• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Falcon, the manliest character in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The SBR has voted Captain Falcon to be the manliest character in the game!

While this was not unanimous, it was still a victory over other manly characters such as Ike, Snake, and Ganondorf.

Captain Falcon was nerfed considerably in Brawl not by his moveset, but by the lack of hitstun. He aerials and smash attacks are still just as good, but due to the lack of hitstun he has difficulty comboing.

One of the biggest buffs he has received is his jab; nairing behind someone's shield and then turning around and jabbing or grabbing is an excellent mix-up game that makes it very difficult for an opponent to successfully shield all of Falcon's approaches. If you treat Falcon's jab like a shine, you get some amazing combos and stop your opponent in their tracks on multiple occasions.

Panda, please make the hint for this simply read

"The manliest character in the game"

so we can see how the thread turns out ^_^

Arash

Smash Lord
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jqnqPGFi2uc

while it's against CPUs, it's still something to try and emulate...

other than that, looks like falcon is roughly the same as in melee, just feels slower. also, side B over the edge is excellent since it doesn't result in your death anymore.

i esp like at 3:00 against lucario, that looks like a practical way to edgeguard

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I couldn't watch that whole vid, it was terrible up to as far as I did <_< If any of those were actually a combo, they'd be nice.

Falcon is one of my favorite characters to play, but I also think he's one of the easiest characters to play against. He really doesn't have a good approach at all, and that is his real downfall. That and a lack of non knee/punch kill moves.

Upsmash does 22%, though. That's a plus. Falcon Kick can go through most projectiles as well. And he has a boosted redocvery from melee.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
His Up+B no longer gives the other player his second jump back, if it was already used before. I guess that's pretty cool.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
His nipple spike is now a pretty good horizontal kill move.

OS got it right when he said moves like nair to jab is amazing. He also still has a good running grab.

I think he's tied with Ganon/Peach for worst character in the game ;)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It's been said before, but I'll say it again.

Douglas Jay Falcon didn't deserve to be nerfed so hard.

Not only did they take away what made him good in Melee, they left all his old weaknesses as well.

Tis a shame.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
That helps, Lee >_>

I haven't gone home yet, but when I do I'll be playing some Falcon.

You guys might want to watch some of Champ's videos... he does well with Falcon.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Oh yeah, and while an aerials side+B as an edgeguard was a silly way to edgeguard in Melee, it's guaranteed death in Brawl. Don't do it.

Falcon Kick no longer returns a double jump.

Falcon's trip is ridiculously long in both animation and distance.

Joshu

BRoomer
BRoomer
Captain Falcon is definitely the underdog of Brawl right now.
According to the premiere edition Brawl players guide, CF is just below Marth in overall score with a migthy 8 out of 10.
His scores are as follows
Offense: 8
Defense: 7
Projectile: -
Final Smash - 6
Throwing Ability - 10
Speed - 10

Captain Falcon is the only character in the guide to score a 10 in throwing ability, putting Dedede to shame. The best strategy of course is to chianthrow with his downthrow into a dashing grab, repeat. This can also be finished with a fair hit when they go off the edge.
Over b is also the perfect edgeguarding move. Seriously this guide loves it and it' s a guide so it can't be wrong. I mean it cost $20 who would publish something that cost $20 per book and was filled with incorrect information. Nobody would so this guide is right.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
According to the premiere edition Brawl players guide, CF is just below Marth in overall score with a migthy 8 out of 10.
Final Smash - 6
Throwing Ability - 10
Speed - 10

Captain Falcon is the only character in the guide to score a 10 in throwing ability, putting Dedede to shame. The best strategy of course is to chianthrow with his downthrow into a dashing grab, repeat. This can also be finished with a fair hit when they go off the edge.
Over b is also the perfect edgeguarding move. Seriously this guide loves it and it' s a guide so it can't be wrong. I mean it cost $20 who would publish something that cost $20 per book and was filled with incorrect information. Nobody would so this guide is right.
this is going to come back and haunt us years from now...

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
that iceclimbers player wasn't very good. regardless, i thinkwe all know captain is low/bottom tier, but we're afraid to say it this early.
no approach, predictable when he does, you can airdode out all his "combos", and his recovery can still be jewed.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Captain Falcon has a few good things... like offensively up+bing his opponent off the edge, autocanceled dair to knee combos (works at 60% on like every character), etc., etc....

But it is much, much too difficult to pull these things off against a competent opponent to consider them reliable. Captain Falcon is most certainly low tier, despite his manlieness.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
falcon is bottom tier and possibly the worst character. all we can do is play him and try to win more consistently.

*cries inside*

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Synopsis:

There was a significant lack of discussion in this thread because there wasn't much to debate. The long and short of it is simply thus: Captain Falcon is bad. Manly, but bad.

His aerials all are great for racking damage (even the weak knee, which combos into other things), his jab gives him shine-esque interrupt ability, his u-smash does a large amount of damage, and his other smashes KO. Falcon even has a dair to knee combo on the entire cast! Since his up+b doesn't give the opponent their 2nd jump back anymore, it can be a viscious, albeit risky, edgeguarding tool

However, his aerials don't combo into one another very well due to the lack of hitstun and his smashes are very difficult to land. The knee, his only reliable kill move in the air, is difficult to land on a moving opponent. His recovery, while better than in Melee, is still easily gimped. While Falcon isn't light by any means, his weight does little to help him because of this easily gimped recovery.

Falcon is bad. Low tier easily, and takes a tremendous amount of skill to use at a high level of play. It is POSSIBLE to continually abuse what little strengths Falcon has to win a match... but it is unlikely, especially since Falcon does so poorly against the most prominent tournament characters such as Metaknight, Snake, and ROB.

Tenki

Smash Hero
In my experience, Falcon's ground game is more jab/tilt based. Jab>jab>grab, n-air>jab (ay, airdodge?), Bulletpunches as edgeguard damage, U-tilt covers a pretty space for stopping approaches or just landing that one KO move, pushing/juggling to the edge with Dash attack/Falcon Kick/U-tilt/U-air..

I think the playstyle is somewhat less direct in that you want to start attacks/momentum while your opponent is unable to guard, (missed attacks) and his B moves/range seem to make that pretty clear. =/

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
Overswarm said:
Falcon is bad. Low tier easily, and takes a tremendous amount of skill to use at a high level of play.
doesn't this line make us extremely sexy?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Final Smash - 6
Throwing Ability - 10
Speed - 10

I'm going to laugh so hard once Falcon gains a chainthrow and we find somehow that pressing Z Rapidly increases hitstun or something.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Brawl makes me SO sad since it was the death of my main. I agree with Tenki. A lot of his ground game is jab based. Against some opponents I've even done jab combos to a dtilt to a knee and it makes me think, "ZOMG FALCON HAZ PUTENTALZ" but I'm sure I'm just kidding myself. His priority is honestly crap with out the speed and baiting technigues of Sonic. His tilts, especially utilt, seem pretty underrated and his Bair is a much better killer than people seem to give it credit for.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
i agree with ur summary. im glad you didn't say he's the worst character in brawl. He's just too epicly cool :) FALCON PUNCH!!!

Thanks for the info, some of the stuff I didn't realize (like how his Upsmash does so much dmg) and for the combos!

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I was never very good with Falcon in Melee, but I loved pulling off what combos of his I could on n00bs. Now, not only do most of his moves lack uses aside from stopping approaches and interrupting combos, but he can't really do any of the fun stuff he used to be able to. I was so sad when I realized that Falcon has no combo ability.

His low priority on most moves makes him almost impossible to approach with, and once he's landed a hit, he really can't do much else. He does have some interesting spacing options with stutter stepping and reverse Fsmash. This isn't much of a consolation, though.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
It really is so sad because Falcon is clearly a well built character with some tricks, but they all mean nothing because the games design is against him. He is still really fun to play at least but I think you guys are underestimating his b-air as a killer. It's more reliable then the knee and has a good killing percentage.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Lol nice Sig ph00tbag

And also Bair comes out pretty fast. But the problem is that the range isn't too long. Most of my kills are from Fsmash or Dsmash I think.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think one thing that is somewhat underestimated about Falcon is his Dash grab. While his grab range was certainly cut immensely, Falcon is still one of the better characters in Brawl at punishing whiffed attacks with a grab by simply having the ability to cover distance between himself and his opponent.

Now if only he had anything special going for him from a grab. <<

Also, you can double stutter step his F-smash for amazing range, and the Falcon kick beats the Mach Tornado. Also his U-tilt is really good. =P

I also have the feeling that the Dash attack and Falcon kick cancel a number of projectiles pretty laglessly, but I can't remember too well what.

Inui thinks Falcon is better than Sonic, and he convinced me somehow. In the context that Falcon has more range/priority and kill strength... Anyone else who agrees?

Also, I don't think the lack of hitstun is truly the problem for Falcon. I think it is the cutback on priority. In Melee, you can easily N-air to approach because it has good enough priority to hit below him. Not the case in Brawl.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I play falcon for fun, and I don't consider myself very knowledgeable about his finer strats. On the surface he has many thing that I like in a character. (speed, recovery, jump/fall speed, decent aerial game). But nothing seems to work together.

Personally I think his best move is his uair. It has good range and decent priority, and it's hard to DI it correctly because it can send you in many directions depending on what part of the attack hits. It still has the tip semi spike at the end and its pretty quick too. Can't combo though :|

His jab is his best ground move. Sad but true... It will lead into several things if you cancel it so you can switch things up.

Other ground moves worth using are the dash attack, d-smash and his throws. The dash attack will pop people up and you can bait an airdodge and follow up with and aerial, sometimes even the knee.

Speaking of the Knee, it's not as hard to hit with as some people say, but it's very situational. I don't try it often, but I can get it to connect properly about 50% of the time or more.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
yeah Falcon is a really bad character, but it's so badass when you beat someone with him :)

and because it's almost impossible to win a tourny with him im forced to second Snake :(

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I feel so sorry for Falcon. I think I nearly cried when I first tested out my characters 2nd jump and D Smash but it's nothing compared to what happened to Falcon. Everything seems so much slower and half-hearted with him - even the Falcon Punch doesn't have the same energy it used to have :(. All I've found that's decent his that his Bair has a very good auto cancel and that using Reverse Reverse Falcon Punches (B reversal + Reverse Falcon Punch) is hilarious when it connects because it messes people up :p

His recovery is slightly better but it's still awful. He's so easy to gimp and removing his regained 2nd jump from the Falcon Kick has limited him a lot. He's so easy to edgeguard and unlike Fox, he remains a fairly fast faller so I imagine he can be chaingrabbed quite easiler (I know I've managed it a bit). He also hasn't got a projectile which I think is fairly critical in a game like this that's supposed to be played defensivly...unless your crazy fast and got crazy priority *cough* Meta Knight *cough* I also noticed that his Dair which was a great spike in Melee doesn't spike unless you hit with it properly and that can be very situational

I still love playing with Falcon but compared to other characters competative wise, he's not got a lot going for him :(

I think he's tied with Ganon/Peach for worst character in the game ;)
*Simultaneously Falcon Punches, Kicks and Knees you* :bee:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Oh yeah, and while an aerials side+B as an edgeguard was a silly way to edgeguard in Melee, it's guaranteed death in Brawl. Don't do it.
Just noticed this, and I don't think I understand what you mean by guaranteed death.

I'm quite sure you can DI backwards after you meteor someone with it. Not to mention the ledge grab frames. =/

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
He's hilarious to play as, but, he's not good.
I'm going to FALCON PAUNCH! whoever nerfed him this bad.

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
Just noticed this, and I don't think I understand what you mean by guaranteed death.

I'm quite sure you can DI backwards after you meteor someone with it. Not to mention the ledge grab frames. =/
People air dodge way more, so you are much more likely to wiff it and die.

I've been playing with Falcon a lot lately. I still think he sucks hard, but there are a few things you can do to rack up damage. The grounded Falcon Kick is probably his single best move now. You can punish people very easily with it. The only problem is if you are too far away when you try to punish with it, even if you hit them with it, they will got a free attack on you. It's best to use slightly out of their range, as even if you miss it, you should be safe.

I haven't really tested it out as a mind game, but most people tend to just freeze when they hear "Falcon Paunch!" They also prefer to block it instead of spot dodging it. It might be possible to use this tactic to break shields with, as the Falcon Punch shrinks the shield considerably.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
i noticed how all the original melee players stopped posting after the brawl noobs started posting. i like when people who know what theyre talking about talk.

∫unk

Smash Master
i noticed how all the original melee players stopped posting after the brawl noobs started posting. i like when people who know what theyre talking about talk.
Thanks for the contribution.

I saw RoyR do a jab to grab attack ground release jab repeat cycle in a tourney... does that work fairly reliably (obviously escapable but does it play upon the natural tendency to hit L immediately after getting hit by anything?)

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
How depressing. We didn't even get a "But who cares? Falcon is just cool" like the ganondorf update... I will continue to main him, though.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I feel so sorry for Falcon. I think I nearly cried when I first tested out my characters 2nd jump and D Smash but it's nothing compared to what happened to Falcon. Everything seems so much slower and half-hearted with him - even the Falcon Punch doesn't have the same energy it used to have . All I've found that's decent his that his Bair has a very good auto cancel and that using Reverse Reverse Falcon Punches (B reversal + Reverse Falcon Punch) is hilarious when it connects because it messes people up

His recovery is slightly better but it's still awful. He's so easy to gimp and removing his regained 2nd jump from the Falcon Kick has limited him a lot. He's so easy to edgeguard and unlike Fox, he remains a fairly fast faller so I imagine he can be chaingrabbed quite easiler (I know I've managed it a bit). He also hasn't got a projectile which I think is fairly critical in a game like this that's supposed to be played defensivly...unless your crazy fast and got crazy priority *cough* Meta Knight *cough* I also noticed that his Dair which was a great spike in Melee doesn't spike unless you hit with it properly and that can be very situational

I still love playing with Falcon but compared to other characters competative wise, he's not got a lot going for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHarris

I think he's tied with Ganon/Peach for worst character in the game

*Simultaneously Falcon Punches, Kicks and Knees you*
Hmm Reverse Reverse Falcon Punch? I need to learn that :) and nice sig too.

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
Finally, a character that I actually feel extremely competent discussing.

First, off, I'd like to acknowledge and agree with the general consensus that Falcon is bottom tier, and, perhaps, the worst character in the game. That said, the next point on my agenda would be one of Falcon's greatest issues, if not THE greatest issue: approach game.

Falcon's approach game suffers for numerous reasons, among which are priority, range, short hop height, and speed (both running speed and attack speed. While the former may seem strange to note, bear with me until I explain).

First off, his priority is balls. Save perhaps Falcon Kick, Falcon Dive, his Uair, and his Utilt, his priority is balls. Absolute balls. Most of the time you're lucky to see one of Falcon's moves clink. Many of his moves, which at first seem like reasonable methods of approach, are made useless by their crap priority. Raptor Boost, for example, suffers greatly from this. Sometimes you'll get a double hit. Rarely will you get a clink. Most of the time you end up just getting knocked back by whatever your opponent haphazardly throws out in retaliation. What's more, a well timed dodge or shield will leave you standing there helpless after the Raptor Boost animation. Makes for a garbage approach. Nair, which used to be an excellent approach/combo method in melee, is also hampered by a lack of priority. Whats more, the hitbox is all but useless now that his shorthop is so **** high. It sails over most of the characters in the game right out of the short hop, so what you're left with is a largely telegraphed, falling aerial. All of his aerial moves soar over shorter opponents, making an aerial approach impossible. Couple this with a ground approach game which is largely limited to Falcon Kicking , VERY sparse Raptor Boosting, and throwing, Falcon really has no method of attacking his opponent. Starting a good combo on an opponent relies heavily on luring the opponent into the airspace near and directly above Falcon.

I think I missed the bit about priority in that paragraph. I've learned, as this post went by, that it's really hard to categorize Falcon's flaws into any one aspect of the game. Core aspects (approach game, combo game, other such things) seem to be riddled by several extremely specific problems, so I'll be detailing my thoughts on Falcon without much sense of structure from here on out. I apologize for this, but it's the easiest way to get my thoughts out there.

More approach game business: I've found that Falcon's approach game is limited to only a few strategies which are generally very difficult to apply. A cautious opponent will usually be able to work around these....easily, even. Allow me to detail a few strategies I've found at least viable, though:

Dash grab>dthrow>utilt/spotdodge>further followup seems to be a good approach for opponents who just landed or are caught off guard.

RAR'ing a FF'd bair seems to work well, or even landing on the backside of a shield with a bair.

Running autocanceled dairs are another decent way of launching the opponent into the air, where Falcon basically needs his opponent to be to succeed. Depending on the situation, this can be followed up with jabs, uairs, and a few other situational moves such as grabs, tilts, smashes, and knees. Dair and dthrow seem to be among the most versatile approach tools. Don't let this give you the impression that this is a foolproof or even decent approach in the grand scheme of things, though. The priority on dair is still balls and could easily be buggered up by things like Olimar's U-smash (C.Falcon's bane) and MK's jab combo. Moreover, it's one of his highly telegraphed moves. It's really not hard to block this one when they see it coming. Fortunately, if you're decent at autocancelling, you'll be able to use the inertia from Captain Falcon's jump to land beyond the opponent and escape any retaliating attacks.

Let me take a commercial break to make a comment about Falcon's new speed. The inertia which he maintains when he takes off from the ground after dashing seems to have been dorked at least a little bit since Melee. Maybe it's just me and how I feel switching between the two games, but honestly I feel like he slows down just a tad from his dashing speed once he takes off into the air. This makes aiming attacks like the dair really, really weird. I'm not fond of it. It makes comboing a little more difficult. I feel like his "catapulting" range has been significantly lowered since the previous installment.

Back to approach games:

Properly spaced Falcon Kicks are an excellent way of approaching ranged opponents, since they erase or clink most projectiles. However, if spaced improperly, you're up for an easy shield grab or retaliating smash from, say, Marth. This is perhaps Falcon's most dispensable tool for approaching, because at least it helps rack up some initial damage and provides some airtime for Falcon to get his uair action in.

I generally find that these are the best if not only approach options Falcon has. Sure, you can mix up with a few Raptor Boosts here and there, but that's not reliable. The rest of Falcon's methods to rack up damage on his opponent generally involve luring, shieldgrabbing, and other campy things. Verily, Falcon has become a largely defensive character since the previous installment. He can't approach the enemy, so his goal is to do little things that make the enemy approach him.

Let's see...what else makes Falcon as bad as he currently is. Right. Speed. While Falcon's speed admittedly does come with its perks (following characters across the stage quickly, obviously) it does give him issues with spacing. His sliding stop is extremely long because of how fast he moves, so it makes it really difficult to get precise spacing out of his ground movement. His walking speed does help fine tune it, but it's still slow enough that it's hard to reach precise locations in proper time. I find that it's really difficult to get myself in range to Ftilt or Utilt without sliding headlong into the opponent. Maybe it's just me.

His attack speed, as well, has never been anything to boast about. Not since N64. The knee has always had a windup. His dair feels like it has significant windup as well. All of his smashes, all of his tilts, everything takes a decent amount of time to startup. Couple this with bad landing lag for almost all of his aerials (save nair and autocancelled attacks, both of which are useless from the ground with the further exception of dair) and you have a slow, clunky character who is easily punished for any minor mistakes he makes. Add that to his easily gimpable recovery and you begin to see why it is incredibly hard to survive as Falcon even despite his good weight disposition.

He can't combo because of lowered hitstun. That's been covered. I think it's about time I moved onto the few pros left for Captain Falcon

He has a few moves that are absolutely essential to his success: Falcon Kick, Falcon Dive, jab, uair, bair, dair, and his throws. That may seem like a formidably versatile arsenal, but in reality there are only a few situations in which any of these moves is suitable.

Let's attempt a move by move analysis:

Falcon Kick is an all around excellent approach. It gets through most attacks successfully, and when it doesn't, it clinks. From the front, it's pretty hard to break the Falcon Kick. Successful Falcons will generally use this move sparsely because of the lag induced by the ending and by collision. However, against ranged opponents, you'll see this move a lot more often. It's basically what keeps him in the game against anyone with a decent projectile.

Falcon Dive is a great offensive move. Its greatest asset is that it can be performed out of a shield. The range has a peculiar warping snap effect: it reaches for a bizarre amount of length and is fairly good at outprioritizing moves. Whats more, it can't be countered. It's a good combo finisher and provides a fair amount of knockback AND damage. This move has become much more important to Falcon's success now than in Melee.

Jab. This has been mentioned before. Jab is basically a brief interrupter. Sort of like a shine. This is crucial to ALL of Falcon's matchups. The infinite jab actually provides a fair amount of damage before the opponent breaks out, too, actually. Excellent move.

Uair is one of Falcon's few saving graces. It's a move that actually has great range, speed, and priority. That makes it good enough to spam. The x-factor here is that it can get absurd angles depending on how you space and time it. It's one probably his most sensible killer in the air and definitely the easiest to execute. As long as the opponent is above you, this move is excellent. The only trouble is getting your opponent above you. Then keeping him there.

Bair is an excellent approach move and a decent killer. It's got a lot of knockback and it opens fast. Landing lag is bearable. You'll generally want to reserve this and the uair toward the end of your opponents life so that you have easy kill outlets. Diminishing returns will greatly hurt the knockback here.

Dair is excellent at killing from the nipples (though connecting this hitbox is awkward). Otherwise, it's a pretty important approach/situational combo move when autocancelled. Dair>Knee is an excellent way to take advantage of an opponent's mistake. Moreover, that works on anyone. It's also a good way to lift the opponent off the ground, and when it's autocancelled, it's hard to punish. Again, though, its priority makes it very situational.

The throws are probably Falcon's best options for getting his opponent off the ground. They can be very spontaneous due to how fast he runs. The range is still kind of balls, especially against short opponents, but as long as you're careful , most any of his moves are great ways to get and keep your opponent in Falcon's favorite spot: above him.

I suppose his dash attack is a good startup move as well. It provides decent damage and can be very spontaneous due to his speed, much like his throws. Should not be spammed by any means, though, as the priority is still balls.

That about covers his strong points. He does have some good traits about him, but none of them scream "I WIN" like, say, Snake, Metaknight, ROB, Marth, etc. Moreover, when Falcon has a bad matchup, it is REALLY bad. I have not found a way to win against Olimar AT ALL except by fluke. Honestly, the Pikmin + Olimar's throw will outprioritize Falcon on every front. Metaknight is another impossible case. A barely COMPETANT player for either of these characters should have a relatively easy time with defeating even the best Falcons.

Disjointed hitboxes aside, short characters in general destroy Falcon. His high short hop makes them really hard to hit and even grab. Anyone about Kirby's height (Squirtle, Kirby, Olimar, MK, Diddy, Ness, Lucas, etc) has an extremely lopsided advantage against Falcon. This is mostly because they give him so few options (you'll probably have about only half the options I listed above, or less. People like Olimar and MK GROSSLY outprioritize Falcon and are so short that it becomes nigh impossible to land a hit of any variety. It's disgusting). The ridiculous gap between Falcon and his opponent in his worst matchups is what keeps him from doing well in tournaments. He simply cannot endure the variety he'll face in a tournament bracket. There number of bad matchups is just too high (There are a lot of short characters and characters with disjointed hitboxes, or a combination of both) and the lopsidedness of battles in which Falcon is at a disadvantage is just cruel. When matchups are bad for him (and I'd say at least half of them are) they're really bad for him.

Don't get me wrong. I love Falcon. But Falcon for bottom tier. Worse than Peach. Worse than Ivysaur's recovery options. Worse than everyone. I'd pin him up for absolute bottom, even though he's the character that I've played more than any other.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
Awesome analysis Ayato, I really enjoyed reading something from someone who has obviously more than dabbled in CF.

I myself am but a CF dabbler, so I can't offer anything that hasn't already been said, but I will say this. The animation on the score screen, when Falcon wins, where he spreads his arms and stretches his chest muscles to the max has been EXTREMELY nerfed. In melee I felt like the Captain was going to rip open everytime, but in Brawl.. he's just not giving it his all.

Tenki

Smash Hero
On Falcon Punch...

It's pretty common knowledge, or rather, 'uncommon', but you have the ability to influence Falcon's aerial movement while doing a reverse (the turnaround) Falcon Punch.

I've had some weird moments where I'd start a 360 punch jumping toward the opponent, then float backwards as I go over his head, and punish a whiffed Fsmash pointed in the wrong direction with a Falcon Punch.

Or times where someone would try to do a D-air to hit me out of it, but I'd move backwards juust enough to be out of range of the attack but still get the guy with RFP's 'forward step'.

And of course, normal Falcon Punch isn't "as slow", since everyone else moves slower too, and the whole landing lag and 'no L-cancel' business means there are more potential openings for it to hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom