• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread: Now in Regular Definition!

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Didn't know these were recorded.

Vs BoT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwbCvB9DQug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEnDtiOzmKQ

Match 1 wasn't recorded. This was in March.
I know these were from some time ago, but why didn't you use the egg-lay? There were a lot of opportunities when you could have used it and it would have connected, but you neutral-aerialed or something instead.

Also, in the 2nd game, every time you did the grab-release, you did a down-tilt. I know you're saving your killing moves, but you could have done more damage if you used the up-smash when he was at earlier percentages. On the first life of the 2nd vid, you did a down-tilt at 0:29, and although you only did 7 attacks before you killed him, your up-smash wouldn't have been completely refreshed, but the percentage you finally killed him, it wouldn't have mattered. Just curious.

(Also, you dodged into the ground 3 times in the first video on your first life and he punished you for it every time and killed your first life) =)

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
POLT!!! UP TILT KILLS ALL PIKMIN ON YOU!! REMEMBER THAT!!

And I will watch the rest now

EDIT: Against Espy, when you collided in egg roll with spin dash in game 3, you can jab or dsmash directly after. Yoshi's jab is just fast and dsmash beats out all of sonic's smashes and tilts. If sonic tries to jump before the two collide, egg roll has better priority than aerial spin dash or youll just pass each other and your fine. He can shield out of spin dash and shield grab though, so i wouldn't recommend trying it too much, just as a mix up once or so.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Polt, use Nair more when coming back onto the stage. It's a good option that I never saw you use really. Rising Nair through the ledge lip always *****, imo.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Polt, use Nair more when coming back onto the stage. It's a good option that I never saw you use really. Rising Nair through the ledge lip always *****, imo.
It's good against some characters (like Olimar), but against others it's extremely risky (like Pikachu, I've been gimped by his jab a couple of times just for attempting a rising aerial :glare:).

:069:

bigman40

Smash Master
Felt like responding to these for my 5000th post.

Good job against Seibrik, Scatz. I meant it when I said you are one of the top 5 Yoshis. You have the techniques down, now you just need to play smarter.

I don't play this game consistently anymore. I just do what I enjoy doing and try different stuff regardless of the risks (of course, I wouldn't attempt such a heavy risk in tourney). I don't learn new stuff from other people (or Yoshis) other than old stuff I've forgotten to use. So, I try to use my love for techskill to learn new moves to add to my game. Saying "now you just need to play smarter" is a really open-ended thing to say that can be taken the wrong way easily.

I like when people at least give me hints and such about what I should do at certain situations that are common, but the only Yoshi that has told me that kind of stuff is Stocky and he just tells me, "Stop being an idiot and adapt."

And to rant a little, why is it that I have the techniques, but most other Yoshis don't? I'm fairly sure people have time to practice this game for at least 10 mins. I wasted part of my life training my Yoshi and helping here as much as possible (I regret some of it too). It makes no sense how a select few are actually wiling to try stuff even if they are game breaking (not going to namedrop). It makes me sad to see this kind of thing if I was a top Yoshi...

...But I'm still not a top Yoshi by any means.

I know these were from some time ago, but why didn't you use the egg-lay? There were a lot of opportunities when you could have used it and it would have connected, but you neutral-aerialed or something instead.

Also, in the 2nd game, every time you did the grab-release, you did a down-tilt. I know you're saving your killing moves, but you could have done more damage if you used the up-smash when he was at earlier percentages. On the first life of the 2nd vid, you did a down-tilt at 0:29, and although you only did 7 attacks before you killed him, your up-smash wouldn't have been completely refreshed, but the percentage you finally killed him, it wouldn't have mattered. Just curious.

(Also, you dodged into the ground 3 times in the first video on your first life and he punished you for it every time and killed your first life) =)
I have no idea of my thought patterns from such a long time ago (I have a selective mind). The only thing I can tell you is that those days were me focusing more on DR than Yoshi's moveset. I also believe this was before my first OoS.

I use D-tilt and D-smash because the damage output for them in relation to Usmash isn't that far away (namely for D-smash). I use Dtilt to prevent MK from being able to attack me from the lack of knockback at such a low percent. I remember attempting to learn a method that would give me an instant 30% on MK from release using Jabs to start it up, but I stopped using it and forgotten about it. Usmash is my priority kill move, and I intend to keep it fresh. When I want it to kill I'm normally at the threshold for Yoshi being able to efficiently kill. Any more staling and I wouldn't be able to kill them until a later percent or land a harder move such as Down-B/F-smash/U-air/etc.

Also thanks for letting me know about that part. I'll probably still end up doing it cause I'm a hypocrite.

Yoshiking

Smash Apprentice
I hope your ready i got a ****load of matches...almost 25 of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op0_LxBVYlk&feature=player_embedded#!

(4 matches)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQDiBPr2YoU&feature=related

(5 matches)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-FweOEw6lw&feature=related

(4 Matches)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWQFDJVejpw&feature=related

(5 Matches)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0EIeWxqaXU&feature=related (Final)

(4 Matches)

Notes: I'm not asking you guys to judge every match but suggestions would be nice for sure

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Sorry, I finished watching just as I had to leave for soccer. I'll give a better critique when I have more time. =/

Edit: I will say though, and this is just off of memory from my first viewing of the matches, that you have no idea how to deal with Tjolt. You SHAD'd over it WAY too often, and you were punished for it ALL THE TIME. So much free damage. You can just time a jab to get rid of them, and then slowly advance. If you just jab them away, Pika has NO frame trap on you.

And another thing, you play the MU too airborne. It's SO much easier to deal with Pika from the ground than the air. They'll typically Tjolt in the air, so all you need to do is run in as they jump and punish, sort of like you would with Mario's fireballs. Pika has pretty crap range too, so it's a lot easier to land spaced hits without trading, or grabs in general.

D

Deleted member

LOL
Polt
Your 3rd game vs espy, 3:05
Back air to upsmash to fsmash: the polt combo.

Sharky

Smash Master
I'm interested in seeing polt's games vs lain, to compare strategy, if the dropped grabs didn't play a huge role in the victory (waiting for vids to pass judgement)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I don't think my matches against Lain were recorded, actually. :(

If I remember correctly, he first 2-stocked me on Battlefield, then I 2-stocked his MK on Rainbow Cruise (ICs on Rainbow Cruise is like an auto-win for Yoshi XD), then I only 1-stocked his ICs on Smashville.

I don't think I was playing the match-up right.

...Actually, let me rephrase that. I had the right mindset for the match-up but I messed up on so many technical things. Sometimes my Egg Lay would face the wrong direction, I f-smashed instead of pivot-grabbed, I accidentally pummeled while grabbing, etc. I was pretty lucky to win despite Yoshi not responding the way I wanted him to. >.>

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
He's going through the platform then doing a DJC. Just push down then jump and dair at the right moment.

EDIT: I was browsing through vids for the marth mu, and this vid is probably the best Yoshi v. Marth match I've ever seen. It's Zudenka vs. Mr. R: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-wpVxxpB8I

I love how he uses DR and egg lay so well here :D

Yikarur

Smash Master
no that match is terrible, Mr.R doesn't know how to play Yoshi, I've beaten him in my first friendly with him too (and lost everything else xD) and he had a lot weird problems in this Match-up.

Veel

Smash Apprentice
Got bored.
The world would be a better place if you got bored more often <_<.

EDIT: I was browsing through vids for the marth mu, and this vid is probably the best Yoshi v. Marth match I've ever seen. It's Zudenka vs. Mr. R: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-wpVxxpB8I
I have to agree to Yikarur; Mr-R makes quite a few mistakes in this match: for example, Zudenka uses blatant dash attacks a bit in this match (terrible approach) and manages not to get punished for it even when he misses with it or when it connects at low percents. Imo their tournaments matches are better but preference is preference.

bigman40

Smash Master
vs. Captain L (Pikachu)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heGpPpOe0xY

This was from my mid-October tourney. I would've posted it earlier, but I was expecting more videos to be uploaded than this. >.>

:008:
First of all, you need to get your spacing better. A good deal of the punishments began from bad spacing, and normally if you're not going to space an opponent, you want to be traveling so that you can move away after your attack is done. If you end up passing Pika, then keep going as it allows you to get a better chance of not being hit by moves as bad as you took.

The amount of Bairs you were using were far too much against an agile character such as Pika. Use less Bairs, but mix in other moves to keep your spacing against him so he isn't able to rush in and ****.

Better DI. Most moves Pika has is going to send you upward with the exception of Fsmash, SS Thunder, and Nair. Getting hit by Thunder is annoying as **** when it punishes you for momentum canceling (with improper DI).

As Delta said, stay grounded more. You were far too much in the air, and you took tons of damage for that. Also, your egglays need better precision (but I'm sure it was probably an off day from the looks of it).

You played more grounded 2nd game, and it showed how much better you did. Plus, ping the Tjolts more and stop getting hit from Usmash.

Also lol @ random jab lock from side to side XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0EIeWxqaXU&feature=related (Final)

(4 Matches)

Notes: I'm not asking you guys to judge every match but suggestions would be nice for sure
I can see that you still have the Wifi feeling from your playstyle. A lot of the moves you did were fairly unsafe (though some weren't punished) such as dash attacking a decent amount into shields, Fsmashing when there's not a good chance it'll land (even worse when using it while opponent is at low percentage), and the rolling habits (which got you killed first stock). Overall, I would say you need to take another look at Yoshi and understand that you're using safe (quick or slow) moves to keep yourself from being open for attack.

I do know you play Wifi so I can see why your reaction time isn't doing very well. In my opinion, mess around in training mode sometimes rather than playing Wifi all the time to get used to execution skills and keeping your reactions up to speed.

From certain moments, I can tell when you were just slamming the C-stick or a button from I have no idea what reason, but you don't want to be panicking like that. This is mainly from the fact that you aren't used to brawl Yoshi and that you need to solidify basic execution skills and a core gameplay.

Keep asking questions here and learning and you'll get to where I'm talking about. :)

Airborne

Smash Lord

I love how he uses DR and egg lay so well here :D

I prefer this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPAQZQYA28o

This video is the perfect example with how to deal with Marth, because as you can see, Zudenka gets F*CKED UP for continually trying to challenge Mr. R hit after hit instead of attempting to reset. This MU seems "so challenging" because Marth's goal is to keep you in mid range, and then control it, when he has the mobility to do so with ease.

In your video, it shows how much Zude has progressed in attempting to master this MU, because he's shown how determined he is with this MU from the few times we've chatted with him on Skype. He had begun to actually reset after anytime he was in a situation that could've resulted in Marth blowing the whistle on the r*pe train. He also realized that Egglay outranges almost every one of Marth's moves, and that retreating makes it all the better...

Maybe my MU summary helped him. o.O

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Are there any good yoshi v wolf vids, I don't get that mu AT ALL. I almost lost to a wolf with pretty much no experience, it was terrible :urg:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I don't know much of the MU either, Nor do I think there's any good Yoshi vs Wolf videos yet. I'm not 100% certain at all, probably not even 50%.
But what I know he'll do is Bair/Fair you most the time and if you're on the other side of the stage just use B a couple of times since his shots actually break through our DJ I believe and it can reach across the stage almost.
For Yoshi i'd say if he's in the air Egg toss only one or two times, don't leave yourself open too long, and the way I usually rack up damage on wolf is Nair Bair, or Egg lay since that works quite good on him, my habit is usually proceding with a Uair but i'd suggest Egg toss unless you know he's not expect Egg lay and take two seconds to get out.

:320:

D

Deleted member

Why post a video over a year old.
Airs vid is not a great display of yoshi vs marth, thats a good display of zudenkas mixups and their effectiveness in all matchups, even ones where yoshi gets outprioritized.

Zudenka doesnt use usmash enough, which is super important in the matchup.
And Mr R doesnt abuse dancing blade like he should, its soooo freaking good against yoshi, and really abusable.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I hate dancing blade, that move is too good, every time it connects it's like a free 15%. And I have noticed I usmash a lot. DJC Wavebounced egg lay is way good IMO as well as it reaches far and puts them above you.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero

Airborne

Smash Lord
Why post a video over a year old.
Airs vid is not a great display of yoshi vs marth, thats a good display of zudenkas mixups and their effectiveness in all matchups, even ones where yoshi gets outprioritized.

Zudenka doesnt use usmash enough, which is super important in the matchup.
And Mr R doesnt abuse dancing blade like he should, its soooo freaking good against yoshi, and really abusable.
Dude, it's the best example we have right now. And you completely avoided the reasons for why I said it was our best example. Besides, he's like the only Yoshi to not actually Usmash that often. And explain how DB r*pes us, because the only thing I can really think of is that it destroys our spotdodge, and it's just an overall incredible move.

We can also shield grab and Heavy armor through Marth's DB, so we can easily place him in a bad position, or at least reset, if he fails to predict us. The only problem I really see with this idea is Shield Breaker, so I suggest that we always be ready to spotdodge or roll (LOL) due to the chance that we may get broken. Our shield also lasts longer than everyone else's, so we still have the best chance at not getting broken.

Too many "also"'s.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
D

Deleted member

I watched the first vid of ZSS, cuz i know that matchup and its less gimicky than sonic.

Pretty good firstly. You down b a lot, more than you should, especially in the air, not smart.
You dont play to your percents if you catch my drift. Hes at 150 you are at 50 and you do random stuff like down air in front of the ledge and go for spikes. I mean the ZSS was pretty bad idk how u caught him with like 100 grabs but you can mix up what you do besides just CG. Bait the down b and hit him. Also, when dudes are above u on platforms, u can uair instead of upsmash every time (especially since usmash doesnt reach, i liked how you kept trying in case it would eventually reach him :p )

You got hit by WAAAAAY too many side bs. You should be bair rushing the matchup, not running into crap. He didnt even use uptilt once, abuse that shield.

You should tilt more too but idk.
Sorry if im a little strong btw its all to help you promise you are getting solid so keep it up.
@Airborne:
It mainly destroys us because it makes marth the best character at punishing yoshis landings. Mr R doesnt punish his landings at all.

Airborne

Smash Lord
@Airborne:
It mainly destroys us because it makes marth the best character at punishing yoshis landings. Mr R doesnt punish his landings at all.
Oh, ok, that makes sense now.

you have like 6 jumps, you should avoid landing beside him =P
This is true, but it's harder to do that against the more aggressive Marths. =X

Edited because I once again forgot to put my signature Kumashun.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Pretty good firstly. You down b a lot, more than you should, especially in the air, not smart.
You dont play to your percents if you catch my drift. Hes at 150 you are at 50 and you do random stuff like down air in front of the ledge and go for spikes. I mean the ZSS was pretty bad idk how u caught him with like 100 grabs but you can mix up what you do besides just CG. Bait the down b and hit him. Also, when dudes are above u on platforms, u can uair instead of upsmash every time (especially since usmash doesnt reach, i liked how you kept trying in case it would eventually reach him :p )

You got hit by WAAAAAY too many side bs. You should be bair rushing the matchup, not running into crap. He didnt even use uptilt once, abuse that shield.

You should tilt more too but idk.
Sorry if im a little strong btw its all to help you promise you are getting solid so keep it up.
Yeah I down B alot, it's a bad habit and I do it in the air cause I see it as a faster way to get down while ZSS is still floating in the air, for the Sonic vids probably not a wise thing to do against a fast character.
I caught him most of the time cause he forgot I had a CG on him. As for mixing it up I'm guessing you mean like Dthrow and combo him with an egg or two then A Bair.
As for the Usmash ordeal sometimes pressing Y (Jump) doesn't work and I hardly use A for attacks I use the C-stick even in the air cause I see it as an Easier procedure. And for other cases when he's about to land, I tried sliding Usmash a bit, but moar of a CC guy (Sadly muscle memory is used to GC but CC gives me a better chance at Pivot grab and Egg toss options while GC gives me the DR and Egg lay options) than GC so I usually do Usmash slides alot with CC but for GC it works rarely. I should buy a new controller before this weeks tournament saturday for sure.
The current one I have is over 8 or 9 years old.

you have like 6 jumps, you should avoid landing beside him =P
7 Jumps if you DJ Air Dodge at the same time and you can get a third Double Jump.
Either way Marth is a hard MU but I almost beat Nike from good spacing and prediction yesterday (Was more focused and careful on the difficult MU's like Marth/Nike, and Santi/Tink)

:320:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Use those jumps to get to the edge and ledge camp, that's what I do sometimes :awesome:

EDIT: All you guys with your overused down b's, I need to use it MORE, I got my first ever in tournament kill with it last Saturday lol

Top Bottom