• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vintage Silent Spectre Combo

jugfingers

Smash Champion
ANY nba guard would get in their pockets and take their lunch money. they also are out of shape, dont have quick first steps, and dont really know how to work in a real offense. im generalizing so im only referring to like 95% of the and1 tour.

that post randomly upset me, but flashy does=fun for me and i always try to incorporate flash in a useful way, like when i think of a tactic it has to be actually useful for something. i think it looks real dumb when someone does something pointlessly flashy that makes zero sense to do in that situation.

in short u can play to win and look good at the same time, just dont TRY to look good or it will be forced and wont look good

disclaimer: im not good haha

AND1 tour=not good streetballers

and1 used to be good back in vol 1 where the whole mixtape was basically rafer alston at rucker. its just degraded into selling tickets and mixtapes to silly white kids for enormous profits.

larry williams aka the bone collector has broken every nba player that has tried to gaurd him at rucker or any other tournament. including some nba defensive award winners. he's even challenged allen iverson and kobe bryant to a 1 on 1 50-grand money matches which they both refused because they know they can't guard him. not saying that this is typical but rucker park has/ had some players that were alot better than any nba players.

I agree that trying to look good=not looking good, for the reason you stated

also to m2k, the SS>M2K in the video was a joke, just so you know.

I'd really like to see you and cactuar play SS though

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
oh Rucker Park...agreed. some of the people that play there are just goofy. goofy good.

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
haha everything jonadiper says is SO stupid

I thought he was kidding or being sarcastic at first, but then I realized he was serious. -_-

Gee El Bee

Smash Rookie
Yea so about that combo in the first post. I realized this thread kinda trailed off a bit when seeing like 20 posts on NBA and AND1 so about that...

DrewB008

Smash Lord
why dont streetballers just join the nba and make millions of dollars if theyre better

im legit wondering this, assuming you guys are correct. it just seems foolish for better basketball players to not be taking advantage of their own ability

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
(6 paragraphs of intelligent opinion... as usual)
i like how you just come in and give your 2 cents on the matter, and it's completely ignored.
while on the other hand, one of the more ignorant accounts on smash boards gets everyone talking about Kobe vs Hotsauce.

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
lol cuz people are retrteddd....i dont know, i always win my arguments, well not here, irl so i guess im used to it. its different. but what can ya dooster
Does always equal never in your world?

I suppose it does.

Close this thread please. Once more a good thread has been ruined by garbage. Thank you, Jason, for that enlightening post.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Lol. Yes. I got ***** by M2K in the Grand Finals of a tournament that I only went to because he told me that he wanted me to go and get top 2. I do pretty much anything M2K tells me to do when it comes to melee. I mean, if you really think those sets were a good example of me vs M2K, that's fine.

I'm not trying to hype myself up, I just hate it when people talk and have no idea what they are talking about. I am very blunt about these things, and I have a pretty accurate view on what my abilities are. I am not second best to M2K. There are a lot of other really good players out there, so I would never presume to tell people where I am. According to M2K, I am like top 5, but I don't think that is entirely accurate as his judgement is often skewed.

As much as I talk about how good >>> one aspect of my gameplay is <<< , I have a huge flaw in that I don't know how to combo very well, so even if my hit ratio is like 5:1 vs other top level players, a lot of them only need 1-3 first hits and they will take a stock. I also suck at edgeguarding a lot of characters, so I tend to just sit on the stage and wait for them to come up.
i could be wrong but i think this is where playing for fun/combos would help you.

You are a very good player because you learn from other players yadda yadda but all that aside, maybe if you played more for the lulz and less for the win in situations where its not a big deal if you win or lose, then maybe you'll gain experience on combo'ing and edge guarding? there are things to be learnt from not JUST PLAIN WIN'ing all the time.

Im certainly not criticizing you and you obviously are successful in what you do, just some thoughts.

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
i could be wrong but i think this is where playing for fun/combos would help you.

You are a very good player because you learn from other players yadda yadda but all that aside, maybe if you played more for the lulz and less for the win in situations where its not a big deal if you win or lose, then maybe you'll gain experience on combo'ing and edge guarding? there are things to be learnt from not JUST PLAIN WIN'ing all the time.

Im certainly not criticizing you and you obviously are successful in what you do, just some thoughts.
He sand bags in friendlies, like only using nair vs a good ganon and almost winning. Sounds fun to me, and hilarious.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
He sand bags in friendlies, like only using nair vs a good ganon and almost winning. Sounds fun to me, and hilarious.
Does always equal never in your world?

I suppose it does.

Close this thread please. Once more a good thread has been ruined by garbage. Thank you, Jason, for that enlightening post.
go play brawl son

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Sandbagging isnt the same thing though.

when you sandbag you are either not trying to win because you dont feel like it, or you are not trying to win because you dont want to embarass someone. neither of these leads to you EXPLORING the game.

sandbagging =/= playing to combo or edgeguard. I just think that if he played to experiment more it could help him based on what he's said.

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
go play brawl son
Why on EARTH would I ever play brawl? You clearly have no idea who I am since you're to busy being a scrub and looking at my join date lolz

The last time I touched that game was like 4 months ago anyways.

when you sandbag you are either not trying to win because you dont feel like it, or you are not trying to win because you dont want to embarass someone. neither of these leads to you EXPLORING the game.

sandbagging =/= playing to combo or edgeguard. I just think that if he played to experiment more it could help him based on what he's said.
Its pretty **** close, and I'm pretty sure most other good players have fun doing it when they're just ******* around, and since both are the same, and fun.....go figure.

I love how you forgot one of the main reasons why good players sandbag.

No.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
both of you can go play brawl... lol

whos this mooney guy you speak of?
does he main falcon? if not, then who cares.. unless hes beaten m2k recently..

lol im messed up.. i apologize guys, im stupid sometimes, or most of the time, but eh what can you do, youll learn to deal with me, im funny if you take things the right way

soap

Smash Hero
why dont streetballers just join the nba and make millions of dollars if theyre better

im legit wondering this, assuming you guys are correct. it just seems foolish for better basketball players to not be taking advantage of their own ability
k maybe i was exaggerating when i said any nba guard could STEAL the ball from a streetball player, but streetball players would get shut down in general in a proffesional atmosphere against any type of zone defense.

you need experience playing within a real set offense, and have to learn how to shoot for one.

i always found it ******** how they just let the best person on the team just iso every time, it felt like watching wrestling

DrewB008

Smash Lord
well i agree with you soap, i think streetball players arent even close to nba players in terms of actually playing basketball, but people started saying **** about this dude challenging nba players to money matches and **** and i thought maybe i didnt know as much as i thought.

then nobody responded to me so i guess i was right

jugfingers

Smash Champion

a lot of new yorks street players were offered contracts with various nba teams but turned them down because they were making more money on the the street hustling/selling drugs or didn't like being told how to play a game they love.

the LA Lakers actually traveled to new york to practice so they could play with Joe hammond and try and recruit him, he showed up to there practise shot basically 100% in there shooting drills, made a mockery of pat riley in a game of 1 vs 1 then turned down the 50,000$ contract they offered him. he also played against dr jay at rucker showed up at half time and dropped 40 points in the second half.

kareem abul jabar has publicly stated that the most terrifying player he has ever faced is earl manigault another new york street baller who never made it to the nba due to disagreements with coaches and eventually a terrible heroin addiction.

players today like bone collector aren't nearly as good as street players like joe hammond or manigualt, but would do well in the nba however nba scouts look for players with solid fundamentals not flashy street players who have amazing ball handling abilities but do right hand layups no matter what side of the basket there on lol. bone collector would join the league in a second if given the opportunity.

well i agree with you soap, i think streetball players arent even close to nba players in terms of actually playing basketball, but people started saying **** about this dude challenging nba players to money matches and **** and i thought maybe i didnt know as much as i thought.

then nobody responded to me so i guess i was right
bone collector did challenge allen iverson and kobe bryant to 1 vs 1 50,000 thousand dollar money matches back in 2003. and neither accepted his challenge,

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_/ai_99822268

and like I said before bone collector has humiliated alot of nba players , there's some good footage of bone wrecking jamal tinsley at rucker.

also allen iverson has shown up to rucker when bone was there, saw him playing and then left.

i like how you just come in and give your 2 cents on the matter, and it's completely ignored.
while on the other hand, one of the more ignorant accounts on smash boards gets everyone talking about Kobe vs Hotsauce.
if your talking about me, I think I was the only person who acknowledged m2ks post,

and hot sauce is a scrub.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
if your talking about me, I think I was the only person who acknowledged m2ks post,

wait... i think i was talking about jona (just to be a jerk, apearantly)
but i just used the only name i remember.
hot sauce is an awesome name. LOL

yeah i don't know anything about the situation. (or basketball)

soap

Smash Hero
a lot of new yorks street players were offered contracts with various nba teams but turned them down because they were making more money on the the street hustling/selling drugs or didn't like being told how to play a game they love.

the LA Lakers actually traveled to new york to practice so they could play with Joe hammond and try and recruit him, he showed up to there practise shot basically 100% in there shooting drills, made a mockery of pat riley in a game of 1 vs 1 then turned down the 50,000$ contract they offered him. he also played against dr jay at rucker showed up at half time and dropped 40 points in the second half.

kareem abul jabar has publicly stated that the most terrifying player he has ever faced is earl manigault another new york street baller who never made it to the nba due to disagreements with coaches and eventually a terrible heroin addiction.

players today like bone collector aren't nearly as good as street players like joe hammond or manigualt, but would do well in the nba however nba scouts look for players with solid fundamentals not flashy street players who have amazing ball handling abilities but do right hand layups no matter what side of the basket there on lol. bone collector would join the league in a second if given the opportunity.

bone collector did challenge allen iverson and kobe bryant to 1 vs 1 50,000 thousand dollar money matches back in 2003. and neither accepted his challenge,

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_/ai_99822268

and like I said before bone collector has humiliated alot of nba players , there's some good footage of bone wrecking jamal tinsley at rucker.

also allen iverson has shown up to rucker when bone was there, saw him playing and then left.

interesting stuff

i think its that alot of streetballers enjoy the spotlight they get and just personally have more fun that way.

the best streetballers prolly do have the potential to be decent players in the league but they wouldnt be anything special anymore

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
LOOL at jona calling mooney a brawl scrub.
Its only cuz I have an 08 join date on this account.

Jona should MM me for 20 bucks though, because I'm obviously the biggest brawl scrub ever.

whos this mooney guy you speak of?
does he main falcon? if not, then who cares.. unless hes beaten m2k recently..
Lol.....Somebody that doesn't know me.

I don't main falcon, but I do use him, and the last time I beat m2k was vs his falco at FAST1, I don't see where you were trying to go with that either <_<

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i like the, if you aren't beating m2k, you don't matter, philosophy.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
hahaha nice. have fun with that, ok?
don't forget to tell us all the johns he'll come up with.
(he seems like the type LOL)

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer

Actually, other people say I sandbag in friendlies constantly, but the reality of it is that I am always working on some aspect of my game, to the point where I don't really care how I'm doing, so long as I am practicing that one thing.

I am actually an extremely experimental player in the push and pull aspects of the game. My entire game revolves around me baiting and poking my opponent, and I have to constantly be finding new ways to do so or my opponent will learn me. When it comes to crunch time in tournament, I am obviously not going to experiment. I am going to use what I have already learned and can consistently do and hope that it's good enough to beat who I am playing.

I intentionally do not practice my combo game because I find combos boring. This doesn't mean I like the brawl playstyle, I just find getting first hits to be really entertaining, so I have evolved the "don't get hit" mindset to an extreme.

I am always playing for fun, not just to win, unless M2K tells me to win. I don't care about placing or beating anyone, and I've never cared about being a top level player. The game is fun to me because of how heavily it draws on my reaction speed and adaptation abilities, and I love putting both of those to the test.

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
Actually, other people say I sandbag in friendlies constantly, but the reality of it is that I am always working on some aspect of my game, to the point where I don't really care how I'm doing, so long as I am practicing that one thing.

I am actually an extremely experimental player in the push and pull aspects of the game. My entire game revolves around me baiting and poking my opponent, and I have to constantly be finding new ways to do so or my opponent will learn me. When it comes to crunch time in tournament, I am obviously not going to experiment. I am going to use what I have already learned and can consistently do and hope that it's good enough to beat who I am playing.

I intentionally do not practice my combo game because I find combos boring. This doesn't mean I like the brawl playstyle, I just find getting first hits to be really entertaining, so I have evolved the "don't get hit" mindset to an extreme.

I am always playing for fun, not just to win, unless M2K tells me to win. I don't care about placing or beating anyone, and I've never cared about being a top level player. The game is fun to me because of how heavily it draws on my reaction speed and adaptation abilities, and I love putting both of those to the test.
Charles, your yourself has said before that you never try in friendlies.

I remember reading it in one of your posts after the big tourney in GA.

Experimenting or not, its still sandbagging :p

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
its just...smart sandbagging i guess...also

id be willing to bet on a jv3 in a mm against jona

Razor

Smash Journeyman
...Oh yeah and one more thing. Don't give anyone that "I've only been playing smash for <2 years" ****, lol. That excuse might've flown 3 years ago, but you guys now are playing in one hell of a priveleged era of smash, with over half a decade of the evolution of smash's metagame right at your fingertips on youtube, and hundreds of thousands of threads here on the boards. You guys are handed smash's history, including character matchups / effective strategies / technical potential on a silver platter, and learn in a week what it took the founders years. No johns.
wow, that's probably the best way to put the history of smash in perspective. great point.

cactuar is amazing; i don't see why ppl are slurping SS so much. he's not even the best in cali. mango is way better and uses more chars. i can't see SS winning a national tourny ever. that said, I don't see darkrain winning one either. cap falcon's a hard character to use.

also, i think mango and cactuar seem like they're on the same level. even mango would admit m2k's better than him, so i want to see mango vs cactuar way more than i want to see SS vs *insert some pro*. present day mango vs cactuar has more question marks.

@m2k -there's no way that kdj's prime is as good as pc's and better than ken's. And there's no way azen's prime is the same as mango's. you must have developed some kind of stockholm syndrome where you're slurping the ppl who have dominated you in tourny. your "prime" is waaaay ahead of kdj's.

Niko45

Smash Master
And1 has gotten to be as much of a charade as the harlem globetrotters. There's no real calls or competitiveness it's just bogus manufactured highlights.

Streetball however is completely legit. I'm pretty sure Kobe came to Ruckers a few years ago and did well, but he didn't do any better than he does in the NBA or anything. Streetball has amazing athletes and REALLY good, smart players who basically draw off high school and maybe a year or two of college basketball experience. Streetball is way way different from the NBA as far as rules go. The game is WAY more physical and defense is INTENSE (And1 gives the wrong impression about defense).

The NBA rules have become so strict defensively that teams don't even play defense anymore. They're more interested in exploiting offensive niches (like 7 foot 3 point shooting europeans). Once handchecking was eliminated (and I firmly believe this was done to make Kobe look like Michael Jordan), the whole game became 2 guard oriented where as it had heavily been a big man's game in the 80s and 90s (MJ basically broke basketball, if you really look at it there's no way he was supposed to be able to do what he was doing).

The result is that the NBA is so offensively oriented that it has gotten sloppy and soft in general. I think A LOT of nba players would get **** on at Ruckers to be honest with you... They have the size, the fundamentals, and the work ethic to be in the NBA but that doesn't make them necessarily better. Besides, so much of the NBA basically IS street ballers considering they are drafted out of high school. They never learned how to run 5 man offenses in college or anything (and why would they, you're certainly not going to see that in the pros). NBA offensive schemes are so boring to watch it's a joke. You just pick and roll and win. I'd like to see Chris Paul try to get away with the **** he does at Ruckers.

The King

Smash Ace
KDJ in his prime...was the scariest son of a ***** I've ever seen play or had to play against. It was like lightning melee was the norm for him. Kdj might not have been as dominant as Ken was when Ken ruled the scene, but imo, for a short time while DJ was playing his best, he played better smash than anyone ever has.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I'd definitely say SS is the most technical Falcon, but I don't know if he could take Darkrain or Mango in a set.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Right now Darkrain is far better than SS and Isaiah doesn't play anymore so there's no need to get crazy about him, though he was the best in his time.

Some say Mango's Falcon is the best ever (which I'm pretty sure is completely false), and M2K suggests that his Falcon is 2nd only to Darkrain, which is possibly/probably true. SS is definitely the 2nd best Falcon main right now though, IMO.

I'm catching up though.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
"Or let us look at calligraphy. A man without any great skill can stretch out this line and that in the cursive style and give an appearance of boldness and distinction. The man who has mastered the principles and writes with concentration may, on the other hand, have none of the eye catching tricks; but when you take the trouble to compare the two the real thing is the real thing."

I was reading the tale of genji for school and saw that and it reminded me of this thread

Top Bottom