• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Lol, someone should just buffer DACUS out of their buffer DACUSes and go back and forth across the stage. Would look hilarious.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
I've tried doing that, but I can't buffer them in the opposite direction I'm facing. I have no idea why. It might just be me.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
Also can wario get grabbed out of bite?
Ive noticed this happen to me against DDD, falco and ness lol.

Neo X

Smash Apprentice
I've been wondering,1) what is the best way to approach an opponent & 2) Is airdodging pass through an opponent a good way to approach?

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
Dair bombing works on some characters, but you need to mix things up. That is the point of jumping around like an idiot. You're trying to make your opponent unsure of what you're doing while getting an idea of their defense options.

Try jumping a few times towards them and then retreat making a mental note of what they did to react. Think about what they did and try and find a hole in it. Then exploit it until they figure it out and adapt, then start over again.

Dair bombing can be good, but don't fully commit to it until you know what they are going to do. Land behind them, generally people have worse options behind them than in front. And auto-cancel it too. If they shield/spot dodge it and punish more than once try making it look like you're going to Dair, but just fall with a bite on their shield.

You're only real options for approach are SH Fair, SH/FH Dair, SH/FH Bair, and to a lesser extent DACUS.

Neo X

Smash Apprentice
Dair bombing works on some characters, but you need to mix things up. That is the point of jumping around like an idiot. You're trying to make your opponent unsure of what you're doing while getting an idea of their defense options.

Try jumping a few times towards them and then retreat making a mental note of what they did to react. Think about what they did and try and find a hole in it. Then exploit it until they figure it out and adapt, then start over again.

Dair bombing can be good, but don't fully commit to it until you know what they are going to do. Land behind them, generally people have worse options behind them than in front. And auto-cancel it too. If they shield/spot dodge it and punish more than once try making it look like you're going to Dair, but just fall with a bite on their shield.

You're only real options for approach are SH Fair, SH/FH Dair, SH/FH Bair, and to a lesser extent DACUS.
Okay now I see! Thanks a lot!

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Dair bombing can be good, but don't fully commit to it until you know what they are going to do. Land behind them, generally people have worse options behind them than in front.
That's actually not true. Apart from a grab, the opponent can have the exact same options behind them as in front of them without losing any frames, and without having to read the Wario's landing and therefore without having to commit to turning around.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
Yeah chars with a good oos bair or something like bowsers upb makes landing behind them pointless sometimes.
Dont get to comforable with your retreating aerials. They are punishable to dacus.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
What I meant to say is that chars can still ftilt, utilt, dtilt and jab you if you land behind them, without having to read where you land and without losing any extra frames. It's no different to landing in front of you, except for the grab. They don't even have to do things like OOS bair if they have better options on the ground.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Me.

Who else would travel?

Also if they do teams... Oh my god so much **** for me and Dphat/Dojo/Lee Martin/National player who travels lol

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
Even though i have
Zero ppl met offline
Zero tourney experience
Zero ppl skills
Zero dacus skills
Zero style *i like biker wario*
Zero ganon experience

Id like to think im the best wario to go to this :)

bassem6

Smash Lord
phantomX is still better than bassem i think lol

i wouldnt exclude him until he actually quits

*OPINION*
Now I know this is your opinion and all but I just wanna say that I have placed higher than px at every tournament that the two of us have attended except for maybe phase 2 I think. Im not saying Im better than he is, but it would be reasonable to base your opinion on evidence before you make bold statements. Im not mad or anything, but Im just saying, I think me and px are at least on the same level.

You can exclude me anyway b/c I'm close to quitting anyway and have been phasing out of the game over the past season. Does that make me any worse of a player? No, but it DOES exclude me from tournament viability.

Bassem has done a good job of taking up the mantle here in the Southwest in my stead, keeping Wario in those good placings. Now to get him to learn to beat Jerm and Hylian.

Malcolm is an extremely good player, but he'll even tell you himself that his Wario is far from being seasoned enough to be the best.
I've only played jerm in tournament once dawg. And that was like last year. I would feel confident if I had to play him again I think. I do admit that I need to learn to beat IC's and I do need a bit more g&w experience. Thanks for your support btw :)

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Did you attend any of the same events as me last season (the only one where I actually wanted to win most of the time since I wanted to break top 5 before quitting)? I think that was the season with Phase 2 and that HOBO that you beat me at, which I guess would put us at even.

Like I said though, it all depends on what you classify as the best. I'm not the best and never will be the best tournament Wario, largely in part because I'll never care to be. I prefer to spend my time innovating or goofing around or chatting w/ players.

But yes, this is why I don't like these discussions.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
Now I know this is your opinion and all but I just wanna say that I have placed higher than px at every tournament that the two of us have attended except for maybe phase 2 I think. Im not saying Im better than he is, but it would be reasonable to base your opinion on evidence before you make bold statements. Im not mad or anything, but Im just saying, I think me and px are at least on the same level.

I've only played jerm in tournament once dawg. And that was like last year. I would feel confident if I had to play him again I think. I do admit that I need to learn to beat IC's and I do need a bit more g&w experience. Thanks for your support btw :)
after seeing phase 6 results my opinion has been changed a lot lol

anyways i just see that you sometimes lose to people you shouldnt so i was just-
idont even know where im going with this

im hella tired

going to bed

<3 bassem

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Nah, Bassem really only loses to the same people I did (TX top 3, Lee Martin, maybe Fogo/Jerm) and then Hylian. I don't think he's had a random loss in a long while.

bassem6

Smash Lord
after seeing phase 6 results my opinion has been changed a lot lol

anyways i just see that you sometimes lose to people you shouldnt so i was just-
idont even know where im going with this

im hella tired

going to bed

<3 bassem
lol ok xD <3 you too haha

Nah, Bassem really only loses to the same people I did (TX top 3, Lee Martin, maybe Fogo/Jerm) and then Hylian. I don't think he's had a random loss in a long while.
That about sums it up. I would like to see how I would do against fogo now that I play gay against ddd though haha.

Did you attend any of the same events as me last season (the only one where I actually wanted to win most of the time since I wanted to break top 5 before quitting)? I think that was the season with Phase 2 and that HOBO that you beat me at, which I guess would put us at even.

Like I said though, it all depends on what you classify as the best. I'm not the best and never will be the best tournament Wario, largely in part because I'll never care to be. I prefer to spend my time innovating or goofing around or chatting w/ players.

But yes, this is why I don't like these discussions.
Last season like early last year? Would you consider oh snap 5 to be in there too? The recent ones were hobo 21 and phase 6 but as you said I dont think you cared too much about those. (Going ganon in singles wtf xD)

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I've been hard sandbagging since our last PR list came out, haha, basically since I decided I was going to stop playing.

I hope you beat Fogo, I'm pretty confident I could do it if I'd stop SDing once a round against him, lol. You could do it as long as you don't DACUS him :)

bassem6

Smash Lord
Haha, trust me I know from experience xD Dacus is good in some matchups and in others it just gets you *****.

leatherhead93

Smash Journeyman
So is G&w a hard matchup?
Just played the best in FL
Nair is hella gay. It shuts down alot of approuches. But besides that the matchup isnt too hard. Up b is annoying as well actually.

.....................i take it back this matchup is one of the most annoying besides peach.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
So is G&w a hard matchup?
Just played the best in FL
Nair is hella gay. It shuts down alot of approuches. But besides that the matchup isnt too hard. Up b is annoying as well actually.

.....................i take it back this matchup is one of the most annoying besides peach.
Be patient and ftilt.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Sometimes it doesn't feel like that though, I know what you mean...but it is something personal, just gotta overcome it.

Top Bottom