• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Jeremy and Matt- That's wtf I'm talkin bout. WNY comin together, worrddd

Bobby- Yessssss, can't freakin wait dude. I have some new Marth stuff to teach you :) Also super excited to see your improvements

Spamus- Haha my bad man. Idk, I may hold them once a month but I may not need to. This year is looking AMAZING for WNY Smash. We have EGS and Smash Club twice a Week, shrouded one is holding smashfests once a month, and then I might hold it once a month, or maybe twice a month and of course we're looking into starting monthly tournies too so it could be looking really really good.

This year I wanna focus on 2 main things for WNY, and really put more effort into all of these:

*More tournies attended by WNY as a region, so like 2-3 cars of all of us, going OOS having crazy adventures and ****** other regions
*Significant Improvement- Start getting other players' names out there in the Smash Scene, hopefully we can do this with smashfests

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
speaking of power leveling, i'm thinking of tabling for AXS 3 at one of Syracuse University's student centers weeks before the event. I'm thinking first two people who beat me in Melee/Brawl (two from each) get free entry (still pay venue).

Except, I don't want to lose. I'm hoping people at SU aren't high caliber. :x

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to let myself miss this, Jesse. Definitely going. And I have a TV and a Gamecube w/Melee disc, so that'll help out with setups.

Heh heh. Well, we'll see how the first "official" RIT smash fest goes, and if it goes really, we'll continue. Bi-weekly would be optimal, I think, but I might be a little optimistic on that. The pressure is on, now.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
speaking of power leveling, i'm thinking of tabling for AXS 3 at one of Syracuse University's student centers weeks before the event. I'm thinking first two people who beat me in Melee/Brawl (two from each) get free entry (still pay venue).

Except, I don't want to lose. I'm hoping people at SU aren't high caliber. :x
This reminds me, I had an idea.

What would be cool to do is some kind of smash event for charity in a similar format to this. How I figured it'd go is we'd have tables (or a table) set up. People would pay a dollar to play someone. The dollar would go straight to charity. If they won, we'd give them 5 or 10 dollars out of our own pocket. The dollar would still go to charity. As another element they could enter with 2 dollars to force us to chose random. I feel like college kids out of the smash scene wouldn't be good enough to beat us really at all. We could get hype for tournament (or potentially destroy hype, idk which would happen) and raise money for some charity.

We'd play with official rules so as not to get screwed by final smashes and stuff like that. And after a little while of tables set up in an area one might be able to make a pretty good amount.

Just a fun idea I thought of the other day.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

What would be cool to do is some kind of smash event for charity in a similar format to this. How I figured it'd go is we'd have tables (or a table) set up. People would pay a dollar to play someone. The dollar would go straight to charity. If they won, we'd give them 5 or 10 dollars out of our own pocket. The dollar would still go to charity. As another element they could enter with 2 dollars to force us to chose random. I feel like college kids out of the smash scene wouldn't be good enough to beat us really at all. We could get hype for tournament (or potentially destroy hype, idk which would happen) and raise money for some charity.

We'd play with official rules so as not to get screwed by final smashes and stuff like that. And after a little while of tables set up in an area one might be able to make a pretty good amount.

I pretty much did this exactly this at a Rochester tourney a while back.

I had a 20 dollar bill and I told everyone I would give it out to the first person not in the top 5 of the PR at the time, to beat me, but they had to pay a dollar to play me.

I did it because I showed up too late to actually enter the tournament.

Left that tourney with 11 dollars to donate to the 'KID needs to eat' Foundation.

As I remember that was the only time ive actually put in the effort to play My main against James G (I wasnt bout to throw away 20 bucks on sandbagging) and as I recall, it resulted in 2 Convincing 2-0 sets in my favor.

Expect this scenario to repeat itself at AXS

eeveee

Smash Journeyman

Might be something I could work out. I put myself up to table and challenge people because they will probably think I'm not very skilled at the game and don't know anything about it. As per the last two events, we will be raising money for charity. AXS previously donated to a local food charity; AXS2 venue fees went to Relay for Life. This time we will be donating to the Hurricane Irene victims in the area.

I had a 20 dollar bill and I told everyone I would give it out to the first person not in the top 5 of the PR at the time, to beat me, but they had to pay a dollar to play me.

Left that tourney with 11 dollars to donate to the 'KID needs to eat' Foundation.

As I remember that was the only time ive actually put in the effort to play My main against James G (I wasnt bout to throw away 20 bucks on sandbagging) and as I recall, it resulted in 2 Convincing 2-0 sets in my favor.

I hope you and the rest of western New York can make it to AXS3.

huMps

Smash Ace
Looking for some advice/tips. I've been able to play alot more than usual lately and I was wondering if those of you who I've been playing ( RTF, Foy, Anub, Flaw, Pyro, Shrouded One) could kind of critique me?

I'll note that I have to get better at edge guarding right now. Especially against high illusions. Thanks (hopefully):oneeye:

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
Looking for some advice/tips. I've been able to play alot more than usual lately and I was wondering if those of you who I've been playing ( RTF, Foy, Anub, Flaw, Pyro, Shrouded One) could kind of critique me?

I'll note that I have to get better at edge guarding right now. Especially against high illusions. Thanks (hopefully):oneeye:
I think you should work the most on Marth's situations: upthrow followups, edgeguarding, when you're below me and I'm on a platform. In other words, instead of doing 20 to 50% frequently, you could be taking stocks that frequently. The rest of it is avoiding bad situations and/or keeping yourself in a good one.

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace

No scenario is gonna repeat itself at AXS 3. Cause I'm gonna win. If I come.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Do it Goggles. I'd be glad to take your $20 at AXS. It's not like I'm getting money any other way except if someone good will consider teaming with me for doubles.

Your Sonic is free ever since I got out of my beginner stage. But let's face it, you won't use him. You'll practice some other character for a few weeks to try and exploit my main weakness: matchup ignorance.

Regardless, I'll be prepared for anyone you have lined up for me.

:)

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium

I'm not sure if I know you by tag, but I know who you are. You use Marth. I'm not sure if it's blue Marth, or what, but you use Marth.

Critique. Uh...don't let Peach frustrate you. :) Stay calm. And the most annoying thing to her is the range you have in that MU. Abuse it. And edge guard her HARD (which you already know).

I don't have anything else, though.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Pat, you're such a ******.

Also. I won't be at RPI smash club this week. I want to test a few things the following week if Vibe or Pat wants to help.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i kinda feel like doing 20 with since im more confident that our match will get canceled again than i am that ill actually beat you lol.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I thought it was like at Rochester where I put up one dollar and you put your $20 on the line. Regardless, looking forward to the matches!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I only do that for people that have no chance of beating me, youve been saying youre better than me since forever. now your chance to prove it. 20 dollars, best of 5. on my wii, so every match is recorded, if you beat me I will never deny that you are better than me ever again.

pat, thats just the worst cop out ever, and I would know, since I use it all the time, and i only say that when im afraid of losing.

I have absolutely ZERO fear of losing to either of you, so Im willing to put my money where my mouth is. If you 2 arent... Well I guess that just says something about your characters then.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
I don't usually just go out and say I'm better than people for no apparent reason.

My reasoning was beating you in 3 tournament sets in a row, first at Syracuse Smash 2 then Syracuse Smash 3 (sorry if I go the numbers wrong), and also at Cura's smashfest. Then things started to turn around when you beat me 2nd set at Cura's smash fest and also at that one Rochester one, went back and forth in a couple of money matches, and I started to say we're around even.

I don't really know who is better at this point, because it's been months since we last played. I may even be worse than I was before because of my inactivity. I'm really not sure. But at one time I definitely felt I had a bit of an edge on ya.

Alright let's get a realistic. I had a legitimate shot at beating you in those money matches. Yeah, I wasn't really that good yet, but I beat you in my first tourney before those money matches. I think it would be more fair to say that I had a good chance but I just got outplayed in those particular sets.

And alright, but I would like to know the criteria first. All Lucario vs Sonic? What is the deal?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Its up to you. I main sonic, and I play falco and fox as secondaries. These are my tournament characters. As far as I remember, you havent beaten any of them. Feel free to lock me into a character, lock me into 2 characters or open up the whole cast. Ill let you know right now. If you dont lock me into a character, Ill probably go DDD first game again. But its 100% up to you and whatever you feel comfortable with, im up for anything.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Well what do you mean by beaten? If you mean in tournament I haven't gotten that much of a chance. Your Fox faced me once on Frigate in tourney and beat me. Your Falco faced me once on Brinstar and beat me. I haven't faced your Sonic in tournament.

I've played around with these characters in friendlies, and have beaten them all at least once except maybe falco. Despite that you may or may have not been playing seriously, I grew comfortable enough with them so that I am confident to face any of them in the real deal.

If you're referring to some $1 money matches then yes. I didn't know they were that serious since we were basically going random neutral stages from what I remember (correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't we go to Delfino even after you had a 1-0 lead in one mm? I would never pick that stage, which leads me to believe we were going randoms lol). Not to degrade you in any way, you beat me 100% those matches, but if more money is on the line, I would go by standard rules and cp system.

And no, I don't care about locks, I just thought that's what people do in money matches: "character vs character" money match is what I always hear people say.

Top Bottom