• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread: Now in Regular Definition!

D

Deleted member

Yo delta. I like how you camp MK. You made some mistakes, but its an interesting style that i wanna start doing =]
GJ

Also you should mix some ETS, at least a tiny bit, into your walk foward to dash away, to try and get them to commit and then punish like how you do, except an ETS once in a while would add a little more pressure

If you wanna start being a national threat, i suggest u work on hard punishes, taking advantage of advanteous positions, and the like. You pretty much won (and lost lol) by eating him in neutral position the whole time, and yoshi is pretty ok at not letting people get to neutral position again (especially cuz usmash beats nado and airdodge).

Egg lay moar too.
GJ though i guess xD Never knew that yoshi could time people

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Yo delta. I like how you camp MK. You made some mistakes, but its an interesting style that i wanna start doing =]
GJ

Also you should mix some ETS, at least a tiny bit, into your walk foward to dash away, to try and get them to commit and then punish like how you do, except an ETS once in a while would add a little more pressure

If you wanna start being a national threat, i suggest u work on hard punishes, taking advantage of advanteous positions, and the like. You pretty much won (and lost lol) by eating him in neutral position the whole time, and yoshi is pretty ok at not letting people get to neutral position again (especially cuz usmash beats nado and airdodge).

Egg lay moar too.
GJ though i guess xD Never knew that yoshi could time people
I lost using the same style to Orion. He's even gayer. XD

After watching the video, I noticed a lot of mistakes I made such as not punishing him after he used all his jumps and was free to be grabbed on landing.

ETS is interesting, and I'll work on it. My tech skill is REALLY bad though, but I'll definitely practice it when I get the chance in some friendlies to get more comfortable with it.

Hard punishes are something that I think a lot about, but don't really do because I'm afraid to commit against MK. He's just such a stupid character that I'm afraid I'll get bull****ted into a lot of damage. I do follow momentum well against characters not named MK, so maybe I should take more risks.

Egg Lay would have won me game 1, too. I should have expected a shield at the end of the timer, it was the safest and easiest thing to do. D: Must use moar Egg Lay, I always try to remind myself of that.

I wish my set with Squall had been recorded, I was camping him while down 80% game 3 until like, a minute left, and then tried to pull some combo video ****. It almost worked, too, until I traded Uair with Bair when I was at like, 150%. He was at 135-ish after the Uair. :(

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
We need to find an infinite Flutter jump so we can just hit them with one egg then float underneath final destination for the rest of the match. Now that right there would be a solid strategy

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I lost using the same style to Orion. He's even gayer. XD
i didnt even play that gay vs you. i just pushed b and tried to guess when you would usmash since that all you have that can stop it reliably.

you dont know how to appraoch, and im not going to just run into pivot grab which is why the games went to time -.-

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
i didnt even play that gay vs you. i just pushed b and tried to guess when you would usmash since that all you have that can stop it reliably.

you dont know how to appraoch, and im not going to just run into pivot grab which is why the games went to time -.-
I smell name searching. *Adds to the list*

I don't know how to approach MK, although I'm pretty comfortable approaching other characters, not that I like to.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
oh instant super jump? how is that done and why havent i heard of it heh

and i might be helping bigman making some more vids

Yikarur

Smash Master
It's cool, but the hyrule thing is HILARIOUS. The SH fair looks like it's the easiest to do the super jump from, so it'll help influence one of my favorite moves, as well as make my air camping more viable. >:D
fair and nair are the easiest because you shouldn't be able to miss the timing (buffered aerial to buffered jump airdodge)

another way to do super jump is buffered full hop airdodge to buffered double jump airdodge on battlefields lower platforms. This also works on halberd when you jump from the on-stage slopes on the platform of the first stage and it also works from the ship deck to the platform.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Been a while since I've been on here. Anyway, just droppin' off the vids of the MM I had with Xyro at the latest Hobo. My controller likes to turn me around sometimes when I throw an egg and I have no clue why, but there are like 3 or so egg throws that look like they're completely random and that's probably the reason. But, anyway, critique appreciated. Also, the recording has a few moments when it speeds up/slows down or darkens, but ignore it, heh.

YOSH (Yoshi) vs. Xyro (Samus):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwLGsoY92zk <== 1 & 2 of 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJpLaWz-uSg <== 3 & 4 of 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2JVdXnLGnk <== 5 of 5

By the way, in case you didn't catch it from the videos, platforms are REALLY good for Samus. Go for a flat stage like FD or SV if you can in this match-up. Also, I think Frigate is a good counterpick against Samus because there's the edge on the right side where Samus can't grab on and plank. I think what I did to Xyro on his 3rd life demonstrates it well. Anyway, enough chat from me.

bigman40

Smash Master
You need to use DownB more to kill. You had chances at 1:13, 1:19, 1:26, 2:06, and 2:15 before you killed him.
Pay more attention. I have no idea why you dash grabbed at 2:27.
Stop airdodging so early.....and airdodging into the ground...
3:18 should've been you waiting. You had the advantage. You rushed and got killed for it.
At 4:23, you should've just went into downB since he had such little shield. It would've shield poked, or broken his shield.
This is just from the first match. Even though you won, you had a lot of key errors that could've given you a bigger margin for winning.

Yikarur

Smash Master
downB.. there was a trauma situation somewhen: grounded downB against Luigis small Shield, he dropped and fsmashed me out of it -> dead

bigman40

Smash Master
Yeah, but that's where you have to know how much it'll take to make it shield poke if they hold shield. I've messed it up a few times, but always fixed it later in the match.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: LOL isn't this supposed to be some sort of counter matchup? HMMMMMMMMMM LOL

Yosh gettin it in!

I skipped to match 5 because I only cared about who won.

I surprised myself because I saw some pretty top notch play.

My only suggestions are to stop double jabbing shields (I'ma just make a thread about this later) and to, yes, Down+B for faster KOs. You do have a habit of being dangerously aggressive even when you have a relatively large life lead, but I can sometimes see the virute in that because forcing an enemy to approach sometimes lets them get in their own groove and can give them a bit of a mental edge when they spot openings to land hits and take stock, but otherwise that was incredibly fun to watch.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I watched 5th match

Yosh is good lol

anyways I thought xyro was a lot better than that, he sucks LMAO. He doesn't camp at all wtf (at least in that match) all he needs to do is grab that ledge and fire **** across the stage lol. I never seen any xyro vids except that I believe, but he pretty much sucks, imo NoIdea is better.

ANYWAYS, good stuff Yosh

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I watched 5th match

Yosh is good lol

anyways I thought xyro was a lot better than that, he sucks LMAO. He doesn't camp at all wtf (at least in that match) all he needs to do is grab that ledge and fire **** across the stage lol. I never seen any xyro vids except that I believe, but he pretty much sucks, imo NoIdea is better.

ANYWAYS, good stuff Yosh
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would saying something back but i realized your a nobody who has done nothing in tourney or for the community so all is good.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would saying something back but i realized your a nobody who has done nothing in tourney or for the community so all is good.
I am not saying I have, but GOD DAM you suck for real

LOL

since I wanna make sure you keep up with the thread and you namesearch: xyro

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Well, I watched the last video to find out who won.

One thing that I noticed as I did this exact same match up yesterday for my first round of brackets, is that Samus will generally Zair or Fair up from the ledge when you throw an egg. If you're in the lead, you generally want to just wait and dodge it to counter.

Another thing that's good to do is use your shield more on Samus once you're at kill percents (160ish). You can dodge the grab pretty easily, and shield camping is quite safe. I was living until around 260%.

Also, in general, once you get into the habit of double jabbing shields, a lot of people will punish you OOS after the second hit. Because of this, you can jab once > down b and a lot of people will drop shield and get hit because they react to the second hit on their shield (the rising part of down b). This also makes jab > grab and jab > egg lay good because they're waiting for the second hit in most cases.

You're lucky you weren't camped harder. Rhyme is as patient as myself, the matches were so fun. He uses missile pressure really well. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Samus cant really punish jabbing lol. Which amused me. Doesnt look like a bad matchup anymore, i ***** tearbears samus pretty bad (his is the best in socal), i think you just gotta not approach it like a normal campy matchup, but abuse samus' awful character traits, terribad jab, and awful OOS besides up b (which is short ranged).
Good stuff yosh =]
But you placed bad so i am dissapoint.

Edit: By far the coolest thing you did was the AMAAZING egg lay punish at :30 5th match.

I disagree with shiri, samus isnt gonna do anything if you space double jabs on shield right, the hitbox of up b wont hit.

I do think you should mix up your shield pressure on the ground, and pivot grab more

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Yeah, I need to use down-B to kill more, but the ONLY TWO GUYS I HAVE TO PLAY AGAINST IN THIS STUPID STATE either spot dodge the 2nd hit of it or powershield it EVERY time. So I've just learned that if I know the first hit won't hit, then I'll get punished if I do it.

I had played Xyro in a game before this MM, and I tried the down-B kill a lot and I lost because he figured out what to do against it. I got punished for it too much.

Whenever I do a double jab, I don't ever hold down A or tap it as fast as I can. I try to always jab and wait for a little bit and then do the second hit. Usually my opponents just learn to hold shield long enough, so I guess I could do an egg lay or grab, but as I said earlier, the guys I normally play against, a jab => down-B doesn't work unless the first jab hits, but w/e.

I'd love to get better, but with only 2 people to play against, I think I've hit a plateau of my gaming without more people to try all the advice on honestly.

I know I placed badly, and I'm not thrilled about it, but honestly, I've gotten to where I don't care that much. It's nice to place high, but until you get top 3, you're not getting money, so I go to tourneys to get better and to have fun. The competition in Houston is honestly the hardest I've seen. I went to No Koast and placed 17th with 105 people there. I didn't play any better or worse than I normally do. The smash scene just wasn't as good as Houston. Even the guys who got last place at Hobo I would bet would place in the top half at other tourneys I've been to.

Oh and Stocky, I did that egg-lay punish in the 3rd game and the 4th game on Xyro's second life for a kill, so the read in the 5th game was the 3rd time that he had fallen for it. He learned not to do it in the 5th game.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I am not saying I have, but GOD DAM you suck for real

LOL

since I wanna make sure you keep up with the thread and you namesearch: xyro
What is there to follow? I have literally 3 stocked or easy 2 stocked every yoshi i have ever met in my 2+ years of playing this game. Yosh is the ONLY one to give me trouble and even then we are even. We litterally go back in forth in sets(mm/reg tourney/lt tier tourney/friendlies...ect). Hes the best yoshi i have ever seen and i guarantee not a single samus will BEAT or get close to beating him.

So your "you suck" comment is 100% base-less in all areas(u have no clue what i have accomplished as the best samus). LOL i place better than you in tourney on any given day and have beaten people far better than you( i guarantee). Your a nobody who has done nothing and will never do anything special in smash for the remainder of your days.

Top Bottom