• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
Anyone have a new unused Gamecube controller I could buy? I'm looking on ebay but so far nothing good... I'd like to avoid buying the white one if possible because of the long cable.

As of today I have become technical. My controller's R button is malfunctioning :(
How are you doing SHL's with the R button?

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Id come to another tournament metal pat. I would need to know the date so i can request off but im fine with it.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
Id come to another tournament metal pat. I would need to know the date so i can request off but im fine with it.
alright, well hopefully i can get things squared off with the owner. i was thinking that if i couldnt get enough for nov 19th or 20th, that i would go for the first sat in dec (i believe the 4th)

other than that, the rest of december gets ****ed over because of school and finals and **** like that.

i should know by the end of the week if im going to be doing it/ when it will be.

thanks guys.

just as a tallying process let me know if this is correct
people who i can assume would go to the nov 19th if it happens
fran
cura (if you can get off work)
mako (im assuming by the post, this means you support going to 3 back to back)
vibe (since you live here)
zandaa (since you also live here)
ALT (unless you have work/other plans)
assumed 6-7 people from RPI maybe?
also calm if you wanted im sure i, or someone else could house you friday night so you could stay for the tournament, and drive home sat night (unless the money issue was to enter the tournament)

Erkekjetter

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I'd be down for a third November tournament. Asking for three straight weekends off doesn't sit too well with me.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
I don't think I'd be down for a third November tournament. Asking for three straight weekends off doesn't sit too well with me.
duely noted, and ill keep this in mind, but mostly i am not even sure if i am going to run both brawl and melee or not. this is stuff i would still need to talk over with the venue.
thanks for the input so far everyone hopefully ill have more solid plans by this weekend

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
Probably wouldn't be down for another tournament so soon. If you could fit one in December some time (like you said, I know finals/Christmas makes it hard) or January then I'm sure I'd come out.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
rob's got that constant force assumption
W = \int_{d_0}^{d_1} F(x) dx

Assuming the force is in a constant direction (because I haven't taken physics since high school and I don't want to think about how to account for force vectors with a variable direction).

flaw

Smash Apprentice
W = \int_{d_0}^{d_1} F(x) dx

Assuming the force is in a constant direction (because I haven't taken physics since high school and I don't want to think about how to account for force vectors with a variable direction).
Well, if the force is in a different direction but still constant throughout the distance, the dot product would make it (F)(d)(cos0) where theta is the angle between the force and the distance. (0 = theta here)

In the case of variable direction but constant force, consider a constant electric field pointing to the right. You move a point charge in a perfect circle inside of this field. Force is constant so pull it out of the integral. Now you have integral cos(0)dx. Here dx is just an arc length, so dx=(R)(d0) where R is the radius. You must also change the bounds, from 0 to 2pi. Now integrate cos(0)d0 from 0 to 2pi. sin(2pi) - sin(0) = 0, of course the answer here is 0 since there is no displacement after completing the circle.

EDIT: Consider a half-circle (0 to pi) instead and see what you get. Note that this is the same as just doing a straight line of length 2R perpendicular to the force.

Now if the force is also dependent along the integrated space, you must also determine how to change variables so that you can represent all of the changes using just one variable (then integrate). This is not always possible of course :)

huMps

Smash Ace
Well, if the force is in a different direction but still constant throughout the distance, the dot product would make it (F)(d)(cos0) where theta is the angle between the force and the distance. (0 = theta here)

In the case of variable direction but constant force, consider a constant electric field pointing to the right. You move a point charge in a perfect circle inside of this field. Force is constant so pull it out of the integral. Now you have integral cos(0)dx. Here dx is just an arc length, so dx=(R)(d0) where R is the radius. You must also change the bounds, from 0 to 2pi. Now integrate cos(0)d0 from 0 to 2pi. sin(2pi) - sin(0) = 0, of course the answer here is 0 since there is no displacement after completing the circle.

EDIT: Consider a half-circle (0 to pi) instead and see what you get. Note that this is the same as just doing a straight line of length 2R perpendicular to the force.

Now if the force is also dependent along the integrated space, you must also determine how to change variables so that you can represent all of the changes using just one variable (then integrate). This is not always possible of course :)
Is it bad that this makes absolutely no sense to me? But if he were to say " Ya, just shffl those dairs" ,or "make sure to keep those short hop lasers close to the ground" or "You either gotta sweet spot or tech." I'd know exactly what he was talking about.

so who are the real nerds here?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
awwwww... you were supposed to go into this long tirade of possible setups that were character and % dependant so that I could call you a nerd.

you fall for my baits way better in game.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, Wikipedia gives the work as

W = \int_C F \dot dx = \int_C F \dot v dt

where W is the work, C is the curve being traversed, F is the vector function describing the force, x the position vector, and v the velocity vector.

It seems to me that the second integral (and probably the first) should always at least be solvable numerically.

Regarding your edit: I thought that in general, that integral was path dependent. Is the fact that integrating along the semi-circle and integrating along the line are equivalent just an artifact of the example you chose?

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
For the people coming to the fest this weekend, there wont be donuts. Habitat for Humanity took them tonight. Sorry!

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
practice all, frannie needs someone good to play ppl with her. I suck at it. (though im still second best in syracuse :D!)

Top Bottom