• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Victory is My Destiny - MK Video and Critique Thread

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
I always thought Fsmash was guaranteed on Wario when he air released... I always land it... maybe it has to do something that I buffer it(?)

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Can someone please critique this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftMLFuI7UEk

I watched the video and found 3 mistakes
1. I took too long to make decisions and got punished for it.
2. My tech skill was terrible
3. I got nervous a few times so I ended up using 3 moves (usmash, side b, and an up b) when there was no reason to use them.

Im the green metaknight.
The other metaknight is a very good wario main.

Spanky-Joe

Smash Cadet
Try to use MK's Down special more Xenon. It can send you around the stage fairly fast and does fairly high damage with the extra slash at the end. Also try to be more defensive, MK is hard to KO considering his HUGE recovery and that first KO was because of the lack of defense. Otherwise, good job.

:phone:

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Try to use MK's Down special more Xenon. It can send you around the stage fairly fast and does fairly high damage with the extra slash at the end. Also try to be more defensive, MK is hard to KO considering his HUGE recovery and that first KO was because of the lack of defense. Otherwise, good job.

:phone:
Thankyou for trying to help, but this is wrong.
MK's down special should be used mostly for getting to the ledge. Sometimes using it to get back on stage can be good if you know your opponent will not expect it, but its extremely dangerous. The down special's attack is very laggy and not worth using imo.
Metaknight is a very lightweight character.
The first KO was because my opponents up b traded with my uair iirc.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
for blubo: bad nado got you punished at the start, you kinda panicked in the air there, control the nado to a platform(top woudla been a worthwhile mash), sdi the uair, sdi in general is important vs olimar (another example being his nair>usmash stuff), you need to practice your nado pressure, you could have sheild poked him if you went in longer,you run too much walk more, dashing commits you to bad options vs olimar, unless you plan on mindgaming with runup spotdodge dont do it, dash attack is a bad habit to be using if olimar is on the ground(not too bad for landing punishes though),why did you commit to a grounded upb when you had him on a platform? you just did fair utilt there, thats questionable,be more patient and uair nair him, you died cause of that upb aswell,need to learn better platform pressure, also at the end when you had an uair string i would have opted to upb him instead and not go with the damage a meaty nair did, might have sent him at a bad angle or even offstage

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Most of your shuttle loops weren't good. And shuttle looping onto the stage from the ledge vs olimar is not a good idea. When you tried to approach Olimar, you spammed rolls a lot which is easy to punish. I think you should have used a lot more fair, especially when approaching. I don't think I saw you change the direction you were jumping in. When your in the air, you can change the direction you jump in to be less predictable. I don't know how to do it, I just do it with out knowing the controller inputs.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Well, Wario is not an easy character to kill. You pretty much want to keep yourself safe, take him to 180% with small attacks and surprise him from there with pretty much anything.
You were fishing for killmoves, so he only had to shield and wait for you to commit and punish.
Also, Shuttle Loop is not an excelent move against Wario, any whiffed one gets punished, so... you don't really want to spam it like that.
Overall, you played well, you just need to fix that killing mentality.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
-Tornado is not very useful in this MU. It has some uses, but it's not something you can rely on like against most characters.
-You Panic Spotdodged several times. If Ren would've noticed, he could've pressured more and punish you for that.
-Never, ever ever miss the Timer of the Waft. EVER.
-Aerial Grab Release shouldn't work in this MU, what the hell...

Plus what I wrote in the last post.

Hope it can help (:

Exdeath

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXoPkYrYyG8

Please help!

I had no idea what to do XD

(I'm soren)
I only watched game 1. Your control over MK in general is fairly poor and when you were feeling very pressured it felt like you were just kind of pressing buttons (e.g. the last kill where you Dsmashed just because he was near you and you wanted him away -- a common Wi-Fi habit).

My advice for you on the MU is a pretty simple flow chart: Do safe things at neutral like you were doing (e.g. retreating Dair and hitting Pikmin off) and then do one of two things (in your opponent's case, you only really need the first): Tornado if he does anything other than shield or retreat or grab if he's scared into shield. If you begin tornado, look for his shield on your way over. If his shield comes out, immediately retreat it and cancel it so that you can grab the ledge or just land away from the stage. If you have done this once then you will pretty much force Olimar to do something next time that you jump within mid-range. If he doesn't take any action to counter another tornado, with those being: Retreat, Up-B, or attempt to stuff it with an attack, then you should be able to just tornado any time you cross into close range and shut him down at neutral.

If you can't glide low to the ground then don't do it at all. When gliding low, glide until you can space glide attack to precede a dash Usmash from Olimar and still touch Olimar's shield. While gliding, keep your finger on an attack button and press it as soon as Olimar does anything; it will stop Pikmin and lets you Dtilt on his block (or if he rolls, frame trap him). At this point, you should probably Dtilt again to stop automatically shield grabbing and then turn around if he has rolled behind you without giving you the frame trap. If you're spaced so that you can't Dtilt him outside of Usmash again, Froll away from him. If you hit his shield with the next Dtilt, Dtilt or Ftilt if you expect him to attack/grab, Fair if you read a roll in particular and want to continue the pressure without empty walking, or just tornado if you expect him to do anything but an immediate attack.

Once you have hit him, assume that he'll whistle every string initiation and prepare yourself for the counterattack (e.g. fast-falling Uair, Uair>Nair frame trapping, etc.). Don't Up-B him in the air without a read.

You landed with air dodge away quite often, and it's a poor option in this match-up; his more powerful punishing options become more viable (i.e. purple attacks), it was predictable because you were repeatedly doing so, and it's particularly easy for Olimar as a character to time the appropriate punish.

This is not high-level advice but following this should enable you to defeat an Olimar of that level.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
There is... nothing much to be said, it was more like Ren didn't know how to recover against a MK constantly pressuring, and even lost his second jump several times for trying to jump immediatly. Plus he needs to work on his grenade game.
Well played from you, though, abusing Snake's recovery as you should.

btw, both of your deaths were silly lol
On the first one you didn't mash Tornado enough and the second one you tried to get fancy and got punished for it.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
sorry for double posting, but I had no choice :c

found another one!

looks like they want me to post 'em for critiques, and I like that ;3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SM7-tnNorw
It looks like the snake didn't know how to punish mk's moves. If he punished correctly every time, you could have lost that match. He had a very simple playstyle and didn't use grenades well. I don't know how to give you a critique for this match.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Please critique my matches

8bit (mk) vs Gado (snake) Final Destination
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEKsbYkrXUk
I can tell that you knew what you were doing because you made good decisions sometimes.
It looks like you used panic shuttle loops. It's a very bad habit to have vs good players who know the match up well. I had the same problem, every time I got scared, I would shuttle loop, and I kept getting punished for it until I stopped.
At 3:19, you shouldn't have run up to snake like that when you were at kill %.
Snake can be hard to fight when your at high % because his attacks kill early, but if you play scared and shield too much, he can grab you. And if he reads your reaction to dthrow, he can kill you.
It looks like you need better control over your character. I think you should play the level 3 snake cpu everyday (top metaknights say to play cpu's for 99 stocks) on different stages each time, and it will definetly help you have better control over your character. I know it works because that's what I did. When you play the snake cpu, you can learn how to edge guard him, learn combo's, and try new things.

Erodote

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone.

My friend, LucarioMaster, and I have been playing in doubles for 3 months. We are the "Egypteam" and we use Anubis strategy.
Both of us really love playing that strategy, LucarioMaster is the best french Lucario so he is a beast in 2vs1.
We managed to place 5th at our first big tournament beating top players like Deimos/Le Syd.

We would like you to criticize us ( but unfortunatly, these are friendlies so they don't reflect how we can really play ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD-B0CBQ6_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqvudk6MHHk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x844FApFytA

We hope we will be able to upload offline games soon.

Thank you :)

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
I can tell that you knew what you were doing because you made good decisions sometimes.
It looks like you used panic shuttle loops. It's a very bad habit to have vs good players who know the match up well. I had the same problem, every time I got scared, I would shuttle loop, and I kept getting punished for it until I stopped.
At 3:19, you shouldn't have run up to snake like that when you were at kill %.
Snake can be hard to fight when your at high % because his attacks kill early, but if you play scared and shield too much, he can grab you. And if he reads your reaction to dthrow, he can kill you.
It looks like you need better control over your character. I think you should play the level 3 snake cpu everyday (top metaknights say to play cpu's for 99 stocks) on different stages each time, and it will definetly help you have better control over your character. I know it works because that's what I did. When you play the snake cpu, you can learn how to edge guard him, learn combo's, and try new things.
Thanks a lot! I will practice with cpus again from now on

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
@ 8-Bit
I tbh felt like you did some really important things wrong mu wise. He had an pretty easy time to land or recover vs you. In this mu that shouldn't happen =$.
other then that you played pretty safe so that's good. But your landing was rather unsafe. You landed pretty close to him which is easy to Utilt or grab. Watch out for those arials when you try to land. And for juggling stay under him. He can't really do anything. If he throws out an move it's a free grab on the ground.
My advice is that you ask someone who knows the Snake mu really well what to do vs him. you also Dashed into his F/U tilt pretty often.
1 last thing and especialy vs Snake grab more.
My advice overal:
keep it safe until you got 1 hit and keep up the momentum. get him in the air and get him off-stage(a lot of thimes this can result in ASL)

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I see a lot of unsafe landing options. You allowed him to grab you a lot whenever you tried to land. another thing you did a lot was nadoing to him over the ground from far away. Don't do that vs Olimar ;). it's better to get close to him and then nado to him from above. and once he tries to land a whistle is obvious. make an kind of jump but don't do any attack. then wait for the whistle and nado him. That's a very good way to juggle Olimar. In the end of game 1 you kinda lost because you got kinda greedy. Try to stay patient and bait him into something then punish to get momentum. If I was you I'd also read some mu advice if you can find it on the boards.

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
Just some general advice. Don't land with aerials in front of Olimars shield. That got you grabbed alot. Same with tornado. Try to move away if you don't poke his shield. Also, instead of doing grounded nado, try to short-hop it instead. It's safer, and easier to shield-poke if you do that. Try to work on your spacing/tech-skill a little to. There were many times that you missed punishes that you could do, and you got punished alot (Particularly glide attack on block).

Exdeath

Smash Master
Reflex(Wario) vs DRN(Metaknight): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoyiblES6-0

Critique? ^_^
The only good Up-B that I saw in game 1 was the last one, and even then it was just a matter of the reward that he got from it being worth it. He should have replaced each of the others with Fair. Also, please don't recover from outside of the stage with Up-B; use Down-B instead. Into game 2, don't begin a glide until all momentum is gone, or else you'll receive a considerable horizontal momentum boost that can easily decrease your life span by 10% damage. Don't glide onto the stage if your opponent can contest it. Instead, cancel your glide outside of their maximum attack range and Down-B on-stage. To be more specific on Down-Bing on stage, you do so in a manner (the easiest is to simply recover at a lower 45 degree angle) that will sweet spot the ledge if it's available and land on-stage if it's not. Unless they grab the ledge before you begin the Down-B, you will either sweet spot the ledge or have frame advantage on-stage (this is actually a gimmicky way to bait a laggy attack and get an easy kill -- especially since people are more likely to commit with their DJ in order to "punish" this). Gliding on-stage and especially above a character like :wario: who can Uair you without you having an ability to so much as clash is a very poor situation. I can't make any suggestions on how to consistently beat good spot dodges (other than Neutral B and Nair), so I'm interested in what DRN's solution to that problem will be.

By the rough count that I kept in my head while watching, 5/7 of his Neutral Bs were punished. It's too valuable of a move to not make proper use of it. Learning to cancel it above FH height by fast-falling, to cross-up the landings when near the opponent, and also to slide off-stage so that :metaknight: will grab the ledge upon entering free fall should enable him to understand a lot of Neutral B's implicit properties, why it's good, and how to perform some of the basic executions of it. Furthermore, he should learn how to use glide attack by learning to low glide, to slow glide, to fast-fall it so that it's safe on a non-advancing block, how to use a glide cancel for mix-ups (e.g. glide cancel outside of their grab range and Froll behind them) and when to cancel it.

Most of the issues that I mentioned were rectified as the set continued, so I doubt that this advice is very useful. I also feel that it's necessary to mention that Reflex' baits were rather one-dimensional (I feel that dynamic baits are vital for :wario: in this match-up) and that together with his excessive aggression don't really give a competent experience for general :wario: and didn't enable me to see how DRN plays the match-up overall. I don't know if he still plays, but if he does then Micaelis would probably be better for an analysis.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Can someone please critique this? The quality is bad, but it's good enough to still be able to see what's happening.

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
Work on your tech skill. You make good decicisions, but your execution is holding you back. Work on your DI. I saw you die at times you shouldn't have. Take it easy with your recoverys. You have five jumps, use them. You got punished for pre-mature recovery moves. Good nados tho. May do something more in-depth later.

Top Bottom