• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
I once gimped m2k in Brawl in a $50 MM, while fending off his many meatriders with my other hand. Signing autographs with my teeth, and doing a Bill Cosby + Meatwad impression at a local charity, and outsandbagging Isai.
I've done all that, with Ganon, and I was outsandbagging Brood, while facing DEHF.

LOL@HOWIBASEALLOFTHEGOODPLAYERSONTHELATESTBIGTOURNAMENTRESULTS.

JUST LIKE THE TIER LIST.

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
Btw, how does everyone feel about life? We should all do psilocybin together.

:D
Or whatever's around :D Life's good. Picked up some more JD music and some old awesome house mixes (Which I gotta get to Spife somehow). Did some yardwork, had amazing teams moments with partners Kyle, Minh, Boxman, some guy idk, and Foy. Finally slept in my own bed again at the old place.

I won a MM while taking my AP exam.

AGAINST SAKURAI!!!!

But I think he was sandbagging.
Have you seen him play? He's actually kinda bad.

Manalord legitamately honestly pulled a waveshine across the stage to up smash in a doubles match, to both opponents AND his partner.

Im pretty sure Rob, Jesse and Steffon were there.
I was going to post the same thing! Iirc I was one of the victims. Either way, I was blown away because my techskill at the time barely involved any of SHFFL. Last time I saw YANNICK was at BFWNY5!

@Rob:

You and I have had a few conversations about antibiotic resistance in bacteria, and how we're going to get ****ed cuz of it right?

The end just got here quicker: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Delhi_metallo-beta-lactamase
All of antics in immunology flashed before my eyes. I should uhhhh learn more about that XD

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Why is brood allowed to sandbag but not me? =( lol

a nub

Smash Ace
What's good ppl? I'm going up to rochester for college on the 31st. I haven't really bothered reading the thread too much, so I was wondering how the melee is up there.

a nub

Smash Ace
It's pretty good. Which college? There's a hotspot near MCC and RIT itself is a hotspot. In the OP there is a old, yet relevant map that includes a lot of ROC players.
RIT. Roc seems fine then, I was afraid it'd be dead as hell lol. Looks like I probably won't get to go to no johns before I leave so I'll definitely be itching to play.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Not at all, we definitely got melee at RIT, let alone the surrounding area. Regular on-campus attendance is lower, tho I'll be playing melee some weeks this year, learnin my stuff.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Mana the melee scene is pretty solid is syracuse. Though the skill level isnt as high. But Me, erk, beta, sharky, frannie, james g, and sayan all play melee. you just need to start coming out more!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
WHAT?! Have you not HEARD my Meatwad impression, homie?
Dude, its amazing... no joke.
I was going to post the same thing! Iirc I was one of the victims. Either way, I was blown away because my techskill at the time barely involved any of SHFFL. Last time I saw YANNICK was at BFWNY5!
Have you been to the apt since he got back?

Why is brood allowed to sandbag but not me? =( lol
Because you have a record for not sandbagging. Ive seen people play you and give up half way through the match, and youll still fsmash them at like 40...

if you were like me and had a reputation for sandbagging, then people would be ok with it.

RIT. Roc seems fine then, I was afraid it'd be dead as hell lol. Looks like I probably won't get to go to no johns before I leave so I'll definitely be itching to play.
to be honest, aside from Hofstra, near the city, RIT is probably the biggest college for smash in the state. Definitely the biggest outside of NYC

We have EGS (video game club) where we play smash every wednesday night, and than we have our own seperate smash club every friday night.

do you have a facebook? that will be way helpful in hooking up with the rest of us.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Yeah cura def, it'd be the same story if I lived in syracuse. BUt having work / class every day makes it too hard to travel =(

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
to be honest, aside from Hofstra, near the city, RIT is probably the biggest college for smash in the state. Definitely the biggest outside of NYC
Hofstra has a big Smash Scene? I wish I had known... Hofstra is less than a 20 minute drive from my house >_> Too late now I guess.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
My boy malcolm, (the wario player if you know him) used to tell me about how many people up at Hofstra used to (and still do) play. He made it seem like competitive smash in NYC pretty much originated at Hofstra

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I've heard of him, that's cool though. I wish I would have known there were people playing there. I would have gone.

Thankfully UB's got Smash Club every Wednesday night, which is pretty cool. I'll try to make it out to some of the events in Syracuse & Rochester too if my school schedule isn't too crazy. I know taking the Amtrak to Syracuse is really easy, I think it lets off really close to Cura's house. And I'm sure there's a route to Rochester as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Amtrak isn't too expensive either, right?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Amtrak is like paying an arm and a leg, compared to just giving me like 20 bucks to bring you and azeal up to rochester and back for the weekend.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
For real? That would be pretty cool of you - Thanks.

I'm still trying to pick up a secondary, since going solo Ness can only go so far. I'm thinking of trying out Toon Link, Peach, Yoshi, &/or Mario - They're probably the other characters I feel most comfortable with at this point. I'm just not sure who to devote my time trying to get better with.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Train actually might be a little cheaper than paying for gas money but im not sure just yet. Im sure being in a car with other smashers having a good time. Is worth a couple extra bucks though. Beat riding a long *** train by yourself. However, you are right both the train and bus stops are extremely close to my house.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
I just checked Amtrak rates - 26 dollars back & forth from Buffalo to Rochester. Probably the same or a little more expensive for Syracuse.

That reminds me of a time when I was around 12 or so, my cousins & I drove from NY to North Carolina, and we had a TV in the car, and we hooked up Melee to it. And it was awesome.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. i think weve all had our moments with long trips (or in my case, work shifts) with a gamecube and a portable screen.

those were the days.

2. if I went up to buffalo and back, which I would be willing to do on occasion, I would probably ask for about the same or maybe a bit more than the bus people would, the only difference is that with the bus everyone would have to pay that 25-30 bucks where as with me, you can split that up between like 2-4 other people

lain

Smash Master
1. Pikapika trash talks everyone, Win lose or draw, hes a **** to everyone equally.

2. I intentionally told everyone in my region to trash talk the balls off that kid should any of them play him in tourney. Just so you know now, hes probably never going to beat any of us solely because of that. I mean, I love BC, but if all you gotta do is trash talk for a free win in a tourney match, theres no reason NOT to do it.

3. Pikax2 beat lain already, do you seriously want to do that? If so, Ill put up the 20 for him to play you.
Chibo also beat me the same tourney. Everyone knows I played bad that tourney. Put up the $20 for me to moneymatch him plz

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I only put up money for other peoples money matches, when I know its a guaranteed win. lol. ill be sure to let him know you want a runback match tho.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
1. i think weve all had our moments with long trips (or in my case, work shifts) with a gamecube and a portable screen.

those were the days.

2. if I went up to buffalo and back, which I would be willing to do on occasion, I would probably ask for about the same or maybe a bit more than the bus people would, the only difference is that with the bus everyone would have to pay that 25-30 bucks where as with me, you can split that up between like 2-4 other people
Yeah. Ten hours. In a car. With 4 people playing Melee for a vast majority of it makes for good times.

True that - I'll definitely ask you for a ride then, it'd be nice if I could split the fee, but the only other Buffalonian Smasher I know of is BluePeachy.

Also, fun fact, I'll probably just be going by 'Dan' in tournaments instead of Tomato - my 8 year old internet pseodonym >_> I like my little signature banner thing I made in 5 minutes in Paint Shop Pro. Farfetch'd is just too cool.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Tomato causes some confusion, especially in the Ness/Lucas community. Some people think I'm this guy, also named Tomato, who translated some Mother games - The dude's practically a hero for some of these guys. And they thought I was him when I first started posting on the boards lol. It's a strange coincidence I'd play the same characters as a guy who is renowned for translating their games.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Dude I'm not even kidding. Check this - From the MOTHER 3 wikipedia article.

Tomato, who has worked on several professional translations (video games such as One Piece: Unlimited Adventure for the Wii, as well as Dragon Ball and Crayon Shin-chan[47]) stated in an interview with Simon Parkin of Gamasutra that he knew that this translation was not completely legal[45] and that if Nintendo objected, he would have stopped the translation immediately.[45] The team has also stated the same in their project FAQ.[48] The industry response has been quite positive; Tomato has received e-mails from video game industry professionals expressing their gratitude for his efforts, sometimes even offering to buy him drinks.[45] While Nintendo has not provided an official comment on the translation, employees of Nintendo and Square Enix have expressed excitement for the project.[43] Other localizations are currently in development by the translation team, including Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Dutch and German.[49]
And sorry Mako, I'm just some scrubby Ness main from NY. </3

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Since the 64 days, yo.

I remember back in the day everyone thought the '4th unlockable character' in SSB64 was Master Hand. Then I unlocked Ness one day & I was like 'Who the hell is this asian kid?'.

Top Bottom