• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] 3 Stock'd ~ Melbourne 2010 ~ Nope

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
May everyone please try to bring TVs tomorrow (along with consoles and copies of Smash as per usual), as all of the TVs that have been left at the convent since the last monthly are not guaranteed to still be there (this is the worst case scenario). I checked a week ago and they were still sitting pretty, so hopefully after this monthly, some people can offer to adopt a TV or two for a while, as I can no longer be responsible for what is, the entire Melbourne Smash Community's TV supply. It's too much for one person.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Stop camping Attila and you wont get timed out, but you might end up losing normally =/
Losing normally > getting timed out though

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
Pick up MK Attila, won't have to worry about time outs anymore :p apart from maybe Wario and Sonic.
Maybe you should go into the game as Snake with a mindset to time out the other player through camping, that way when the timer goes lower you wont mind so much. I do this against Warios and now I don't mind playing them anymore as MK.

tibs7

Smash Champion
only reason he or i would do that is if it would help mk get banned.
otherwise mk barely get respect from me, no offence to those that do play him.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
only reason he or i would do that is if it would help mk get banned.
otherwise mk barely get respect from me, no offence to those that do play him.
So you don't respect someone who is playing to win? MK is very fun to play as btw, I don't think I could go back to Olimar now that I have so much fun with MK.

tibs7

Smash Champion
no i do respect mk players but a very minimal amount. and only some of them. unless they are like m2k or something who are just amazing.

i respected you more as a olimar main gary!! what happened! T_T

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
no i do respect mk players but a very minimal amount. and only some of them. unless they are like m2k or something who are just amazing.

i respected you more as a olimar main gary!! what happened! T_T
lol, MK is fun as to play, even if there were no more tourneys anymore and winning meant nothing I'd stay MK/Lucario simply because I enjoy playing them the most. I like the type of mind games involved in both of those characters.
Plus you don't have to worry about getting timed out or planked. Which is very frustrating as olimar and lucario.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
m2k himself said that when he plays mk it feels most like melee, that's why he chose him
maybe... everyone should just play melee, there's 7 metaknights to choose from there (fox falco falcon marth peach sheik puff)

Attila_

BRoomer
Pick up MK Attila, won't have to worry about time outs anymore :p apart from maybe Wario and Sonic.
Maybe you should go into the game as Snake with a mindset to time out the other player through camping, that way when the timer goes lower you wont mind so much. I do this against Warios and now I don't mind playing them anymore as MK.
1. i have issues with using a character that is better in every way than every other character in the game
2. i think mk is far too easy too use
3. i like being challenged
4. timing people out isnt any more enjoyable than getting timed out imo

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Or Melee. I've only seen like, 3 time-outs in my six-year stint, two of which featured Sam and his Peach/Ness on Dreamland 64 vs. Feri, lol

tibs7

Smash Champion
yeah what cao said, which is why ive been playing melee like all week and no brawl. melee is just so much better.....

Attila_

BRoomer
yeah me and tibs have played about 3 hours of brawl since thriller. vs 10+ hours of melee :D

if super street fighter 4 is any good, i might pick it up. KEN!

Vermy

Smash Champion
Super Street Fighter IV is amazing. Play some friendlies with me tomorrow, a'. ^_^

CAO!!!!!
You too! <3

tibs7

Smash Champion
is that dee jay any good? i like him.

also i like that bruce lee guy hope hes good too. :)

earla

Smash Lord
@A' perhaps the fact you're getting timed out so frequently is also suggesting you play very defensively.

against scabe link, surely you could've been more aggressive ..?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I also dont see the problem with a match going to time if its just the match itself taking a long time.
I am pretty certain Scabe had no intension of timing you out, and it only occured due to the literal OMG A MINUTE LEFT.

Increasing the timer of course fixes that a bit,
BUT
time outs are a legitimite strategy that some characters HAVE to employ to actually be successful. Pokemon Trainer realistically needs to time out opponents to win (Toby knows this), Wario needs to time out high tiers because he doesnt have the abilities to handle them aggressively, Samus cannot get kills so it -has to play to time out-.
A LOT OF THE LOW TIERS used at a high level have had the most success with time out strategies.
they cannot win otherwise.

They can work their *** off to get a percent lead (which in all situations is more favoured towards snake) and then lose the odds and get hit once to even up or put them at a disadvantage (lol ftilt) or they can at least attempt to win the only way they conceivably can.

Ive seen several players use Fox and Jigs as time out characters in melee. Ive seen people time out ganons because they uber scared of that thing.
If its the most viable strategy against a specific character, and they cannot win any other way...

Now I know the MK thing is something you argue. But really, if hes above 100% there is NO reason to go near snake at all if he has a percent lead. Even against Snake MK has to work HARD to get somewhere, and once hes at kill percents, its too much of a risk to go for things, because lolutilt.

You main a supremely evil character Attila that destroys most of the cast if they approach proactively. If Snake moves towards you, he hardly puts himself at much risk. Snake is genuinely only at risk once hes in the air. But you arent going to jump towards a meta knight are you? Because I can tell you now, if you did that MK isnt going to run away.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Street Fighter has balanced characters, so there's no need for a character to HAVE to time out as part of their winning strategy.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
time outs are a legitimite strategy that some characters HAVE to employ to actually be successful. Pokemon Trainer realistically needs to time out opponents to win (Toby knows this), Wario needs to time out high tiers because he doesnt have the abilities to handle them aggressively, Samus cannot get kills so it -has to play to time out-.
A LOT OF THE LOW TIERS used at a high level have had the most success with time out strategies.
this game is competitive/fun how?
people enjoy timing people out and watching others time people out...?

Ive seen several players use Fox and Jigs as time out characters in melee. Ive seen people time out ganons because they uber scared of that thing.
the top players don't try to time you out, especially with fox/jiggs LOL
time out ganon ahahaha **** you're priceless shaya

Attila_

BRoomer
Brawl for doubles, Melee for singles, imo that's the way to go, 'tila.
perhaps. doubles is generally fun. oh wait, 2 timeouts at thriller...

@A' perhaps the fact you're getting timed out so frequently is also suggesting you play very defensively.

against scabe link, surely you could've been more aggressive ..?
i was aggressive. snake cant camp link. and i approached. he did a lot of running. did you watch the match?

and aggressive snake is horrible snake. aggressive mk is amazing mk. problem is, defensive mk is also amazing mk.

I also dont see the problem with a match going to time if its just the match itself taking a long time.
I am pretty certain Scabe had no intension of timing you out, and it only occured due to the literal OMG A MINUTE LEFT.

Increasing the timer of course fixes that a bit,
BUT

They can work their *** off to get a percent lead (which in all situations is more favoured towards snake) and then lose the odds and get hit once to even up or put them at a disadvantage (lol ftilt) or they can at least attempt to win the only way they conceivably can.

If its the most viable strategy against a specific character, and they cannot win any other way...

Now I know the MK thing is something you argue. But really, if hes above 100% there is NO reason to go near snake at all if he has a percent lead. Even against Snake MK has to work HARD to get somewhere, and once hes at kill percents, its too much of a risk to go for things, because lolutilt.

You main a supremely evil character Attila that destroys most of the cast if they approach proactively. If Snake moves towards you, he hardly puts himself at much risk. Snake is genuinely only at risk once hes in the air. But you arent going to jump towards a meta knight are you? Because I can tell you now, if you did that MK isnt going to run away.
being legit doesnt make them fun.

none of high tier need to time people out.

snake is bad at approaching, but ill do it happily against anyone who isnt mk/ics/wario or falco/pika at low percents. its more enjoyable this way.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Lol earl bro, playing aggressively against mk is like begging him to bait and punish. So playin overly defensive is pretty much the only way to play mk, kinda sucks but yehhhh.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
And the only way to play against diddy/snake is to be pretty defensive as well...

Remember, both characters can do an excess of half of MKs stock everytime they hit him [properly].
If I am meta knight and i have a percent lead, I wont necessarily run away from Snake, but Im not going to approach him... Do you think its easy to get past grenades, ftilt and utilt? !_!

Luke even without a percent lead just sits back throwing nades, and I dont go anywhere near him. I dont know why I should either.

Falco is a character that is easier to approach, dies easier, gets gimped easier and generally doesnt destroy you if you approach him unless you are at cg percents.
everyone loves approaching falco.
Dont get planked though :(

Could always use Marf, he has a sword n ****.
:p

earla

Smash Lord
once u see your opponent pick mk.. just forfeit the match and go play melee. will certainly speed up pools.

:laugh::laugh:

Nova

Banned via Warnings
*Agrees with Tibs & Atilla*
....Except the using Olimar part @ Gary.
Olimar IS the most boring character ever created.
I'd play more Melee but I can't find my disc and I live....in Adelaide (no scene).
I'll get better at it eventually.
As for Brawl meh I'll stick with Sheik/Snake, but I play aggressive with Snake and fail.
Melee I should pick up Sheik and some other character and actually learn stuff.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
I play aggressive anyway because its more fun =P. Doesn't help me win but its only a game, so yeah. You cant expect a party based game to be balanced. Just my opinion anyways, so no ripping into me plz. I don't time people out just because i only get to play mk the majority of the time. I will say that Melbourne needs to start more variety of character mains though, not this had anything to do with time-outs, but it does make the game zzzzzzzzboringzzzzz.

ohwell, brawl is broken

Might actually be going tomorrow if i talk to dad before then, probably only a 10% chance by the looks of things so meh.

Top Bottom