• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread: Now in Regular Definition!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Explain? Do you mean on why he does it?
Since Firefly seems to possibly have the same idea as me, Yoshi is of course a bit floaty and takes awhile to land so sometimes if I'm offscreen (where not even bubble is showing) I'd DownB to either hit them with the move or just with the stars in general.

Sometimes just to mix it up I also do it randomly to land quicker and have them run towards me thinking they can punish me for using DownB only to get hit by the stars instead and pushed back a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeOAFrFi-AQ&feature=plcp#t=28s

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I love your offensive strings. o.o

=3

Against Marth, you need to be less jumpy. Jumping against Marth takes away a lot of our safety. Really, all he needs to do is swing his sword at us when we jump and we're trapped into either taking the hit, airdodging and then getting punished, or retreating. I think you were looking for a read or something to end his stock though, so it's understandable. Especially since I didn't notice this during the bulk of his stock.

Yeah, that was what I was going for. I tend to do a lot of empty shorthops to try and bait people into punishing my jump, and go from there. It doesn't always work too well though. :x

I see you trying to Egg > Grab Gimp Ike. =P

Yeah. Needs work.

If Ike ever reverse Aethers to the ledge, I'm pretty sure it's safe to go straight for the grab. So, if you ever see Ike moving under the stage before recovering, he's most likely going to reverse aether, so forget the eggs. You missed a chance to grab him during his first stock.

Yeah. The thing is though, on stages like SV and BF that have that large slant at the ledge, and Ike can use that to poke people from underneath with Aether from a stupid range. I'll keep that in mind though.

I love how everyone freaks out over Egg Lay Fake still.

Yeah, that one in particular was kind of hilarious.

OBVIOUSLY YOU DIDN'T LEARN ANYTHING ABOUT DK SHENANIGANS BY PLAYING WILL. COME ON BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The worst part is, I DID know exactly what he was going for, and I was actually trying to punish it. I just missed my punishment. =/ If you watch closely, you can see me trying to Bair the spot he was going to land on, but the first hit whiffed, allowing him to land the Dsmash. I was really salty about that one. >.> Notice how my chair is already vacant when the player cam is brought back up. lmao

Only your last stock loss was dumb by the way. First was a tough situation and the second was wtf Ike.

I should have airdodged the Uair that took my first stock. I've been missing a lot of my airdodges recently because I've been getting better at powershielding with other characters, so my muscle memory has been taught now to press R at the exact moment an attack will hit me. It's really annoying. >.>

The second stock was silly, but I'm familiar with the range on Ike's Ftilt. I just wasn't used to having to deal with it close to the ledge like that, but I was really annoyed by it at the time because I really wanted the 2 stock. :x

I think you wait too long for your Fsmash reads on landing. You got a lot of them shielded because you took too long.

Yup. I've had this problem for a long time. I'm really bad at landing smashes. >.>

You should explain how you use Down B to land by the way. Your use of it is interesting. Unless they're all input errors. >_<

They're not input errors. When we're landing, we only really have a few good options: Egg Lay, airdodge, or an aerial (usually Nair or Bair, neither of which is THAT good at covering landings). We can also do stuff like wavebouncing an Egg Lay, but that's no good coming back from the ledge because it just puts us right back where we started. So I've taken to using Down B as a mixup, especially when coming back from the ledge. All of our other options ultimately have us landing at the same place at the same time, making it simple to punish as long as they anticipate the right option. The Down B is obviously a really unusual thing to do, and nobody is going to anticipate it the first time. The stars are usually enough to catch people that are trying to go in for some kind of punish (didn't work when I tried it this time though; he was just far away enough that the stars didn't poke him, and he timed the dash very well to punish) I try to space the Down B so it's high enough to avoid any grounded punishes they might try on reaction, but close enough to minimize the time they have to react to it. It's silly as hell, but it sets up for some silly stuff it the stars hit (ask MX about the time I used it against him in our wifi Yoshi/Fox match :awesome:), and more importantly, it makes it more awkward for the opponent to guess what we're going to do when returning from the ledge, which is definitely a good thing.
Responses in Orange.

And to add on to what Slush is saying, DownB from the air can be handy if the opponent overcommits to trying to juggle you. Shouldn't happen too often against good players, but it's a good thing to watch for.

:005:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
By the way, I hate it when people reply WITHIN THE BODY OF THE QUOTE BECAUSE I CAN'T QUOTE THEM. YOU'RE SO CANADIAN.

Ahem.

Thanks for the Down B explanations Slush/Jake. I will consider this option more in the future.

For the Egg > Grab Gimp on Ike, I think you need to just time the egg better. Try to throw it when he's starting aether. I know it's hard to time, so I'm just trying to suggest a time to start the toss. Throw it too early and it blows up above him. :x

Shoulda Usmashed him through the platform. :x

I should have airdodged the Uair that took my first stock. I've been missing a lot of my airdodges recently because I've been getting better at powershielding with other characters, so my muscle memory has been taught now to press R at the exact moment an attack will hit me. It's really annoying. >.>
You probably shoulda Air Dodged the Fair, now that I'm rewatching the video. =/

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
I actually like that down b after jumping off the ledge. Could be a good bait if your opponent isn't close. I love baits so ill probably end up using this some time.

:phone:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
People forget about the tiny amount of knock-back from the stars. It's kind of like punishing Toon Link's dair if he lands near you...

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
By the way, I hate it when people reply WITHIN THE BODY OF THE QUOTE BECAUSE I CAN'T QUOTE THEM. YOU'RE SO CANADIAN.

Well excuuuuuse me. That's just too damn bad.

I'll never forgive you if you don't respond to this.

Ahem.

Thanks for the Down B explanations Slush/Jake. I will consider this option more in the future.
No problem. Make some people mad!

For the Egg > Grab Gimp on Ike, I think you need to just time the egg better. Try to throw it when he's starting aether. I know it's hard to time, so I'm just trying to suggest a time to start the toss. Throw it too early and it blows up above him. :x
Alright, I'll try that...if I ever play that MU again. My pocket Ike is the only Ike in existence around here. If only I could practice against myself...

Shoulda Usmashed him through the platform. :x
But I wanted to Bair him. ;-;

You probably shoulda Air Dodged the Fair, now that I'm rewatching the video. =/
Yeah, I should've. Like I said, it wasn't a one time thing, and I really need to find a way to break that habit. >.>

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Scatz's decree is that the matter of Firefly's attempted Bair is LOL.

Let no man dissent.

Also, I'm thinking about finally giving this thread a facelift. It'll be like a rich country singer who's afraid to get old.

What are some of your thoughts on structure?

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Hoping you guys could help me out since I'm absolutely sick of Marth. I cant stand playing the character and I feel like im getting worst at the mu since now I play really nervous and scared against him. I watched the vid myself and noticed I wasnt doing nearly as well as I used to (even though i wasnt that good in the mu to begin with) So yeah critique game 1 and 3 please. Not game 2 cause I went IC's since I got upset. Mostly because he switched to Marth since he does it all the time now that I can beat his DK.
Anyway heres the vid o.o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRzgyJroCfg

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Hey, sounds like me with Marth. Except rather than being nervous or scared, it's more of being annoyed that he just throws his sword out and shuts us down unless we throw eggs and chain hits from there. Anyways, gonna watch video.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Updated.

Everyone should start considering "hall of fame" videos to direct guests towards. This is more to show visitors Yoshi's viability and current top-level gameplay than it is to pick the best Yoshi.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Hope it's still Ok to ask for critique here. It'd be really good if I could get some critique soon as I have a tournament tomorrow, not trying to be pushy though >.>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3E6slKlQQ4
One of my first attempts at playing defensive instead of aggressive/all out like I usually would.

And if it's Ok, this one too please: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NkIkLh1uLNQ#t=288s I don't know how to fight this R.O.B very well, and I need to beat this R.O.B tomorrow, as it's been my biggest tournament hurdle and our states PR list gets decided after this tournament.

Also, not asking for critique on these, just posting them for the OP :p
VS Snake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3-Je35QVPw&feature=youtu.be
VS Sheik: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=alnAALQE5Ko
VS Jigglypuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA8Ns1WdkcI&feature=plcp (Would appreciate some critique on this one too though if that's Ok)
VS Falco: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ObfKUghRQs&feature=plcp

Anyone who can help, you're awesome.

Edit: Nvm anymore, tournaments come and gone.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I'm not a yoshi player but I can give you general advice against Jamage specifically...
Learn his habits, he can be a really predictable player with ROB, it's easy to predict when he'll down-b or neutral-b for example. And he almost always does falling nairs out of up-b, so bait and punish them.
He spot-dodge > d-smashes way too much as well, learn to predict that and punish it.
I haven't had trouble with him in a while, once you start picking up on his habits it's a lot easier to win.

And anyway, if you continue to improve at the rate you have been you should be comfortably beating him in no time imo.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Thanks a lot Ghost, really appreciated. I'll be sure to remember to re-read your advice whenever I'm up against him next, hopefully it'll sink in enough.
I should learn to notice these bad habits of other players (and myself) by now.

Sharky

Smash Master
grenade mechanics are really dumb lmao.

This is the first set of anyone's I've watched in a good long while. I kinda wanna do a full post on it. We'll see lol. I definitely wanna comment on some of the stuff, at least.

D

Deleted member

Dood they are supposed to adapt to yoshi by game 3, not the other way around.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
So, I'm kinda burnt out for serious critiques because finals and sleep and stuff, but I have watched your videos.

First impression: I like your Yoshi. Nice and fast. Good movement and stuff. Yum.

That first kill on Lucario was UNNNNNNNNNF.

Careful with Egg Roll against Lucario. Dair is a pretty easy punish if you hit with it. Otherwise, Fsmash.

You looked like you got a little antsy waiting for that second kill on Lucario. Don't fish for kills, it's how you lose leads and get killed yourself. Stay patient.

You kinda abuse Down B on slopes too much for my taste. You make some good uses out of it, but a lot of the time I feel like you're doing it just because you can. Don't use it to force yourself offstage for no reason. You're giving up too much stage control (which your opponent failed to capitalize on, but still).

You really started fishing for kills again on Lucario's last stock. Don't do it, our kill moves aren't really safe, and putting yourself at risk of getting bonked by Lucario when he's at high percent is really bad.

Against Marth, I think you should throw more eggs at neutral. Jumping at him is kinda hard...

Also, stop double jabbing the air/shields. Start jab canceling more, it's really good with Yoshi.

Your reactions for shield drop and punishing out of shield drop are kinda slow.

Around 1:13 Marth whiffed a Dolphin Slash and you failed to punish. You need to work on capitalizing on these kinds of things. Good punishes are really important.

Wow you go hard for edgeguards. Also, wat @ that reverse Fsmash.

You're super liberal with rising aerials while recovering. Can't say I necessarily approve of the riskiness, but you're not getting gimped for it, so it's not bad...

Edit: Just read the video descriptions. So those were Wifi friendlies?

Dude, play offline. Your tech skill will appreciate it. Also, wifi helps explain some of the punishing issues, I suppose.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Thanks for this Delta, very appreciated.

I'm never sure how to get the kill against Lucario because whenever I hold back and wait for an opportunity to kill him, he'll keep racking up the damage on me like there's no tomorrow, that and it's tough to approach him and we can't really force an approach cause of aura spheres.:urg: I know I shouldn't fish around for kills like that but I don't really know what else to do. How do you guys go about this problem?

I definitely think you're right about the other stuff, especially stage control.
While I'm talking about Lucario, how do we go about coaxing him out from under platforms? He camps me silly there with charged aura spheres which I can't cancel out with jabs, and whenever I approach him from the air he'll Fsmash me away >_>

Would anyone mind explaining the use of Yoshi jab cancelling shields/in general?

But as for playing offline, I attend smash meets and everything as much as possible, but those are only occasional, and I can't see myself playing CPUs for any real length of time tbh. Or should I just practice AT's etc in training mode?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Dunno for you since you just said there isn't much that goes on in Upside down state. But I usually just practice techskill and timing on crap, while people will the say the usual Oh Wee-fee helps you with MUs and makes you have to change your playstyle slightly due to everyday normal stuff you do can't be done 100% accurately cause of the lag on wifi! I just find it better to have my timing down on training for when I actually do offline stuff with people.

Only time I'd consider wifi is if I was incredibly bored and felt like doing FFA with /v/ or people from my own town that isn't currently over at my place for us to practice or someone elses house.

For jab cancelling it's basically just hitting the button once but pressing down to immediately reset to jab 1. Assuming you have the timing right and you're able to do it 3-6 consecutive times you should get it down by the time you practice it for more than 15 minutes.

Edit: Best I can find is screwing around with Jab cancels from some friendlies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAZrcbkRlbI#t=30s

Notice how he was able to powershield jab2, had we been serious in these matches he could've UpB'd me out of shield. Goes to show how unsafe jab 2 tends to be in most situations.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
I see you have the sliding fsmash down. <3

I'm liking all the fairs you connected but be careful doing that in tourney. A good MK could have easily gimped you towards the end of game 2 when you went really low and then rose up with another fair.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
This is just my opinion, but watching game 1, whenever you egg lay him you'd stay right next to the egg leaving yourself open for attack, probably not your safest option. On your 1st stock before you lost it, it looked like you were hesitating to move away from the egg before he broke out and killed you?
Also, that MK doesn't seem much for edge guarding huh? Can't imagine why, I can't picture MK having a hard time doing so. Just some personal observations from the 1st vid though, I'll watch the other later. (fancy me giving a critique :p )
Looking good in general though Swei. :)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Raptor, send me your menu music please.

1:20 - HNNNNNNNNNNNNGH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

In general, you should be closing space whenever Diddy only has one banana. If he has 2, it's best to camp. At like, 2:05, you let him go pull another nanner. Get off the ledge and pressure, that's our best opening.

2:50 - HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGH

3:50 - LOL Invincibility.

You need to hold shield more against Diddy. Spotdodging is baaaaaaaaad against him.

4:25 - We need to practice DR for item grabbing. So slooooooooow.

4:30 - Sexy kill.

4:50 - Spotdodging :glare:

5:35 - LOL You just can't die.

LOL AT YOUR ENTIRE LAST STOCK OF GAME 1. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN

Holy **** you dominated his first stock after you died game 2. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Pro item tip: When in shield, you can hit the C stick in any direction to easily throw the item in that direction OOS.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Raptor, send me your menu music please.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LZLPFr0HChE

2:50 - HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGH
Looool. That's the exact sound he made when I footstooled him the second time. He was so scared but that threw me off for some reason. I was ready to kill off of it :c

You need to hold shield more against Diddy. Spotdodging is baaaaaaaaad against him.
This is my main problem in general for Brawl (I'd say probably my biggest problem). I have a bad habit of spotdodging when I get nervous and the bananas make me pretty damn nervous at times lol. I'm actually slowly starting to break out of this habit though, I noticed I've been doing it a lot less lately. I think I'm just improving in general though. But yeah, no more spotdodge spam :glare:

4:25 - We need to practice DR for item grabbing. So slooooooooow.
Agreed.

Pro item tip: When in shield, you can hit the C stick in any direction to easily throw the item in that direction OOS.
I don't have a C stick brah :awesome: Lol but yeah I know what you mean. I forgot about that for some reason during our match. There was a time when I rolled forward just to throw the banana the opposite direction, then I remembered I could have just pressed a and the opposite direction lol.

Thanks for the help.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Also, get more comfortable with instant throwing. There were a few points where you seemed stuck on the ledge, even though there was a banana sitting right next to your head. Double jumping from the ledge and instant throwing the banana makes for a pretty good option for getting back onstage.

Top Bottom