• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
I personally feel that venue $5 dollars from that many players should have been enough to cover the costs of the venue for cyber storm. After that, I'd be comfortable paying more money for entry, like we used to do with arena. It might be that I'm more confident that I can win money in brackets than I used to be, but I won teams, second in singles, and barely made $55 dollars. I think $10 singles, and $20 teams (split between the partners) is the way to do it. If we are charing more for entry, it's going to encourage people to step up their game.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
lmao you sound like such a d-bag sometimes

all logic applying to this game and entry fees sucks

if its too low people wont compete hard enough to want to win = fail logic

too high means noobs wont even enter = fail logic

monetary encouragement doesn't exist for a lot of players because they won't win any money regardless and that really shouldn't be the point.

i only think about money all the time because i can't travel without winning it / getting my entry paid for

i play the game because i love it not because i can win tens of dollars.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
i play the game because i love it not because i can win tens of dollars.
I play it for both reasons. On a local level at least. On a national level I know I won't make any money, and that is where my love for the game, traveling, and the awesome people in the community takes over. Also that burning desire to in fact become one of the best who CAN make money at large events helps a lot. I don't see my fire burning out any time soon, I always want to improve, and I always want to make a name for myself in the community as an amazing player.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I personally feel that venue $5 dollars from that many players should have been enough to cover the costs of the venue for cyber storm.
What you feel 'should' be and what actually is is two different things.
After that, I'd be comfortable paying more money for entry, like we used to do with arena.
2. Things I feel to note about the "arena tourneys back in the day."
1. Arena is currently shut down and out of business, mainly because they werent pulling in enough money... Maybe if they had a venue fee (I dont remember there being one but I could be wrong) or a cut of the pot from their tourneys, it MIGHT have been different. It MIGHT not have been different and maybe nothing would have changed, but I dont think its the best idea to be taking our cues from a place that had to shut down the way arena did.
*sidenote: i loved arena and it was my favorite place ever, so dont assume Im just hating on the place for no reason.

2. Its a lot harder to run tourneys the same way we had them at arena because the arena tourneys (with the exception of BFWNY5) we only ran tourneys for one smash game. and we basically stopped melee tourneys when brawl came out, which changes the whole dynamic of how we have to do things.

It might be that I'm more confident that I can win money in brackets than I used to be, but I won teams, second in singles, and barely made $55 dollars. I think $10 singles, and $20 teams (split between the partners) is the way to do it. If we are charing more for entry, it's going to encourage people to step up their game.
My personal vision was to be able to show up to a venue with a 20 dollar bill and be able to have your fill of smash and a full tournament experience. Since most people in our area:
1. arent going to be winning money back, even with the extended payouts, and
2. Dont have enough money to throw down more than 20 bucks on something of this nature,
I think we should be catering to those people, which leads to lower entry fees and as an unfortunate by-product, lower prizes

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
There will be a HUGE smashfest at my place starting tomorrow night. Tournies for every event including random for both games, champions, teams random/etc. 1 dollar entry fees or no fees

altairian

Smash Lord
About the venue fee: the venue determines the fee, not us. Whether it's them charging x dollars to use the place and the TO needs to get that much to cover it, or them asking for y dollars from each player, the TO has very little control over it.

When the tourney was announced I wasn't happy to see it was at cyberstorm again, at SoY1 I kind of got the feeling we weren't entirely welcome, but I was really happy with cyberstorm as a venue this time around, honestly. We were given a much larger space, nothing was said about outside food/drink even when I saw people walking in with Arby's bags and such, and they even gave us some chips and salsa which was pretty cool (and that salsa was amazing o_o ). I'd say the venue was worth 10 bucks this time, the only thing we were lacking in was players to pack that place, and that's not their fault =)

But yeah, if you want a lower venue fee, find a cheaper venue, that's all there is to it :p

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
There will be a HUGE smashfest at my place starting tomorrow night. Tournies for every event including random for both games, champions, teams random/etc. 1 dollar entry fees or no fees
Just in case people dont really understand this fully.

Im pretty sure this thing is starting Friday night, and running straight until like sunday afternoon.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Even I'll be coming.

Syracuse I want to see you there especially.

Rochester, you know I'll be seeing you. Get at me in anything.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Also the people at cyberstorm gave me tons of nasty looks and guff. Idk if anyone else noticed but they really hawked my **** alot probably because i reeked like weed but so what

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
im probably the most virginised, innocent person you know when it comes to drugs mana, but even I know the difference between ciggarette smoke smell and the smell of marijuana.

You smelled really bad dude, no joke.

And it not like you work there, im pretty sure they have the legal right to discriminate and refuse service to whoever they want. It even says on the rulelist on the front desk that they can kick people out if they smell like they havent bathed recently.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
haha word. i gotta clean my piece out ****s black it should be clear lmao

edit: and i think smelling like weed is so much more acceptable than cigs or BO because weed smell dissipates surprisingly fast, it only lingered bc i had my piece on me a lot i shouldve had it in my bag but i kept needing it haha. that perfume angel had was awesome tho

Kantō

Smash Champion
i like the smell of weed.
thats why its used in many lotions/sprays/perfumes and stuff. mostly for women but pretty kool nuntheless.

EDIT: oh yea and are we ( Syracuse kids) going to roc this weekend or whats going on with that? im down with smashin at curas if not, i was just wondering.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
$20 vs $20 for entries isn't a monster of a difference. Arena failed because they couldn't bring in enough new customers, couldn't maintain current customers, and didn't get enough large attractions to bring in business.

Also, weed smell. I probably smelled like cigarettes, but they didn't say anything to me. I think both smell bad to be entirely honest, but I don't think the smell should be a reason should be a factor in a store owner discriminating unless the smell, like body odor usually is, is really offensive.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Cigarettes are legal, and I would find it hard to believe that NOBODY that works there smokes cigs.

Both do smell bad, but I only noticed the smell on you when i was playing with you, which wasnt often. But with mana, there was one time where I was in the middle of a convo with somebody on that couch in the middle of the place. and I literally stopped mid-sentance and was like wtf, gdi mana, cus i could smell him but I couldnt even see him.

This for some reason reminds me of something I had forgotten to say earlier. I dont think a lot of you arent talking everyone into account when you think about certain things. Example. Theres a kid thats in like 9th/10th grade, that I talk with on aim from time to time, if anyone remembers Riddle, the melee bowser player from around 08. He couldnt come to this past tourney due to prior engagements, but if we were to have another tourney at jesses place, people like him ( I know theres more than just him) wouldnt be able to come because hes at an age where his parents are still pretty protective, so they dont let him come to tourneys if its just at some random guys house. It has to be at a legitamate place. I think that was also the case with Zeldspazz at the last SS tourney. I dont even know if OMR and leet-0 are ok with going to jesses apartment for a tourney, since im pretty sure the only reason they come to smashfests at my house is because its a house and I live with my parents and I know them better than a lot of other people so they might trust me more.

What im trying to say is that while having a tourney wherever we can find space may be nice on the established players but in a few ways it makes our community much less accessible to newer, younger players. and I dont think anyone believes that we have enough people in our smash community

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion

This for some reason reminds me of something I had forgotten to say earlier. I dont think a lot of you are talking everyone into account when you think about certain things. Example. Theres a kid thats in like 9th/10th grade, that I talk with on aim from time to time, if anyone remembers Riddle, the melee bowser player from around 08. He couldnt come to this past tourney due to prior engagements, but if we were to have another tourney at jesses place, people like him ( I know theres more than just him) wouldnt be able to come because hes at an age where his parents are still pretty protective, so they dont let him come to tourneys if its just at some random guys house. It has to be at a legitamate place. I think that was also the case with Zeldspazz at the last SS tourney. I dont even know if OMR and leet-0 are ok with going to jesses apartment for a tourney, since im pretty sure the only reason they come to smashfests at my house is because its a house and I live with my parents and I know them better than a lot of other people so they might trust me more.

What im trying to say is that while having a tourney wherever we can find space may be nice on the established players but in a few ways it makes our community much less accessible to newer, younger players. and I dont think anyone believes that we have enough people in our smash community
This. I know for a fact my mom wouldn't let me go there because it's in somebodies apartment, rather than an establishment like Cyberstorm persay.

On another note, I was talking to my friend about playing doubles at a tourney today:

Blaze: So what, we're going Snake/Meta?
Me: And Peach/Mario, haha, just for random people, I suppose.
Blaze: Oh, okay, cool. Say, you any good with Falco?
Me: I'm black. ._.

Dr. Grandpa

Smash Ace
idk if theres atournament(nothing serious) just a smashfest we gotta train up for mlg and upcomin tourmanetns like (texas for san)

Snakeee

Smash Master
To find out if I was 100% Caucasian I took the "Falco Test." I realized I did not have any black in me after losing to Blackanese's Link on FD with the blue bird.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
I was probably the best white Falco player. Chillin doesn't count, isn't he some sort of not white?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
as far as brawl falco goes, the only white one thats any good (besides atomsk) is bloodcross, and hes still got 3 stocked by neil.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
sans gonna be there, and im gonna be there after smash club, and foys gonna be there, thats enough for brawl.

since we never do them during tourneys, we need to have:

1. ivysaur challenge
2. rochester vs nys crews.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Am I in rochester or nys?

I'll probably just be in nys to make it more fun if we do it.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Am I in rochester or nys?

I'll probably just be in nys to make it more fun if we do it.
id say your rochester since you go to more rochester smashfests and play with us more (not including day before tourney fests since he has to be at them to get a ride, buteven if we did id still probably say he plays with roc people more) but you should probably play witht eh nys crew, since it would be too one sided otherwise.

I believe establish crews were

TEG, !akiP, KID, Hulk/Dr. G, and XXX

vs

Snakeee, Cura, Leet-0, san, and Bry/sharky.

Top Bottom