• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
in the long run, it'll help teach u to play while making less mistakes, or losing that neutral position which is very critical and should be worth worrying about. Since combos in brawl are somewhat lacking, it seems you can get away with doing risking stuff more often, and have less regard for your health/percent because since combos are short, punishes arent as severe as other other fighters.

In addition, smash has that combo breaker factor that comes with DI. Having good DI will get you out of a string load of what should be combos, so it seems that even more incentive to play without fear of your health. Now in the long run, if you win more neutral positions that u loss, u should come out on top in those traditional fighters, but smash is kinda different. Since a stock can come around at any point regardless on percent as long as ur off stage, capitalizing on stuff like meteor strike and edge hog opportunities are more critical. Now if u play games with same sense of danger that comes with 0 to death combo at any time regardless on what game or character, it could make u a better player and could help u to transition to another game.

Or it could lead u to become a campier more defensive player. Just my thought....

the threat of a 0-death combo is still there, its just that theres points that make it escapable, and if you dont believe me, fight san. If he hits you once, then youre in danger for the next like 10 seconds at least. the thing with brawl is that once you get that first read, its all about continuing to understand and perpetually out smarting them. with other games, after you get the first read or punish, the only thing holding you back from 50% of their life bar or more is your level of execution (and maybe one or 2 get out of jail free cards that the game gives you), and my execution has always been typically bad, even though Im smart enough to still usually beat most people in most games I play. I just feel better playing a game that doesnt screw me over for that.

Also, DI is the best concept for a fighting game ever. just a tiny iota above Mega crash

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
I'll mm you in melee when I get back if you come to fest, I mm anyone but i never do more than 3 dollars. I'll mm in n64 also

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
in the long run, it'll help teach u to play while making less mistakes, or losing that neutral position which is very critical and should be worth worrying about. Since combos in brawl are somewhat lacking, it seems you can get away with doing risking stuff more often, and have less regard for your health/percent because since combos are short, punishes arent as severe as other other fighters.

In addition, smash has that combo breaker factor that comes with DI. Having good DI will get you out of a string load of what should be combos, so it seems that even more incentive to play without fear of your health. Now in the long run, if you win more neutral positions that u loss, u should come out on top in those traditional fighters, but smash is kinda different. Since a stock can come around at any point regardless on percent as long as ur off stage, capitalizing on stuff like meteor strike and edge hog opportunities are more critical. Now if u play games with same sense of danger that comes with 0 to death combo at any time regardless on what game or character, it could make u a better player and could help u to transition to another game.

Or it could lead u to become a campier more defensive player. Just my thought....
I kinda of understand that brawl isn't a typical fighter. Lol.

Though I definitely tried to DI out of one of Arakune's distortions, and I felt like an idiot.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I like watching videos of people I know lol... and I think beta is the best meleer from Syracuse

or maybe Cura is?

TunaCasserole

Smash Journeyman
Ahahah goggles poppin off. Trademark I'm also from around tristate, and I go to school up at Skidmore so we'll play at some point im sure. I heard you have a good peach, looking forward to playing you

MetalPat

Smash Ace
im back in binghamton for school till summer. are there any tournies at all comin up in NY in january? i couldnt find any on SWF or AiB

Foy

Smash Champion
lame excuse and you know it =]

next time a tournament/smashfest happens im mm beta. :D i think i got him in fox dittos now. <3

Sharky

Smash Master
I could possibly do tuesday, I'll let you know. I'm not particularly good at melee but I wouldn't mind playing still. =)

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
if you guys do tuesday i can come please just post about it and i will make it down and i can try to grab jeff and then if beta and erk wanna do it to we could get like a big melee fest no prob.

i will challenge u all to a crew battle

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Vibe, you should practice PSC'ing if you're so bored.

All I do is wifi and cpus.

Imma try PSC'ing to waft. Half-waft comes out on frame 5.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Dancing blade says hi.

Edit: Or did you mean that it's all that you are able to do atm? By "you" I mean you and not Marth

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Me, and Dancing Blade PCS vs. Nado isn't realistic, because MetaKnight would be able to DI out at most angles, since Nado is like, inside of you.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Me and L-Don tested the PSC as Marth and Wario (online).

L-Don got the hang of it quicker. He could do both, but only Grab and upB. Me, I could only do grab and upB as Marth. So it's fairly useful online, but probably much more offline.

Edit: L-Don managed to jab as Fox and Luigi.

Top Bottom