• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Can the whole cast grab release infinite Wario? Or at least have follow-ups after the grab release?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I'm sorry, but how is Wario suppose to be used, I just can't get any ideas from his moveset :/
Is he a gimper?
Cause I've really got no idea how to begin using him.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I'm sorry, but how is Wario suppose to be used, I just can't get any ideas from his moveset :/
Is he a gimper?
Cause I've really got no idea how to begin using him.
Wario is a jack of all trades, use him like you want to use him, pretty much XD Just remember that his airdodge = god.

The pikmin removal thing depends on where on his body the pikmin are. Nair usually hits them off. I personally just ignore the pikmin and go straight for the Olimar.

Wario is good cuz he wants to be, and doesn't give a **** that nobody like him as a character.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
the backroom was made by someone who just recently started coming to the wario boards.

:094:
Excuse you. :)
I've been here for awhile, and just started posting, ackshually.
Nobody made it. So I did. I play Wario. And go to offline tournies.
You don't.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Because you never post results, participate in matchup discussions, have offline videos, or do anything to contribute to your character's game.

You just... I don't know what you do.

@slikvik - My apoligies! I was only told to invite some people, and I looked for the active users about 2 weeks ago. I never saw you. But it's cool now, you're invited. I made the room myself because nobody else did, and I mentioned it awhile ago.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
... and by that, I'm assuming that you really don't go to tournaments.
This is getting off topic, so I'm gonna cut it here. :laugh:
Don't kill me.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
My sincere recommendation is that you play as Diddy for a while to get a feel for his banana game. Basically whoever has better item control will win.

Oh, and gimp him... HARD... but don't get Diddy humped offstage, that sucks.

Popertop

Smash Champion
I don't advise playing as diddy at all, actually.

Grab one banana, and space the other one behind you/below you.
Banana pressure on the shield.

Throw Naner down > Dair (recatch)[second jump] > Dthrow > Dair(recatch)/Grab

Naner > Waft

Fair > Nair off stage

Waft his Up-b

Nair his Up-B ( if he is relativly low he won't be able to recover, or you can just ledgehog him)

Be patient. I can't tell you enough how important it is to be patient.

Hey Phantom, how do you beat Meta?
I lost to Light's Meta, and it really pissed me off. At one point he kept me in the air with seven tornadoes.
LIke, really angry. It didn't help that I played like ****, but he could have at least played a real character.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
How did you get tornadoed so much? o_O I pretty much punished Dojo every time he tried it. Airdodge through and get to the ground asap. Tilt shield up so it doesn't poke, etc. You have to play Meta very patiently, poke attacks here and there, ***** your shield as much as you can, don't jump into smashes, etc. It's much better to get grabbed by them (since they have no grab release shenanigans) than it is to eat a smash or an aerial that can possibly combo into itself. You'll probably take like 2-3 times more damage than them, but you'll kill them much faster. Just don't try to full waft glide attacks T_T

And playing against Diddy really helps with banana control. Also, it's easier to gimp Diddy's up b with a divebomb dair, as it'll stop him even if he already started ascending ^_^

Popertop

Smash Champion
oooo you have a point there.

I just don't have any good/really freakin gay metas to practice against in Beaumont,and everytime lee visits esca will complain if I try and play him a bunch.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dair meta through his tornado. I get it nearly 95% of the time, and at lower %'s I get another free Dair, sometimes even clap or Fsmash depending on how high they are.

Also, for Diddy I didn't really notice a difference in handling banana's better myself as Wario after trying out Diddy a bunch. What I did learn better were Diddy's full options at any given time, and what he can truly get away with OOS and with glide tosses.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Dair meta through his tornado. I get it nearly 95% of the time, and at lower %'s I get another free Dair, sometimes even clap or Fsmash depending on how high they are.

Also, for Diddy I didn't really notice a difference in handling banana's better myself as Wario after trying out Diddy a bunch. What I did learn better were Diddy's full options at any given time, and what he can truly get away with OOS and with glide tosses.
I tried to but it didn't work. I guess I was fastfalling them accidentally. ******* c-stick

BBQ°

Smash Champion
How does Wario approach Lucario? It seems like Lucario's tilts and disjointed hitboxes make it impossible to get near him. Also, Lucario's rolls make him really hard to approach too.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
:dizzy:
just mix up the airdodge.

and learn how to clap through his Dair (inbetween them I mean)
This doesn't help at all. If I approach with air dodge then Lucario will just roll away. And don't say "predict the roll dodges", because this particular Lucario user is one of the best players in the state, so he knows what he's doing and will make sure I won't adapt.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
If you autocancel your aerials and fastfall them properly you can outpace their dodges, or you can bait them with an approaching jump and then bike into them. Luc's roll is good but it's not unpunishable by any means.

Luc's tilts are also pretty committed, so if you can airdodge past them you can punish him.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Boost Smash covers his rolls. I understand what you mean though by it's hard to approach him. Normally, yes it is, but there are a few things to go through that make it easier. It's just a big spacing game, he rolls you gain ground. If he tries to cross over you, you have him covered. He can however almost do the same to Wario.

It's a very subtle game, but Wario barely has it covered.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
If you autocancel your aerials and fastfall them properly you can outpace their dodges, or you can bait them with an approaching jump and then bike into them. Luc's roll is good but it's not unpunishable by any means.

Luc's tilts are also pretty committed, so if you can airdodge past them you can punish him.
Do you suggest using Nair to "outpace their dodges"? In general, I like Dair because it has nice set ups but it doesn't have as much range as Nair. I've noticed that Bair is pretty good for beating out roll dodges too, but it's really hard to follow up with it.

For punshing tilts: I punish stuff like tilts with grabs. However, I can never seem to follow up with grabs against Lucario. If I downthrow, Lucario can just roll away and Wario is too slow to do anything after. If I throw in the air, Lucario's aerials pretty much protect him and he can get to the ground safely.
I think a large part of it is having to REALLY know the Lucario match up. You have to know the range of his hitboxes (which change as damage changes :(), and you have to know the timing between his attacks to be able to punish. I just need more practice against Lucario.

Boost Smash covers his rolls. I understand what you mean though by it's hard to approach him. Normally, yes it is, but there are a few things to go through that make it easier. It's just a big spacing game, he rolls you gain ground. If he tries to cross over you, you have him covered. He can however almost do the same to Wario.

It's a very subtle game, but Wario barely has it covered.
Yes...playing patiently. Another thing I need to work on, especially with Wario. It's too fun playing aggressive with him ^_^

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Just fthrow Lucario. He's floaty so they can just jump away after dthrow. You can upair their dairs with good timing, but yeah, you definitely need to know the spacing, lol. Um... you CAN use nair to chase, but it's a bit slower for chasing than AutoCanceled dairs are.

BentoBox

Smash Master
So, I played a Yoshi the other day and got my 3 stocks infinited. We were playing on BF and he camped under a platform spamming eggs. His pivot grabs took care of any approach I committed to and well, aside from camping and dodging eggs, I really did not know what to do. How do you guys deal with Yoshis? Heard the match-up was in Wario's favor and I was wondering why... as you are pretty much forced to camp. The match-up is similar to D3 in that regard, which you guys also have it as Wario's adv, and that's what I don't get.

Falco and MK are said to be even but Falco has -no- answer to ledgecamping, so if the MK resorted to LCing, the match-up could go as far as 70:30~ Is the same logic applied for Wario and his toughest match-ups? How does running away grant you an advantage anyways?

At some point or another, you'll want to get in and deal some damage of your own and you can't always hope for your opponent to make mistakes (platforms always get in the way in BF </3).

Also

Is the Waft's hitbox wider in the air than on the ground?
And I know that with a fully charged waft, your entire body is a hitbox on your way up; does that apply to uncharged wafts as well?

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
So, I played a Yoshi the other day and got my 3 stocks infinited. We were playing on BF and he camped under a platform spamming eggs. His pivot grabs took care of any approach I committed to and well, aside from camping and dodging eggs, I really did not know what to do. How do you guys deal with Yoshis? Heard the match-up was in Wario's favor and I was wondering why... as you are pretty much forced to camp. The match-up is similar to D3 in that regard, which you guys also have it as Wario's adv, and that's what I don't get.

Falco and MK are said to be even but Falco has -no- answer to ledgecamping, so if the MK resorted to LCing, the match-up could go as far as 70:30~ Is the same logic applied for Wario and his toughest match-ups? How does running away grant you an advantage anyways?

At some point or another, you'll want to get in and deal some damage of your own and you can't always hope for your opponent to make mistakes (platforms always get in the way in BF </3).

Also

And I know that with a fully charged waft, your entire body is a hitbox on your way up; does that apply to uncharged wafts as well?

Yes, your body is a hit-box for the uncharged wafts but keep in mind it can be out prioritized easily (unfortunately, the majority of the time it is out prioritized for me).

As for yoshi on BF, one of my favorite approaches on that level is a fast falled clap through a platform (watch some reflex videos to get a feel for it). He shouldnt be able to grab you if you approach through the platform above him. At that point, if he starts catching on, you can start going back to horizontal approaches and mixing it up. Once you get him in the air, annoy the hell out of him, because as soon as he touches the ground again, you have to be extremely careful to not get grabbed. Other methods of getting close are using DACUS or the bike, although it can be risky. In addition, you can bust out your bike and annoy him with tires (you can let his eggs break the bike so you're not vulnerable). Lastly, abuse airdodge. Wario's air dodge lasts just as many frames as anyone else's, but since his aerial movement is so ridiculous, you can air dodge attacks while moving so that it covers more area (i.e. Someone might not be able to dodge both of falcos lasers b/c the airdodge doesn't last long enough but wario can because as he air dodges, he can just use his mobility to move past the 2nd laser). Anyway, you can airdodge to grab, airdodge past him, air dodge to aerial... it is essential to master the air dodge when people play gay vs you. I'd say just practice those things.

Yes, MK vs Falco might be 70-30 if MK planks. However, the match-up is not listed as that because 1) not many MKs do it and 2) a rule would definitely be made to ban it, since it is essentially stalling. Wario vs DDD is different because there's more to it than just running away. You are right, Wario is NOT going to win matches vs DDD with a final of 10% to 12% with 3 stocks each. Wario thrives on punishing people's mistakes, and that's exactly what you have to do. When you get the lead, make DDD approach you. After that, you can punish him with grabs and bites (bite is ridiculously sexy for stopping a ddd in his tracks). The bike also allows for a quick getaway if he approaches in the air. How aggressive you want to play depends on you, but, in general, the more careful you play against him, the harder it will be for him to approach you. You can airdodge most of his crap (he will probably approach with bair in the air) and if he approaches with something else, the other aerials are very easy to punish. His pivot grab will also be a non factor, assuming you ban FD, since you can land on platforms for safety at anytime. We're not really sure about the match-up #s, it seems that it can go either way; only time will tell if it's Wario's or DDDs advantage, but because of this strategy, it's certain that it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

Top Bottom