• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
I wasn't playing for money. If I had been, the other guy wouldn't have been so inclined to show down his pair of kings on a board with an easy straight, and I would have made money. I just wanted to share a silly story in the hopes of responding to posts about it and increasing my postcount. Totally worked lol.

And if you're good at poker, you make money in the long run, although you can run negative for a while when you just get dealt ****ty cards. People who are bad at poker but get lucky are very likely to hand you back the money they won next time they sit down.

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't playing for money. If I had been, the other guy wouldn't have been so inclined to show down his pair of kings on a board with an easy straight, and I would have made money. I just wanted to share a silly story in the hopes of responding to posts about it and increasing my postcount. Totally worked lol.

And if you're good at poker, you make money in the long run, although you can run negative for a while when you just get dealt ****ty cards. People who are bad at poker but get lucky are very likely to hand you back the money they won next time they sit down.
Yeah. I did poker my whole last summer. Lots of ups and downs. I just didn't have a job or the money to be able to get through the downs.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
Ah. I haven't started playing cash games because I knew I wouldn't have the startup for a bankroll until I got a job. Now that I have one, I plan on setting a good $100-200 aside for poker and working with that. With good bankroll management, that will not only last me a good long time if things turn sour, but I should see pretty significant gains with minimal risk and variance. Multitabling .01/.02 ftw.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I'll consider asking about going to a fest or two if I can't host the tourney & don't make a(ny) syracuse tourny(ies).

But not this one. School is still school.

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
Ah. I haven't started playing cash games because I knew I wouldn't have the startup for a bankroll until I got a job. Now that I have one, I plan on setting a good $100-200 aside for poker and working with that. With good bankroll management, that will not only last me a good long time if things turn sour, but I should see pretty significant gains with minimal risk and variance. Multitabling .01/.02 ftw.
You'd be surprised how quickly you can burn through that and how quickly you'll lose patience with microlimits. So few people make money from online poker, compared to how many lose it.... it's especially difficult nowadays since EVERYONE knows how to play poker better since they started making it a nationally televised event.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
I dunno, I'm still gonna try it. If it doesn't work, it's about as much money as I could have thrown around on other entertainment, so it's money I'm not going to miss either way.

Also, people who know the basics of poker are easier to make consistent money from than people who barely know what they're doing. If they know the basics, they'll have certain patterns that are easily exploitable until they switch up their play, at which point you change your game to exploit theirs again (Hell, that's how you're supposed to play vs any decent person, it just gets harder to do). New players can be way more impulsive, and while there's a lot of money to be had, bad beats seem more likely since they play with nothing and hit the 2-outer on the river. Also, since poker is televised, newer players copy the pros without understanding what they're doing, meaning they'll do stupid things out of position and not realize it. IMO it's still possible to make good money at online poker, you just have to approach it the right way.

EDIT: @RTF, the cards you're dealt are less important than they way you play (or don't play) them. You can always fold.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
In the short term, P(luck) > skill. Long term though (lim t -> inf), skill > P(luck). Which is why there are professional poker players.

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
Those guys seemed pretty professional and they both got played. At a 33% chance of winning, a rock paper scissors tournament would be better.

I'm actually inclined to agree with you, but the luck thing isn't so much that it happens all the time, it's just that when you lose due to bad luck you tend to lose really big, but when you win due to skill you usually win really small.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
That's 1 instance, therefore not long term. They also chose to leave the entire hand to luck when they put all their money on the table with the minimum amount of information.

Just because a game isn't 100% skill doesn't mean it can't be competitive. Hell, smash has elements of luck to it in terms of success in tournament (Bracket layout, random stage, stage elements, controller malfunction, etc etc) but we play that in tournament.

Also, no one asked you to play poker.

Also also, how hard am I feeding the troll? Was my posting delicious?

EDIT: Best. Collar. EVER.

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords

I'm actually inclined to agree with you, but the luck thing isn't so much that it happens all the time, it's just that when you lose due to bad luck you tend to lose really big, but when you win due to skill you usually win really small.
Protip: An observation and a proposition is not a story.

You poker players can row, row down your random river and fight it out with irrelevant image macros all you want, but I've got the power of making absurd analogies and subtlety. As an (ex?)wow player, you might appreciate this video about balance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXX8URSUWm0

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
Protip: An observation and a proposition is not a story.

You poker players can row, row down your random river and fight it out with irrelevant image macros all you want, but I've got the power of making absurd analogies and subtlety. As an (ex?)wow player, you might appreciate this video about balance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXX8URSUWm0

Rob, I don't even play poker anymore. I just wanted to share a funny picture...

EDIT, also that video is mega old, I remember when I used to care so much about these things.

RTF

Smash Lord
Rob, I don't even play poker anymore. I just wanted to share a funny picture...

(Bracket layout, random stage, stage elements, controller malfunction, etc etc)
>Bracket layout
Let's round robin a 256 participant tourney. Also: A > B != > C is solved by power rankings etc.

>random stage
stage striking, also: no america, no eurafrica, no antartica, asia, dreamland, final destination.

>controller malfunction

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
I love that video, although locks are arguably the best pvp caster in the game now (Warrior Warlock Druid is one of the best 3v3 teams IIRC).

And I know I'm being trolled, but the best way to troll back is feed the troll IMO.

RTF, your arguments are breakfast.

EDIT:
1) no one plays RR anymore, double elim is the standard. Power rankings don't decide who gets paid.

2) stage striking means battlefield, basically. ****ty edge collision on that stage. May as well random.

3) I've had a controller break mid-match. It's not cool.

RTF

Smash Lord
I love that video, although locks are arguably the best pvp caster in the game now (Warrior Warlock Druid is one of the best 3v3 teams IIRC).

And I know I'm being trolled, but the best way to troll back is feed the troll IMO.

RTF, your arguments are breakfast.
No, you breakfast. Let's enjoy this dope remix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2hBap9NWNQ

Spoilering the irrelevant:
EDIT:
1)
no one plays RR anymore, double elim is the standard.
Power rankings don't decide who gets paid.

2) stage striking means battlefield, basically. ****ty edge collision on that stage. May as well random.

3)
I've had a controller break mid-match. It's not cool.
PR gives insight to the average income, and more importantly decides who competes best.

If someone sucks at BF, they should learn the stage more, especially if BF is the stage that is usually agreed upon (or they could strike it if they really want.) May as well random? *trollface* The only case in which I support a stage with moving elements are if they are predictable. Not much in melee is random.

It's your fault for using a breaking controller :|

You are still highly trollable.
QFT

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Hey guys! Me and jeff will be in crotchfester Thursday and Friday. Mostly to chill, but we'll be playing too of course, just don't have any expectations. Mostly just around to hang out and see everyone ^_^

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. I used to think poker wasnt competitive. But then I watched a bit of it on espn, and what stood out to me more than anything else was the people. for some reason theres a like 2000+ person poker tourney every week, and theres this dude named Phil Ivey, and hes one of the last 10 people to not get knocked out, every single time. If poker was random, he wouldnt be able to do that so consistently.

2. Melee is very random. Peachs f smash and down b. Game and Watchs side b, and air ceilings prove that.

3. also, I would like to come see everyone if possible...

RTF

Smash Lord
1. I used to think poker wasnt competitive. But then I watched a bit of it on espn, and what stood out to me more than anything else was the people. for some reason theres a like 2000+ person poker tourney every week, and theres this dude named Phil Ivey, and hes one of the last 10 people to not get knocked out, every single time. If poker was random, he wouldnt be able to do that so consistently.

2. Melee is very random. Peachs f smash and down b. Game and Watchs side b, and air ceilings prove that.

3. also, I would like to come see everyone if possible...
1. Poker: While I agree that there is some control in poker, the draws themselves are random. I'm not a fan of "who can random the best." Why can that guy only make top 10? If it's because of the luck of the cards, that's really lame to me. If top 10 or whatever number of players is a random tossup, I don't see much point in participating for the purpose of competition.

2. Melee: Those moves can be a gamble - mainly for the user. The outcomes (turnip plucks, 3 fsmashes, 2 luigi missiles, 9 judgements [and in all honesty we should probably factor in how little people actually use those characters/moves]) are all known. The recipient knows the outcomes of the moves, too. Combos/chains/links/frame traps aside, they are avoidable/counterable. I don't know all of the frame data, but there are substitutes for moves with multiple outcomes to accomplish the same goal (winning).

I don't recall seeing an air ceiling in my version of melee (release) and I do want to investigate exactly what triggers it in other versions. It's kind of important XD. As far as I know, the angle (outcome) is consistent. Seeing as how both players can seemingly avoid or increase the chances of it happening, I can't argue it's a "bad" thing.

3. I agree.

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
Phil Ivey does place consistently high. It's because he's a genius at the game and he's had a lot of very, very successful wins behind him. He's at the point where he can make a $10k investment like that and expect a positive return.

However, the final table every year is pretty much totally random and different. Last year's winner placed 78th. Granted, top 100 at the world series is a huge deal, but he came nowhere close to the final table.

Skill will only take you so far. Poker nowadays is something that costs a lot to learn and a lot to get into and consistently do well. The worst part is, everyone thinks they're the best at the game ever, and only believe it's a matter of time before they win the championship.

There were 7300 people in that tournament this year.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: "Air ceilings" are not random.

They are triggered by a combination of shielded heavy attacks followed almost immediately by suffering a high knockback move. It's some crazy phenomenon where you basically conserve momentum from one (it's possible to store the power of several attacks, however) attack and it alters your induced momentum when you actually get hit by another attack.

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
:yoshi: "Air ceilings" are not random.

They are triggered by a combination of shielded heavy attacks followed almost immediately by suffering a high knockback move. It's some crazy phenomenon where you basically conserve momentum from one (it's possible to store the power of several attacks, however) attack and it alters your induced momentum when you actually get hit by another attack.
Hence, why you see this happen a lot more in doubles matches.

EDIT: It's kind of like when you tech a hit on the stage, roll in the other direction, but continue flying off the stage for a bit anyway. It's cause the game stores momentum for a set period of time.

Top Bottom