• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] 3 Stock'd ~ Melbourne 2010 ~ Nope

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
tl;dr PS2 does some funky stuff, but it doesn't effectively remove options during their transformations.
If stages such as smashville, lylat and YI are freely (and happily) played on as starters with their platform cancelling mechanics, what's wrong with learning mechanics for PS2 that also improve/alter options?

:p

Splice

Smash Hero
so you're saying that because players are inexperienced in dealing with PS2 compared to Lylat, that it's instantly not as viable as a starter? I disagree with that logic, because any one player can say, "I'm not experienced on ******* stage, how can it be a starter?"

No I'm not saying that at all.

I am saying because players are inexperienced with PS2, it's harder to gauge how viable a starter it is because most of Melbourne probably don't have In-the-field knowledge. I'm sure you could put it as a starter this tournament to see, but we won't know straight away how good it is as a starter til everyone learns how to play on it.

I never said it was less viable because of inexperience, just that because of the inexperiences, I personally would have it as a CP for a little while to see how the whole scene feels about it. Whilst Shaya's divine enlightenment on the matter and everyone elses... comments, contain enough reason to make a decision either way, I think that we should see how it goes down for all Melburnians.

Also, slightly in the same vein, I believe complexity is something that makes a starter less viable, but I do not think it's really an issue here. People just need to play on it all. To be honest I don't even mean get good on the stage, but, actually just play on it like 3 times to remember how it works, at least, before it becomes a starter.

It's just a big move to go from banned to starter is my doubt, here.
But not my only doubt, to clarify, I still see that Lylats impact in the starter list is a better one than PS2s.

tl:dr 4 'tila: I believe that, in any case, Melbourne people should have PS2 eased upon them rather Banned>Starter, just so that they can be educated more to be able to go "hmm yeah well I see why it's better than I thought/could be a starter".

PS. Im sure some people know how to play on PS2 but do they know how they go against multiple other characters? In-the-field?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
problem with PS2 as a counter pick, which it was for about 2/3rds of brawl's life span,
was that it may have been used 2? times in the australian competitive scene (i.e. in tournament) as a counter pick.

Two times MAY be stretching it.
Really.

Vermy

Smash Champion
I've used it as a cp on more than one occasion. IIRC, I was on about <3 for PS2 before it was cool, and way back when you said it was horrible, Shaya. =]

Splice

Smash Hero
I'll probably use it a lot now that it's a CP tbh.

Rebirth for PS2 hopefully, plus scoot likes it lol.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah it was horrible.

BUT THEN I REALISED THAT I CAN BE ALL ADVANCED TECHNIQUES ON THIS **** AND

HAVE YOU SEEN MY DOUBLES?
(double TIPPERS THAT IS)
<object width="1" height="1"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V_eM6L571iw&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1&autoplay=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V_eM6L571iw&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1&autoplay=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Through the power of LOVE and STATISTICS I HAVE FOUND THE FOLLOWING:

People who have watched (and obviously enjoyed, jesus **** I want to marathon it right now) Haruhi Suzumiya season 1 and are pretty much oozing with excitement about when the movie comes out on DVD/bluray also LOVE POKEMON STADIUM 2

Here's some case data:

Andrew (Zero_ / kaleidoBooby) -
HARUHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
"OMG PS2 IS AMAZING"

Thomas (tedeth / NOOB)
"what's haruhi?"
"omg PS2 is the gayest stage in the world, how come jungle japes isn't a starter?"

Toby (tcranter, EMO)
"what, you want me to watch this anime? NAGATO? ISN'T THAT A CHARACTER FROM A TERRIBLE MANGA/ANIME...
OMG WTF THIS NAGATO IN HARUHI IS THE BOMBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
HARUHI IS THE BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED IN MY LIFE"
"ps2 is ****in incredible, I would love it if PS2 would hit me UP THE CLACKER. HARD. BECAUSE I LOVE IT.".

The data doesn't lie people.
If you like Haruhi, but don't like PS2, it obviously means you're lying to yourself / haven't tried out the stage enough.

earla

Smash Lord
cheers to dean for the fantastic meet.

congratulations on winning teams and for the marth tips.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Thanks Dean for hosting, I had a great time :D Congrats on winning doubles and being awesome at life.

~~~

Here is a tentative schedule for this Saturday. We are going to do Singles (Pools then Brackets), then Doubles.

Tentative Schedule

12:00 - Doors Open. Setup and Friendlies
12:45 - Registration
01:00 - Singles [Pools]
03:00 - Singles [Bracket]
05:00 - Doubles*
09:30 - Packup/Friendlies
10:00 - Doors Close.

* Doubles will start at 5pm regardless of whether singles is finished or not.

~~~

Pokemon Stadium 2 has been added to the Start Stage-Category in place of Lylat Cruise.

Pools will be out of 2 matches. Each player strikes 2 stages, repeat for the 2nd game.

~~~

Equipment List

Please bring all the Tvs and Wiis that you can, as it helps make everything run faster, and everybody gets more games.

Conor - Wii/Tv/Brawl

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
i don't even know how shaya is managing to convince people ps2 is as legit as he's claiming.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
i don't even know how shaya is managing to convince people ps2 is as legit as he's claiming.
I learnt all the skills from you, my master.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh and to cover myself for the future,
PS2 may be the worst starter stage in the entire universe, and ted may be RIGHT or something.
Beyond all the hype the main argument points are:

1. It was never played
2. Transformations don't break games. The way players/characters use them can be compared to platform cancelling on other starters such as lylat/smashville.
3. Actually finding out if the stage is stuppppidddd now rather than later :p (And from "second look" it doesn't seem like a bad stage at all. Mind you, I used to think it was "stupid" like others).
4. It's never too late.

Also I'm full of education. And education stops teenagers from getting pregnant and dropping out of school.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
just gonna put it out there thats snake's utilt kills about 10% earlier on the air transformation. get ***** world.

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
ps2 is a million times better than lylat. i dont even need to provide and argument because it is common sense :)

also thanks for the meet dean, even though i was only there for a little while it was still amazing!!!

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
just gonna put it out there thats snake's utilt kills about 10% earlier on the air transformation. get ***** world.
Yet the stage boundaries itself all of the time allows me to survive utilts at 120% :laugh:

(Survived a fresh utilt with marth with final percent being close to 130% in doubles against luke/ted on PS2)

tibs7

Smash Champion
survived a fresh utilt on BF at 135% get sooome. but then i lost anyway :(.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
survived a fresh utilt on BF at 135% get sooome. but then i lost anyway :(.
thats what happens youre getting ***** the whole match.

and it was sourspotted, AND you hit a banana on your way up. normally i kill you at 115% (you tend not to try to di it). not like shaya, who's di is pretty epic.

in other news, ps2 is stupid. ill be showing people how stupid on saturday.

tibs7

Smash Champion
nah wasnt sourspotted and banana wasnt there.
just madt DI was there

Nova

Banned via Warnings
You all suck.
My Fox > Tibs.
Until the last stock.
lol side b 0% wut da fark.
k maybe not; w/e. Fox is a **** character.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
cheers to dean for the fantastic meet.

congratulations on winning teams and for the marth tips.
You did most of the work tbh. My only real advantage in this game is that I've been maining my character and lurking the character board for close to two years now. I miss the Emblem Lord era :(
Also, double Marth is amazing.

PS2 didn't work too badly yesterday. It's almost certainly not in the most 5 "neutral" stages in the game, but I guess if the point of a starters list is to provide a "fair" matchup in as many character combinations as possible for the first game, it does a decent job of that. I'd be disappointed to see Lylat Cruise drop out of the current list though, it's probably my second favourite stage in the game :(

'sif toki has more posts than me

Edit: oh yeah, I'll bring a Wii.

earla

Smash Lord
anyone know where i can download dj eggz - to wonderland? vermy?

there was one link on filefront i think, but it doesn't work.

Top Bottom