• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Victory is My Destiny - MK Video and Critique Thread

Dojo

Smash Champion
Learn not only to use bananas but how to play around them.

When you take a banana use it to zone. more than the fact of not giving it back to the Diddy. He WILL have two in his possession at many points in the game so you have to learn how to just play around them.

Example of playing around them is playing a real good footsy and poke game. If he has 2 bananas in his possession slowly walk up to him and stay a platform length distance away. He won't be able to shoot peanuts unless charging which are easy to shield and you should be able to react to a banana throw fast enough.

Shield his banana throw and see what he does and play reactionary to it. Use alot of dtilt and the first hit or two of ftilt. Dont commit to the full ftilt unless you know it's going to hit. Grabs are good too (standing grabs take priority over dash grabs).

Forward roll is extremely strong too in some instances. If they don't expect it you can froll behind them after you shielded a banana throw and either immediately grab or bait the spot dodge. (Froll will go over bananas.)

A trick I do with froll is when they have a banana in hand and one slightly in front. I'll walk up to the distance explained, just wait til they throw the banana, shield it, froll behind them (90% likely they're going to immediately pick up the banana in front of them and panic when you roll behind them causing them to spotdodge.) and you get a free grab, throw, **** as much as you can.

You have to be really creative and plan moves ahead. Diddy's gay. Time him out.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8virCY9eRGk
this is me well Mostly my diddy. But I went mk match 4.
note: in this vid it's match 3
the recorder did put the first match at SV as last match.
I would like some criticue at my own mk:)
it's ofc welcome for my diddy but since this are the mk boards I don't expect to much help for that.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g267wwmjl0&list=UUETlhpqcGkfsy-UMEVbgmCg&index=3&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZdnTEFY594&list=UUETlhpqcGkfsy-UMEVbgmCg&index=2&feature=plcp

I suck vs Marth and stuff so any comments are welcome. I don't think it's like my best set ever or something, I haven't really been up for practicing much post apex, but overall I didn't play to bad and it's recent in comparison to everything else i have recorded. Things I noticed
0) i get mad/angry at this character LOL
but on a more productive notice
1) I drop punishes on a lot of weird *** // awkward *** punishes or juggles. I don't really know why overall vs like every other player I don't really have this problem (including like jason, adhd, ect). I just seem to never get strings // rewards
2) I suck at stopping fair in like all it's variations. Inb4 just nado that **** gets you ***** unless you make a read doing it. To be fair* if he's autopiloting it's free, but to early and you get hit out of it, to late and he can double jump (if you chase counter/upB/garbage)
3) airdodge ->upB is gay
4) upB is gay in general
5) Combined with marths air mobility I don't really know how to chase him. most characters bar wario i can cover their options if im fast enough and read their direction, except in this case wario has a sword with priority which makes me rage.
6) Can't really kill marth ***** is mad fat for no reason
7) Counter is ****ing gay
8) Full hop fair is especially gay because i suck at covering marths landing
9) Idk why because I don't have this problem in other matchups usually except sometimes in MK dittos if the other player COMPLETELY outclasses me (like jason level), but i get mad fighting at the ledge i always feel like I'm being read so I do stupid ****. But I guess that's in general it's just the ledge is important and I'm probably already mad in this case when im there because he hit me off.

more general salty stuff later

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Dawg

you never use upB
hardly use fsmash
and hardly use DAttack

all three have definite uses in the marth mu. also third hit ftilt is wicked good.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
that doesn't describe what situations you mean. So it's not clear

dash attack stuffs marths dash/jump if you have a read. If you don't have said read /not worth it

fsmash is gay as a spacer but honestly how often do you expect me to hit w/ that ish? I've had days where I've just gotten tippered from it.

upB seems to be only worth the risk reward if you know it will hit, otherwise you literally just reversed your situation. It's also not good at racking damage, It's gay as **** for positional advantage/gimps but when he gets like twice as much damage for a single hit punish half the time it gets type dumb.

I do think I need to use it more but at the same time I want to start keeping it fresh because I can't kill either so at least it gives me an option

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Alright Orion, I agree with you a lot about Marth, he's gay lol. But here's a few things I noticed from your matches.

You Dsmashed once the entire set, Dsmash is super good, it's a good gtfo move and killer, Marth isn't fat at all, you just kept hitting him with stale **** :(

Fsmash pressure when Marth is on the ledge is amazing, Marth on the ledge is bad for Marth.

Try reading his double jumps with Shadow Loops, and throw out Shadow Loops in general, those are Marth's biggest weakness against MK, with his poor horizontal recovery.

Grabs are **** and Grounded Up-B cuts through Marth's Fair and is really good for killing.

Here's a recent MM between me and a solid Marth from TX. I mean we're not on yours and Mr. R's level but idk maybe you can pick up a few things, who knows. (*disclaimer, the first few matches I'm working off rust from not even playing MK since Apex lol*)

P4 vs. Nike
http://youtu.be/gOs_5hyYowM

theunabletable

Smash Lord
alright I'm not that good or anything, and I can't tell you a whole lot, but a few things I noticed that at least seemed significant, do with it what you will :p

So like... for one, or at least from when I watched match number 2 (that's the only one I looked at), you were getting utterly beat offstage. Almost every single time you went offstage, you got hit again before you got back onto the stage at a neutral position. Whether it be from a counter beating out your nado or glide attack, or just baiting an action, and then punishing it with something.

Now I can't be positive of this, but it also seemed like he was relying on that ledge pressure, almost to the point where it's habit for him when you're offstage, he has MK's options figured out and stuff. At least when I look at 3:36 that's the impression I get. Not expecting you to PS his attack, it looked like he kinda panicked there. Perhaps this could be a tell that he's watching out really hard a specific kind of ledge pressure specifically, and he might be tunnel visioning a bit, hence the panic spot dodges? I'm not entirely sure on this paragraph, though, but it's worth considering, and you could probably consider it better than me haha.

Although what really did seem to make the difference in that match is that he was really just getting more "followups" in than you were, comparatively.

Like this is kind of where MK is able to take the matchup into his favor, because he deals more damage after initial hits than Marth does, he can get a hit, and then Marth's in a bad enough position that he can just get in more hits. It seemed like Mr R really was neutralizing that, and dealing more consecutive damage than you were. His pressure in general was just better, you were in more uncomfortable positions more often, and he was either reading you a LOT, but what seems more likely is he was just often in positions where he could react to your options, and that'd be why his ledge pressure was sooo good.

Perhaps looking at frame data, and thinking of different ways to recover might be good. Checking out which options he can punish on reaction, and which ones he actually does punish on reaction (his reaction time is either very fast, or very trained lol.)

In that match, getting back to a neutral position really seemed to be the big difference. I mean, if you were to have gotten back to a neutral position as often as Mr R was comparatively, you probably would've won that match (although perhaps he would have adapted as well, hard to say.) Further your own ledge pressure could maybe have worked out better, too.

Although really, all of this is hard to judge, because of the very high caliber of play involved. It's definitely not simple to just "recover better" against Mr R, nor is it simple to just pressure Mr R on the ledge better than he pressures you, but that definitely, at least as far as I could tell, seemed to be the main thing that was setting him apart from you that match.

You did kind of comment on a lot of this, though. I guess I'd say check out which options you aren't using from the ledge, which ones you were using that were working, which positions he was in when he was beating your options that weren't working. Like for one, I noticed that simple ledge hops worked a few times, and they are hard to react to because they're so fast. It seemed like most of the time he beat your ledge hop, it wasn't your ledgehop he beat, but he was covering your action right after the ledge hop. Maybe try air dodging from the ledge onto the stage in that fast way, but waiting more often, and possibly punish his preemptive option that he's using against your buffered action out of ledgehop?

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
marth-mk
It seems like gimping Ramin isn't even possible =/
that is what makes this mu so stupid from marth's side

Orion*

Smash Researcher
MK mains complaining about another character being stupid looooool
Better than complaining about literally everything and then still sucking *** at the game, let alone knowing much if anything about it.

God why did I even click view post, I had hoped after having you blocked for like ever now maybe you had something interesting to say.

edit:@table/nike
ill respond to you guys soon thanks ;)

@ ramin

yeah like. you can only gimp marth with MK if.
A. You get like the super hardest read ever.
B. He ****s up (bad angle/poor reactions)

it definitely takes training from the marth, in specific situations. and most non top marth mains i gimp horribly just by ****ing with their reactions then edge hogging properly. (i.e. shadow loops are MUCH more effect if the marth doesnt know how to react to it properly, once they do it's not as good although still a good scare tactic that makes some angles unusable )

Orion*

Smash Researcher
You Dsmashed once the entire set, Dsmash is super good, it's a good gtfo move and killer, Marth isn't fat at all, you just kept hitting him with stale **** :(
I usually don't pay attention to stale moves because... i rarely if ever use moves in a way where i need to. But In what situations is dsmash even safe vs marth? Off block it's certainly not, so unless im reading a landing it's seems mediocre.

Grounded Up-B cuts through Marth's Fair and is really good for killing.
I tend to be afraid of getting that ish baited. But I do think I should upB in the right situations more

So like... for one, or at least from when I watched match number 2 (that's the only one I looked at), you were getting utterly beat offstage. Almost every single time you went offstage, you got hit again before you got back onto the stage at a neutral position. Whether it be from a counter beating out your nado or glide attack, or just baiting an action, and then punishing it with something.
yup.. xD

Perhaps this could be a tell that he's watching out really hard a specific kind of ledge pressure specifically, and he might be tunnel visioning a bit, hence the panic spot dodges? I'm not entirely sure on this paragraph, though, but it's worth considering, and you could probably consider it better than me haha.
the way you worded it was weird. what ledge pressure are we talking about specifically XD

Although what really did seem to make the difference in that match is that he was really just getting more "followups" in than you were, comparatively.
lord knows

Like this is kind of where MK is able to take the matchup into his favor, because he deals more damage after initial hits than Marth does, he can get a hit, and then Marth's in a bad enough position that he can just get in more hits.
I really feel like this is the problem. Because I'm hard reading wtf he's doing I'm not getting followups a majority of the time. If you get under marth yes he's ****ed.. But ramins super smart about abusing the airmobility and just airdodging at the right time. I literally feel like im trying to juggled wario with a sword in exchange for his dair.

Also marths moves deal more damage than mks by a lot, so even just a few fairs is more than like lol uairs ftw. If I can get a nice read and a nair its great but reads are not something I want to put into a gameplan. Nado is super awkward when juggling marth when they know what to do because they can just counter/upB. I should probably bait it but I just get sooo salty about it >_>.

Perhaps looking at frame data, and thinking of different ways to recover might be good. Checking out which options he can punish on reaction, and which ones he actually does punish on reaction (his reaction time is either very fast, or very trained lol.)
When I come over we dont sleep
/swag

In that match, getting back to a neutral position really seemed to be the big difference. I mean, if you were to have gotten back to a neutral position as often as Mr R was comparatively, you probably would've won that match (although perhaps he would have adapted as well, hard to say.) Further your own ledge pressure could maybe have worked out better, too.
fair enough

It seemed like most of the time he beat your ledge hop, it wasn't your ledgehop he beat, but he was covering your action right after the ledge hop. Maybe try air dodging from the ledge onto the stage in that fast way, but waiting more often, and possibly punish his preemptive option that he's using against your buffered action out of ledgehop?
gold rush

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Dsmash isn't a high commitment move though, just because I'm saying to use it doesn't mean go hog wild with it. Use it sparingly and be smart with it. It's a lot safer then all those glide attacks you were doing :p.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Orion I think you are way to scared vs Ramin
and it seems that you only have that problem vs Ramin :S
being save is good but you can try to take a risk if it isn't to big and the reward can be good.

C.J.

Smash Master
Orion- you're terrible and should just stick to fox.

IM me tomorrow since I won't have classes then.

NNID
Budget_Player
Sorry, I couldn't read your last post.

The amount of money I win from not sucking at the game has covered my computer screen.
...Do you ask for your payouts in pennies or something?

Anyways, OT:

http://de.twitch.tv/ascwolf/b/317242919

The set I'm looking for critique on starts at 1:09:15. I'm the pink MK who lost horribly to a player who is absolutely horrible, mostly because I don't know the ****ing matchup I'm free as ****. How do you best punish (assuming optimal spacing):
–Grounded upB on block
–Dsmash on block
–Aerial upB above the stage airdodging (you'll see what I mean mid-match)

Because nobody in germany can punish that crap. -.-

Orion*

Smash Researcher
The set I'm looking for critique on starts at 1:09:15. I'm the pink MK who lost horribly to a player who is absolutely horrible, mostly because I don't know the ****ing matchup I'm free as ****. How do you best punish (assuming optimal spacing):
–Grounded upB on block
–Dsmash on block
–Aerial upB above the stage airdodging (you'll see what I mean mid-match)
you can punish almost everything with like everything in MK dittos its stupid.

back hit dsmash if tipped im not so sure about... >.>
grounded upB dash under and react when blocked. If they power drop just nair, if they keep going you can at worst get a sh uair

Dsmash if it's like GOD spacing buffer dash attack? but 99% of the time just ftilt that **** to be safe and it's easy. If your confident though best thing you can do imo is dash grab unless you want to kill.

idk what your talking about at the end will watch more later i guess x)

stop dashing EVERYTIME you dtilt someone. jesus

Orion*

Smash Researcher

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
well vs Diddy
he could have picked the bananas a few times which he didn't do.

play the Ï want those banana's" game vs diddy's
play more patieant and wait for uproaches when diddy has banana's
he can't keep them forever.
and Go in when he has none.
he did mess up the glide toss timing a few times.
but the thing I see most is that he can't handle the presure Istud gave him.
My gues is that he doesn't really like it to play vs diddy :$
Really it's like watching myself vs RiVer xD

btw tell him to grab more often. I saw like 2 grabs at max in that match vs Istud at bf. A lot of times he did use a mve where he just could grab.

grab more.
learn to handle presure.
learn to do the glidtoss perfectly.
I should advice him to play more vs a diddy main.
keep more pressure.
at the same time use mk's moves safer and space them more.

my mk isn't great but I think that working on these things can help your mate a lot.
this info was based on the matches vs Istud since I know that mu better then pikachu and IC.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Hi I need some help with my Metaknight, here's a couple of matches I had on wifi the other day. There were more matches against him, but there was something about them that made me decide not to save them (probably due to stupid SDs or me just getting destroyed in general). These were the last two that I used Metaknight in.

Game 1

Game 2

Be brutal.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
well wifi can mess around with your skill
if you find yourself better off-line then you probably don't need to care about wifi.

but here some advice

overal your spacing isn't great.
and other then that your biggest weakness is probably character knowledge.
you often do moves where you could do an other move that would be much better.
just try to learn your options and learn when to use what move.
like when you are in front of your openent.
you have a few otions like shorthop fair,dtilt,ftilt,grab,dair,tornado etc.
learn those options and mix them up.
overal I think you can mix up your game more and be a lot more creative.

Recovery is an importante atribute for brawl and We as mk's have the best recovery in brawl.
abuse that. mix your recovery up and try to make your openent to scary to follow you.
you have tons of ways to recover.
sideB,glide(in which case you can go up and dwn and other shiz in order to **** with your opnents mind.)upB,tornado,just midair jumps and the downB.
learn to sweetspot that downB(it's great.)

overal it's just knowing what your character can do and what not.
know your options and use them the right way.

that's my advice.

ninjapenguin

Smash Apprentice
Hi there. I played my first really good Snake the other day. I wasn't really sure what to do against him since I don't know his AT's very well. I mostly just avoided as many grenades and C4 as possible. I did pretty good, but I would love some tips on the Snake matchup. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-4PhshziSw

Any advice on the matchup in general, or about points in the match where I should have done something differently would be greatly appreciated. I'm nowhere close to pro so don't be too harsh. :)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Guys, before posting, read the First Post, and pay attention to the 4th point....
It's hard to tell an accurate critique over WiFi matches.

ninjapenguin

Smash Apprentice
Guys, before posting, read the First Post, and pay attention to the 4th point....
It's hard to tell an accurate critique over WiFi matches.
I know, I know. There's no one within 3 hours of me who plays so all I have is wi-fi. Sorry for any inconvenience, would still appreciate some matchup advice at the very least.

Top Bottom