• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

altairian

Smash Lord
How can an MM in any amount less than the grand prize be more important than tournament? If they were all $100 MMs, I could understand, but that makes no sense, those small change MMs can be held off.
That's why they say over $5... only 3 or 4 people actually win money in the tournament, but the PR is 10, so MM's being taken in to account makes sense don't you think? ;)

dudutsai

Smash Lord
BluePeachy: MMs over $5 are taken into account on many PRs. This is because when you have money on the line it will make you play as if you were in tournament. Since this can only be used to tell the difference between two players, it's usually counted less, or only used in tiebreakers.

But MMs are, and should be used.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
syracuse is anything happen saturday morningish of this week? i might be able to stop in for a couple hrs on my way back to oswego

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
BluePeachy: MMs over $5 are taken into account on many PRs. This is because when you have money on the line it will make you play as if you were in tournament. Since this can only be used to tell the difference between two players, it's usually counted less, or only used in tiebreakers.

But MMs are, and should be used.

That's why they say over $5... only 3 or 4 people actually win money in the tournament, but the PR is 10, so MM's being taken in to account makes sense don't you think? ;)
Okay, I'm sold. I was just saying they shouldn't be held over anything that actually is tournament, though.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
Not to knock 1337-zero, but to place him above Jesse is just insulting. That's not even **** riding, because we all know the player Jesse is.

Also, please update melee. I'll talk with mana and we'll come up with something accurate.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
leet beat jesse at ss2...

albeit, that was because jesse forfeited, but that kinda goes into the point of jesse getting knocked down cause he quits.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
So.... no spoilers because this is Gold and anyone who hasn't played Gold is an idiot like me.

But I just beat the Elite 4, and went to Kanto. This is what's going on right now.

Yeah.... you better be sorry Kanto. I'm comin fer your Pokemons :lick:

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Absolutely nothing. But the joke wouldn't work any other way.

Jigglypuff is horrible. Everytime I get ohko'd by something 20 levels lower than me it makes me want to quit.

But since when has being awesome been easy?

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman

albeit, that was because jesse forfeited, but that kinda goes into the point of jesse getting knocked down cause he quits.
And Jesse has beaten Chu Dat, does that make Chu Dat worse than Jesse?

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Hands down Jesse is a great player hes probably even better than my self when his game is on point. But hes forfeiting alot of his games/not trying/dropping from the last 2 events. We cant allow someone who somewhat inactive in brawl to maintain a high placing on the pr.

Its like if we put Ken as the best smash player right now. though he doesnt play, but in the past has beaten everyone. Doesnt mean hes not good but he cant be placed above players who are actively winning or placing higher and actually trying.

Foy

Smash Champion

10% Money matches.

You do this cause all you be winning is money matches vs. scrubs? Only way you can make it to the PR. More trash talk.

And ken is the greatest player ever of all time. Etc.

No more hate, i just got done with getting hated on my steffon.

Sharky

Smash Master

the first thing that comes to my mind is bry and sharky, to my knowledge, theyve placed the same in just about every tourney, and the only reason bry is higher is because the 2(?) times that they have played in tourneys bry won. if they hadnt actually played, we would need to look at other things to determine who is better.
Once, and I don't think Bry's ever beaten me in a moneymatch except for a recent PT ditto, other than that it's all been me.

yeah jesse forfeited, but 1337 definitely deserves his spot still, I agree.

edit: just starting up soul silver now, I'm totally disappearing off the map for a while XD

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
<3 Foy.

If it's an issue, then just label Jesse as inactive? We used to do that. I don't even know why I'm arguing, I hate brawl haha.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
tbh, we were going to label jesse as inactive and the only reason we didnt we because we couldnt find anybody that stood out enough to take that 10th spot... so it would have ended up being a 9 man pr.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
tbh, we were going to label jesse as inactive and the only reason we didnt we because we couldnt find anybody that stood out enough to take that 10th spot... so it would have ended up being a 9 man pr.
I'm saying do like I was doing before, they remain on the PR, but are italicized to denote they are inactive.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
I wanna get rollin on Gold, but unfortunately no one has patched the rom for no$gba yet (I have a DS copy, but I like keeping multiple .sav's and editing them for team testing).

Also, vulpix is top tier.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
You do this cause all you be winning is money matches vs. scrubs? Only way you can make it to the PR. More trash talk.

And ken is the greatest player ever of all time. Etc.

No more hate, i just got done with getting hated on my steffon.
Goggles ain't on that PR though. It's mostly money matches with people actually ON it that get considered too, I'd wager.

And this is why I do not and will likely never respect you.
Don't be hatin'~
I skimmed/read it, it seemed pretty legit. Verbose in number of points, perhaps, but, legit. You seemed pretty up in his face, so if he seems a bit up in your face too, it's probably unavoidable.

tl;dr: Maybe he seems too extreme because you're not catching what makes yer posts seem really critical? I dunno what he's doing wrong, and Goggles can't read minds any better than me; just moves.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
The reason Kanto is above sharky is cause kanto only loses to the top player usually. Sharky loses to top players but usually lower ranked top players. And i do believe last tournament he lost to some random buffalo kid Lol. no offense to buffalo you guys definetly repped!

Also the 1 tournament where they met up in losers bry did beat sharky and thus outplacing him. not to mention at The first styln on you tournament Sharky got 17th while bry go 9th. You do the math! bye!

hubble

Smash Ace
We could get rid of all this drama for the PR if we set up time periods and a pointed based system.

5 panelists for each game. Divide the time period into 1/4 the year, during each period players earn points for x,y,z. Add points up at end of period. Bam instant rankings.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
why dont you do that, and see what those rankings come out to.

they would probably end up putting artery clogger above myself, and my self above dudutsai. when tsai is clearly better than me and im clearly better than clogger (based on the matches that happened at this tourney.)

not to mention the fact that if you have a numbers/point system, you dont need panelists.

and there arent 5 people that i would trust to put forth the effort to make an unbiased list for either game. Theres only 1 or 2 at most, aside from the 2 for each game that I already have.

To be brutally honest, we could get rid of all this PR drama if people would just shut the hell up and trust me.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Why should we trust someone that skims money from his tourneys?
1. Run a tourney yourself, and then tell me you shouldnt be compensated. That mess is hard work.

2. I actually didnt take any money out of melee.

3. Why do you think im not doing it anymore?

4. I came out of that tourney -10 dollars since I caught a flat tire, and had to buy a new one the day after the tourney.

Foy

Smash Champion

and there arent 5 people that i would trust to put forth the effort to make an unbiased list for either game. Theres only 1 or 2 at most, aside from the 2 for each game that I already have.
Maybe instead of assuming that their arent 5 people you could ask if people wanted to be on the panellist.

Sharky

Smash Master
1. Run a tourney yourself, and then tell me you shouldnt be compensated. That mess is hard work.

4. I came out of that tourney -10 dollars since I caught a flat tire, and had to buy a new one the day after the tourney.
not trying to insult or anything, but the tire really has nothing to do with the running of the tourney. Also when did you say you weren't skimming the pot anymore, I guess I missed it?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Maybe instead of assuming that their arent 5 people you could ask if people wanted to be on the panellist.

Well like I said, I only planned to make a Brawl PR. and when I did that, I talked to a few people about it, 5-7 as I remember. and Cura was the only one who took it seriously.

Then afterwards mana approached me to make one for melee and he was the only one who stepped up. Vicious stepped up as well, but I dont think he makes a good panelist because I find him to usually be pretty biased, and last I checked, mana agreed with that sentiment. i could wrong tho.
not trying to insult or anything, but the tire really has nothing to do with the running of the tourney. Also when did you say you weren't skimming the pot anymore, I guess I missed it?

point 1. thats a fair point.

num. 2 i didnt say so. it just happened that way

Foy

Smash Champion
Steffon could be on the power ranking. I would want to be too. I've been in the community long enough and know almost everyone. And im not Biased. Besides that the melee PR should be:
0: Foy when he doesn't SD twice a match
1:Jesiah
Rest: Doesn't matter.

altairian

Smash Lord
I WANT to run a tourney. For the community. Not for the money. And I wouldn't be running around playing MM's while the players are busy updating my brackets and finding their next matches.

Well whoop-dee-doo, that doesn't change the fact that you took money out of the pot for yourself. Oh yeah, and you never actually said that money was being taken out of the pot in your tourney post, or where it was going. That's a very trustworthy action.

Not doing what?

Like Sharky said, that's got nothing to do with the tourney.

Another question, where are the accurate results for your tourney? As the TO shouldn't you want accurate results for your players? Even better bracket images so it's easy to see who beat who.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I WANT to run a tourney. For the community. Not for the money.
Lol. If I was really just trying to get money out of people, I wouldnt run smash tourneys, they barely make any money for me or Cyberstorm. Its just that the fact of the matter is, that if you do a job, you should be compensated for it.
And I wouldn't be running around playing MM's while the players are busy updating my brackets and finding their next matches.
Which match exactly are you talking about?
My match with sharky was before the tourney started.
My match with acton WAS a tournament match.
My match with san was when there were open tvs because the only matches that were being played were finals.
My match with nightro was the same deal.
my match with 1337 was because he knew he wasnt going to be able to play his next match anyway due to time constraints, and even if it wasnt for money he wanted to play me 1 times before he left regardless.
and my Match with cura was the next day at jesses house.

Well whoop-dee-doo, that doesn't change the fact that you took money out of the pot for yourself. Oh yeah, and you never actually said that money was being taken out of the pot in your tourney post, or where it was going. That's a very trustworthy action.
This is a bold faced lie, because multiple people complained to me about that arrangement, and they wouldnt have known about it, had I not put it up in the OP of the tourney thread.

Its my personal opinion that EVERY TO should be compensated when they run a tourney. You may disagree with me, but that doesnt give you the right to question my character.

Not doing what?
Aside from the RIT tourney that i told Pyro I would help him with, rochester isnt going to have any tourneys, since it doesnt have a venue or a TO..

Another question, where are the accurate results for your tourney? As the TO shouldn't you want accurate results for your players? Even better bracket images so it's easy to see who beat who.

bracket images and results are still on the cpu At cyberstorm. and I told you all I would be stoping by there and getting them for you.

I havent had the time to get back out there with my aforementioned car troubles. and on saturday night I was more concerned with making sure all of the cyberstorm equipment was taken care of and returned to its proper place. Maybe you have different priorities, but once again, that doesnt give you the right to attack my character.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
koj be on aim later tonight and we'll talk about melee pr.

there are some obvious changes it should be easy for the most part =)

Top Bottom