• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

flaw

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, Wikipedia gives the work as

W = \int_C F \dot dx = \int_C F \dot v dt

where W is the work, C is the curve being traversed, F is the vector function describing the force, x the position vector, and v the velocity vector.

It seems to me that the second integral (and probably the first) should always at least be solvable numerically.

Regarding your edit: I thought that in general, that integral was path dependent. Is the fact that integrating along the semi-circle and integrating along the line are equivalent just an artifact of the example you chose?
In general it is, yes, I didn't think anyone would notice. But for work, the integral is path independent if the forces involved are conservative forces (that is, forces that do not change internal energy or however you want to look at it). Actually, the definition of a conservative force is that the work done by that force is path independent. Look up adiabatic process. So throw any kind of friction in there and the semicircle path and the straight path are different. I don't think the wikipedia makes this distinction for some reason.

Those two integrals are the same. If velocity is just dx/dt, then substitude that in in the second equation and you get the first.

As for me saying it's not always possible, I meant more that in the real world this doesn't always work out so nicely. What if you have an arbitrary relationship between the vectors? I've done a lot of computational physics on real life problems so my first idea is to plug the data into a computer and let it do the work for me (no pun intended).

But if you feel that is untoward, I challenge you to solve the one dimensional case where you move a particle from -1 to 1 in a field with constant F = sin(1/x) (not sure if this is possible or not, i'm not a math guy)

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
But if you feel that is untoward, I challenge you to solve the one dimensional case where you move a particle from -1 to 1 in a field with constant F = sin(1/x) (not sure if this is possible or not, i'm not a math guy)
What do you mean by F = sin(1/x)? Do you mean constant direction and magnitude given by sin(1/x)?

flaw

Smash Apprentice
oops, sorry about that "constant", i meant direction. F = sin(1/x) in the positive x direction. Clearly the magnitude of the force here changes with position. And since F = qE for an electric field, say that F = a*sin(1/x) where a is just some constant for the sake of brevity.

I'll tell you ahead of time that due to symmetry (sine is symmetric about the origin) the answer is 0, but doing the math out without approximating is something I could not do at first glance.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Anyone familiar with MATLAB want to help me w/ my hw during the Syracuse Smashfest? Otherwise I'll try to go to the smashfest but will only be able to play some of the time.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
What are you trying to do with it? I used it a bit this summer, but I'm far from an expert.

Also, what time does smash club start tonight?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Smash club starts at 8 tonight, as always. =)

Also, RTF, I wish I'd seen that at 12 when you'd posted it, we could've smashed in my room instead of me sleeping. =|

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
Anybody live in the Steuben county area? I'm thinking about hosting something local in the near future.
I think you're at a crossroad of where everyone else is located.

Speaking of which, I kinda wanna make a map for our region given this.

KINDA.

In any case no one looks at the OP anymore so it wouldn't even matter :p

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Hello! I live in NYS, so I GUESS I should lurk this thread. >_>
Whats good dude, I remember you from the DDD boards

I think you're at a crossroad of where everyone else is located.

Speaking of which, I kinda wanna make a map for our region given this.

KINDA.

In any case no one looks at the OP anymore so it wouldn't even matter :p
A map of general player locations would be sweet. Can we get on top of this?
HUH?! YOU THINK SO? REALLY NOW?! CUS WHEN I WAS IN CHARGE OF THE THREAD WE HAD THAT...

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Sounds like somebody's grumpy and needs their naptime! :p
Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Besides goggle, why do you have to be in charge of the thread for you to do something for the community. Everyone is capable of making a map not just me.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Woah that Kanto person died? How tragic is that:'( I always wondered what would happen if someone died in the smash community(not always but once) and god I can't believe it happened to him. R.I.P

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
To cruddy people that dont care enough to take care of shiz.
We:
  • host and organize fests
  • host and [help] organize tournaments
  • attend Smash events outside of Syracuse

I:
  • keep tournament section/results updated in thread
  • make graphics (without any training/interest in graphic design)

I know I care. My apologies if that doesn't transmute clearly into caring about the community to some people (no sarcasm) <3

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
ahahaha! I love it :D Beta's is really cute. Minh's is racist ;P you should do graphics more for the PR! They'd look much better than mine.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
We:
  • host and organize fests
  • host and [help] organize tournaments
  • attend Smash events outside of Syracuse

I:
  • keep tournament section/results updated in thread
  • make graphics (without any training/interest in graphic design)

I know I care. My apologies if that doesn't transmute clearly into caring about the community to some people (no sarcasm) <3
This.

I meant to thank you and Cura for being so good to the community. I wouldn't be nearly as active otherwise.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
Oh I see. I didn't get it cuz I didn't put my mouse over the black bar.

Didn't you know could read stuff in those.

But that's funny.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
lol rob that pic. i shoulda been like that tap that shoots out fire or some ****. either that or a sink that sprays water in all the wrong directions.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Weren't there supposed to be videos of the crew battles or something? I wanna analyze how I played, and see what areas I need to improve in before AXS.

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
they would go in the fest thread if that were the case. I'll do what i can to make sure that the thread gets updated. I'll probably put a link to the Syracuse Smash Fest Thread in the OP.

WNY: if you guys have a thread for fests, I can also put that in the OP.

also everyone sig axs 3 :D

Code:
[URL="http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=310276"][IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/29wuzro.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Top Bottom