• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Underrated/Overrated

KING BRISKET

Smash Apprentice
Who are some characters you think are placed on too high of a pedestal or aren't getting the respect they deserve? For those of you who think a character is underrated, please tell why so. Do you think there aren't enough competitive players trying to unlock their full potential?

crewster

Smash Lord
I think that Falcon is underated. There are about 5 active SWF accounts on the Falcon boards and none of us are particualy good at the game. I think that one day a top player will play falcon, find out that he is fun to play, they will play him alot, they will go to tourneys with him and they will keep on going up the ranks and falcon will eventualy be high or top teir.

DK2

Smash Apprentice
Main Characters
Luigi
Peach
Zelda
Toonlink
Sonic

Secondaries
Link
Mario
Marth
Ike
Ness
Falco
Diddy Kong
King Dedede
Zero Suit Samus
Wario
Donkey Kong
Pit
Kirby

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
@DK2, wrong thread. ^_^; This thread is about how is under picked or over picked.

Back on Topic: I'll say Mr. Nintendo is very under picked in tourney's, in just about ten tourneys I went to, I was the only one playing as Mario and the rest was using nothing but Top/High tier chracters only, in my mind I was like, "WTF." O_o

And most of the top tier chracters are overrated, (points at Meta Knight, ROB, etc).

Edit: Darn it, I forgot to make Lip run. ^_^

SharinganKnight

Smash Rookie
I think Ike is very underrated. Most people barely come in contact with a good Ike and when they usually see an Ike main they don't play too well. This is just my thoughts I'm not claiming to be amazing or even that great with Ike =P, just from what I've seen that Ike can do.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
To be honest, Bowser is a character who is indeed very underrated. Reason is because of Bowser's large size, people tend to think he's slow, therefore making him an easy target, when the fact of a matter is that he really isn't all that bad, people should learn and understand a characters flaws before assuming they have them.

Obviously Meta is overrated so...

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
I think Marth is underrated. He hardly has any bad matchups against him, so he needs to be a little higher. Peach is underrated as well, be she's getting better rep now, so maybe she'll be higher.

Falco is overrated.. He can get gimped too easily.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Pit is underrated. He has very few bad match-ups and does quite well against all of the Top Tiers barring Meta Knight and Mr. Game & Watch. The fact that he has an advantage over Snake and Dedede and goes even with Falco and R.O.B. should ensure Pit a higher spot than 15th in my opinion. He also only has a disadvantage with Marth in High Tier; the rest are all in his advantage or neutral. His current placing is due to the lack of use at a competitive level. Pit's potential is very high; I can see him rising to Top of High Tier or maybe even Bottom of Top Tier one day.

pensfan728

Smash Apprentice
.... WTF!?!?! XD

Lol at fake misunderstood sarcasm.

Pit is definitely underrated. Most people see him as a giant spam machine, while in reality, any good Pit player won't use arrows that often...

Except Admiral Pit(Admiral Bowser) XD

Valour

Smash Rookie
In my opinion, Zero Suit Samus is underrated, she has much untapped potential, but characters like Meta Knight and Snake overshadow her. The only time I ever see her used is when someone on Wi-fi wants to show off that they know how to select her without a Smash ball.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
for some of Nintendo's greatest icons Mario, Link, and Samus i think are quite underrated and underused

and maybe its just me but i think DeDeDe is overrated

M15t3R E

Smash Master
=]

You know what I think?

I think there are characters that are underrated and some that are overrated but no matter how much we reform the tier list, someone will always have their disagreements. :ohwell:

GodAwful

Smash Rookie
I think Tink is quite underrated on the tier list. Though I think that may have to do with his match up against Meta. So maybe it's not underrated at all :(

BladeRadio0

Smash Apprentice
I think that Falcon is underated. There are about 5 active SWF accounts on the Falcon boards and none of us are particualy good at the game. I think that one day a top player will play falcon, find out that he is fun to play, they will play him alot, they will go to tourneys with him and they will keep on going up the ranks and falcon will eventualy be high or top teir.
Captain Falcon is really fun to play as but i'll probly never be pro level... i'd say pit is overrated falcon is underated. What teir is Zelda/Sheik?

Omis

my friends were skinny
I think Metaknight is underrated. Not only does he deserve his own tier, their needs to be a tier for good Metas and bad Metas. Kinda like this

Metaknight(Good Player)

Metaknight(scrub player)

Everyone else

themrskills

Smash Apprentice
I think snake is overrated. Hiss mines aren't that hard to spot, nor his grenades that hard to avoid. Lucas, on the other hand, is highly underrated. His recovery isn't that easy to gimp, and he has a metric **** ton worth of power considering his relatively quick speed.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Underrated:

Ness
Olimar
Yoshi
Marth
Meta Knight (needs his own tier)
Peach

Overrated:

Ike
Pit
Bowser

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I think Metaknight is underrated. Not only does he deserve his own tier, their needs to be a tier for good Metas and bad Metas. Kinda like this

Metaknight(Good Player)

Metaknight(scrub player)

Everyone else
LOL!

Underrated: Gannondorf. He really isn't that slow if you use those quick-cancel frames that some of his moves have (i.e. Jab, Up-smash). Combine that with respectable range and a lot of power and I can't see why he's doing so poorly.

Overrated: No one really. In the past I would have said Meta Knight, but now I see him for the broken jerk that he is.

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
Captain Falcon is crazy over-rated. Seriously this hype about him being broken is just silly! (But I agree, he is difficult to counter-pick).

Omis

my friends were skinny
LOL!

Underrated: Gannondorf. He really isn't that slow if you use those quick-cancel frames that some of his moves have (i.e. Jab, Up-smash). Combine that with respectable range and a lot of power and I can't see why he's doing so poorly.

Overrated: No one really. In the past I would have said Meta Knight, but now I see him for the broken jerk that he is.
I wish I was better at detecting internet sarcasm:urg:

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
Some guy I play with thinks Pit is 26th in ranking. He also says Wolf>MK and that ROB is the worst char in the game, along with Peach. XD

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
Guys like DK and Marth are no where near underrated. DK is beastly in this game and Marth....when has he not been a beast?

Most Underrated
Mario - Ironic that Nintendo's main mascot could be rated so low. Seriously, the tier listings have him lower than guys Bowser? Mario has barely any lag in his moveset, good combo ability, and edgeguarding tools that can own at least half the cast.
Link - Even though you have to work with him to win, he can be a very technical character. If he just had a real up+b after he uses a double jump, he'd be much higher. ****, where's the bomb jump when you need it?
Samus - Like Link, she has various techniques at her disposal, and holy **** at her recovery. And come to think of it, ZZS is on the underrated side too.
G-dorf - He's not as devastating compared to his Melee self, but he can still get the job done. Power, murder choke, and canceling some of the lag on moves helps him from suffering the same fate as Captain Falcon.
PT - Almost forgot about him. Out of the three, I'd say Charizard is the best, but I don't think Squirtle and Ivysaur are all that bad...well Squirtle at least.
Peach - She's been toned down a bit so that d-smash is pretty much crap, but she can still be a pain to fight.

Most Overrated
Falco - Why is he so high? Because of the spam blaster and chain grab of ***gotry? Without those, I doubt he'd be all that great. Plus his Up+B is as bad as Link's.
Snake - On the ground, he can be a real *******. But his aerials are ***.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Overrated

Marth-He's good, but I think the reason people think he's really good is just because the players who use him are typical good.

Lucario-Same as Marth

ROB- I can't understand how people can have problems with two chargable projectiles, plus, while his up-b does go a long distance, it isn't an attack and it doesn't recahrge on the edge and takes time to recharge on land.

Falco-On characters where his chain-grab doesn't take much effect, he doesn't even have that much.

Metaknight- I believe he is the best character in the game, but I don't believe that his shuttle loop, tornado and down-smash are amazing like people think they are. His edge-camping makes me afraid though. I have more trouble with Lucas.

Underrated

Lucas- How could people possibly think he is bad, all of his smashes are amazing and he has a jab that comes out in one frame, there is no way that he is so bad when he is the hardest match-up for me. His air game is OK and he can kill with his grabs. He is much better than Ness.

Mario- He can screw over every character in the game while they are recovering easily, except like Game and Watch. Plus he has very good psuedo-combo/combo ability and he has an OK time killing. The bad part about him is his recovery. He has the FLUDD hover nozzel, the cape he can use to fly, and the Luma Spin. Use one of them to recover Mario, please. I think Mario deserves mid-mid tier rather than low.

JST

Smash Apprentice
I honestly honestly think that some people underrate the top tier characters along with some high tiers. :/ That's just me though.

Top Bottom