• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking $5 myself. Putting $20 on a video game 1v1 match just feels kinda weird to me. I don't even think I'd do it against someone I can beat 99.9% of the time. I'm sorry, but there's just way more efficient ways to make money aside from waiting for a reasonably large tourney every half a year.

My top priority is beating the player. The money is just an added benefit. And oh yeah, people seemingly don't try unless there's money involved, so I wanna motivate them to play at their best.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@James. Some people do do that. Like I said, its what ever you feel comfortable with. Also, I could go over our entire matchup history but the past is inconsequential. Only thing that matters is the present and the future. This match is the end all be all, and I dont plan on bringing up any of our previous experience after this.

@tgs. Im actually decent at the matchup now, so definitely.

@ tiger. why would I wager more on a money match than I would even make at the rinky dink tournament that I would play it at? That being said, No matter how confident I am or maybe in any particular matchup, Im not going to do a money match for more money than I have.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Alright yeah, I like that mindset. Let's drop the past and get ready for the next set.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
So that being said, I main sonic. and I second Falco/Fox. Those are my tournament characters. You can restrict me to one or two, or open up the whole cast, in which case I may go ddd game one. but like i said, its what ever you wanna do.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
I'm thinking $5 myself. Putting $20 on a video game 1v1 match just feels kinda weird to me. I don't even think I'd do it against someone I can beat 99.9% of the time. I'm sorry, but there's just way more efficient ways to make money aside from waiting for a reasonably large tourney every half a year.
@ kid, this. ive never put more than 5 on a mm no matter how confident i was. which is why i mentioned 5. but since i have been talking so much **** and really do wanna do this, i offered 10 as the max if you seriously are so headstrong on $20.

i really just want to know who is the better player between us. and if the option is open did you want to lock our characters as well, you just as sonic? or leave it open to switch?

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
I hope you guys do the mm$ at AXS3. Maybe we'll put it on the projector depending on what's going on.

We probably won't use the big TV that it splits to for that though since it's really, ridiculously, large.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
If this happens, its going to be happening on my set up, since thats the only way ill know for sure that its going to get recorded, and put up on youtube. since San will most likely be uploading vids for me en masse, after this event.

I have legit hax tho. (All bright stages and colorful characters that are fun, yet not distracting to gameplay.) So if you want to put that on the projector, than for sure.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Jaiye

Its probably the only smashers name ive been able to remember the first time I heard it. aside from stuff that was actually based on their names, like Jesiah and Foy.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I finally synced up your smashboards name and tag (dark?), but I can never remember your name. Goggles told me and all I heard was ioaough :c

Teams were ridiccccccccc!
Actually, my new tag is ShroudedOne. I decided it a while back, cause dark is kinda common, and doesn't have the same, cheesy ring to it that this one does. :)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you probably dont want my opinion. but here it is anyway.

drop the One part, it makes it sound like youre trying to garner unnecessary attention to yourself.

Shrouded puts forth the same impression. with out making you look like a batman wanna be

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I've considered it, actually. I dunno. Shrouded seems like there should be more there, though.

Shrouded. It's nice as a nickname, or a shortening of my tag. I've been referred to as Shrouded many times, so that's fine. But for my actual tag, I think ShroudedOne feels better.

Sharky

Smash Master
Just letting people shortening it on their own is fine too, I mean there are a lot of people who are mainly known for a shortened version of their tag.

huMps

Smash Ace
Kyle and a few other people still call me Soma. I really don't like being called by my account name, but I know that some people like to, that's why I changed it to something derived from my real name. But Bobby is still preferable.

BTW who's going to RIT on saturday?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
When I meet you, I'll be sure to call you the One.
Haha. That'd be awesome. I actually laughed out loud when I read that. :bee:

I'll call you Neo
Neo? I don't disapprove. Maybe my match tag could be "Neo?" =)

Kyle and a few other people still call me Soma. I really don't like being called by my account name, but I know that some people like to, that's why I changed it to something derived from my real name. But Bobby is still preferable.

BTW who's going to RIT on saturday?
I will be. And cause I'm a dummy, I only posted about the smashfest in one place.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=311197

If anyone who doesn't live too far away feels like coming down to Rochester for a Smashfest, you get to see how good upstate NY really is. =D

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
samasan on the boards... tao vhal or tao mostly at tournies or online stuff... and jeff irl. he lives in rochester now i hope to visit everyone soon once i get a second job and spare cash

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
is huMps, an anagram of your last name or something?

If anyone who doesn't live too far away feels like coming down to Rochester for a Smashfest, you get to see how good upstate NY really is. =D
spoilers
we're bad.
samasan on the boards... tao vhal or tao mostly at tournies or online stuff... and jeff irl. he lives in rochester now i hope to visit everyone soon once i get a second job and spare cash
oh? how come he hasnt hit anybody up to chill yet? I wanted to hear all his stories about going to japan and such. where does he live specifically?

Naw like gears of war silverbacks. Damn tommy, get out side more.
get outside more...
=
understand videogame references?

does not compute

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
I had a major Derp today. I realized that I, well quite frankly, suck at Brawl. I think I'm going to put some serious work in on getting better. I plan on making as many tournaments as possible and getting some serious advice on how to improve my game, cause I'm sick of being awful.

But here's the real Derp. I noticed, that I focus too much on my own character while I'm playing. From what I gather, that's one of the worst things to do. Gawd I feel stupid. And guys, if this is the kind of thing that you don't think belongs in this thread, please reprimand me.

Oh, and I'm not dead.

EDIT: And my avatar of The Fabulous Sparkly Demon Lord Debbie Ghirahim is epic.

Top Bottom