and agree that the majority of the time they are simply flashy and will generally not be that useful in the average match, but to state that they are simply not effective is wrong.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
If you were to see I'm not partically, defending the ATs, merely said your decisions were made hastly, I'm done, but you just insulted all the pits here as if you know them. Just as i said you were bad which i agree was a bit immature but you did the same thing. And i will admit 2 wrongs don't make a right, so i'll leave you to what ever you do, and leave you to believing all pits is bad. But i still invite you to East Coast, and i don't take back my challenge. Have a good day.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
But this thread hasn't been anything but mediocre pit players patting themselves on the back, so there will be no progress.
Either he's ignored my post or he wants to lump me in with these "mediocre Pit players." Nevermind my drastically improved singles performance in the weeks following the posting of all this BS and prior to the quoted post above. "No progress" is both ignorant and insulting.

OS seems to be good at many things, one of which includes disrespecting his friends-- not privately, no... he's a pretty cool guy usually in that regard, but publicly. Instead of discussing this with me and letting me at least try to make a case for my own character and my own style of play, he spent about thirty seconds telling me what to do and disregarding my input and proceeded to insult both me and everyone in the community by greatly misrepresenting a character in what is supposed to be an authoritative discussion by people who know what they're talking about.

At the same time he completely changes his tune from "I eat metaknights" to changing his main to try to "prove a point" and presumably get the character banned. The turning point here? Kel finally eliminated him from a tournament bracket. God forbid Kel ever actually win anything by being good at the game, right? I wonder what will happen when Sliq beats his MK with Bowser the same way he beat DSF. Suddenly MK will have a legit counter, maybe? Obviously Sliq couldn't win if the matchup wasn't like... 70-30 in his favor.

I don't care who you've beaten in MM's, how many tournaments you used to win, or how all-knowing you believe yourself to be. This is bull**** and you should know better, and don't think this is just me being butt-hurt for not keeping up with you in brackets. I spent enough time trying to defend you during your clash with Kel for you to know where my priorities lie.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, and Rogue, you're not helping anybody by acting like that, least of all yourself. OS has proven himself as one of the top players in his region. Insulting his skill isn't going to get you anywhere, especially seeing as the same can't really be said for you.

Argue with facts, not prickwaving, please.

kupo15

Smash Hero
The stuff you are preaching doesn't work. It's flashy, and not effective.
What are you basing this on? I would really like to see proof (like maybe some vids) to your reasoning why they don't work instead of just saying it. That is the best way we can argue, defend, prove otherwise what you think is flashy and ineffective.
BR's still read.

Wow, calling Sagemoon mediocre.
And btw

Exhibit A: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196213

Khaos Blackdragon

Smash Cadet
The only reason we aren't progressing now is because of threads like this . . . .

Different players use different ATs for different purposes. If it works for them then there is no reason to go out and just bluntly say it's flashy and useless. Yes, we know that the basics are way more important than ATs. How many times must we say that? Some people just refuse to listen. Sagemoon finds use in arrow looping, and it works for him. Dr X finds use in wingdashing, and look, it works for him also *gasp*

The weekly discussion for Pit seemed to be based off of the general idea that Pit is just an average character that has a good recovery and a annoyingly good projectile. Well, we don't want Pit to just be an average character. When you master the basics, what else is there to do? That's what the ATs are for and some players find use in them. Arrow looping, when used right, is used to setup for attacks. Wingdashing is used for spacing, it's as simple as that. Look at the videos on Youtube of the good Pit players, then come back. :)

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
Exhibit A:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh8TNgl42gM

Exhibit B:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rogue+pit&search_type=&aq=f

I'm good, get over it. Regardless, being good has nothing to do with what I'm saying, but it should be enough to make you unplug your ears and listen. The stuff you are preaching doesn't work. It's flashy, and not effective.
Hmm. Overswarm is ok, that's for sure. But for an Rob-Player he is not aggressive enough. On the other hand the Snake-Player was not that great, he easily could use at last the grenades and the nikita more for some pressure.

I just watched this Rouge Pit Video and I don't know why he is telling that sagemoon is just mediocre? This Marth was actually pretty easy if you know how to deal with him. Sagemoon on the other hand is on the niveau which I would call "well balanced" (even when this match wasn't his best at the beginning).

If you were to see I'm not partically, defending the ATs, merely said your decisions were made hastly, I'm done, but you just insulted all the pits here as if you know them. Just as i said you were bad which i agree was a bit immature but you did the same thing. And i will admit 2 wrongs don't make a right, so i'll leave you to what ever you do, and leave you to believing all pits is bad. But i still invite you to East Coast, and i don't take back my challenge. Have a good day.
Actually you're the one who is bad with Pit (I don't blame you, just read more). You have not yet the experience to judge him. You can compare Pits pretty easily if they have some kind of basic-knowledge or not.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I think this is too much.
First off, while the BR hates Pit's so-called "Gimmicks" (ATs), I don't expect EVERY Pit to be the same. Some just use Fundamentals (You told me about this before Rogue...) and then there are others that use different ATs to their benefits. Still there are some Pits that dont apply the ATs at the right time and they suffer from it.
I, on the other hand have suffered too, but I have learned from experience and have not only improved my arrow looping/raining capabilities, but they benefit me after 3-4 months of practice. Being determined to perform something of such ATs takes practice, and lots of it depending on the one that you want to use should you choose to use one.
Arrow Rain for me is one of the harder ones and was considered useless, but I have worked with it for like 3-4 months as mentioned before and have put it to good use. That's where I'm the only Pit that actually uses the rain competitively.
For those who rather be Fundamentalists and their basics, I got no problem with it, but dont judge or insult other Pits that like ATs, even if they are applying them at the wrong time.
DONT expect EVERY Pit to be the same!

That's my 5 minutes in this. I'll be back on this later, now stop the fighting.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Different players....finds use in arrow looping
You know you can kill a Falco with an Arrow loop at 40%? And its not hard to mix up in your game either to go for a 40% arrow kill. (more proof added to Khaos but obviously not the only one)

The weekly discussion for Pit seemed to be based off of the general idea that Pit is just an average character that has a good recovery and a annoyingly good projectile. Well, we don't want Pit to just be an average character. When you master the basics, what else is there to do? That's what the ATs are for and some players find use in them. Arrow looping, when used right, is used to setup for attacks. Wingdashing is used for spacing, it's as simple as that. Look at the videos on Youtube of the good Pit players, then come back. :)
I agree. It feel as if this review was made after playing the game the first week it came out. And the Yoshi boards were short changed the week after with the same type of review. No discussion of techs like Yoshis grab release game, no Pits off the stage edge guarding game, and no AT discussion either.

They sound like its a crime for wanting to learn more about our character after we have whats presented to us (basics).

Actually you're the one who is bad with Pit (I don't blame you, just read more). You have not yet the experience to judge him. You can compare Pits pretty easily if they have some kind of basic-knowledge or not.
Idk where this came from and if this is based off of the vid you posted, its untrue. Rogue is a great Pit and one online wifi match should not judge how skilled his Pit is. Sorry if I misunderstood your comment.

I may not be Sagemoon great, but Im not mediocre either. You should read my exhibit A and see if we are really patting ourselves one the back.

And to answer your question for the Nth time, when have we said, "ATs are teh uberness and are game breaking?" throughout this thread, we have been arguing with you that they HAVE uses. Not that they are the greatest thing ever.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
This was my last post regarding the situation

Oh yeah, and Rogue, you're not helping anybody by acting like that, least of all yourself. OS has proven himself as one of the top players in his region. Insulting his skill isn't going to get you anywhere, especially seeing as the same can't really be said for you.

Argue with facts, not prickwaving, please.

Don't disrespect me, you know nothing of my region. and I'm power rankings do some research. And Actually read....

I'm so tire of people.................

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
O i love ones like this, Judge a wifi match months ago, for flashy preformance. Play me anytime ill **** your life.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Don't disrespect me, you know nothing of my region. and I'm power rankings do some research. And Actually read.....
You didn't have any problems disrespecting Overswarm and he's third in Midwest rankings.

Funny how whenever the EC holds a big tournament, you're nowhere to be found... nowhere are you showing yourself as a real threat to the regional scene. You're in the Pennsylvania power rankings, not the EC power rankings. Try leaving your state for a change.

mimic_king

Smash Lord

Who's the troll now? I didn't come on these boards for a while. I now see that it has turned to this. This thread is full of arguments first starting with me, and now you're insulting quite possibly the best ROB player out there. If you think
you're so great yourself, why don't you prove it and go to a tournament like Doctor X said? And don't try to ask who am I to tell you these things.

So before you say anything again, keep in mind that OS has shown much more intelligence then you have and you can't say anything back.

And OS, how can you just say that these are mediocre Pit players if you haven't even faced them? You are the one who started this whole argument with that statement. Just because you are a good ROB player, doesn't mean you go rubbing it in everyone else's face.

That is all I have to say. I will now leave this thread for now.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Honestly. Does everyone happen to skip my posts. No one has argued any of my points, it's just arguing every other point. No one trolls me. I'm honestly confused because I'm trying to have an intelligent conversation, but my posts haven't been responded to since I posted them.

Like was OS calling me mediocre, he kind of just generalized that statement so idk who he meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom