• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Bad D-air is definitely Marth and Lucina.

I want to say Falco but the fact that I've gotten high-up spikes with him... and the fact that it's a combo starter you've gotta at least respect this move.

Ness' seem mediocre as well.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
hmm...seems there's more bad dairs than i thought. it seems precise sweetspot spike dairs are the worst.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Bad D-air is definitely Marth and Lucina.

I want to say Falco but the fact that I've gotten high-up spikes with him... and the fact that it's a combo starter you've gotta at least respect this move.

Ness' seem mediocre as well.
Not even mediocre - Ness' Dair is so bad that if you actually ever manage to get an edge-guard with it, that's complete and utter disrespect. One of the the few Falcon-esque "HA!" moves Ness has.... And also almost certainly his worst move. :laugh:

It's such a shame too, that move was like top 3 powerful spikes in Brawl.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Not even mediocre - Ness' Dair is so bad that if you actually ever manage to get an edge-guard with it, that's complete and utter disrespect. One of the the few Falcon-esque "HA!" moves Ness has.... And also almost certainly his worst move. :laugh:

It's such a shame too, that move was like top 3 powerful spikes in Brawl.
"Ness has a strong kill throw in a game where grabs are important.

Ness has a bad spike in a game where spikes aren't important.

Ness will be fine." ~Some guy in GFAQs.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Marth's Dair spike on a grounded opponent combos into tipper Usmash for the kill. Even so, this is one of the worse Dairs in the game. Especially Lucina's. Even worse.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Marth's Dair spike on a grounded opponent combos into tipper Usmash for the kill. Even so, this is one of the worse Dairs in the game. Especially Lucina's. Even worse.
Most grounded meteors combos into stuffs. Samus' D-air spike to B-air is pretty legit. Samus' U-tilt to about everything is pretty legit.

Speaking of grounded spikes, have anyone notice how good Samus' U-tilt spike is? Meteors at just about everywhere within her leg, and combos into a lot of stuffs (U-tilt to U-air to Screw Attack would be scary if it weren't for the fact her U-air misses more times than a sniper trying to shoot a can from about ten thousand feet away (Not really caring the legit numbers. You get my point)). Falcon or Samus with aerial AND ground spike U-tilt would be pretty frightening. Imagine them keeping you in 2-3 U-tilts while giving out 10+% damage per pop AND can still combo into stuffs. Falcon doing 40-50% everytime he lands an U-tilt at low percents confirmed.

Sure, we tech those, but it's not like Samus or Falcon gets punished for a successful tech anyway.

Now I kinda wish Luigi's D-air spike grounded opponents.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The real use for Marth/Lucina D-airs is for hitting people behind you reactively if they do cheeky inward rolls.

But yeah, it's pretty bad.

Best D-air imo is a tie between Yoshi and Link.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Link's Dair is one of the better dairs in the game in my opinion, though Ganondorf, Yoshi, Falcon & Sonic have really good dairs as well.

rrrRandy

Smash Cadet
Just here to say a little about :4charizard: aerials. I know he's a bad character, but for the most part I'd say it's not because of his moveset. His Bair and Dair are definitely his worse aerials (mainly due to having >30 frames of landing lag and not autocancelling for >40 frames), but they have their applications.

The thing about Bair is that it's a massive disjointed hitbox that kills people. It's pretty much a smash attack in terms of its frame data, but as an aerial you can retreat while using it; it can at least autocancel out of a fullhop, and the ability to turn around in a mid-air jump gives it a reasonable amount of utility, since it's pretty much impossible to challenge with an attack, it's that big and disjointed (you can sweetspot a Wii Fit out of Jumbo Hoop without getting hit, as an example). It's a really strong punish tool in general; baiting moves and dodging with an extra jump into Bair is one of Charizard's few valid landing options.

Charizard's Dair is one of the strongest meteors in the game at 14% with 20 BKB/100 KBG, meaning if you actually land the move off-stage there's a really high chance they're dead. A key characteristic of the Dair is that the meteor hitbox is actually gigantic and extends a decent way up Charizard's body, because it doesn't have a sourspot; any hit during frames 18-20 sends the opponent straight down, the weaker non-meteor hitbox simply comes afterwards. The move is extremely useful against characters with predictable/no hitboxes on recovery. If they so much as clip their toes into your torso from above during those three magical frames, they're thrown deep into the abyss like goddamn the move is cheesy sometimes.

All that said, I probably don't know enough about most characters' Bairs and Dairs to rank them against Charizard's, but they'd probably be up there if not for the ridiculous amounts of lag on them. Really, a lot of Charizard's moves can be summed up the same way: "It's pretty laggy, but have you seen the hitbox on it?"

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I like Yoshi's back air though.
I'm used to complicated multi hit moves which if not given enough love and attention will go super tsun on you.

It covers "roughly" 16 frames, which can cover just about every air dodge or grounded dodge. And auto cancels 19~ frames after the final hit.
I think full hop falling usages or double jump rising usages allow for more consistency or "better" rewards.
I mean, it at least auto cancels on platforms like BF and Smashville, but sometimes that's not enough and who would still be airdodging into the ground?!
It's an ok move, just wish it wasn't something that almost took 3 seconds to finish if it hits a shield with all three hits.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Also among the best Dairs:
Rosalina
Villager

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Robin's Dair is bad unless you don't use it like a normal Dair. "Sourspot" of the Levin Dair, the horizontal hitboxes, kills off the side at 80%, and the move can true chain from weak hit Levin Uair at 40%. It's silly.

Bronze Dair is without doubt the worst Dair though.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yoshi, Villager, Link, Fox and Wario have the best dairs imo. Not only are those dairs solid by themselves but they also blend in really well with the rest of their moveset. Most other characters have dairs that just ... exist ... but are fairly replacable overall.

:059:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Just here to say a little about :4charizard: aerials. I know he's a bad character, but for the most part I'd say it's not because of his moveset. His Bair and Dair are definitely his worse aerials (mainly due to having >30 frames of landing lag and not autocancelling for >40 frames), but they have their applications.

The thing about Bair is that it's a massive disjointed hitbox that kills people. It's pretty much a smash attack in terms of its frame data, but as an aerial you can retreat while using it; it can at least autocancel out of a fullhop, and the ability to turn around in a mid-air jump gives it a reasonable amount of utility, since it's pretty much impossible to challenge with an attack, it's that big and disjointed (you can sweetspot a Wii Fit out of Jumbo Hoop without getting hit, as an example). It's a really strong punish tool in general; baiting moves and dodging with an extra jump into Bair is one of Charizard's few valid landing options.

Charizard's Dair is one of the strongest meteors in the game at 14% with 20 BKB/100 KBG, meaning if you actually land the move off-stage there's a really high chance they're dead. A key characteristic of the Dair is that the meteor hitbox is actually gigantic and extends a decent way up Charizard's body, because it doesn't have a sourspot; any hit during frames 18-20 sends the opponent straight down, the weaker non-meteor hitbox simply comes afterwards. The move is extremely useful against characters with predictable/no hitboxes on recovery. If they so much as clip their toes into your torso from above during those three magical frames, they're thrown deep into the abyss like goddamn the move is cheesy sometimes.

All that said, I probably don't know enough about most characters' Bairs and Dairs to rank them against Charizard's, but they'd probably be up there if not for the ridiculous amounts of lag on them. Really, a lot of Charizard's moves can be summed up the same way: "It's pretty laggy, but have you seen the hitbox on it?"
Not to mention fair, uair, nair...

Charizard is just an aerial heavy, isn't he? :laugh:

Anyway, I still consider Ganon's dair one of the best. I sound like a broken record, but it's strong, and has a wide and long hitbox. Land it, you'll be rewarded, miss it, and you may be punished.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Best Dair? Have we mentioned Kirby yet? I don't think it's the best in the game overall but it certainly has among the best reward (Yoshi's might be better).

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
i think :4lucas: has a good dair. its frame 10, doesnt have a finicky sweetspot, always catches airdodges since its so active, does alot of damage, can be comboed into from dthrow, can finish nair strings, and it sets up jab locks. its one of the weakest spikes, compensated by how reliable it is.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Link's D-air is an amazing frame trap. Aside from it being a meteor, it has a long active hitbox that is useful intercepting recoveries and may also be useful for taking advantage of the ledge snap vulnerability frame.

His U-air is also amazing for the same reason, but its purpose is better served for destroying air dodges. ^-^

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Lucas' Dair isn't the awful trainwreck people thought it was - FH Dair ACs and is still a reliable and relatively safe pressuring tool... On the first and fourth hits. Certain characters can just punish it though mid-use because the 2nd and 3rd hit have rather pitiful range in comparison.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Sonic's Down air is good for spiking someone when you do Down Throw and they are offstage. Bait an air dodge, spike and they are dead. Although... I would love to see Sonic Eagle. I loved that move in Project M, it was so great and was reliable.

Sonic's Back Air cancels when you short hop, peak of the jump and then you do back air. That's why it's reliable. Because it can auto cancel fairly easily.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
And buff Zelda.
But we need SOME character to be the running joke of Smash Bros! Come to think of it, Bowser has been pretty consistantly bad throughout all the games. I mean he's "eh" here but not more than lower mid. DK was actually decent in Brawl asides from DDD's infinite on him. Any other character than Bowser and Zelda who've been consistently "unviable" to put it bluntly thus far? Was gonna say Link but he's decent here in Sm4sh.

Sheik's Dair is pretty bad.
My friend, a tourney placing Sheik main, says he only uses it "for disrespect" because it's so bad.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Link was pretty good in the Japanese version of 64 too. I don't know about viable, though. Pikachu kind of throws everyone else's viability into question.

Mewtwo's been consistently unviable, though he did skip Brawl. Ness was consistently unviable until Sm4sh, though he was considered great in 64 until his recovery + range start holding him back.

Last edited:

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Future of Sheik is using dair as a landing tool when someone misses with an aerial, just saying. The disjoint is huge and the landing lag is tolerable, if someone overextends even slightly when juggling sheik, it's free.

Routa

Smash Lord
Hey... Mii Swordfighter has like Wario Dair... But better. Well the sword itself will deal nice amount of shiemd damage. In fact it deals so much that it will damage shield enough to make foes toes vulnerable to Dair's impact force.

Oh and I know my english sucks, but I hope you understood what I ment.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
His recovery was pretty garbage. Though realistically, no-one in that game was recovering at high level except Pikachu and maybe, just maybe, Kirby and Yoshi.

Japanese Link had the Utilt chains of doom, a better recovery, a longer sword and higher damage on a lot of moves. Boomerang was useful in combos as well. Although AFAIK it didn't affect his tier position that much, just kind of brought him up to the "viable" level and separated him further from Luigi and Samus.

Incidentally, Pikachu and Fox must be the best characters in the series overall. Fox probably ekes out the win, arguably being top/top/high-mid/top from 64 to Sm4sh. Though you could argue high in Sm4sh and even 64.

Pikachu's been top/high-mid-ish/high/top but he's better than Fox in every game except Melee.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Ike's down air went from being decent to terrible. Spike hitbox went to the tip when he usually has a sweetspot down the blade. Hitbox doesn't linger anymore. The only decent part of Ike's down air is it leads into resets at low percents with the spike hitbox and kills extremely early with the sour spot off-stage.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Incidentally, Pikachu and Fox must be the best characters in the series overall. Fox probably ekes out the win, arguably being top/top/high-mid/top from 64 to Sm4sh. Though you could argue high in Sm4sh and even 64.
Fox is top in Brawl in Japan so he has that going for him lol.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Any move that can immediately punish whiffed attacks from above your opponent is good for reducing opponents' options. Did they whiff an attack from below? They chase too far up? Did you double jump above their smash attack? These dairs provide immediate punish options in areas many characters don't have any. Opponents don't get to fish for aerials and smash attacks from below as easily like they can against other characters. These dairs are not very versatile in part because most of them are on already very option heavy characters, but I can hardly see them as bad. The niche uses are excellent at what they do.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
So I was labbing with DK (because what else would Nacho do?) and have come to the conclusion that DK's Dtilt is pretty much broken. There's 40% trip chance, so I got in the habit of Dtilt -> grab. That's pretty good to have for a move that comes out on frame 7 (active until frame 9 with disjoint and almost no endlag). But there's so much more you can do out of a Dtilt trip, such as Dtilt->Side B -> Giant punch, which is a true combo that does 45 damage.
@Man Li Gi

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
So I was labbing with DK (because what else would Nacho do?) and have come to the conclusion that DK's Dtilt is pretty much broken. There's 40% trip chance, so I got in the habit of Dtilt -> grab. That's pretty good to have for a move that comes out on frame 7 (active until frame 9 with disjoint and almost no endlag). But there's so much more you can do out of a Dtilt trip, such as Dtilt->Side B -> Giant punch, which is a true combo that does 45 damage.
@Man Li Gi
can this be done at % that kills?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom