• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

Gichan

Smash Champion
What's the best way to approach a Samus? The Samus is spamming missles and everytim I get close I will get hit by a tilt.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Wario does not have the best aerial movement in the game. He is outclassed by yoshi (most) and jiggs (second most). Wario does aircamp the best though, due to his fast falling speed and small SH + normal double jump.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
What's the best way to approach a Samus? The Samus is spamming missles and everytim I get close I will get hit by a tilt.
Go for the Bike. It seems from my experience that in order to knock Wario off his Bike, a Homing or Super Missiile, or a Charge Shot or z-air, or just about anything has to hit Wario directly. Someone mentioned doing a wheelie helps get through most projectile attacks, and the least you'll have to worry about is Samus using her tilt on you. Also try to shield Samus' tilt(s) and counter it with a grab. Grabbing annoys me the most when fighting Wario, because it's difficult, though not impossible, for Samus to grab. Try to come from above Samus with your d-air. You can move away. It's very annoying when Wario comes at me with an aerial and pulls back.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Go for the Bike. It seems from my experience that in order to knock Wario off his Bike, a Homing or Super Missiile, or a Charge Shot or z-air, or just about anything has to hit Wario directly. Someone mentioned doing a wheelie helps get through most projectile attacks, and the least you'll have to worry about is Samus using her tilt on you. Also try to shield Samus' tilt(s) and counter it with a grab. Grabbing annoys me the most when fighting Wario, because it's difficult, though not impossible, for Samus to grab. Try to come from above Samus with your d-air. You can move away. It's very annoying when Wario comes at me with an aerial and pulls back.
Thanks for the help man, that's freaking awesome! I haven't tried a wheelie. So I'm guessing I should do an aerial then move away rather than trying to combo all the time. good stuff, thanks.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Dryn, go watch DMG vs Ultimate Razer on Brinstar.
I just got finished watching the video. So, what happened was, Dr. Mario Guy let UltimateRazer beat himself. I couldn't help but be amazed on how many times UltimateRazer attacked, even though much of the time he didn't even need to. Wario wore out Snake just by jumping at Snake and then jumping away from him. Watching the video, I'm thinking, "Stop attacking. It's not necessary. Wait for him to get to you." In an actual match, however, it's different. I know what it's like to get thrown off. Once you realize, "Hey, he's not even attacking me," it's too late.

Gichan said:
Thanks for the help man, that's freaking awesome! I haven't tried a wheelie. So I'm guessing I should do an aerial then move away rather than trying to combo all the time. good stuff, thanks.
Be sure to have your Bike off the stage after you try that out, though, because if you're off the stage, and your Bike is on the stage, you'll likely not make it back, unless you have a fully charged Wario Waft. But yeah, usually a f-air toward your opponent and then moving back helps. You might not always land the hit, but it does mess with your opponent's head. His d-air is especially annoying. Someone named Krystedez, I think, used d-air and then grabbed me. I wasn't able to beat his Wario.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
NO disrespect to Dryn, but Gichan...just because someone has a red name doesnt mean their advice is the best. Samus can easily zair you off of your bike and then you have to get it offstage. Keep in mind, however that you can easily powershield missiles as Popertop said, or your fair will beast through them every time. Fair through missiles and then PS the second one after your fair. Use this to get close enough and then either go for the grab, or bait a tilt into a falling dair.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Yeah I probably have the most Samus exp out of any Wario.

lol.

unless fiction plays Tudor LOLOLOL.

but samus is also one of my secondaries.

but yeah, walking powershield is your best bet.

Gichan

Smash Champion
I took his advice because he plays Samus, but if it is wrong then fine, but some of his points are still valid. Thanks for the advice Fiction, I didn't know I can fair through missiles, that is very interesting I am definitely trying that next time.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
NO disrespect to Dryn, but Gichan...just because someone has a red name doesnt mean their advice is the best.
None taken. :) It's true about the red name. Pay attention to the post count. :laugh: In all seriousness, you can really only come down to experience through playing the game.

Gichan said:
I took his advice because he plays Samus, but if it is wrong then fine, but some of his points are still valid.
Yeah, I main Samus, so I don't want anyone knowing my secrets. ;) I've only had experience against like two Wario mains, so my information is limited.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You don't even need to powershield if you don't want to, just airdodge into their comfort zone, avoid their dairs and zairs above all else, and avoid their "kill moves" (they have fsmash, dtilt, and charge shot), and you'll be fine. Fairing through projectiles is fun too, but not really necessary.

I took out Xyro without too much trouble, and he's one of the best Samuses out there.

Popertop

Smash Champion
You don't even need to powershield if you don't want to, just airdodge into their comfort zone, avoid their dairs and zairs above all else, and avoid their "kill moves" (they have fsmash, dtilt, and charge shot), and you'll be fine. Fairing through projectiles is fun too, but not really necessary.

I took out Xyro without too much trouble, and he's one of the best Samuses out there.
yeah that matchup is horribad.

I try not to airdodge too much, because he charge shot me through it a couple times

Padô

Smash Lord
Any good tips agains a VERY GOOD olimar player?
His pivot grab eats me, his fsmash is very good at keeping me away if i Double Jump Dair Bomb him he'll just pivot me when I land even if it cancelled correctly (dair).

Any light guys?

Gichan

Smash Champion
Any good tips agains a VERY GOOD olimar player?
His pivot grab eats me, his fsmash is very good at keeping me away if i Double Jump Dair Bomb him he'll just pivot me when I land even if it cancelled correctly (dair).

Any light guys?
Let's see what input I can give you. I second Olimar and when I play a fellow Wario main, he ****s my **** up when he gets in my range. You see, Olimar is one of those gay match-ups for Wario since he doesn't have a projectile. The Olimar player can spam and spam and just predict what approach you do and **** it up. Like if you wanted to go for dair bombs cause he can't spam up, he can uair you (so much priority), pivot, or evne upB before you had the chance of setting up the angle of dair. So things to do are airdodge behind him and start grabbing, jab a lot, lots of nairs to fsmashes or other things. Mainly, if you are in the comfort zone unleash teh Warioman. And if you get a lead, you can always DMG that ****, cause you might as well be patient towards a patienr char that you are beating.

And obviously the number one adivce, gimp his ***. Sit on that ledge, or just fly out there and fair him. Olimar's options are so limited off the stage, he has to either have a purple pikmin to hit you with or do a rising uair to get you off that ledge. So remember, do the off stage combo of fair to nair. Then at higher percents (or not even for olimar, just like 50% or something) start for the fair gimps.

This is my input, but just wait for what the pros to tell you, their advice is too good, I use it all the time.

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
Wario does not have the best aerial movement in the game. He is outclassed by yoshi (most) and jiggs (second most). Wario does aircamp the best though, due to his fast falling speed and small SH + normal double jump.
Yeah, you're right, although I do remember reading somewhere that Wario has a very high acceleration (faster than yoshi + jiggs) so it's easier for him to turn around in the air. Just thought I'd point that out. I don't know though, I could be wrong.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
My preferred choice of action is relentless pressure against Olimar. Their usual tactics are not viable b/c all of Warios attacks will beat out his Pikmin attacks... however, Oli's non Pikmin attacks will beat Warios (which is a bit annoying, but since they're all multi-hit you can SDI them and punish). Here are some videos against a strong Olimar player so you can see MY approach to it.

Ignore the latched Pikmin for hte most part, remember to vary your approach so he can't punish you as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Ihti0UJk0

EDIT: Who exactly are the Wario pros?

Gichan

Smash Champion
LOLOL, you, Ficition, and DMG. The only three to really post for every question. Although I guess I am seeing that Stnapknah is one of them to I guess.

btw phantomX, I reeeaallyy like your style of Wario, I thought you'd be pretty campy, but hellz no. Noly when you gotta be right?

with that comes one of my questions, should I campy a Diddy?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
LOLOL, you, Ficition, and DMG. The only three to really post for every question. Although I guess I am seeing that Stnapknah is one of them to I guess.

btw phantomX, I reeeaallyy like your style of Wario, I thought you'd be pretty campy, but hellz no. Noly when you gotta be right?

I don't camp, lol. Longest I've ever managed was 40 seconds before I got bored. I WILL wait for openings though, I enjoy dancing just outside my opponents range and then punishing. Aggressive grabbing is also something I do often.

Don't camp a Diddy. They thrive on pressure and momentum, so you get that **** and don't give it back to them, lol. Wario's banana/Z-drop game is pretty amazing, and you can gimp Diddy's too (watch out for Diddy hump, though), so letting them set up is a bad idea. Don't play it as aggro as Oli, but don't camp it (unless you like DMG Wario which camps everything :p)

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Uh... the Diddy destroyed his first stock by pressuring him, also, he has a pretty readable gameplan. He spams grabs early on, so approach with bites/pivot bites on him, and then once he starts C sticking (which he does) to attempt a kill play normally, b/c your moves go through Olis. He also rolls behind you every time if he's too close to the edge, which should be a free reversed fsmash or a waft. I got that from the first 2 stocks I saw, lol.

I know you probably DON'T want to help him, but tell him he needs to pikmin toss.

Gichan

Smash Champion
I don't know phantom, that olimar has a pretty interesting style, I think that the reduced pikmin spam is what makes his style a little unpredicatable. for example, the diddy player would attempt to rush in and grab him when he is tossing pikmin because he/she assumes that the olimar would toss another pikmin, instead he got mindgamed into a grab. Also, his rolling may be slightly predicatble as he likes to roll more than once on occasion, but it seemed that his rolling forced the diddy to roll, cause it was for no reason. Overall, the olimar player has good mindgames, and the diddy player was falling for all of it.

The thign about Pado is that, I assume, he was having trouble with the pivot grab more than anything else. If Pado attempts to approach wouldn't the oli just pivot everything? Becuase I don't really see the oli player shield as much nor spotdodge, he/she likes to spam smashes so the bite won't be as effective. So it all comes down rather Wario has more priority over the fsmash. But if it stands true that Wario's moves beat all of Oli's pikmin moves, then the conclusion would be that fair would beat the fsmash.

But still, the pivot. I guess pado you should try reading the pivot into a grab, rather than spacing, let's say, the fair to hit him where he is standing, go for where you think he'll retreat to for the pivot grab. Or take phantom's advice, pressure his *** to force him into shield happiness, then bring out the bites.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I just got finished watching the video. So, what happened was, Dr. Mario Guy let UltimateRazer beat himself. I couldn't help but be amazed on how many times UltimateRazer attacked, even though much of the time he didn't even need to. Wario wore out Snake just by jumping at Snake and then jumping away from him. Watching the video, I'm thinking, "Stop attacking. It's not necessary. Wait for him to get to you." In an actual match, however, it's different. I know what it's like to get thrown off. Once you realize, "Hey, he's not even attacking me," it's too late.
The thing though, is that I can keep jumping around and if he doesn't attack then I win on %. I was attacking him after he attacked to build my lead up more, I could have kept jumping around even if he tried to Nair or Uair at me. His best shot was to try and hit me with like a grenade that he cooked well and bounced off the stage so that it flew at an angle. Otherwise on that stage Snake has really nothing to stop me from doing that.

If I get a full stock advantage doing that, especially Snake on Brinstar, you can just go ahead and forfeit the match. Even if there was 8 minutes still left, the advantage I have is too strong.

Vs Diddy you don't have to camp them like I do, but against good Diddy's you might find yourself very picky of an opening, which can take awhile (40 seconds +). I usually don't do the Diddy vs Wario matchup simply because I usually do fine at Diddy Dittos, but when I do the matchup I'm not flying around for 3 minutes unless I think I need that much time to find an opening.

sluys

Smash Journeyman
Most of the time Diddy will use bananas better than you, and also be able to easily catch or pick up the ones you throw back.

Unless I'm going for a glide toss fsmash or have a decent opening to hit him I'll just steal the bananas and put them on the other side of the stage where he as to fight through me to get them.

Gichan

Smash Champion
but doesn't a ****ing jab own my bite! Then again I think I was approaching a character that owns my priority, your words of wisdom are great fiction, I'll remember it for next time.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Wario was just discussed on the GW boards and they did have a gen. consensus on 50:50~

DMG thinks Wario has the adv on D3 55:45 / 60:40 (stage dependant) because of "air camping" I presume~ the same would apply to yoshi...

I don't really know how to approach both of these matchups with Wario so I just go Peach lol.

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
that match-up chart actually just takes the numbers that each board has listed... those numbers are what we have the match-ups as (according to DMG's match-up thread), so that's why it says that. Also, in Wario's Snake column, it will say 58 (avg of 55-60) but in Snake's wario column, it will say 50 (that's what they have it as). The match-up thread is used more to see which boards have actually come to an agreement on the matchup. Lastly, DMG is one lazy mother ****er, and never updates anything. I think the yoshi-wario match up was agreed to be in Wario's favor (over on the yoshi boards).

BentoBox

Smash Master
So I just read the thread on Yoshi's and Id like to know what is the most effective way of mashing out of a grab?

JonnyManya

Smash Apprentice
I have a upcoming torny and I'm bringing Wario as my main.
However, one stage is bothering me, which is Green Hill Zone.
They made it legal in the counter pick section.

What should I watch out for on that stage?
Who should I bring?
Should I ban it against anyone?

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Hey DMG,

Why does your guide have Wario lsited as having only like 2 disadvantages?

Is Wario THAT GOOD?

Top Bottom