• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Victory Is My Destiny-The *New* Guide to Meta Knight by PEEF! Feb 1 2009 Update!

Fitty

Smash Cadet
meta knight has no real talent anyone can get nice with him hes a spammer.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Oh man, I really just accidentally deleted the entire guide didnt I? Well sh*t.

OK, all fixed. Update added. =]

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
great guide. i read it all. but what is "DI"?

sorry for noob question....
DI = Directional Influence

It allows you to survive at higher percentages that you wouldn't normally.

EDIT: Some things I noticed:

Link/Toon Link’s bombs and Yoshi’s eggs don't go through tornado. Also, Pit’s Light Arrows must be uncharged to get stopped by Mach tornado.

It also might be a good idea to grab some newer, updated vids from the MK video thread to put in the Pro vids section.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Ive known about the Uair hitstun but I air dodge instead its soooo hard to get used to.
BTW mk's jab can be used as an edgeguard, it gives just enough knockback for your opponent to miss the edge if caught in it, and if your opponent dodges they miss the edge anyway, perfect chance to gimp

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
There's an error. Under the MT, ROB's laser can get through it. Uncharged or charged.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
BTW mk's jab can be used as an edgeguard, it gives just enough knockback for your opponent to miss the edge if caught in it, and if your opponent dodges they miss the edge anyway, perfect chance to gimp
lol ...

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
2 things in the guide that I noticed:

- MK's jab is not an infinite in any way. It's easily SDI'd out of. D-tilt is what you'll want to use on an opponent against a wall.

- There's a better way to survive high %'s vertically than what's stated in the guide. After getting hit up and DI'ing left/right, start spamming U-air until the moment you get out of hitstun. Once you hear a single U-air come out, start spamming D-air. The first D-air will put you in auto fastfall.

- I find this to be much better because of how the the control stick is only used for inplementing trajectory; no worries of forgetting to fastfall with it. You can watch recent M2K's videos and see that he does this.

DeadX

Smash Journeyman
Ok so the best way to gimp with dair is to use the c-stick instead of the classic a down right?

DeadX

Smash Journeyman
oh and by the way, MT doesn't gain tornado the more you mash B. All the priority is at the bottom, and so as you mash b (and get higher) it gets harder to out prioritize because all the priority is at the bottom. Thats what Ninjalink said.

UncleSam

Smash Master
oh and by the way, MT doesn't gain tornado the more you mash B. All the priority is at the bottom, and so as you mash b (and get higher) it gets harder to out prioritize because all the priority is at the bottom. Thats what Ninjalink said.
there's less priority on the bottom because that is where MK's body is, and since metaknight has almost no Invincibility frames anything that hits from the bottom, does damage

Babar-Thorbald

Smash Apprentice
2 things in the guide that I noticed:

- There's a better way to survive high %'s vertically than what's stated in the guide. After getting hit up and DI'ing left/right, start spamming U-air until the moment you get out of hitstun. Once you hear a single U-air come out, start spamming D-air. The first D-air will put you in auto fastfall.

I assume that you use down+A instead of the c-stick when you DI with Dair... Right?

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't the wall on the ship (that separates the poop deck and the deck) also give an infinite?

In rainbow cruise.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I assume that you use down+A instead of the c-stick when you DI with Dair... Right?
No, you use the C-stick.

It puts you into auto-fastfall after momentum canceling with an U-air. That way the control stick's only responsibility is to input DI trajectory.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Planning on fixing this?
Um...I know the laser goes right through it. I never said it didn't. I'm not sure what you are talking about?

Anyway, the guide was updated today. Frame Data is now avaliable. (Thank you Hotgarbage!)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Sorry, I thought it said moves that have priority over, not outprioritized by.

S

smash brawl player 99021

**** theres alot of great stuff in this. When on a ledge i jump then shuttle loop instead...

S

smash brawl player 99021

not to disagree or anything, but does d throw being demeaning have anything to do with gameplay?

SilverBlaze

Smash Apprentice
"Once you start a glide, you can cancel the glide either by pulling up, or pressing a for a glide attack."

You can also cancel a glide immediately by pressing Y or X. MK does a sort of barrel roll and just drops straight down. I'm sure most people know this, but it should be put into the guide just in case.

Canceling glides this way instead of stalling out is obviously much faster and less predictable. It also can help for mindgames. If you're gliding towards an opponent, they'll often try to shieldgrab the glide attack. Many people will just stay put and raise their shield when you get close, and grab as soon as they see the hit connect. You can get around this easily by cancelling the glide right in front of them and then grabbing them instead. It might seem silly because you're still putting yourself in their grab range, but 9 times out of 10 people won't try grabbing until they see the hit register.

-Syn-

Smash Cadet
I don't get why everyone thinks you can't play metaknight defensively. In some matchups you almost have to. It's more of a hit and run / counter their approach style, but I find myself turtling vs. Snake and it helps a lot. If I see him try to rush in for a running attack I just counter with Mach Tornado or see him creeping forward obviously looking for a f.tilt, mach tornado again. Shield f.tilts and punish with MKs f.tilt and then go into pressure, and once they get out and the situation goes back to neutral, run away again and reset it.

I think the reason most MKs lose this matchup is because they try to be offensive.
Defensive means using MT to counter everything? lulz

Veng

Smash Ace
I learned so much from reading this.

Im going to be CPing brinstar way more now.

My friends told me lylat was a CP, i knew they didnt know what they were talking about... they cry about lylat all the time...

I also knew DK was an MK 'counter' which they also said wasnt true... hmm

i also learned a lot about his frame data and stuff you can and shouldnt do, especially approach stuffing, which basiccally you short hop up b any gay mans turtle?

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
I think I will just state it here, even though it isn't really that useful in my book (and as tested by Rich Wheeler).

Even though it may not be consistent with all characters, MK's Side-B can actually make characters bounce of the floor of the stage and into the air to set up for a possible Fair pressure attack at higher percents, or instantly ground into them a on the floor position.

If you think of Side-B's DI as a compass, and point it just passed the southeast direction, you can bounce some characters off the stage. If you just point it southeast, you can ground them as well.

Just a fun fact and nothing more...I think.

Vel

Smash Apprentice
Why isn't this thread stickied anymore? :(

It's a great thread that really helped me get my MK off the ground and doing better

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I lost my sticky? This is the best MK guide in the world yeah? =[

And thanks everyone for the compliments and critiques. Im glad it's helping ppl.

Top Bottom