• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread: Now in Regular Definition!

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I also noticed at the end I footstooled him XD. Didn't see that as i replayed this back then so rofl, I would of recovered if Full Footstool with DJ but still was last kill

D

Deleted member 189823

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIuXFST1SUY

(vs. :kirby: )

It's one of my newer matches, from about 3 weeks ago or so.
EDIT: Need critique. I was really having it against said Kirby, with his overly defensive play of staying too grounded and constantly fishing for a grab and Kirby being a really small bait in the first place makes him harder to get at. Also don't know much about how to contest against B-Air.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIuXFST1SUY

(vs. :kirby: )

It's one of my newer matches, from about 3 weeks ago or so.
EDIT: Need critique. I was really having it against said Kirby, with his overly defensive play of staying too grounded and constantly fishing for a grab and Kirby being a really small bait in the first place makes him harder to get at. Also don't know much about how to contest against B-Air.
This texture sucks dude.

BTW I also had problems against kirby in the past,but after I started to learn how to play with kirby I also learned how to play that MU.

The MU is basically reads and good spacing for both sides,just don't get nervous and play defensively punishing kirby with eggs,pivot grabs and well spaced aerials. Jabs and Dtilt are also welcome on the MU.
If you get grabbed at very low percents (kirby has guaranted Uair after Fthrow on a lot of characters at low %s) don't be nervous and just let Kirby Uair you and run away,you can also try Nairing but it's pretty risky if Kirby reads you.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I'm in the mood for watching some matches. I'll write up my critique probably tonight or tomorrow.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Been a while since I've done this. Let's see how well I can still see habits and problems. **cracks knuckles**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjYAONE9XDQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjWjiISIIOM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Tips guys?

I think i played better game one. Not just because it was closer, but just general things I did. Idk i get nervous for some reason alot when i play. Lol even as i'm watching the video...

Also lmk if i should rather put this in the video thread

First off, calm down some when you play. I like your playstyle of aggression, but you're being extremely reckless at a decent amount of times. There were multiple moments where you were throwing attacks in places TL was doing the opposite such as you using DJ Bair after full hopping while TL just used his ledge getup option and was heading down to the ground. Your attacks have to do two things: hit the opponent and/or shutdown the area that your opponent wants to go. I could list a handful of spots where neither was applicable to what you did, but I'll only list two.

1) 1:40 - 1:47 ~ After you had your Usmash blocked, you (in a panic manner) retreated to a pivot grab after seeing TL do a FH Nair.
2) 2:52 - 3-00 ~ A whole conglomerate of moves that where not in the vicinity of where TL was going from accessing his aerial movement and previous options. First, he used his DJ and airdodged, so he had to land on the ground before doing anything, but you FH Bair'ed. The next moment (for the record, much less of an issue than the rest), you dash grabbed when TL was falling with his DJ still there and with the platform coming to give him a slight safe haven from the lack of stage control. I'm pretty sure the Fsmash was a **** up, so I'll leave that alone.

This leads me to believe that you don't know what can/cannot punish your moves and/or you don't have the reaction times needed at the moment. Yet, when I look at specific moments more times, I feel as if WiFi habits that you may have developed there is taking effect on your offline game. You need to be able to instinctively learn to access the situations as they come by so that you'll only be focused on taking in what TL is doing and focusing on what you have to do to adapt and win.

Another issue is how you're giving up stage control for no reason that I can think of. Late into the first game, you started moving away from TL after hitting him far away or in the air. You gave up the advantage of making TL have less space to work with. If you rewatch, you'll notice that TL does shutdown your stage presence whenever you get hit far away or high into the air. You have to do that to get advantage in this game; however, being overly aggressive and losing that stage control is still bad, and you showed that when TL killed your 2nd stock. Being on the ledge is already tough for a lot of characters (multi-jump characters are an exception), so why make it easier for the to get on stage cause you want to gimp or spike them?

Get rid of DBL jab > Dash grab habit.

In game 2, you played a lot more calm, which I assume was from you trying to figure out how to get in close to deal more damage. Problem was that you sort of froze while trying to figure things out and when you were trying to recover, you didn't know how to make the most of Yoshi's recovery to keep damage low. A lot of your dodges came as airdodges towards TL and never changing up your momentum. Learn everything you can about recoveries. I require every Yoshi to know how to make your recovery work as if you have no options left. Make it to where you can barely reach the ledge using anything EXCEPT your DJ or DJAD. Being able to stay unpredictable when recovering will make you a tremendously hard player to kill.

There's more that I can speak of, but I think that's enough for now. As you get more experience and start to understand what I'm talking about, we'll be able to get into the ugly parts of smash where it's actually hard for me to explain efficiently.

Will be made tomorrow.

Scatz

Smash Champion
LOOK MAN! I'VE BEEN BUSY ;; YOU NOT FAIR, HARPING ME AND ****

Last edited:

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
No problem. It just happens that I don't use Smashboards too much anymore, and the last 2 times I've popped into this thread, the last post was Scatz promising a critique within a day...several weeks/over a month ago. I couldn't resist pointing it out. :3

Scatz

Smash Champion
Alright. Major apologies for not getting this up sooner.

Thanks to Firefly for pushing me to finish it. I'm gonna go hard in the paint on thi one, so there's no holding back (especially since you're playing vs Falco).

Match 1

Nice job at the start of the match. You were aware to make sure to add in some damage so he couldn't mash out a ground release.

That's enough praising, now to beat you down. You quickly gave up free damage (and opponent frustration) by going for a Usmash on the 2nd CG. We don't have any guaranteed follow ups on Falco, so take need to take the free damage when we can since his stage control is extremely annoying for us to handle.

Keep your opponent guessing. Three pivot grabs is far too much to hope he'll fall for the trick. I always stated that if you have to do something more than twice, it most likely won't look good or work on the third try.

You panic in your shield too much. To fight Falco efficiently, we need to be out of our shield as much as possible. If you feel the need to use your shield, then just hold it up. His grabs can't kill us, and when his Dthrow becomes useless to CG into, we have a much better decision than giving him the chance to deal a bunch of damage from timing his attacks with our spotdodges.

While on the topic of Dthrow, remember that you can get rid of DACUS (to an extent) by DI-ing up instead of away when we're at high percents. Sometimes, if you want to just avoid the whole scenario, you'll just need to take the hit to get some space from his pressure.

Once again, pivot grabbing the majority of times will get you figued out quickly. Not only that, but doing it when he's still close is less in your favor. At least doing it at max range gives you less chance of getting grabbed and more chances of getting hit by a dash attack, which is much better than Dthrow CGs. You can use Jab > Pivot Grab if you need to sniff out a defensive reaction first.

It seems to me like you're trying to use full hop aerials in attempt to scoop him up into the air so that you'll have a better advantage than going toe to toe near the ground. Problem that I see in this strategy is that you don't get any serious pressure on him when doing that. When you have some ground game to work with, you use a FH Bair, and whenever it misses, you're now placed in a worse position where Falcodominates below us. There were a few moments where you could punish him by using a SH Bair, but if you make it more of a primary focus to take the ground and use FHs to create space in the event that you might end up losing the advantage you had beforehand.

One piece of advice I got some Sharky (?) was to practice jabbing illusion so that you can punish his use of it more often. When you get used to the startup animation, you'll be able to jab it on reaction on some occasions or even spotdodge then punish (granted that success varies on the chracteristics of each scenario). Also, don't be afraid to take a laser. We're gonna get hit. So for us to be constantly trying to avoid lasers in places that are far worse than being onstage will possibly end up for the worse, which you just experienced with a death by laser.

Down B! DOWN B!!! This isn't just for you alone. When Falco is like that, REMEMBER that we can use Down B to refresh our invincible frames! I'm not talking about using the Insta-Down B either (unless you B stick like Firefly). That could've won you the game after trailing the entire time! But you still won it due to Falco's impatience. Good job using DJ Uair to get the kill.

Match 2

Space your DJ recoveries. Learn to utilize as much as the stage, ledge, etc. as possible. Traditional DJ AD or DJ Aerial will not work as much when it's constantly been used over the years. In that moment, you had enough space to touch the tip of the stage to avoid getting grabbed (at least I think so). Have to keep that stuff in mind.

Here's a tip for aerial movement since you looked like a sitting duck. I might not remember it completely, but if you hold down on the C stick or Analogue stick while using your aerial, you'll instantly buffer a fast fall. This will help you from floating in the air, waiting for the army to blow you out the sky. And since I know you like using Full Hops, this will add a little more variance to your game.

Take note that a Falco that isn't respecting Yoshi's grab is just asking you to use it. The moment you had hit with the Egg, you could've used pivot grab to keep him on the defensive. With the little stage control you had, a general thought is to continue pressure since people don't know how to handle being near the edge. If you know how to keep yourself as a solid wall, you'll be able to take down greedy people that try to keep pressure in more unsafe situations.

Unfortunately, the chance to take the 2nd stock didn't have a practical chance of success. Only thing I could think that could've worked was dropping down then reverse DJ into a Bair. The goal would be to push him further under the stage or get the off chance of Bair throwing Falco into the bottom of the stage, spiking him. The problems with this is that you would've had to make your move before Falco used his upB.

Your habit: Dbl Jab when scared, dbl jab to pivot grab. Get rid of them. I've seen you use them countless times.

Learn some more variance in your recovery! I hate that I have to say this to everyone!!! Where's the wavebounce turnaround egg toss? The wavebounce turnaround egglay? The Fast Fall into either one of those? Down B to ledge tricks? You guys do NOT cover up your recovery as much as you should. We're much more flexible than just DJAD, DJ Aerial, Egg Toss, simple turnaround/wavebounce eggtoss/egglay. You can make the recovery extremely tricky and I can be vouched for my recovery from Delta when we played Dittos. The 2nd stock went because you panicked and airdodged when Falco couldn't even reach you at that point. So you ended up falling into death. You can't panic. Ya'll call me a robot, so now I'm telling you to make yourself one.

If you take the lasers, then you won't have to deal with Falco's CG > Mixup when you get grabbed. I'd rather take the lasers at low percent to get rid of the CG and at high percent because they're not gonna matter, and only a select few of scenarios will allow a laser to combo into one of his kill moves.

You panic a lot when someone is close to you and that includes scenarios when you approach them! I've seen you use dbl jabs constantly in hopes that it'll push him back. We don't want to be as close as you are. Being just outside his jab range makes it to where it's not safe for him to use lasers. So his options get reduced to dask atk, jab, Ftilt, Forward B (if he's close to the edge), or a dash grab. You have to limit his options just like how he's trying to limit our options through lasers, grabs, and jabs. If you happen to get that close, then you need to know ways to keep yourself unpredictable. Seriously, less running behind Falco to pivot grab. You could time your dash grab to get him as he's falling to the ground. The landing lag + time to spotdodge will allow you to catch him so long as you're on point. Since he's at the middle of the stage when I saw this happen, Falco will be reluctant to use his illusion. At the same time, he could try to cancel it, but canceling still has momentum, and missing the cancel has even more momentum. His attacks from the front are crap and can't hit you before you grab him. The only thing I can see MAYBE working is the reflector.

You also spotdodge panic. Stop that.

Don't forget CG! It's the sure way for us to add damage, and in a close match like this, you need to get every piece of damage you can get so that you're threatening more than Falco. Not only that, but Dthrow has set knockback (?) which can throw him off and allow you to get a kill. Jab > Down B!!! Wait... I may not have told you guys the jab mechanics since I never finished the chart, but at high percents, jab COMBOS into Down B. Anyways, Yoshi has two sets of combos (3 if you count DR): Jab combos at varying percents and CG combos. Get used to jabbing with Yoshi cause the followups he can get on people that don't SDI out of it is great for us.

Be fully aware of character's ranges. Falco got you cause you weren't expecting him to reach you, which is puzzling to me since you were air dodging on the 2nd stock (?) at a height where Falco couldn't reach you.

Match 3

Now that I've been rewatching parts multiple times, your reaction is a little slow. I don't get to see the punish when Falco messed up by using a move he didn't want. Example is in the beginning where Falco came out the egg and mistakenly (?) Fair'd the wrong way. You did no different reaction and just pivot grabbed, when you could've jumped and Aerial'd him for guaranteed damage.

13:36 - WHAT YOU AIRDODGE FOR?! This is what I'm talking about. You're more worried about getting hit and taking more damage that you forgot to just live. You already used your jump, so there should be nothing else going through your mind but living. Period.

DJ Aerial does not work if you're still close to him or behind him. You should never be trying to get behind him. Make him use his forward aerials, which are garbage. You're being far too reliant on Double Jump that it's hurting you vs Falco.

Yoshi's CG does not work on Falco when going up the hill. Falls too fast.

Don't need to be using Fsmash unless you're in a spot where he's less likely to punish. Like Falco falling near the edge, a blocked (not PS'ed) attack will push him back, making you safer. Or you can use it while you're near the ledge and use the pushback from the shield to knock you off the stage, canceling the animation. Long cooldown moves can be used when they're in the right place.

Yeah... I'm sure of it now. Everytime I've seen you run up to Falco, you've either stopped and dbl jabbed or ran behind and pivot grabbed. Almost nothing else. You need to mix it up more.

Overall, you panic in a lot of places still. Namely face-to-face with Falco and when you're at high percents. CQC is another element where we need to be proficient at with Jab mixups and other stuff. High percent panic is common so I won't harp on it, but you should know that the less scared you are of dying, then the better you'll be when clutch situations come up.

You still have a handful of habits you need to break because they're slowing you down from picking up more wins. You did good, but you made more mistakes than Falco that cost you the crucial 2nd match. Since I know you use Wiichuck, it's harder to get certain inputs out, but you're gonna have to find a way around those limitations. Brawl doesn't have a lot of technical depth, so we work on finesse. You have some finesse, but you're still missing a lot more that makes you extremely tricky to handle during matches.

Note: This is the Traditional FGC side of me talking.

You gave way too much respect to Falco while he didn't respect our grab game. It was your fault that you didn't change the grab game up to make Falco more scared to get grabbed. Lasers are **** and don't make much of a difference in what we need to do for the matchup. They're a nuisance, but our focus is **** those little pieces of **** and chew the **** outta him. Relentless pressure to keep him from taking stage control, but enough space to keep us in the commanding position (Dash attack spacing).

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Thanks :3 btw at the beginning when I went for the upsmash out of the gr I knew it wasn't guaranteed but Keitaro literally always spams spot dodge out of it so I wanted to get a heavier punish but I messed up the timing lol. Also at the end of game 2 when I lost it wasn't that I didn't know the range of his move, I just didn't do my Uair quick enough. I remember in the match when he put himself above me with a bair I thought "it's over" and I went for the Uair but his second bair hit me somehow lol. I must have spaced out out for a split second or something but I was really upset when his bair hit me instead because I really did think I won. In the video you could see half the animation coming out </3 anyway I was really upset at that point and played even worse the next match. I appreciate all the advice, I've always thought my biggest problem is panicking and it happens a lot more in mu's I absolutely hate like Falco. I'm hoping this will help at SKTAR

Scatz

Smash Champion
I know you tried to U-air before getting hit, but I was referring to your egg toss to try and get back above the stage when he can reach a very high altitude. That part is where I referred to; your recovering ability is lacking, and that's when you tend to use more simpler options which make you more predictable. When you have some knowledge in how to make Yoshi's recovery work in even the toughest situations (particularly without having a DJ), you'll become considerably better in taking less damage and living longer because you'll make it harder for opponents to hit you back.

D

Deleted member 189823

Look who's back. Everybody's favorite ex non-Yoshi Yoshi main. :awesome:

And with stuff:

stuff

Tips? :L

Scatz

Smash Champion
Disclaimer, I made a TL;DR for those that don't want to read the novel on The Death Of MX. This post is not for the fainthearted. This is my longest critique to date; coming up to just over 5,200 words. Let that sink in for a bit.

Set 1 (Lucas): Match 1

WHY DO YOU NOT KNOW YOUR CG RELEASE COMBOS?! I'll give the benefit of the doubt that you don't have the acquired skill to do GR DR Combos, but from what I remember, we were able to U-smash him from Grab Release. You at least used Dash Attack to add a little more damage, but don't give up the opportunity to land U-smash for damage at low percents, especially when we're able to make it fresh again.

You also panic when someone is too close to you. Only difference is you have a tendency to use F-smash and Down-B, which are even worse choices than what Raptor does (dbl Jabs). You need to calm down when you get in your shield and pay attention to what Lucas is trying to do. We can't get shield poked, so there's no reason to flip out.

Don't B-reverse when you don't have a reason to. You ate that PK fire because you pretty much just threw the move out without paying attention to Lucas's position and movements. He didn't have any intention of going to you when you were coming down, so you had no reason to B-reverse your Egg Lay.

You're being overly careless when over the edge. While I give F-air > N-air its props for tricking people, F-air is TERRIBLE in priority. The range was nerfed, and that doesn't make this move valuable to throw out without some cushion of safety.

Combine the carelessness over the ledge with the predictable Air Dodge, and you get killed. Just like I told Raptor, that death was avoidable had you known how to manipulate Yoshi's recovery without an up-B. If you know what to do, you can definitely create tougher scenarios where your opponent will have trouble actually killing you.

I don't remember whether you use C-stick or the A button for you moves, but your pivot grabs were slow on your 2nd stock. Using the C-stick shaves off some time and eliminates the sliding if done right. Just note that you need to use whatever means necessary to make moves work as fast as possible when you need it on command.

I don't get the reason behind using Zudenka's Egg Lay combo tactic when yours isn’t fleshed out enough to catch your opponent properly or keep your in a safe(r) position. Our of the times I've seen you use it, you've gotten punished for missing the second one, which alerts to me that you need to stop until you understand when and where to apply it (more so when). I actually have a few theories on how to implement it with more safety, but I'd need to test it out in training mode myself.

On topic of Egg Lay, understand that you don't need to be chasing with it like you were against Lucas. Egg Lay still is primarily in need of a defensive stance. When you're using momentum to charge into Lucas, you're committing yourself. It's definitely one of the harder, if not hardest, techniques to get down properly, but when you have the spacing down, you'll definitely see that keeping yourself from having excess momentum is much more beneficial.

Also, to clarify Egg Lay as a technique, I include DJC EL, FF EL, Turn Around (TA) EL, B-Reverse (BR) EL, and Wavebounce (WB) EL. All those and it's sub components create Egg Lay as a technique.

No one decided to do this, but I'm going to tell you your fault before you end up seeing it in tourney. You wait too long before DJ-ing back up to grab the ledge. You're placing yourself at a big risk of being gimped because you have no other way of getting on top of the stage if your opponent was to grab the ledge before you do could do anything about it. This might be a different story had you not used any up-Bs, but there's a ton of other scenarios stemming from that that you don't want to even get into. If you're already close to the ledge that an up-B can get there, then use it. There's no downside to using up-B to grab the ledge unless your opponent is in a close enough position to attack while Yoshi is stuck in animation. Don't exhaust options when you're not being forced to. When you eliminate your own option, then you're making your opponent's job easier.

Match 2

I had practically no complaints about your opening play... Until you decided that you were going to throw out every single kill move needed to get rid of Lucas's first stock. You should NEVER have to do this unless you're coming from behind. Players naturally get more predictable because of the fear of being behind (less of an extent when you get into higher level play). You just need to play consistently and wait until you see the opening to kill Lucas. This, ironically, comes back around to you not knowing that Grab Release U-smash is easily most viable to kill Lucas. Lucas HAS to respect our grab or else we'll just tear him to pieces every time.

Your recovery from the ledge needs work. DJ Airdodge, and DJ Aerial are not the only methods to getting on stage, especially when you're trying to past your opponent when he's already in a position to punish that option. The natural tendency Yoshi players had back then was to DJ Airdodge and try to get past our opponent, but they've moved back far enough to eliminate this option. We can definitely play around with the little bit of the stage they've given us, and even use the acceleration to make it seem like we're committed to getting past them. Another option that most don't use is using ledge jump & DJ to get high above the stage and manage from there (only viable when under 100%). It's not the most ideal since we lose our jump, but being able to use Egg Lay mechanics to help land makes it better than flying into our opponent.

On that note, if you know how to buffer a jump (it acts like a DJ) after the ledge jump correctly, you'd be able to keep your DJ in the air. That would solve that problem.

I honestly think that when you have an opponent, at low percent, on BF's platform above you, it's better to use U-smash since it leaves them in nearly the same situation as before, but with a chance to get out. When you U-air, you lost that advantage that you gained from dodging Lucas's Up-B.

Your recovery is starting to get predictable. You go for the stage more often than the ledge, and when you go for the stage, you also tend to go for attacking your opponent. Both makes you easy to be countered, and you take unnecessary damage. Don't deviate from being unpredictable. It's the crucial element needed to be a high/top level player. If the situation is not in your favor, then don't try to force it, unless you know... You've suddenly become a leading anime character in a DBZ fight.

Btw, my point is proven when you die on your first stock and most of your second stock.

What's with the SH F-air's? Like I said before, they're not good to throw out like that at all. It was fine when you had hit the back of your opponent's shield because it would be harder for some characters to actually punish it properly (ROB comes to mind), but you often used it and landed in front of your opponent, which leaves you extremely vulnerable to more moves and to being shield grabbed. Even then, so long as your opponent knows what to use to beat it, the priority on F-air will lose most of the time. It's not safe to use overall with the inherent disadvantages it picked up while transgressing over from Melee to Brawl.

Once again, you get extremely predictable when trying to get a kill, and it shows more so when you're losing. You have no reason to play as if you have only 10 secs to kill him. This IS brawl, and if you need to, wait for however long you need before making the correct move to get a sufficient kill without taking a lot of damage.

Lrn2shield. While everyone else is like, "NEVER USE YOUR SHIELD! IT SUCKS!!!!," we HAVE to use it when we don't have a choice to get away or stop an oncoming attack. It's not the end of the world when using your shield, you just have to be smart about using it. Like I've said a few times beforehand, we can cancel the drop animation of our shield by spotdodging. This can definitely help us since most players think we're near helpless and will try to attack almost relentlessly. Start thinking out the box on how to make shield more useful in the few scenarios where we have no choice but to use it.

K. I like that you're using Jab to try and lead into kills, but do more than just that. D-smash, Down-B, Tilts, Jab 2, etc. are all options that work on most characters depending on the percentage. Using U-smash alone make you predictable and won't have any effect on a player when you do need Jab to lead into a kill move.

Bad down-B is bad. What was it for? @10:30 Even if you were trying to hit him, you did the move far too late for it to even matter. Plus, you landed on a flat surface, which led to Lucas punishing you. Use your power moves in places that has some cushion for safety. I understand using it dangerously every now and then, but doing it recklessly is something that I was not stand for.

Match 3

Okay, despite doing a very good job on Lucas's first stock, you suddenly turned into one of those wi-fi, C-stick & B button mashing kids thinks they're playing against 3 other people. I know that your egglay going off the stage was a tech error, but can you explain the U-smash, The B-air that was excruciatingly aggressive, and the two B-airs that were thrown out for no reason? You use a move with reason. Throwing it out with no thought put behind it does not help you in any way, and it certainly does not help you when you're not even remotely close to your opponent.

Or rather, you may have repeatable habits that I'm starting to catch onto now. SH B-airs into pivot grab or U-tilt, N-air into dbl Jabs, etc. I've seen you use that much more than a few times...

Upon paying more attention, your reaction times are slow. You don't adjust to what your opponent does when it's within a certain amount of time before you're to use your next move. An example is at 15:23 - 15:29. You used FH Bair, and during the ending animation, Lucas was already moving away from you. Instead of chasing him / retreating from him, you FF'd a N-air in the place he WAS at. That's enough time to see when you opponent makes a small change and for you to alter what you were about to do. Reaction times are extremely important in ANY fighting game, and this is no exception. When you get into higher level play, these small windows become even bigger because your opponents will have a faster reaction time to punish those types of mistakes. You need to get that if you want to hit that next level.

Coming back to your aggression, you show how reckless you were in the second stock. You were constantly trying to force pressure when you have no momentum to even apply it correctly, which blew up in your face every time you got anything going (or attempted to). You were making Lucas's job easy with that recklessness. Combine that with the slow reaction time (the U-air at 15:43) and with the shield spot dodge (or lack of using shield when needed to) habit, you blew almost a 100% lead that you picked up on Lucas from the beginning of the match. You don't need to be aggressive all the time. It's not efficient to play one way. You have to be able to slow yourself down when you're losing and think about your situation and what you need to do when to fix it. Brawl is tons slower than anything else I've ever played, and being able to think in Brawl is tons easier than it is trying to slow yourself down and think in other games (Marvel, Melee, and FPS Games).

Notice how you slowed down to somewhat prevent yourself from becoming reckless like that second stock? That needs to happen quicker. You stopped trying to rush right into Lucas's face, and just slowly (putting that mildly) closed the space between you two so that you could punish efficiently. You can't ride on momentum if you don't have any to begin with. If you don't have stage control then why force yourself into what's most likely a trap? Remember that this game is still based on defensive tactics, so you have to play both sides of the game. Work your way to getting aggression, but make sure that your defense is still up to par since aggression is much harder to keep with the air dodge mechanics.

Set 2: Match 1

Tech errors man. You have to get rid of the majority of them when bringing it to a tournament. That DJC Egg Lay nearly killed you, but you were lucky enough to not have MK close enough to get the ledge. You know as much as everyone else that those kind of errors in high level play are unacceptable. It's fine to make some where the worst outcome is a little damage, but when it's a lot of damage or potentially a stock on the line, then don't take the chance unless you're confident.

Once again, you're overly reckless with the F-air. F-air does not have any godly priority. Normally, it's ok to use it in a situation like Raptor does, but you throw it out to land, throw it out like Raptor's method, and throw it out to recover. Two out of 3 of those scenarios are terrible to do and will get you punished hard, then we're talking about MK, and he can punish all 3 of those options because of his sword. In most of those situations, I could see a better MK running up and UpBing your F-air without a second thought.

I have to pull out these issues even if you can't see them because the MK doesn't know how to punish as efficiently as I've seen it done here in GA. When you started egg tossing on MK's second stock, he was already close enough to you to make a simple punish that would cost you your stock. Egg toss (the first toss) pops us up too high to be considered safe when a character is close enough to punish before the egg comes out. MK had the range to just use D-smash to kill you without giving you a chance to throw the egg. If you're going to do something like that, let yourself drop down a little before throwing it, or better yet, don't throw one at all if they're close. It's too dangerous when you factor in the ground speed and range MK has.

And 3:05 is where I will continue to harp on your recklessness and random love for using F-air in instances where it's not applicable. You have no advantage for throwing a F-air out when you needed to get back on the stage and, most of all, continue to live to gain a bigger lead. What would have happened had you actually landed F-air? He would've barely moved because he's sitting under 20%... This means that his pressure would still be on you, and you (in retrospect) gave him the opportunity to let him kill you. Same thing can be said at 3:32. MK grabbed you and only needed to U-throw. A lot of your mistakes going unpunished comes from a MK player that does not understand his punishes as effectively and playing against Yoshi. Higher level players might not have experience playing against a Yoshi, but they know when they can kill/punish on most scenarios. That's one of the biggest differences between the level of play.

It wasn't until at 3:50 where your own mistake on technicality caused you to die. If you were to go in and re-watch your match vs this MK, I'd guarantee that you'd be counting how many times you should've been punished for your mistakes.

Your obsession with F-smash also makes me wonder a lot. You try to force F-air and F-smash into your game that it looks extremely uncharacteristic and a desperate attempt to keep momentum.

Two more mistakes made that killed your lead. First, you down-B'd onto the stage. This should never be an option except for one, possibly two options. 1) You use it to land on the ledge. This one everybody knows why, and 2) You use it to land on the ground with an opponent up higher than normal with platforms in the way. That can give you some time is their fall speed isn't fast enough to get to you before our cooldown is done. It's not a common thing because most character's fall speed is fast enough to catch us, and/or they're close enough to the ground to where they won't have to fall down far to catch us.

The second mistake was your habit of spotdodging when MK is unconditionally close to you (and failure to DI). Think about the position you're at in relation to the scenario. MK is on your back, and you landed on the moving platform at killing percent near a death boundary. His kill options are D-smash, F-smash, Up-B, and B-throw in this situation. B-throw would be the most bland choice considering that your shield is already up, and grabs go through shields. Normally, that throw wouldn't kill because the DI can change the trajectory too much. So, the first option is to hold up in case he grabs us. Next, let's say he were to use other moves. He'd need to get us to unshield to have the chance to land one, whether it's through a spotdodge, a forced unshield due to it being ready to pop, or a roll. Just thinking from the position like this lets you know that you still have a chance to get out of the situation without guaranteeing him a kill. This kind of stuff is what I was talking with you and others over the years. Our experience in the situations we find builds our quick reactions and adaptations in matches. When you're comfortable handling situations, you don't hesitate to find the right answer anymore; instead, you're more focused and quicker to know what you need to do to flip the situation into your own hands. Yes, it's frustrating at first to get this type of skill down, but it's a needed skill that establishes a player's ability to perform in heated moments.

Match 2

I'll keep pointing this out until you understand how pissed off I was at seeing you do this kind of recklessness. 7:45 - 7:50, you DJ then just FF a F-air into a MK that's waiting on your move! Granted, he spazzed out and decided to dream about playing in Kirby's Return to Dreamland, you unnecessarily placed yourself in a stupid situation where your outcome should be a lose-lose situation against a MK that just properly shielded you attack. That's the kind of stuff I get annoyed about. Don't create your own problems intentionally. It's never a good way of playing because then you're constantly working to catch up against stronger players. I'm not harping on mistakes entirely because I know that you guys are still human. Minimizing the amount of mistakes that you make is key to becoming a beret player. It's less chances to let your opponent get the upperhand on you.

I think your reaction speed is low from not having played a game that requires much faster response than Brawl. My reactions and speed came from playing Melee (and sometimes Halo or CoD) and it transferred over to Brawl when I needed to respond to a situation quickly. I think that may benefit you in the long run when trying to reach for the top. If I recall, I kinda noticed your reactions where a little slow when we played back at Apex.

I know I mentioned that we were able to go under the stage, but was it really necessary? You lost the little amount of stage control you had in exchange for being stuck on the ledge with MK breathing down on you. Don't get me wrong, it's a tactic that hasn't found its proper place yet, but it's not one to use without the proper conditions to allow us to come out with a better situation than not doing it at all.

While on topic of doing that, you were also not keeping track on how many tosses you did (spent two going under the stage). Always, ALWAYS keep track of your recovery options. If anything else is forgotten, the knowledge on how many recovery options you have must stay intact at all times. Knowing what you can and can't do during that moment will help decide on what you will attempt to do to refresh your recovery options. Exhausting them makes the problem become much more intense and harder for you to continue living with said stock. You could've down-B'd the ledge to try and slow down the pace for a second or go for more tricky options such as egg laying MK. By this, I mean using a wavebounced egg lay near the ground to continue facing MK, but the momentum would be going towards the ledge. The point would be to have some amount of defensive cover while trying to refresh your double jump and egg toss hops. If the momentum would've pushed you off the ledge, you'd still be ok, cause you now have your options back provided that it was done correctly. Another option is going for the platforms just to refresh the recovery options trading off for a hit. It's not ideal, but another option.

That's where I've been telling you and other Yoshi's to watch your matches over and over again until you turn blue in the face. You'll start to see more options when you understand more techniques and when you decide to be experimental. It's cool to be picture perfect on what we already know, but when you start thinking outside the box, you begin to see more options that may not be staple ones, but enough to cause hesitation in your opponent.

At low percents, U-smash is not safe ON HIT. That's right. IT'S NOT SAFE ON HIT GUYS!!! I'll let your brain start thinking of other options to do when met with a similar or exact scenario again.

Don't always give people stage control that you worked for. What I mean by stage control is that when your character is pushing your opponent towards the ledge, they have less of the stage to work with, which makes some people buckle under pressure and make a mistake. It's one of the basics in advantages/disadvantages. Running away from MK when he's in the air with little space to work with on the ground gives him an even footing and puts the match back to a neutral stance(maybe). Everyone knows that having an advantage gives you more to work with and less to focus on when trying to get the opponent to make a mistake. If something becomes too dangerous, then retreating ISN'T a completely bad option because you only give up your advantage to start again at neutral position. If you were too aggressive, you can easily turn your advantage into a disadvantage, but being safe doesn't hurt you in most cases (depending on the opponent for us). A prime example is on both of your guys' last stock. You wanted to kill him so badly that you tried to go for a U-air off the stage while he was recovering. In return, you gave up stage control, a natural advantage, and gained a disadvantage, and now got juggled from one ledge to another and then got killed. Your aggression got you from an advantage to a disadvantage and then got you killed.

Match 3

Just a matchup tip for you and other Yoshi's. MK can up-B us out of Down-B when we're trying to abuse the slide canceling mechanic.

Set 3: Match 1

So much happened in that first stock that I've already told you previously that I have to reiterate it so that you fully understand and see where those mistakes costed you. Your first stock went away because you panicked when he got close to you (spotdodging), you exhausted a little of your recovery options when throwing that egg, and you did a DJ F-air while recovering. Your habit (and Raptor's) of spotdodging when someone is close to you when you're not expecting it makes you more vulnerable than before. Coupled with Yoshi's more unutterable defensive options and you're going to get punished more times than wanted. If we were to rewind time to the moment you were tossed offstage, I'd tell you that if you were to keep your first egg toss, you'd probably live. The 2nd hop is just enough to grab the ledge when someone is edgeguarding, but that's still something you shouldn't take a chance on. You didn't need to F-air or Egg toss because he was sitting on the platform. That's most likely just enough time to DJ Airdodge and land back on stage before having to fight up close again.

Your sense of spacing also is off, and it shows when you're fighting ROB on your second stock. That B-air had no type of spacing other than hoping to shield poke, and that's not going to make you harder to hit. If it seems like your attack won't get behind him or just flat out hit him, then you need to change Yoshi's momentum so that the tip of your attack can hit. Even though it's not ideal against ROB (B-air wise) as a matchup decision, it's more worth it on a whole scale.

I didn't feel like going into your Fox matches because I think I've went through almost everything I needed to say in this report. So, time to wrap it up.

Overall, you did a good job applying pressure when you were doing it right, but your pressure was also forced and reckless many times you attempted to take back momentum or stage control. You can't force options to come from something that's not even in your favor. You end up creating a landslide of problems when doing that. You have to work your way out of the hole and then take the neutral game into your advantage by making your opponent mess up. There's no skipping this stuff. I can understand trying to play offensively, but offense does not apply everywhere in anything. There's always a balance of offense and defense, even when a game like Brawl feels like the majority of the play is defense, you still need a balance to play efficiently. This goes in hand with your recovery. Your recovery lacked because you were far too focused on playing offense. If you're on the ropes, then you need to get to a more suitable place then start your offense again. Yoshi isn't made to have fun out in the abyss like other floaties or multi-jump characters, because he has to commit to those moves and then commit even more to recovery options.

You need to make sure you understand everything that's guaranteed for us whether we meet those characters or not in tourney. Knowing that you could U-smash Lucas would've helped you end that match much faster than what was shown and would've saved you time spent focusing on an opponent. As I said beforehand, your techskill needs to be cleaner than what we all saw or at least minimize the severity of those mistakes by not flying off the map... I didn't talk about DR once because you're still a novice at using it. Granted that you're much farther than most on it, but whenever you use it, it's looks broken apart from your normal playstyle. Plus, you typically used it the way I used to back in 2009, which was running up and DRing back to try and make your opponent spaz out. I like that you use it, but try to keep it out of tournaments until you can get a better handle on the type of matchups it's used for and how it changes Yoshi's ground style.

I will let you know this though before moving on. If you get DR down, then you'll be able to DR out of a grab release to punish a few more characters. I can't remember them all right now, but you would've been able to do this on Lucas:

GR > DR F-smash/D-smash/D-tilt/F-tilt/Down-B(?)

On MK, you'd be able to do this:

GR > DR D-smash/F-tilt/D-tilt/Jab/Down-B(?)

I've gotten a combo at low percents to get rid of just CGing to the end or U-smashing and getting punished for it:

GR > DR Jabs > Dash Grab > GR > DR D-smash/D-tilt

Together, that's about 30-50% of damage on MK at low percent when CGing from one side of the stage to the other. Movement wise, I'll let you figure that out.

Your habits are still getting the better of you whenever you're at a killing percent or when an opponent is too close to you for your liking. It's the same thing that Raptor has problems with, and knowing how to manage your recovery will make you get rid of the angst that you get when you're on death's row. You'll be able to make trickier recoveries that will exhaust other options before your DJ, and even then, your opponent would need to play the part really well to make you exhaust almost all your options. You need to recover with the lowest amount of damage taken possible, and if you get hit, get hit with a weak move so that you can live longer. As far as spotdodging up close, you'll just have to learn playing with a shield that's slow. There's ways to use it, but you have to be used to knowing when to come out of it or not using it at all and getting those Jabs in. Like I always say, Jab first then ask questions later.

But either way, play some faster games to get some better reaction times. It'll help you out when coming back to Brawl or if Smash 4 is slow. Good job on getting 17th.

Edit: I'm pretty exhausted writing out this, so critiques are probably going to wait for a little while from me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Scatz is so dedicated to us. I feel lucky to be a Yoshi main, at heart.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I forgot how good of a read Scatz makes this thread.
I try to make it so that people other than the player I'm critiquing actually learns. Instead of explaining what someone should do using "if this, then do that" methods, I feel as if it's best to go into depth to explain why they messed up (or would've), how it places them in a bad situation, and/or how we handle those situations.

Btw, now that I'm feeling a little better. I'll get to more videos that are posted after this post. I don't like to chase down videos, so make sure you post it here and bug me if I forget. XD

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Scatz took the helm for wall of texts to help Yoshi's that want the help since Shiri is no longer with us, or even just smaller wall of texts like most of us use to do in the old days.

Top Bottom