• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Falcon, the manliest character in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
yeah........which is why Brawl was a sell out for the core

my noobish friends can't even get 20% on me in a melee 4 stock match, but in brawl they can kill me cause of the odd trip. Brawl is designed to be scrub friendly

and why would ranking system help noobs get into brawl's online easier? unless people with the same win/loss ratio get to face each other, but that would cost money and Nintendo is cheap and care about getting the sales, face it man Brawl isn't even a real smash game from a competitive standpoint.
Hooray! another smart 08'er!

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Falcon doesn't suck he's just hustling. For about the first year or so he's going to act like he's really bad, then when his opponents let there guard down he'll totally own them.

Back in the real world now, yeah he sucks. No priority, no approach, some of the worst match-ups in the game. Falcon/MK is the Bowser/Shiek of Brawl. Near unwinnable. The lack of hitstun does suck too, but I'll take no stun if they'll give me back my priority.

But lets try to look on the sunny side. Knee still kills when it hits, it just usually doesn't anymore. He's still one of the funnest characters to play despite his crappiness. And he does have a few good moves. UpB got a major boost, and I think people should use it more offensively, just don't over do it. Uair and Bair are still nice. Nair is good circumstatially and he does have a few good grab set ups.

Thats pretty much all common knowledge though. The only new things I've been trying out are in his approach, just trying to make it suck a little less. I've been trying out dash>shield>out of shield upB, not very useful but I'm just working with what I got. Kick, and RAR'd bair are probably still his best options though. To bad there isn't much good to do from there.

Oh well. Keep the faith I guess.

thechunkylover

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I hear Falcon now, I always think of Dan from Street Fighter Alpha. They both suck, think they're the **** ( not so much Falcon ) , and if your able to win with them you have ballz the size of grapefruits ( only half of Falcon's ).

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
Grah. I hate when people do this. L-cancel isn't a glitch. Proof: http://web.archive.org/web/19991117180837/http://smashbros.com/moves_advattacklanding.html

Wavedashing was programmed into the game; however, the creators never intended it to be used the way it was. If you want to play a game that forces you to play the way the designers intended, go play an MMO. And WDing actually helped balance the game. Luigi would've been even worse without it.

Aside from those two "glitches" (they're not), I can't think of any others.
Oops. I was in my Melee mindset.:dizzy:

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon is definitely the underdog of Brawl right now.
According to the premiere edition Brawl players guide, CF is just below Marth in overall score with a migthy 8 out of 10.
His scores are as follows
Offense: 8
Defense: 7
Projectile: -
Final Smash - 6
Throwing Ability - 10
Speed - 10

Captain Falcon is the only character in the guide to score a 10 in throwing ability, putting Dedede to shame. The best strategy of course is to chianthrow with his downthrow into a dashing grab, repeat. This can also be finished with a fair hit when they go off the edge.
Over b is also the perfect edgeguarding move. Seriously this guide loves it and it' s a guide so it can't be wrong. I mean it cost $20 who would publish something that cost $20 per book and was filled with incorrect information. Nobody would so this guide is right.
Falcon's speed is 10, does that mean Sonic goes up to 11?
spinal tap anyone?

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
That is exactly what Sakurai wants. Smash bros games are meant to be played without glitches and most ATs. He played that way, and being that Brawl is best designed for that play, he won. And if you need to glitch out the game in order to win, go play Melee.
Ugh....really SmashBrother2008, your wording of Advanced Techs ("glitches") makes you sound really uninformed about melee....."glitching it out"....."glitch out the game".

First of all, L canceling isn't "a glitch". Click doggalina's link please. And as he said, wavedashing was programmed into the game. Sakurai knew it was in there, he just didn't know how players would use it/if they'd use it.

Secondly, even if they WERE "glitches" (they aren't), it sounds like you're against them because you couldn't do them, or didn't feel like putting in the time to learn them. If you COULD do them, you wouldn't make them up to be this big bad monster/game ruiner/thing that sucks. You'd realize that it helped the game a lot. It made it more competitive and balanced. It had absolutely no detrimental effect on melee....at all.

Why are you so against AT's? We play a competitive game, and AT's are what set apart casual smashers from competitive players, right?

I don't see where you're coming from at all. Sakurai made the game with the intention for us to play "normally". But sakurai also intends for us to smash on the C-stick the entire time, play with Items on high, and laugh and smile when we trip. : /

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Ugh....really SmashBrother2008, your wording of Advanced Techs ("glitches") makes you sound really uninformed about melee....."glitching it out"....."glitch out the game".

First of all, L canceling isn't "a glitch". Click doggalina's link please. And as he said, wavedashing was programmed into the game. Sakurai knew it was in there, he just didn't know how players would use it/if they'd use it.

Secondly, even if they WERE "glitches" (they aren't), it sounds like you're against them because you couldn't do them, or didn't feel like putting in the time to learn them. If you COULD do them, you wouldn't make them up to be this big bad monster/game ruiner/thing that sucks. You'd realize that it helped the game a lot. It made it more competitive and balanced. It had absolutely no detrimental effect on melee....at all.

Why are you so against AT's? We play a competitive game, and AT's are what set apart casual smashers from competitive players, right?

I don't see where you're coming from at all. Sakurai made the game with the intention for us to play "normally". But sakurai also intends for us to smash on the C-stick the entire time, play with Items on high, and laugh and smile when we trip. : /
Just ignore that... I used fox in Melee. Yes, I new how to wavedash and whatnot but poeple complained that it was too cheap so I stopped. And I have to be honest, I play 70% of the time with Items on low and 30% with items off when I need practice.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I highly doubt we're supposed to smash on the C-stick the entire time, since you can program attacks and specials onto it instead of smashes, and wiimote/wiimote+nunchuck don't have a C-stick.

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
I highly doubt we're supposed to smash on the C-stick the entire time, since you can program attacks and specials onto it instead of smashes, and wiimote/wiimote+nunchuck don't have a C-stick.
lol...I was mostly jk.

except for the part about tripping. lol.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Blargh, Falcon in my opinion is the hardest character to play effectively in the game; he requires an ungodly amount of forethought and an intimate knowledge of every single nuance to overcome his balls approach and mad situational kill moves (Bair, Uair, Dair, Fair, Fsmash, sometimes Usmash).

He isn't good by any stretch of the imagination, but he can be used quite effectively. Kirby, Meta, G&W, and sometimes Pika can **** him for free though, and everybody else is an uphill battle. He's still manly as f*ck though, the badness just grows hair on your chest.

Majora_younglink

Smash Apprentice
I love when trolls decide to post their opinions.

I still think there should be experiments to find out things that out prioritize C Falcon moves and what moves C Falcon out prioritizes.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
It's so unfair!

Why couldn't C.Falcon get a Utilt like Snakes?

That alone would make him at least middle tier! maybe even high tier!

And Snakes Fsmash is faster AND more powerful than FalconPunch! lol

The only thing that is better with FalconPunch is that it can be used in the air!

This is frickin SiCK !

Wogrim

Smash Lord
It's so unfair!

Why couldn't C.Falcon get a Utilt like Snakes?

That alone would make him at least middle tier! maybe even high tier!

And Snakes Fsmash is faster AND more powerful than FalconPunch! lol

The only thing that is better with FalconPunch is that it can be used in the air!

This is frickin SiCK !
No one should have a UTilt like Snake's. It needs to be nerfed is all.

I'd also like some proof that Snake's FSmash is faster and more powerful.

Since Falcon Punch can be used in the air and can be reversed, it's really the fact that it can't be charged like a smash that could make it less useful in a few situations.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Is it even possible for a good Falcon to beat a good Snake? =/

No one should have a UTilt like Snake's. It needs to be nerfed is all.

I'd also like some proof that Snake's FSmash is faster and more powerful.
Yes nefred, agreed..

I think it's a little faster, I'm not sure about the power though!

Majora_younglink

Smash Apprentice
Is it even possible for a good Falcon to beat a good Snake? =/

Yes nefred, agreed..

I think it's a little faster, I'm not sure about the power though!
Yes. Its really not that hard to be honest too. His size is really what helps C Falcon in that match. Knees can be landed and such.

If anything ask the question... If two equally skilled players played, one as MK and the other as CF, how bad would the CF lose?

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
If you main captain falcon, or you go on wi-fi just to show people your moves, you are an elite member of the first national core of badassery.

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon is definitely the underdog of Brawl right now.
According to the premiere edition Brawl players guide, CF is just below Marth in overall score with a migthy 8 out of 10.
His scores are as follows
Defense: 7
Final Smash - 6
Throwing Ability - 10
Speed - 10

Captain Falcon is the only character in the guide to score a 10 in throwing ability, putting Dedede to shame. The best strategy of course is to chianthrow with his downthrow into a dashing grab, repeat. This can also be finished with a fair hit when they go off the edge.
Over b is also the perfect edgeguarding move. Seriously this guide loves it and it' s a guide so it can't be wrong. I mean it cost $20 who would publish something that cost $20 per book and was filled with incorrect information. Nobody would so this guide is right.
Defense: 5
Final Smash - 9
Throwing Ability - 6
Speed - 9 (Sonic)
range in his throw sucks big ones. His offense is good but he is laggy. Final smashes one of the best in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom