• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video games: why do we play them?

DeathCoyle

Smash Rookie
I play games for fun and a sense of accomplishment.

Also, it's ****ing hilarious to beat someone repeatedly in a game and hear them start getting frustrated about it.
yeeeeeeeees! I love doing that to people. I killed this one kid seven straigt times in Halo3 and he was cussing me out over the headset and everything. It was funny as ****

P-Wubbs

Smash Apprentice
Video Games give you a place to leave your world and get caught up in a brand new world. As much as TV and movies take the place of books with imaginable lands and worlds, it is video games that allows a person to fully interact with that world and make themselves a part of it.

I'm an avid halo player and there is no more enjoyment I have then hearing people complain about me killing them.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I play video and computer games for fun and entertainment. It's a nice alternative to sports, music and chess. Of course, playing excessive amounts of video/computer games can be harmful to your health, but as long as you can keep it in moderation and maintain a sense of discipline on when to stop, then it's perfectly fine!

Silk

Smash Apprentice
04-16-2008, 03:34 PM
|
|
V
01-01-2010, 09:44 PM

LOL. All I have to say is that most hobbies or forms of entertainment can be the same way, you could play a game and get a lot of joy out of it whether it be by yourself or amongst friends, same with movies, a show, a book etc etc for all things that are forms of entertainment. Its crazy how I could play a game for an hour, or I could read a book for an hour, and people would judge against one or the other as being better time spent when really both are for the same purpose.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Fun, simply put. I play them to give some fun in life. I won't lie, playing them alone isn't as fun as it used to be, but me and my girlfriend have similar interests, so...
Anyways, sports, games, jumping off a bridge, etc... fun is fun. =]

pitskeyblade

Smash Lord
Makin movies makin songs & FIGHTIN ROUND THE W
Dude, video games are my anti-drug. I play them for competition, fun, and they give me someone to take my anger out on that won't sue me. Video games are really healthy. Some studies show in fact that people who play video games make better surgeons because they have better hand-eye coordination. Video games rock!

xTONEx

Smash Apprentice
I play video games cause they're fun as **** basically. And a lot of people play them so you'll always have someone to play with/against.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
For the most part, I play videogames as a social thing. I will play any type of multiplayer game - board games, card games, sports or videogames as long as the people I play with are fun. Competition, teamwork, ganging up on each other, hilarious jokes and doing stupid things are all part of it.

The few single player games I play are either incredibly fun or I just like the story.

I hate games that make me angry though. I very rarely get angry irl and it's not an emotion I like. I don't enjoy games that frustrate me. 1v1 fifa and pro evo are the first games that come to mind grrrrr.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I play because they are usually,Tons of fun,Great for getting rid of frustration,brilliant with friends,can bring out the most competitive nature in you,bring you to place you can only dream about.

Video games are just a great way to entertain yourself.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Dude, video games are my anti-drug. I play them for competition, fun, and they give me someone to take my anger out on that won't sue me. Video games are really healthy. Some studies show in fact that people who play video games make better surgeons because they have better hand-eye coordination. Video games rock!
Trauma Center :laugh::laugh:

E3_

Smash Apprentice
We have them just to play them. It entertain the audience around and entertain yourself..Thats why we have them

The Drifter

Smash Journeyman
I play em because as a child I considered myself a weakling, and it was the only thing I could really do well. Now, I just play them for an excuse to spend time with my more intense gamer friends, so you could say it brings people together.

BlargCow

Smash Journeyman
i play video games because i have no friends and it helps kill the pain of being alone

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I dunno, but my reason depends on the actual game. For example something innocent like lets say NSMBW. I play it for just the entertainment (and nostalgia). Other games that are ultra violent such as Modern Warfare 2 or Grand Theft Auto, is mainly as a stress reliever. If I ever feel like I want to just bring a knife and stab someone or something (using that as an example, I never feel like doing that) I can just switch on GTA and start massacring people without any consenquences on my part (yes I use cheats on that game :p). Plus it has been proven in studies by psychiatrists that some video games that involves the use of basic motor skills such as Guitar Hero, is actually great as it does just that, helps patients recover the use of basic motor skills. Plus like I said, its also been proven that games like GTA is a great way to relieve stress.

E3_

Smash Apprentice
I dunno, but my reason depends on the actual game. For example something innocent like lets say NSMBW. I play it for just the entertainment (and nostalgia). Other games that are ultra violent such as Modern Warfare 2 or Grand Theft Auto, is mainly as a stress reliever. If I ever feel like I want to just bring a knife and stab someone or something (using that as an example, I never feel like doing that) I can just switch on GTA and start massacring people without any consenquences on my part (yes I use cheats on that game :p). Plus it has been proven in studies by psychiatrists that some video games that involves the use of basic motor skills such as Guitar Hero, is actually great as it does just that, helps patients recover the use of basic motor skills. Plus like I said, its also been proven that games like GTA is a great way to relieve stress.
LOLOL...u cheated on GTA

Nawww...Name me one person never cheated in any GTA

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I don't play GTA for any particular stress related reason, at least I don't think so. They're just ridiculously fun. I've been a GTA fanboy since 1, before it got cool with 3 :F

GTA3 was the first game to give you such crazy freedom in a realistic world. It was great to see this city that seemed almost like a real, living, breathing city. Even just walking down the street catching glimpses of WTF-conversations or knocking people over was interesting. But then you could take it to the most extreme level ever. The game should really be titled Mass Murder and Property Destruction.

Vice City refined that formula and set it in a location that was very familiar to me, as a Floridian. It also turned up the fun notch a couple knobs. The setting isn't quite as interesting to explore IMO but it's just way funner. And of course San Andreas gave us an entire STATE (sure there is tons of empty pointless space but still) and just went completely over the top. It basically any semblance of a realistic world by the end but it's still my favorite GTA, just for the sheer amount of crap you can do.

wow, way off topic.

but honestly. there is hardly an answer more than "fun" for me.

S l o X

Smash Champion
GTA was unbelievably, and is still unbelievably boring to me.

Running around finding guns, killing people and stealing cars isn't my ideal game.

I'd much rather play Mario Party or some fighting game or even racing game. Those are fun. :D

E3_

Smash Apprentice
C'mon now, thats like a real life game(gangs and all). Mario Party is fun, but i wanna c u play it by yourself for a period of time against CPU's

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

Running around finding guns, killing people and stealing cars isn't my ideal game.

I'd much rather play Mario Party or some fighting game or even racing game. Those are fun. :D
Mario Party is a completely different game than GTA. You're not honestly saying playing Mario Party alone is more fun than GTA alone? If so I don't know what to say

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Honestly, playing roleplaying video games augmented my reading and writing skills, and I've only read about 3 books in my entire life. Things are only as bad as you make them. Video games are pretty much television that you can interact with, and the more interactive you are, the quicker you can learn things.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

GTA isn't all about finding guns, killing people, and stealing cars. Those are things you can do, not things you have to do.

Vice City's protagonist Tommy Vercetti commits the most canon (actual mission driven) murders in a GTA3 era game, which comes to about 11 iirc.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you kill more goombas and koopa troopas in your average Mario game. GTA is an open world game that lives and breathes without your influence. What makes it great is being able to do all the crazy stuff you want to do if you so choose, without real life consequences.

You can steal cars, run over 250 pedestrians, pull out a bazooka and blow up a police helicopter, than draw out a minigun and mow down SWAT teams and the army, but that's only if you choose to do so, and that's what makes it awesome.

GTA is also built round single player. You can have an awesome time playing with friends, but just as much so without, unlike Mario Party, which basically needs a companion to make it of any worth.

So call GTA boring if you want, but I think you find it boring because you don't understand what the game is about. I mean you could become an ace paramedic or fireman instead of a serial killer if you really wanted.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
I play GTA just to use unlimited ammo cheats and shoot people and launch rockets at helicopters. Story is pretty boring in all of them in my opinion.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Well it helps me keep a balanced like between work and my social life, plus they get my problems of my mind temporarily, in other words they help me relax and think about other stuff such as the game itself, especially in my case RPG's. Though these past 2 years have really impacted me and due to many life changes I have had less and less time to enjoy them as I once did

All I can say from GTA is that it has 2 thumbs down from me, never liked it never will.

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm also looking for the scientific proof the video games make you stupider.

I play for fun/competition, and to play with friends.

Top Bottom