• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Pat, honorable mentions aren't really that important anyway. I've consistently beaten/outplaced Eevee and I've outplaced Sharky at 2 of the last 3 tournaments. That said, I definitely don't deserve #5 so it really doesn't matter.

Sharky

Smash Master
it's alright, I'll just have to prove that I earned that spot this weekend. =D

Also seeing as tommy beat everyone that was considered for the spot this season he definitely deserves it. Props! =)

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I should even be an Honorable Mention and haven't thought so ever since I've been removed from the PR :O

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Also, no hard feelings to anyone if that was the vibe I was giving off. I was hoping to limp onto a 10 man PR, but that's about it. Haha, would have been a cool birthday present though.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
i get what you guys are saying. and im sorry if i worded it poorly before but im more arguing that there should still be the 10 ranked positions, not that im fighting over the Honors. all of us have been to at least 2 of the last 3 PR tournaments (as has tommy) and i feel that with Eevee and maybe Dudu? there would easily be the 10 people who frequent the tournaments. easily.

Also, no hard feelings to anyone if that was the vibe I was giving off. I was hoping to limp onto a 10 man PR, but that's about it. Haha, would have been a cool birthday present though.
pretty much this too. except instead of calling it limping, i am saying it is very plausable to make the 10 man PR possible

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
i get what you guys are saying. and im sorry if i worded it poorly before but im more arguing that there should still be the 10 ranked positions, not that im fighting over the Honors. all of us have been to at least 2 of the last 3 PR tournaments (as has tommy) and i feel that with Eevee and maybe Dudu? there would easily be the 10 people who frequent the tournaments. easily.
At the same time, having a PR consisting of everyone that attends tournaments becomes sort of meaningless.

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
Pat, honorable mentions aren't really that important anyway. I've consistently beaten/outplaced Eevee and I've outplaced Sharky at 2 of the last 3 tournaments. That said, I definitely don't deserve #5 so it really doesn't matter.
Dishonorable Mention is where it's at. RUN DMC!

Non-TAS Mario64: still amazing? You bet!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utToc0SigJ8

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
doesnt even look like a PR anymore lol, just looks like a "whos still active out here" list. and it barely even qualifies as that.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you gonna put up those vids of us? i didnt save them for them to be lost to the sands of time.

not to mention it would be nice to have video of my falco actually not getting scraped for once.

PS.
We have tons of motivation, but a lot of it is for Marvel now.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
doesnt even look like a PR anymore lol, just looks like a "whos still active out here" list. and it barely even qualifies as that.
Its still a list of our top players at the. Moment. Im pretty sure everyone on that list can beat you.

Edit:

For those of you who came to Syracuse Smash 3. There were bracelets given away for brys death to those who asked for them. We didnt distribute them massively because the bracelets were produced incorrectly. They were orange bracelets with a darker orange font. The font was unreadable unless carefully looked at due to this. The font was suppose to be a different color. I still have roughly 30 or so bracelets. If you did not receive 1 and would like one please send me a PM with an address I can mail them to. The remaining bracelets will be returned to brys family.

:phone:

huMps

Smash Ace
What the PR would be if people played melee anymore

JesiahTEG
Tuna
Pika Pika
Mana
Vicious
Mihn
Kwan
Beta
Goggles
Rob
Spamus

This regoin could be pretty ****ing awsome. I'm not just talking skill wise either. I mean everyone lives pretty damn colse and gets along well. We should be much more active.
Jesse, when are you planning on throwing these summer smash fests?

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Melee to lazy/busy to be active. Minus like spamus who like drives every where Lol.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Well, I'm gonna be in my internship housing around this time tomorrow. I don't know how much I might need to take care of to settle in, but it shouldn't be so much that I can't take care of it all in the same day. Is anyone else out of school yet? I think san posted before that he'll be done soon, but if anyone's free for the weekend and around, maybe I can meet some of you guys.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
What the PR would be if people played melee anymore

JesiahTEG
Tuna
Pika Pika
Mana
Vicious
Mihn
Kwan
Beta
Goggles
Rob
Spamus
WTF is this ****?

Don't john for people because they're too lazy. It's true there would be some good competition, but I do think people who actually still play have improved. Your list is both inaccurate and you john for people that didn't ask for it.

Also you keep saying you'll be on that list eventually. Why don't YOU show up ever?

Sharky

Smash Master
so much salt in this thread right now XD

but yeah as a region we're pretty much defunct. sad but true. I just hope the people who are still active can breathe some life back into the scene.

also thanks to my roommate I'm stuck on a lease with for the next couple months I have no power now. Great day. =)

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Zaandaa and I try with the BEST series to help stimulate the region. Unfortunately, Troy/Albany is a long ways away from Rochester where a lot of the players are. I don't really understand why there are no Albany players, but whatever.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Rochester can come believe me. They are just lazy. They've traveled further. As for humps pr list. Fairly inaccurate based on skill as well. Being that you've only been on the WNY side of the smash scene theres a lot of players that have stepped it up i.e Dudu/Zanda/Erk.

The smash scene here is falling apart due to pure laziness or lack of interest in the game. Jesse talked about hosting some weekly events, hopefully its not all talk. And hopefully its not just melee either and will tend to our whole region.
However,
-Goggles, pikapieeka dont play much and have probably switched to mvc3
-Leet-0 and his crew have disappeared off the face of the earth (which is like 6 people)
-Rochester no longer holds events and havent since September i believe.
-Players such as Minh/Juni/Viciouz havent really entered anything in over 6 months.
-Frannie and I are leaving to Japan for over a year which means; No more smash fest (held by us),
No more Syracuse tournaments (held by us), No one else in syracuse has a car or can drive which means no one will be able to attend tournament easily.
-James G Quit
- Half of the players that were ranked dont even post on this thread to keep the community up.

On the bright side there are people who show promise in making the community better. And we do have new players coming out. We just have more players leaving.

Shoutouts to calm,zanda,spamus and metal pat for making an effort to get upstate going (And im talking about a 100% effort not a half-*** try)

MetalPat

Smash Ace
-Frannie and I are leaving to Japan for over a year which means; No more smash fest (held by us),
No more Syracuse tournaments (held by us), No one else in syracuse has a car or can drive which means no one will be able to attend tournament easily.
so whos takin over this when youre gone? or are we stuck with no new PRs for a year :p

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I apologize for that last post. It's mostly just my frustration at not having the opportunity to play the people from Rochester in such a long time :(

I do think you're underestimating the rest of upstate though. Beta's performance in particular has improved at an alarming rage.

I mean rate

huMps

Smash Ace
At DUDU - your being dumb, chill out. Re-read what I said and what you said. and who the hell is Johning?

And Cura, That list is only what I think the PR would be if everyone was active and attending the tourneys. So obviously it is totally subjective.
I actually agree with your PR totally, I made my list more to emphasize our PRs' lack of quantity, not accuracy.

Erkekjetter

Smash Journeyman
Imo, don't suggest a pr if you don't know half the region... You can't just ignore a bunch of ppl and expect it to be cool. Just my opinion.

huMps

Smash Ace
Imo, don't suggest a pr if you don't know half the region... You can't just ignore a bunch of ppl and expect it to be cool. Just my opinion.

And Cura, That list is only what I think the PR would be if everyone was active and attending the tourneys. So obviously it is totally subjective.
I actually agree with your PR totally, I made my list more to emphasize our PRs' lack of quantity, not accuracy.
Did not suggest a PR. And which half did I ignore? People are being very sensitive.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I take issue when you put people who have earned their spot and bump them down 2 or 3 spots just because you think another player is better.

Not having been to tournaments, you wouldn't know how much they've improved, and using myself as a measure, I know people have really stepped it up.

Again, I apologize for being so angry before, and the johning is just my interpretation of Rochester's **** talk and not win strategy. (All the people that do win from Rochester do very little bragging online)

huMps

Smash Ace
I think you guys took that way the wrong way, but that being said I did forget you dudu and cura and zanda.

I wasnt making excuses for anybody either.
Let's not kid ourselves though, that PR is not flattering. and I'm not saying that because of the names that are on it but because of the names that aren't on it that could very easilly be.
I'll say it again though, I totally agree with Curas' PR. It's purely results based and thats the only way to go. Mine was not a substitute. If anything I intended to annoy the people that were on it (slackers). But apparently I did just the opposite.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Kinda like the men that your mom are attracted too.

talk more **** bro.
ON BLAST!
Its still a list of our top players at the. Moment. Im pretty sure everyone on that list can beat you.

yup. TGS could definitely beat me anytime he wants.... suuuurrre. you just mad cus even though he hasnt played brawl since pound, you still couldnt beat neil in a match. Also, i was peepin that grammar. too pro bro ^_-b

I mean everyone lives pretty damn colse and gets along well.
disagree strongly on both accounts here.
Also you keep saying you'll be on that list eventually. Why don't YOU show up ever?
ON BLAST!!

Jesse talked about hosting some weekly events, hopefully its not all talk. And hopefully its not just melee either and will tend to our whole region.

This made me giggle a little bit.

pikapieeka
really? are you that dyslexic?
I do think you're underestimating the rest of upstate though. Beta's performance in particular has improved at an alarming rage.

I mean rate
Rob has improved more in the last 5 months by never playing than anybody else could have, no matter how much they practice. fact.
Again, I apologize for being so angry before, and the johning is just my interpretation of Rochester's **** talk and not win strategy. (All the people that do win from Rochester do very little bragging online)
DOUBLE BLAST!!

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
theres a lot of players that have stepped it up i.e Dudu/Zanda/Erk.

lack of interest in the game, weekly ROC events

On the bright side there are people who show promise in making the community better. And we do have new players coming out. We just have more players leaving.
Kind of in order...

No idea who Zanda is, but PAUL/Beta got way better (and that was at AXS2, I can only imagine how much better they are now if they kept that rate up). I thought Dudadeeda was on that inactive status?
viciouszzz is

There already were weekly events... RIT has egs and smash club. It helps, but it feels more like socializing than improving to me (at least when I play). Personally, I'm only interested in doubles and play singles to give people experience. Friendlies are way too casual and people rarely play in a way that makes me perform well.

Summer weeklies: I'd like to see some sort of numbers thing that rewards everyone involved. I think that'd help motivate people. Round robin was great to see "oh hey i was x/% of my games today."

Sayonara :( I wanna see cuse before you leave. Going away party?

your being dumb, chill out
Irony. LOL.

da K.I.D. said:
disagree strongly on both accounts here.
10/10 QFT

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
If you don't know who Zandaa is, that just shows that you are at a disconnect with the region. You know with him hosting 3 tournaments since the fall.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Dudu- With a wife, a kid, a full time job AND moving into a new house that he bought at the age of 22, Bob still makes it to my house once a week and to most Smashfests at RIT. I will flat out say there is no one I have met in my life, at his age, that has as much on their plate as he does. And he's one of the two - four most motivated players in the region, the others being Nightro, A nub, and Alex. Next up is Spamus I believe. You really can't yell at him.

Also, what he's getting at is how absolutely ridiculous the potential of Rochester is for at least Melee. (can't speak for brawl, pretty disconnected w/the community at that point)

Like, we live in an apartment together. That's better than any other region has it besides Socal because they have that too. The raw potential is insane, but the will isn't there right now.

On one hand, from a person to person perspective, people have other stuff going on and that's cool, because I don't really expect other people to have as much drive for Melee (who to most people is "just" a game) as I do, cuz that's rare.

On the other hand though, from a competitive gaming perspective, I'm not gonna lie, I definitely feel betrayed and abandoned by my apartment members due to how high the motivation was initially, when we moved in (the game brought us all together) and then watching them dibble dabble in other games that they're just going to quit at max, a year or so from now.

That's actually a huge part of my motivation, is when I first break top 10 at a national and get a lot of hype, I want to prove to the other members of the apartment that it IS possible for ANYONE, even from a region of very few, and most of them unmotivated players, to rise to the top.

Another big reason too, and not to be cocky cuz that's not where this is coming from, is that i literally **** people so bad now and I'm so super competitive with it, I can tell people don't have fun playing me. They might argue and say that's not true, but it def is.

But again that's from a melee perspective. From person to person, it's completely understandable. People just develop different interests. I'm just scared that they're going to do the same thing they did in melee- when it gets tougher to improve and they hit a plateau, they begin to get attracted to a new game, forever stuck in a cycle of mediocrity. We'll see though hahahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahaha....

ha

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
I mean, it's not like we all got together yesterday, realized that every system we had for Melee was broken, so one of us went to get a GameCube and half an hour later we were playing Melee.

And then a couple people had a money match after that.

That would be ridiculous.

Get @ my level of motivation.

Neil's next.

huMps

Smash Ace
I guess Jesse is some kind of genius or something because he's the only one who read my post and didn't just pull, "You all suck DIICCKKKKKKK" out from between the lines.
I'll just take everything I said back for now and say it again later when everyone is off the rag maybe?
Disappointed, but I've already realized that I like almost all of you much more in person than on the boards. So it's cool

Top Bottom