• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Does anyone live in upstate NY / Rochester area? I'm visiting with a couple of friends there this week (Roadtripping from El Midwest) and was wondering if anyone would like to smash.

1. do you play brawl or melee?
If you play melee, you are going to want to get in touch with the poster directly above you.
If you play brawl, youre going to want to set something up with me.

2. San, that PA Ike main just moved to henrietta like yesterday, we can probably set something up with him at some point. I havent seen you or Nick in forever.

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
So already I've had two ideas on how to start revitalizing the upstate NY community. I think both would be really fun.

1. Hosting a Melee tournament, at the same time and place as a MvC3 tournament. Challenge the MvC3 kids to a kickball game afterward. We'd own their faces.

2. Get a community road trip organized, even if it's just 4-5 people. I want to find a tournament in places like Virginia, North Carolina, or even going out as far West as possible, to Arizona or North California. We'll present the case that upstate NY still has capable and dedicated players to Melee who still want to push the metagame and break into the national scene. Think of what that could do for the community's national presence, and it would show that Melee is still the powerhouse game it always was and still has room to grow.

That would be damn epic.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
I lost to Jtails (played diddy and toon link; yay no matchup experience) and Dill (played Rob. I got hit by every laser and gyro, kind of impressive in a sort of terrible way).

Beat M2k and Lie in friendly doubles with False. Maybe just maybe they were ****ing around lol.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
I lost to Jtails (played diddy and toon link; yay no matchup experience) and Dill (played Rob. I got hit by every laser and gyro, kind of impressive in a sort of terrible way).

Beat M2k and Lie in friendly doubles with False. Maybe just maybe they were ****ing around lol.
TL is such a pain in the ***. along with Samus. at least if you play contact characters like ganon. god i hate them >_>

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
So already I've had two ideas on how to start revitalizing the upstate NY community. I think both would be really fun.

1. Hosting a Melee tournament, at the same time and place as a MvC3 tournament. Challenge the MvC3 kids to a kickball game afterward. We'd own their faces.

2. Get a community road trip organized, even if it's just 4-5 people. I want to find a tournament in places like Virginia, North Carolina, or even going out as far West as possible, to Arizona or North California. We'll present the case that upstate NY still has capable and dedicated players to Melee who still want to push the metagame and break into the national scene. Think of what that could do for the community's national presence, and it would show that Melee is still the powerhouse game it always was and still has room to grow.

That would be damn epic.
road trip is stupid, you leave people out, and then it's just 4-5 people who get good, and everyone else still sucks.

host a brawl and melee tourney so you can get the whole region.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i think the thing people arent getting here is that unless you have ********, reaching obsessive levels of dedication, like me or Jesse, just holding a bunch of tournaments doesnt make people better.

For most people, its about having a sence of community. There was a point in time, probably about a year ago. Where a lot of people got a LOT better at melee. Foy, Steffon, Minh, Amber, Spamus, and even myself. There was a time where I could beat minh and amber on a team by myself. But now, Minh is probably better than me. This isnt because we had tournaments every other week. Its because we were close like a family. we hung out at the apt. all the time. but we didnt just stay there. we hung out together, went out to eat together. movies, all that stuff. anime nights. stuff that actual friends do. and because we hung out together all the time, we would improve while we played, and it was fun cus it wasnt like work.

nowadays the impression i get from yall is like, 'we need to set up a time so I can train for 4 hours and do blank blankety blank' and while that is somewhat valid because were all older and have lives and jobs now (which goes into a completely different factor of the deadness of our scene) before it used to be like, 'yo you wanna get something to eat and chill?' and in the bonding over taco bell at 3 am process somebody would try something new and stupid and everyone would be like, 'wow that was awesome! have you tried to do that in this way?' and that way everyone learned something and everyone got better and you didnt have to 'try' to do it because it was just fun.

but now people have issues with everything.
i got to the apt and i feel like aside from paco and maybe foy sometimes, nobody wants me around. so I just go to minhs place. and he doesnt have a car still, and he has all the games he needs in his place so he usually doesnt make an effort to go anywhere.

and then people dont go to EGS because the kids there are butt. but then the 4-5 EGS kids who actually want to get better, kinda dont, because theres nobody there to show them stuff. and then this person did something 6 months ago so that person doesnt want to be around them any more, so they wont go to anything that hes a part of. and then people have to choose sides about stuff. and then the people that everyone likes and who wants to get better has no ride and nobody is gonna get them cause people are lazy. all this leads to 20 people playing smash on a friday night in 10 different places across the city. and nobody getting better for it. because for whatever of 8 reasons, its not fun to play together, which is the only way to learn.

the game isnt what keeps people in the community, the people are. and if the people are actin booty, the game isnt gonna last, no matter what the game is.

sorry to anyone whos upset because I had to lay down some real talk. again.

it also doesnt help that nobody is doing anything to encourage new people to get serious about the game.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
i think the thing people arent getting here is that unless you have ********, reaching obsessive levels of dedication, like me or Jesse, just holding a bunch of tournaments doesnt make people better.

For most people, its about having a sence of community. There was a point in time, probably about a year ago. Where a lot of people got a LOT better at melee. Foy, Steffon, Minh, Amber, Spamus, and even myself. There was a time where I could beat minh and amber on a team by myself. But now, Minh is probably better than me. This isnt because we had tournaments every other week. Its because we were close like a family. we hung out at the apt. all the time. but we didnt just stay there. we hung out together, went out to eat together. movies, all that stuff. anime nights. stuff that actual friends do. and because we hung out together all the time, we would improve while we played, and it was fun cus it wasnt like work.

nowadays the impression i get from yall is like, 'we need to set up a time so I can train for 4 hours and do blank blankety blank' and while that is somewhat valid because were all older and have lives and jobs now (which goes into a completely different factor of the deadness of our scene) before it used to be like, 'yo you wanna get something to eat and chill?' and in the bonding over taco bell at 3 am process somebody would try something new and stupid and everyone would be like, 'wow that was awesome! have you tried to do that in this way?' and that way everyone learned something and everyone got better and you didnt have to 'try' to do it because it was just fun.

but now people have issues with everything.
i got to the apt and i feel like aside from paco and maybe foy sometimes, nobody wants me around. so I just go to minhs place. and he doesnt have a car still, and he has all the games he needs in his place so he usually doesnt make an effort to go anywhere.

and then people dont go to EGS because the kids there are butt. but then the 4-5 EGS kids who actually want to get better, kinda dont, because theres nobody there to show them stuff. and then this person did something 6 months ago so that person doesnt want to be around them any more, so they wont go to anything that hes a part of. and then people have to choose sides about stuff. and then the people that everyone likes and who wants to get better has no ride and nobody is gonna get them cause people are lazy. all this leads to 20 people playing smash on a friday night in 10 different places across the city. and nobody getting better for it. because for whatever of 8 reasons, its not fun to play together, which is the only way to learn.

the game isnt what keeps people in the community, the people are. and if the people are actin booty, the game isnt gonna last, no matter what the game is.

sorry to anyone whos upset because I had to lay down some real talk. again.

it also doesnt help that nobody is doing anything to encourage new people to get serious about the game.
you make a good point, the community is quite scattered. now that RIT leaves for the summer, it gets more scattered too. it used to be that we had (correct me if I'm wrong) 2 large groups that played (RIT and apartment) and people would go to both to play. the RIT kids got stuck only at RIT and the apartment kids didn't really have a reason to play with RIT. now it's a lot more like the 4-5 really dedicated ones keep playing, and everyone else is doing other ****.

anyways, I think it's very hard to get people into competitive smash. especially when the community around us doesn't help much. brawl at RIT died once sheth left so it's really hard to get people into any kind of smash when the larger game isn't being represented. Jaiye switched over to melee just cuz no one played brawl anymore.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Theres just no dedication in players minus like 5-6. Cant improve the community without dedication.

huMps

Smash Ace
It sounds like Rochester needs a smashfest. And everyone needs to do there best to get there to remember why we play. I feel as though I've gotten alot better since AXS2 (thanks almost solely to playing with Jesse) but I've hardly played anyone besides Jesse in like 2 months.
I have no idea what kind of personal drama has made certain people avoid others in this community but I hope it's nothing that will keep it split the way it is now forever.
And syracuse - I plan on coming up there some time soon with Jesse and whoever else would be willing to chip in some gas money. I'll try to contact some melee'ers when I figure out a date that I'll definitely be able to do it. So you guys can't say we don't care about you (:

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Goggles makes a lot of good points, I agree with them all pretty much.

Also, Bobby and I are def going to cuse soon to play with you guys, cuz you guys are really dedicated and awesome :)

and i bet you guys can mess me up now

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I know this is late, but nice job CalmRage, doommachine, Dr. G, and everyone else who went.
Inui lost to Dr. G even though he had sufficient DK experience.

17: Dr. Grandpa :dk2:

17: Fatal :snake:
17: Xzax :falco: :metaknight:
17: Pwii :metaknight:
17: Bloodcross :metaknight::falco:
17: Nakat :fox:
17: vVv Chibosempai :rob:
17: Pinkfresh :lucas:
25: Pat G :zerosuitsamus:
25: EMP D1 :falco: :metaknight:
25: Will :dk2:
25: Vinnie :gw:
25: Kingtoon :toonlink: :dedede: :kirby2:
25: Deltacod :yoshi2:
25: Inui :metaknight:
25: D Disciple :lucario:
33: RJ :lucario:
33: Dark Falco :falco:
33: Kai :sonic: :diddy:
33: GIMR :falco:
33: vVv Cheese :popo:
33: Pelca :falco:
33: Dill :rob:
33: Luckay4lyphe :pit::pikachu2:
33: SuperMarioMC :gw:
33: PD :marth: :wario:
33: Kingkong :bowser2:
33: SeagullMan :wolf:
33: EE Flowers :metaknight:
33: Remix :toonlink:
33: Kid :falco:
33: Inferno :mario2:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
tourney was hella stacked yo.

back to the community point for a quick second. I just also wanted to say that i always felt like everyone aside from me cura and yannick was god-awful at bringing new people into the scene the correct way, thats a big part of it too.

huMps

Smash Ace
tourney was hella stacked yo.

back to the community point for a quick second. I just also wanted to say that i always felt like everyone aside from me cura and yannick was god-awful at bringing new people into the scene the correct way, thats a big part of it too.
I will say the first event I ever went to was a smashfest at Goggles house, and he played alot of melee with me even though he insisted it was a trash game (:

Giggles we have barley played at all since last summer when Jesse was on his road trip and that chick spiked the controller out of my hands lol, we gotta fix that.
And if I remember correctly my mario was giving you the business.

PS, Yes Giggles was a typo, but I ****ing love it hahahahahahahahaha

Foy

Smash Champion
Reserved for long *** post about our community and what happened too it.

Get around too it when im not sleepy =_=

Actually **** it, all i have to do is explain it to the ones that i care about most out of the community. Thats the apartment.

Smash is the reason I even live in Rochester at the moment, and I use to live out in Norcal where i played with people at a higher level of play. And I threw that way to live with the coolest mother****ers that i could live with, and to be around some real people that I have grown to enjoy being around and sharing memories with. The people are what I cherish the most out of everything that this game has given me.

On that note Jesse Morse, the only reason im sitting in my apartment posting this, is the reason that I still love smash. Its not being able to **** everyone up in the region (ya'll scrubs, ask me about it and ill explain why you all suck), its not having to deal with coming home from work at 6am and being woken up by loud mother ****ers crashing into my room/apartment and thinking its ok to just come over and **** our place up and trash our **** and use our ****. It Jesiah ****ing TEG. This kid not only has taught me the most about this game, but has taught me about how to never give up and give everything your all.

About a year and a month about I moved home from Cali with the expectations of never playing smash again and living in the middle of nowhere for the rest of my life. Then I ended up finding out where Jesse lives with the help of TheManaLord and playing smash there. Not even 2 weeks later we bonded too the point where he wanted me too move in, along with Sam, who btw if noone in Rochester smash scene knows you are a piece of **** (this kid will **** you up beyond words).

I use to wake up every day to Kelvin playing Warhammer and jesse to be nowhere insight, I would get a text from him that would look something like this (YO BRING MY BROWN PANTS TO WORK ITS NOT CASUAL FRIDAY AND I MIGHT HAVE TO HOME). I would walk all the way to his work to drop them off only to find out i brought the wrong pants to him. But jesse looking at the positive side would remark "Well, looks like i can leave work and go play melee."

The numerous amounts of melee that I have played with this kid is unmatched besides the likes of Goodies, Steffon, and Sootie.

And on that note I want to thank Jesse for becoming my friend and almost brother at this point, we have been through some rough ****, we have both had our shares of troubles and lots of memories with you that I will never lose.

I now live in an apartment with kids who not only play smash, but HoN, Marvel, SF, chess, RPS, Snail game, Smoking Champion game, gun fights, explosions, and all the sorts. Just cause we dont have the same dedication we once had doesnt mean we betrayed you jesse. People go their own ways when they grow and you know that, people lose interests and gain new ones.

In the end what matters is what we gain from a community, not what we lost. From smash I've gained a variety of friends from around the country and some of the best friends I could ask for.

On that note, i want to say that our community lacks in the sense that 1) the people who are motivated to get good at this game are lacking in the mindset to do so, i know i did 2) We have one good player that ***** us senseless and only some people can withstand hours upons hours of this with little gain in progress. Humps and currently nitro for example.

Basically i took this whats wrong with our community post and related to how my life has changed drastically from playing smash and people need to stop *****ing.

And on that note, no i havent really stopped playing melee, i just dont play it hours at a time like i use too. I have other things to dabble with that interests me, I've been doing Melee for 5 - 6 years now and that probably the biggest commitment that I have ever held in my life.

Yo shoutouts too TheManaLord for showing me the ways, and basically being the best person ever.
KoJ aka Vicious aka Steffon for being a real ***** and being through alot of **** this year with me.
Goggles for dealing with all the hate for all the years and somehow still managing to **** kids XD.
Beta for growing the most in recent years as a player to be honest, this kid boomed outta nowhere and ****ed **** up (I still got you i think, tourney record doesnt show it, but i got you :D)
Nitro for sleeping on the couch in the living room right now.
Juni who doesnt even post on this **** anymore for everything ever.
RTF aka Rob the ****ing Rossman Rosser for being all up in that Greece Coast status in the early years.
Burak for being in Turkey right now.
Cura for being a punk *****. Still got me over you in that PR bro even though I got you last tournaments i was at.
Sharky for being awesome as hell all the time no matter what.
San for ****** and putting Ike on the map and WNY for that matter in Brawl.
Neil/Pikapika for just being fat. You know whats good.
Amber for dealing with us all last summer at the apartment and playing mad smash. You rock. :D
Humps for the want to learn this game and being beast at everything. For real man.
Goodies for being the Godfather.

**** ya'll I love this game more then anyone of you guys can understand.

Any questions or missed shoutouts let me know, cause i can answer any questions you scrubs got.

huMps

Smash Ace
Sucks that our work scheduals are toal opposites. Your cool as hell but we never hang cuz right when I get there your always sleeping or leaveing for work haha, **** blows.

Foy next time I come over. Me and you vs Jesse and anyone! we'll win, **** em!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
foy, when do you still play marvel at all? I want to come and play with you and paco but whenever i stop by, you guys are at work. =(

Top Bottom