• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Pit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cha0tic NiGhTmArE

Smash Journeyman
Lakeway(at least 30 minuites from anywhere), TX
Thats not the only type of ledge play Pit has and imo Danny makes it seem like thats the only way Pit can win tourneys. I wish the game didnt encourage campy playstyles. Pits can win by making there opponent feel like they really sucked hard to lose instead of being gayed to lose. I would like to see that strategy work against mew2king......
very true..all my friends have a camper style of playing and i hate it but if pit is played right he can make them feel like the worst brawler ever

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Dannys good >_>
Is that the only name he's known by?

But yeah, he was extremely campy in the games where he won, but it seemed like the ones where he lost, he wasn't camping to an extreme like that. Which is maybe why he lost. I'd love to see a Pit play ... more interestingly in a tournament, and win.

Also, <3 sagemoon. I saw your video the other day because it was one of the "related" to my own, and it made me want to keep training my Pit...he's fun to play, but I'm not so good with him >_>

Sometimes I go in Basic Brawls and arrow loop to impress people...though it's funnier to arrow loop as Kirby when there's another Pit in the game..

arm

Smash Apprentice
Pit's ledge play is simply amazing. So many options as mentioned.

Sadly, Pit's week is almost over, and he didnt recieve much respect... That kinda makes me sad. At least the other Pits care.
Us Pits are a quiet, but proud people. We wait in the sidelines, knowing that Pits true pontential has yet to be realized. Meanwhile, the rest of the Brawl community is content in knowing that the once mighty Pit now sits quietly in mid tier. But just you wait, we'll show them, theyre just not ready yet.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I find a bit of the BR discussion on this insulting and not to mention entirely false... I've beaten some of the people in here with Pit before, and those that I haven't I've at least come close. I think I've proven well enough that Pit should be taken seriously in the Midwest at least, so if Panda or OS want to say otherwise, well screw them.
And you still hold the title of best Pit in the midwest by far. Most people I've talked to think you get pretty shortchanged by your placings in tournament in relation to how much skill you actually have. You're a **** good Pit.

Also, I still think wingdashing sucks.

kupo15

Smash Hero
And you still hold the title of best Pit in the midwest by far. Most people I've talked to think you get pretty shortchanged by your placings in tournament in relation to how much skill you actually have. You're a **** good Pit.

I still dont understand why. Its not like we are saying is the best thing ever and are defending it as such. It works and ppl have told me their game improved because of it so it cant suck if it works when ppl know how to use it. It sounds to me like someone could be a little jealous. I mean, the SBR didnt even discuss Yoshis "wavedash" either said that it sucks also. (not sure exactly who said that)

It would be nice to hear a little recognition since we already confessed that it isnt omg teh awesomness like OS wanted to hear....and dont say the name is the reason why it sucks. Its better than the person who decided to call Pivot grabbing Pivot wave grabbing. And if your going to say something nice about it, Id rather you mean it instead of doing it because I said so or wanted to.

And Panda, why is there no more enthusiasm with these reviews anymore? The Yoshi boards are complaining saying the same thing we have said. (lack of enthusiasm, missing key parts of the characters playstyle, ignoring ATs....)

Doctor X

Smash Lord
I dunno if "shortchanged" is correct word choice. I just tend to do stupid **** and die a lot in tournament. I came close to beating Blood Hawk at S&C2 first round but I killed myself at 0%. Thanks anyway, though. :(

The only bracket I had that I felt was really stacked was RMWC... mostly cause GUNPUNCH! all had to play each other 2nd round of losers. That sucked.

Depends on how it's used. I'm still learning the difference between when it's bad... When I spam it, I'm mostly experimenting with it.... plus I just like to keep my hands moving, a habit from Melee I need to break.

I feel I've made a lot of progress in the past couple weeks in that front. I won't be spamming it anymore, and I think in that regard OS's advice to me is good. But he takes it way too far. The technique has it's uses. I feel I've demonstrated that fairly well-- at least as well as I've demonstrated how it can hurt your game through overuse.

kupo15

Smash Hero
true Doc. The important thing that you are experimenting with it to find the uses for your game. How else does one plan to get better with anything without taking risks and getting a little worse in the process? I went through the same thing as Doc X. I Spammed it a lot and got me in trouble. Because of that, I know when NOT to use it and have toned it down so it helps me. I also like using it to get back into the feel of Brawl after playing melee.

Finch

Smash Lord
Danny's smash name is cdoc but everyone in florida just calls him danny. He placed first in singles by camping, but he also placed first in doubles so if you want to see what he does when he doesn't camp I recommend watching those videos.

arm

Smash Apprentice
You're not the only that think he's cute. :)

For Arm, I thought he was in high tier now.
The last tier list I read said mid. If it has changed for the better, which is all I expect of Pit, then yay! Also, where is the most recent tier list? I dont have time to search Smash Boards, what with school and all...

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It was the so-called "Official" Tier list, where Pit was High tier. Last I saw he was 2nd to last on that high tier. He shoulda been higher than TL though... TL only is the bigger camper.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
I think Pit is a character for noobs. You can only be good with him to a certain point and then he caps. You can't be a pro with him, since he's all about spamming.

He does have some positives, like his recovery being the best in the game. He also has fast attacks and his b move can be used as an edgeguard. His side b can reflect things and can pin enemies against a wall. But he is very light. And he just sucks.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I think Pit is a character for noobs. You can only be good with him to a certain point and then he caps. You can't be a pro with him, since he's all about spamming.

He does have some positives, like his recovery being the best in the game. He also has fast attacks and his b move can be used as an edgeguard. His side b can reflect things and can pin enemies against a wall. But he is very light. And he just sucks.
You clearly have no knowledge about Pit at all.

-First off Pit is NOT light... He's freakin Mediumweight!
-His recovery isnt the best in the game considering how he is very vulnerable while using his Up-B for when he gets hit while using it, he cant use it again.
-He isnt all about spamming, there are at least 10-15% of all Pit players that are actually not spammers, like yours truly, Kupo, Sagemoon (of course), Rogue Pit, and some of the other Pits in the Pit boards.
-Pit is only considered to be for noobs because of the spammer population.

He's much more than just Arrows and Angel Rings. His versatility is what some don't pay attention to.
-Decent speed
-The Projectile
-2 reflectors, each with specific purposes besides reflecting.
-Excellent Edgeguarding
-Good Airgame
-Can set up possible lethal comboes on large chars, including an F-air WoP on Ikes or Links, that of what I've done before.
-Has a lot of ATs, though some are considered to be useless and a waste of time. Regardless, it gives the player more options in certain situations.
-Has a minor Forward ChainThrow that works better against larger, heavier chars, especially to DK and Wolf.
-Has a D-tilt spike. It's one thing that Pit has that many are not aware of.

One of his better strengths is his options of stopping various chars when recovering, from using arrows to eat up jumps to F-airing them, to Mirror Shielding certain recoveries.

Maybe you should use Pit yourself rather than saying "Pit sucks" and other stupid things, especially ON the Pit Boards where we love our angel! And if you want a Pro Pit, you go to Sagemoon! Of course, I wont let you get to him without answering to me, or some of the other good Pits!

mimic_king

Smash Lord
I used to use Pit, so I would know.

Plus, recovery is meant by getting back on stage. He can recover from an attack through his up b easily. Do you ever see people attacking him when he's far away? Vulnerability doesn't make a recovery worse than others, since a recovery from a powerful attack wont be stopped by some idiot who goes to the end of the stage to attack someone. He has multiple jumps for short recoveries anyway, so in a way he isn't vulnerable.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace

Plus, recovery is meant by getting back on stage. He can recover from an attack through his up b easily. Do you ever see people attacking him when he's far away? Vulnerability doesn't make a recovery worse than others, since a recovery from a powerful attack wont be stopped by some idiot who goes to the end of the stage to attack someone. He has multiple jumps for short recoveries anyway, so in a way he isn't vulnerable.
lemme get this straight. You Use pit. and you dont even know the character weight?
and You obviously have never heard of the word "gimping" Not all recovers are done from a strong attack you know.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
i realize that, but his up b doesn't leave him that vulnerable and he is light, which makes up for his good recovery.

Pit has many advantages, but he is a noob character. I usually dont see Pits lose, except when my friend plays him. I use MK, who also doesn't lose, but he is a good character. People say he's cheap, but he isn't. Okay maybe he is, but Pit is still stupid.

kupo15

Smash Hero
If the Up B is used in the wrong spot, he is completely vulnerable.

Also, ppl who think that Pit is for noobs are saying that they themselves are noob enough to not know how to get around arrow spam or anything that makes pit a "noob".

And with that, lets stop feeding the troll.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
i realize that, but his up b doesn't leave him that vulnerable and he is light, which makes up for his good recovery.

Pit has many advantages, but he is a noob character. I usually dont see Pits lose, except when my friend plays him. I use MK, who also doesn't lose, but he is a good character. People say he's cheap, but he isn't. Okay maybe he is, but Pit is still stupid.
I already told you that Pit is MEDIUM, not light, but does have a good recovery, though makes Pit Vulnerable upon getting hit.
MK is cheap, and Pit isnt stupid! Maybe you should stop this rant now before I get provoked badly. :mad:
Angels, you may want to restrain me (hold me back) later on, before the MK population decreases by one.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
i think you're asking to be provoked. pit isn't medium. and what idiot uses his up b in the wrong spot? you could say that everybody's up b leaves them vulnerable if you use it in the wrong spot.

so technically it doesn't leave him vulnerable. because people should be smart enough to use it in a place where they aren't vulnerable. pit and mk are cheap, but pit is stupid and mk isn't.

by the way, once the next update comes out(which is most likely olimar or IC's) my summary won't be negative. there is a slight chance that there will be a negative response if ike is announced, which is in a way likely.

so, lucky for you guys, it will be at least a week before i start trolling again.

Khaos Blackdragon

Smash Cadet

The ignorance, it burns!!!!

We need more good Pit players. I say we have a Pit tournament! *supposedly an in-person tourny in Nashville :D*

mimic_king

Smash Lord
i don't live in nashville, so i cant join. i wish i could join just to prove that pit sucks

slash v1.0

Smash Cadet
Pit does not suck!!! im not as awesome as some of these other players. but with pit i beat all of my buddies except for my friend who is and amazing zelda player.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
I beat my buddies with the Ice Climbers, except one of my friends who is an amazing olimar player. IC's are very good.

But they are misunderstood. you may think that I am misunderstanding Pit, but that's how I feel about Pit and if I choose not to use him then that's not anyone's problem but mine.

In the general brawl discussion section, i will be creating a topic about my summaries. then you will understand why i say the things i do

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
i think you're asking to be provoked. pit isn't medium. and what idiot uses his up b in the wrong spot? you could say that everybody's up b leaves them vulnerable if you use it in the wrong spot.

so technically it doesn't leave him vulnerable. because people should be smart enough to use it in a place where they aren't vulnerable. pit and mk are cheap, but pit is stupid and mk isn't.

by the way, once the next update comes out(which is most likely olimar or IC's) my summary won't be negative. there is a slight chance that there will be a negative response if ike is announced, which is in a way likely.

so, lucky for you guys, it will be at least a week before i start trolling again.
We, the Pit boards already know that our Angel is a Mediumweight. He says he used Pit, and he doesn't even know his weight class. Such Stupidity.

The 2nd bold is perhaps one of the worse that I've ever read. That Coming from a Meta Knight mainer saying that Pit is cheap must really have gotten owned by a Pit so hard. Pit isnt cheap, but MK is, or actually broken, and our angel isnt stupid.

3rd Bold shows that he only came to insult us Pit users, though he admits that he used him in the past, and he doesn't even know anything about Pit.

Last Bold just sets himself out to be banned, and I recommend this to happen.
This is just as bad as a person Stereotyping Pits saying that ALL Pits are spammers, when we players of the Pit boards already know it isnt true. Isnt that right, Kupo, Kown, FzeroX, Gambit, Doctor X, Sagemoon, Rogue Pit?

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
But they are misunderstood. you may think that I am misunderstanding Pit, but that's how I feel about Pit and if I choose not to use him then that's not anyone's problem but mine.

In the general brawl discussion section, i will be creating a topic about my summaries. then you will understand why i say the things i do[/QUOTE]
Wow.
Let me explain how characters are considered to be good and bad among the public before users decide that their characters can be talked like this. (Most cases, it's not good to even talk like this to even the worst character)
Ok, you obviously haven't looked into to Pit that much because your saying just about the same thing a beginner who first looked at Pit would say cause you are basing many assumptions like saying that Pit has a good Up B... Most people here would say otherwise since it has a huge weakness. When people choose whether the character is good or bad, they see if the character has good potential with the moves that he/she has and how good the character's metagame is.

This post is an example of how you have only skimmed over what Pit does. People who spam arrows spam cause they are new to him and think he has a good projectile. It's not used like it is used as a main attack once people start to get down to Pit's metagame and how his close range is more important than arrows.

Your angel ring comment here is also showing that you skimmed very lightly on Pit because most Pit players barely use Angel ring for the edge guarding purpose (because characters can sweetspot a ledge from under) and for pinning people against walls because most fair stages don't even have walls.
No, Pit is not a lightweight. If he was, how can people playing Pit survive powerful smashes like Zelda's Up-smash at like 100%?

No he can't recover from an attack through Up-B easily. If you see a character hitting you off the stage and you use his Up-B, what happens to you if you get hit again while you are recovering back because they jumped off and used an attack? Also, Up-B is not used for just recovering. Thanks to many of the Pit communities discoveries, his Up-B has far better uses that don't relate to recovery (Windashing, Wind lunging, Wing refreshing, Wing divebombing, Etc).

Just cause he has multiple jumps doesn't mean he is not vulnerable in most cases, people can hit you while you are jumping and force you into Up-B so I beg to differ on the "He isn't vulnerable comment."

-_- Still very unsupported just by saying "Pit is stupid." Just cause Pit has a harder time on certain characters, in this case specifically Meta Knight, doesn't mean that he sucks. Since people are wondering why meta knight is so good in the game, he is considered to possibly be banned in tournaments because of how unbalanced he is compared to other characters. Even character designers have flaws in their work and Meta Knight seems to be one of them. Maybe the people in your area don't play him as well he can be played. Again, Pit is still a medium weight since he survives smashes at very high percents. If you mean light from floatiness, then I agree. Weight has nothing to do with whether the character is floaty or not. Samus is actually a heavy weight but is very floaty.

If you think you can do better than everyone else in not being forced to do Up-B at the wrong time, dazzle me (Pun can be intended if you are thinking Dazzle as in capture card since videos would also help). Try to prove me wrong. If you can show me how Pit can't be forced in a lot of situations without needing to use his Up-B, that would make him better than he is now (which is relatively high. If this was proven by you, he might become almost top tier).

i don't live in nashville, so i cant join. i wish i could join just to prove that pit sucks
Maybe your the one that isn't good with Pit.

I beat my buddies with the Ice Climbers, except one of my friends who is an amazing olimar player. IC's are very good.

In the general brawl discussion section, i will be creating a topic about my summaries. then you will understand why i say the things i do
I agree that Ice Climber can be good but what does that mean to everyone if your community may lack good Pit players? What would your one opinion do to the general opinion of Pit in the Smash community? All people would do is shun your idea and move on with your lives because they know the facts about the character that you don't know since you may have not been trying that hard on looking deeper into the character because your spending your effort on explaining how bad the character is. Why can't you just leave your opinions to yourself, believe what you believe, and STOP WASTING OTHER PEOPLE'S TIME ON THINGS THAT AREN'T EVEN TRUE?

mimic_king

Smash Lord
okay, first, you incorrectly quoted my statement so it looked like you actually wrote that.

second, if you really dont think that im good with pit then i'll face you.

and third, i have every right to say what i think is true on these forums. isn't that why some people go on these forums?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I am one of the best Pits around here, and I will prove that Pit is a very exceptional char. He can only be mastered by those with real skill and knowledge of Pit's Advantages and weaknesses alike. Some Pits are capable of using his ATs efficiently as well. You'll be answering to One of us at the Pit boards, and I, in the future, will be one of them to make a stand.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Guys, What part of "stop feeding the troll" dont you understand? Who cares what he thinks when they are wrong, unsupported and you know the rest.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Guys, What part of "stop feeding the troll" dont you understand? Who cares what he thinks when they are wrong, unsupported and you know the rest.
lets see, i've got an answer to both of those questions.

1. the stop part
2. I do. And so does Fosho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom