• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vman's Yoshi (Forever) *New Videos* (CV Released)

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
Hey, vman.
Huge fan of you and your yoshi, you and Nogdorz inspired me to pick him up myself and while watching your videos I've hatched a pretty decent yoshi.
The thing is, more than I'm a fan of your Yoshi, I'm a fan of you. I'd rather see you be a successful player than see you be "that yoshi guy who does pretty well, but come on, how much do you expect of him, he plays yoshi".
Your falco is amazing. I don't see how you couldn't be successful playing falco, and as much as I'd hate to see your gdlk yoshi go, I think it's the right choice.

However, if your goal is entertainment alone, I say yoshi all the way.

Sox

Smash Journeyman
Vman, I love your yoshi. Have you played yoshi in any big tournaments against any big names (outside those of AZ)? I'd like to see how you do.

(also reread your sig like 10 times for more support! I totally agree with everything in it)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Hey, vman.
Huge fan of you and your yoshi, you and Nogdorz inspired me to pick him up myself and while watching your videos I've hatched a pretty decent yoshi.
The thing is, more than I'm a fan of your Yoshi, I'm a fan of you. I'd rather see you be a successful player than see you be "that yoshi guy who does pretty well, but come on, how much do you expect of him, he plays yoshi".
Your falco is amazing. I don't see how you couldn't be successful playing falco, and as much as I'd hate to see your gdlk yoshi go, I think it's the right choice.

However, if your goal is entertainment alone, I say yoshi all the way.
I appreciate the support... Umm.. honestly, I'm thinking of doing both... like... I want my yoshi to be able to play at a competetive level.. (hopefully prove that it can be done)... I was thinking of keeping a Falco as well.. just in case I ever get that Sheik player.. or something Yoshi can't beat).. I've confidence in yoshi... I guess my major dilemma is worrying.. that.. Playin both Yoshi/Falco will potentially take away from the other character ya know? >< even tho.. it's sure as heck gonna be a rough road to get there.. .><;.. all in all Thank you so much for your thoughts.. <3

Vman, I love your yoshi. Have you played yoshi in any big tournaments against any big names (outside those of AZ)? I'd like to see how you do.

(also reread your sig like 10 times for more support! I totally agree with everything in it)
Sadly I haven't played any big names in tournament besides.. the people in AZ... I been playing Yoshi for 5 or 6 months now... so I haven't had too many chances either.. I'm aiming for Genesis 2.. or Pound 5.. ><; hopefully....

I really appreciate the support... it's really good motivation.. and helps drive me..! ^^

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
*sigh* allrite it took a few days to get them all uploaded.. but I have all the recent videos.. I've had uploaded... please any/everyone.. please take a gander at em.. and lemme know any advice... (specially with Luigi) that's such a weird matchup.. ><' anyway here you all go... ^^ Enjoy!

Vs Rooktionary (Fox) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=damWQ7OHjdw
Vs Nicknyte (Ganon) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4lF4lWVwnQ
Vs Nicknyte (Luigi) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmwX65FKkak

Hope everyone likes... ^^

Rate/Comment/Critique/etc.. ^^

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
vman plz come to pound 5, i love watching you play and AZ LOW TIER MAINS ARE TOO GOOOOOOD

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I don't mean to be rude Vman but I don't think you can excel Yoshi as far as you want to. I'd advise you to drop him and pick up Falco.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi Yoshi

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
General match comments:
Agreed with Rubyiris about the ellipses.

Also by no means am I an expert on Yoshi (being able to shield drop through platforms is news to me.) But I really agree with a lot of what leffen is saying.
Watching you miss so many edgeguards gets painful after a while, especially against characters like Ganon or CF who have so few options in the first place, if they're coming from below they should be dead. :-/ I know dtilt isn't flashy, but it should take care of the stock so you can have a new one of theirs at lower percents for more comboooes.

I really think you can get a lot more out of jab resets too. Nair doesn't usually combo into much of anything (except for the low percents nair->grab combos which are sweet!) and it's an inferior punisher. I'd like to see a fair instead sometimes since that should be easier to combo off of (ignoring potential CCs which you could just jab reset again.) Uair is a good jab reset punisher due to potential combos. Also seeing dair on others you don't have good combo options against would be pretty hilarious.

And I'd like to see more smashes at kill percents, as a personal preference.

Overall I get the feeling that you sacrifice a lot of effectiveness for flashiness. "a lot" being the important words. Some sacrifice is ok and of course will happen, but if you want to improve, there's definitely a TON of room in those areas.

Yoshi/Falco debate
Short answer is I don't really know, but you don't have to choose.

It's funny I can pick out things in your Yoshi where you have a large opportunity to improve, but your falco is harder to see. (Maybe your falco is currently better than your Yoshi for those reasons--though its edgeguarding could also use some work too.)

I'm kinda in a similar boat as you. I've got a good Roy but I 'main' Peach. I feel a mix of loyalty to both characters. Some weeks I think I'm right on the cusp of actually being good with Peach, so if I play her just a bit longer I'll break through. Other weeks I-forget-who-mentioned-this's advice rings very loudly in my ear: "You've been playing for X years and aren't winning, you aren't going to magically start winning, so it doesn't matter who you play--play who you want."

I don't go to a lot of tournaments currently, so I get plenty of time to play both at fests. When push comes to shove and it's tournament time I usually play peach, and sometimes use roy for counterpicks. But I see so many glaring holes in his metagame that are just begging to be filled, I can't give him up completely. Maybe I will switch to a Roy main eventually.

Oh and I don't think your concern about losing skill by trying to main both is valid at all; the hard part is knowing who to pick in tournament situations.

IMO, I like watching your Yoshi more, because it's an uncommon character and I learn more about potential, but your Falco has your playstyle too so it's fun to watch as well.

I'm the king of long posts today.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
^^ thanks for the long inputs/post.. it's nice to read it all.. ya know...

@Merkuri - *cries* :(

I'll see if I can upload more... and yeah.. indeed, it is a bit tough to tell on many things.. in my game since majority of these are friendlies.. I tend to do more "flashy" maneuvers rather, than using what's most effective.. i assure you this will be different in a tourney setting.. :) It's always nice to entertain a Crowd.. :)

Thanks again everybody for the advice.. I'm always welcome to hear any thoughts.. :)
I'll be updating more Yoshi videos today most likely.. it should be the last batch I have.. :)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
If your goal is purely entertainment. I would stay yoshi. There are other great falcos out there who shock and awwe crowds all day long. no need to name em cuz we all kno who they are.

If u are simply a ssbm player who just wants to be ****in tight lol. Play falco and yoshi. To be quite honest there is nothing wrong with using yoshi vs lesser players and falco vs better players, or at least until u have reached that level yoshi that I kno ur tryna get at.

I really couldnt tell u to drop either of them. Playing competitvely with a high tier you will grow alot more as a player but often playing comp as a low tier you gain specialized super powers. The only logical answer is to play both.

I think that you should play to win first, and entertain second. They pretty much meld together when u have a flashy/technical style such as you do.

Also dont worry, we'll take good care of Rooktionary. ;)

Edit:Im telling you from experience. Trying to be flashy with m2 held me back for some time. When you play to win, all that experience really stacks up and you learn sooo much more. This is actually MORE important for being a successful low tier player. Also If I recall you arent trying to be the flashiest yoshi, ur striving to the be the undisputed yoshi king. You gotta win games. Trust me on this one, ur lucky cuz u already have tech skill so it shouldnt be a problem.

NExt time you get to play with AxE, tell him none of that hype **** u be puttin up. Tell him ur tryna get better and both of you just play to win. All that flashy **** will develop naturally, you have to consider that PPl arent just watching to see tricks and gimmicks. PPl are watching good players with mastery over their characters. Like Exarch was saying, over time, it does get a bit painful to watch to make mistakes that coulda been handled with something alot simpler. Everyone would benefit from a more "solid" version of your yoshi, and IMO its alot more entertaining to watch excellence and efficiency than a technical player just screwing around.

VA

Smash Hero
Your Yoshi is amazing. No question.

My problem is as that in terms of 'tricks' he seems kind of limited. I've been watching a lot of your matches and there are some really cool things. But axe and Taj have characters that have so many tricks that are both full of flash and utility. I actually think this has something to do with the limitations of Yoshi actually being pretty damn bad in terms of a character. He has weaknesses that Pikachu and Mewtwo do not.

I would say go to tournaments and stick as yoshi. What's so cool about axe (for me) is his success with pikachu. His pikachu can play super safe but also has so much that is unique about it. I'm not sure if that's what you want or what you aim for. But that's why I have so much respect for axe. Innovating a character is cool, getting 5th at apex with pikachu and ****** shiz is on another level!

Renth

Smash Hero
Mr. VMaYnE

I would like to MM your yoshi that being said:

So many people are upset because in your matches you're being more flashy than effective, keep in my friends they are friendlies and expecting a display of try hardary shouldn't be on demand. I still say you should just play both characters besides if people think you're a falco main and you go yoshi it'd be a fun mind game.

Winnar

Smash Lord
You have the most entertaining and amazing yoshi I have ever seen, bar none.

Your falco is at least as entertaining/amazing as your yoshi, which is pretty darn cool!

Play whoever you want, I'll be a vectorman fan either way :D

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Anyone can play Falco, but if you stopped playing Yoshi, all the world has is Mind Trick and Bloshi for the most part.

That said, if you want a significantly better chance at doing well at tournaments, play Falco.

But if you want pure entertainment, definitely stick to Yoshi. Nobody plays him like you do or as fast as you do. You could also go mostly Yoshi at tournaments and have Falco as a secondary for Sheiks and anything else you're not comfortable in.

Rubyiris, you shame your low-tier loving state.
That's why he hasn't stood out like Taj, Wobbles or Axe outside of AZ; HE DOESN'T BELIEVE!

musashi

Smash Apprentice
As someone mentioned earlier, your yoshi goes for the flasy stuff than the effective stuff.
And im sure some people gets pissed for watching you miss a simple edgeguard or things like that.
I personally think its much more entertaining to see a good match with good mindgames, spacing, edgeguard, combos than to watch a flashy match with none of the things i just mentioned.
And dont give up on Yoshi, theres a Yoshi player here in Mexico and he is really good from what i've heard.

Imperfection Squared

Smash Rookie
I'm sure you can juggle both Yoshi and Falco. Drop neither.

That being said, you'll have to alternate characters based on matchups and other factors.

I'm sure a player of your caliber will have no problem accomplishing that.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
no one really knows how to fight Yoshi so that could get you pretty far in a tournament. I anything you do with Falco will have been done before and expected. would you rather be a **** low tier character and still do pretty good competitively or just go falco and maybe do a little better without the hype? you should use them both for counterpicking and what not. I say go yoshi for as long as you can until people catch on

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion

Stevo

Smash Champion
you all are soo kind and supportive.. It means alot.. (I know I keep saying this) BUT IT REALLY DOES!.. <3
Updated OP... more matches vs Axe... finally added parrying into my game for keeps...hope you all enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDNM4Ojvyoc <---- vs Axe Falco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVbdG2cXrQM <---- vs Axe Fox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd7IbzmNb4o <---- vs Axe Pikachu

:)

SOOOO GOOD

I love it

oh and I recommend trying out the ledge attack intead of rolling up.

against people like fox, if they do end up making it back on the stage, at least you will hit them and they cant punish you. If they dont make it, it still occupies the ledge.

try it out maybe

leffen

Smash Champion
<3 vman, hopefully you made the right decision :D

I'll give you some more critique later, but this stands out:

- Edgeguard & Ledge game, you really need to work on it

- Platform game, try mxing up lightshielding, shieldropping, and repeated wavedashes on the same platform to keep it unpredictable.

- awesome parrying, I need to implement it more too. Though its pretty obvious you told axe to only use
early aerials ( I hope, he didnt use a single late dair so you could always shield before the shine... ).
Try to start using it and djcc to get around lasers too, its really awesome to parry-> waveland or usmash ;D

leffen

Smash Champion
he misses atleast half of his garaunteed edgeguards... and he IMO uses ledgehop nair horribly, he does them way too slow. Love some of his egg use though.
Though you have prob only ever seen v3ctorman's yoshi so i cant blame you.

Ill post some videos from BEAST so y'all can see what i mean.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I agree that there's probably room for improvement with his edgeguards (like 3 or 4 places where just staying on the ledge would have gotten the kill), but I don't know...

At first I was wondering why axe kept not going high to recover, but then the few times he did vman caught him with eggs/nairs

leffen

Smash Champion
Yeah, the main flaw in yoshi players imo is that they suck at edgeguarding properly.., they use too many random eggs and dont utilise djcc. Oh and most of them cant handle people who smashdi -> tech on dtilts etc ( fu nizro ).

Vs Spacies I kinda relate to how I edgeguard as falco.

You cant afford to extend the combo too long.
As they rise in percent and in height from uairs(shines/utilts etc) then can recover high from the finishing move ( nair for yoshi , bair for falco ) forcing you to predict their recovery instead of being able to react.

Instead, you have a number of choices:
Your best bet is fool their DI, make it seem like keep launching them so that they DI away, and then use a quick dsmash/nair( fsmash/bair for falco).
You can also mixups like tech chasing with fairs ( dairs ) and using other wierd mixups, like bairing into djc nair ( shine bairing etc ).

When you launch them offstage, your first move is to look for the quick side b. If can side B high, you need to make a hard read, and even then nothing you will do will outright kill him most of the time ( people dont die from falcos dair /bair at low percent either ).
If he side b's onstage ( not on platforms ) you can egg (laser) him if your fast, but while your doing this you still need to be aware that he can use sideb again p. quickly. You can also nair / fsmash / dsmash him if he choses to go onstage.
If he tries to go to sweetspot the edge, then you can dtilt/dsmash him (dsmash/ftilt / dair with falco )
Make sure you space it so they cant tech ). You can also grab the edge, pref by using an egg to cover even more options.

If they are recovering high with up B then you should egg (laser) them so they have to go lower, ofc watching out for a quick side b.
When they recover low then your best bet is to grab the edge and try to gimp em with an egg or two, but if they space it u need to do a quick ledgehop nair ( nairing so that you can barely make it onstage, ) so that you can dsmash / dtilt / grab the edge if they slope / use a high angle.

Ugh, random rant. Gonna post it anyway since I'll prob use it for a matchup guide vs spacies ( ofc clean it up by then ;D)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
<3 vman, hopefully you made the right decision :D

I'll give you some more critique later, but this stands out:

- Edgeguard & Ledge game, you really need to work on it

- Platform game, try mxing up lightshielding, shieldropping, and repeated wavedashes on the same platform to keep it unpredictable.

- awesome parrying, I need to implement it more too. Though its pretty obvious you told axe to only use
early aerials ( I hope, he didnt use a single late dair so you could always shield before the shine... ).
Try to start using it and djcc to get around lasers too, its really awesome to parry-> waveland or usmash ;D
I completely agree with your statement(s) on my Yoshi.. glad to hear your advice....

on a side note that needs to get cleared up:

I didn't tell Axe ANYTHING.. on how to attack me with this aerials.... early/late... it didn't matter.. it was all mere "anticipation" of his move(s)... not EVER in my entire career of playing smash have we tried to "set up" something related to that.. and never will because it destroys the relevance of the video.. I just anticipated his attacks is all.. :)

Axe never would let that happen... thing is.... Axe is "NATURALLY" an "aggro" player.. anyone on these forums will tell you that XD...

back to topic though.. I appreciate all the tips/tricks and support you've all given me... It means more than words can describe :)

another side note: - Trust me, I don't think there's a player that wants to play on PAL in this thread more than me... - trust me i'd absolutely love it... but sadly, I don't think i'll ever get that luxury... so Im making of what I can for NTSC.. :) Sadly we (IMO) will ALWAYS have different opinions/mindsets on things since we will always be playing our own version... ya know?

@Stevo - i'm so scared of Ledge attack, lol but I will admit it makes an LOL sound when I hit my opponent with, I almost always get a chuckle from someone.. ^^

Glad to have your support I'll do my best.. ^^

@Winnarly - you actually won't believe me maybe, but major motivation for Axe/Myself.. were actually you guys (the fans) it's a major boost in our self-esteem... n_n I appreciate it so much.. you're awesome too :)

@Leffen - on the critique and advice.. I will take most of these ideas/and try considering them.. ^^ the only one I KNOW I WON'T is the "slow my Yoshi" down/less technical stuff.. (even though you are probably right) I know the way I am, and it's not gonna happen.. I like the fast/technical way I play, and I can't see myself slowing down

@my edgeguarding - definetely an area for improvement in my game ><; i'm tryin tho ^^ it's not THAT... bad though.. :( my feelings are hurt *sniffle* but I'll keep doing my best and stuff to improve..

Axeistricky and very difficult to beat /johns.. XD lol

TunaCasserole

Smash Journeyman
^

+1

Really cool stuff Vman...it just pains me to see so many missed edgeguards :p. Keep up the good work though! I also believe you don't have to sacrifice speed to increase your yoshi's performance, so if you wanna go turbo all day, make it work :D

Edit: Whoops, that ^ was @ Leffen's post

AXE 09

Smash Master
Though its pretty obvious you told axe to only use
Ummmmmm no lol. If you think we're "faking" these matches, then I'll go ahead and make it clear that we weren't. How I play in those matches is how I play against any other opponent.

Vman, your Yoshi is the most beautiful thing I've seen in an extremely long time. I couldn't believe my eyes the first time you got a parry -> Nair on me. Wtf man. I wish I could have a Yoshi like yours :( You have no idea how much you motivate me to keep playing this game.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Stop missing such easy edgeguards.

Stop choosing to Nair at KO percents when you can easily land a better move like Fair, D-smash, or F-smash.

Your Yoshi is very pretty.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Vectorman, just looking through this thread, I think you have to be the nicest person like, ever... hahaha. Your Yoshi is inspirational, and it's players like you who keep at it despite so many character limitations that encourage me to continue playing Zelda in tourney. Keep up the awesomeness, I'll always be a fan :) By the way, you and Axe have the most utterly ridiculous Falco dittos omg haha. You guys are so good XD

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
^^ heh, well I try to be the best I can be everyone... ya know? I don't know what else I could do ^^..

<3 you all so much.. haha..

also... it's 11 minutes early but...

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Top Bottom