• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
i play every day and am prepared to succeed at a tournament or fest whenever i make it to one next

so put a dot on oswego just in case anyone comes to town. jeff is no longer oswego, you can put him as baldwinsville or syracuse i guess but he doesnt play really

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
vibe, me and yannick cant play BB with you, You know that right? we (he) has the ps3 version. so we cant play you online.

also, when you first get the game, youre going to want to start with ragna or jin until you learn the basics of the game. and then move on to whatever character you really want to play. that being said MAKE SURE you play through the tutorial mode, its easily the best tutorial for a fighting game ever. it will teach you everything you ever need to know about BB

also, make sure you dont slack off on brawl.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Tutorial mode teaches you most things you need to know.

The DussRoop system guide still has all the nitty gritty in there for all the super technical things like fuzzy guards and attack invuln.

Also, we can play online from Cyberstorm. They have 360s as well as 360 Blaz.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Lol me and my friends are starting our own small community. So far I've managed to brainwash 5 people in one day. That's about... 5 times better Shiri can do in this thread, ever.

1 of my friends is going to be playing PS3 while the rest of us are buying Xbox. That one PS3 kid swears up and down the controls won't be a problem. Lolz. I'll prolly be buying an arcade controller somewhere down the line tho.

Ultimately, I just want to get good at a more typical fighter, so I have competitive games to fall back on when/if the smash community goes to ****, plus I want to expand my competitive horizon. I'll prolly be slacking off from brawl for a little while, just cause' my friends are getting into it.

Anyways, it looks like with CS:II coming up, the two characters I was interested in are getting nerfed, Taokaka and Litchi. I'm clearly going to drop Litchi with all the crazy nerfs people are talking about, but even if taokaka is mid-low tier, I'll prolly still play her.

And why do you want me to start with Jin? Dat Icecar? I planned to anyways. Lol.

Edit: I can't even say I'll be slacking off in brawl, because I plan to **** this upcoming AiB ladder. And by **** I mean go like 10/3246235723457.

Edit2: I'm not joking about the brainwash thing. We're literally all driving to gamestop tomorrow to steal all their copies.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Without typing up a whole story about it...

...I'm just going to say that you're especially scrub tier for already choosing who you're going to play without getting a feel for the game and the characters for CS2 first. Everyone that has played it overseas says that even the weak characters aren't actually weak at all, so stow the trash and wait until you play the game before you make such premature judgments.

Also, Kyle is bad. :3

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
I didn't say I was definitely going to main so-and-so, Of course I'm more interested in the ones that look appealing to me compared to the characters that aren't. Though, I have played the game a couple times before, and I did enjoy playing Taokaka, so of course I'm sad to hear she might get nerfed. Lolz.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Don't worry about Tao.

She's going just fine right now and her loops are hurting just as hard.

Tao is Taokaka, after all.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
bad enough to STOMP YOU OUT!

Also, I tell everyone to start with ragna/jin because if you want to be good at a traddy fighter, than its good to learn the basics with the basic characters. they will be the best for learning the straight forward things like spacing, wake up options, zoning, camping, pressure, mix ups and all that. once you have a solid foundation to work with, it becomes much easier to transfer that knowledge to some of the more niche characters like arakune and carl. where as if you just try to start with them right out of the gate, your progression thru the basics will be hampered because youll be trying to learn the niche gimmicky aspects of the character at the same time/before the basics which wont make you actually good at the game.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Kyle has the right idea.

What he actually means to say is that playing the game with the basic characters first will teach you the mechanics of the game like the different types of guards, cancels, gatlings, chains, and how you play the game in terms of what homogenized aspects of the game every character has access to because the basic characters use all of these things even if just a little bit.

He's probably confusing techniques like camping, zoning, and wakeup with the Smash engine because in Smash those are the aspects that every character operates under, when in Blaz the truth of the matter is that those things so drastically differ from one character to another that you'll find most Blaz players just have a main and don't have the time to learn more than maybe an absolute maximum of three characters.

His other idea is more or less on the mark.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yea, yannick is right, Its hard to say things in non smash terms for me now lol. but as long as you know what im trying to say, it works out.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Lol, I'll be getting my copy in a week because Gamestop only had one copy, and WalMart and Target were both out of stock, so I bought it online.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: DAYUM

PEEP THIS

VIBE CAN'T EVEN GET HIS HANDS ON THIS **** IT'S REALLY THAT HOT

Foy

Smash Champion
Yannick when you see this you should come fetch me from my room to play blaz blu. unless im on wow.

and the canal looks sick with teh sunrise

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
nobody.

its a bad game and everyone has moved on to better things.

if you want to bring a laptop to the apt and play wow, that would def. work out tho.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Me and Yannick agree on this consistently, everytime this comes up.

If any of you are seriously planning on getting good at mvc3, you need to at the very least rent tvc and get semi decent at it. thats going to give you the best basis for what to do when it comes out.

and the only real way to get any good at tvc right now is to play it with me.

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
Well random update, still homeless, mooching off friends, and tryin' to get by with the job search. Although from all this Blazblue and what not talk I'd just like to say...Score Attack Unlimited Ragna is ungodly beast. x.x I've never been able to take even one round off him with Tager (sadly only character i can get pass Unlimited Rachael with for now), his AI and defenses are through the roof. Has anyone else who plays BB got that far and beat him? Cuz like...tips help! XD

Oh yeah, gettin' some people that I met through my friends into Melee a bit, so plus side, but we just played Brawl last night for laughs. Wasn't even playing seriously and beat 'em all, so sad. XD But yeah, once I get myself settled I'll be back on the forums more, so might not hear from me for a few days, so peace.

huMps

Smash Ace
I wasn't asking because of last night Foy. If your doing stuff your doing stuff, I don't want you to think I'm nagging you guys lol. Just wondering because of the general lack of any disscusion, and it seems like alot of people are moving to other games.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Combos are supposed to be the reward for outsmarting someone.

Or taking advantage of their mistakes.

Getting comboed, which is essentially free unblockable damage, is supposed to be the proverbial salt on the wound for getting touched.

Now, if a game is too fast and revolves entirely around seemingly random consecutive hits to get anything done, I can understand that.

Brawl's lifespan is also a lot shorter than last year would have people believe.

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
And before I forget cuz I dunno if I'll be at my comp tonight, Happy New Years everyone, go party, drink all ya want, but drive safe or get a taxi or I'm comin' to find and kick yer arses. XD Somehow.

Minic

Smash Apprentice
in the long run, it'll help teach u to play while making less mistakes, or losing that neutral position which is very critical and should be worth worrying about. Since combos in brawl are somewhat lacking, it seems you can get away with doing risking stuff more often, and have less regard for your health/percent because since combos are short, punishes arent as severe as other other fighters.

In addition, smash has that combo breaker factor that comes with DI. Having good DI will get you out of a string load of what should be combos, so it seems that even more incentive to play without fear of your health. Now in the long run, if you win more neutral positions that u loss, u should come out on top in those traditional fighters, but smash is kinda different. Since a stock can come around at any point regardless on percent as long as ur off stage, capitalizing on stuff like meteor strike and edge hog opportunities are more critical. Now if u play games with same sense of danger that comes with 0 to death combo at any time regardless on what game or character, it could make u a better player and could help u to transition to another game.

Or it could lead u to become a campier more defensive player. Just my thought....

Top Bottom