• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Underrated/Overrated

Roager

Smash Ace
Underrated: Falcon. He's not top tier, of course, but I'd put him closer to where Ike is tier-wise. He recovers WAY better than he did in Melee, and can still kill well enough. Yes, we all know priority is bad. If you play smart, this is less important.

Olimar. Gimpable recovery, yes. But with a good enough defensive game, this will rarely need to happen. Oli's the most defensive character in the game IMO. A walking brick.

Overrated: ROB. While very good, he's not up to the level of MK and Snake. His offensive options are intensely limited if the opponent knows where the hitboxes extend. He does have a good defensive game, what with nair, bair, etc. Also, long range gimp with laser is ****. He's good, he's just not as good as people seem to think.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Underrated: Link
Seriously. Have people seen videos like Linkaggedon and seen just how much **** a good Link main could be? In fact, he isn't even mentioned all that often on this topic, and he's 2nd from the bottom of the tier list! I'm not saying this because Link is my main, I say this because for some reason, everyone thinks Link is just terrible. Admittedly, he's not that good, but he's a hell of a lot better than people are making him out to be.

Overrated: Ike
Maan, I'm going to get so much crap for this. Ike's entire moveset is strong, that is true, but there's absolutely no good way to string them together into a series of consecutive hits. The only moves in Ike's entire moveset that I find useful is Nair, Fair, Bair and Ftilt. His recovery is awful, almost as bad as Link's. His Æther has close to no horizontal distance, and his quick draw recovery can be stopped if the opponent jumps into you, or it leaves you wide open if you don't get the ledge exactly. Not only that, but there are a large amount of noobs who flock to Ike, and I'm not sure why. I think that counts as a part of him being overrated, but that's just me.

Frown

poekmon
Underrated: Falcon. He's not top tier, of course, but I'd put him closer to where Ike is tier-wise. He recovers WAY better than he did in Melee, and can still kill well enough. Yes, we all know priority is bad. If you play smart, this is less important.
I don't know if this is just me, but... what the hell.

I checked the hit % for all characters. It was around 38% for all characters except for Falco (45%) and Captain Falcon (22%).

His hitboxes are freakin' TINY!

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
In my opinion, Wolf and Fox are underrated. Meta Knight and Falco, my other two mains, seem to be in their right spots.

I also think Toon Link was underrated, while DK, Ice Climbers, Lucario, Wario, and King Dedede are overrated =/

Just my opinion though.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I think Ness is a tad underrated but not by much.

I don't think there is an overrated character in Brawl. :/

True Sonic

Smash Cadet
I say who cares about tiers.

I'm not going to let some list decide who I play in a video game. If some guy makes a list of all the fastest and best cars and they all cost the same, I'm going to go with the one I like the most, not the fastest and the best.

Turboman

Smash Rookie
I know he is bad in Brawl but Captain Falcon was good in 64 and Melee and I used him almost exclusively. In brawl however they really toned him down and now it's hard to use him effectively. Hopefully someone will discover the secrets of Captain Falcon, if there are any... until then I'll stick with Fox. So I guess I'm trying to say I hope Falcon is underrated even if it doesn't look like it right now.

SMBEffect

Smash Apprentice
I say who cares about tiers.

I'm not going to let some list decide who I play in a video game. If some guy makes a list of all the fastest and best cars and they all cost the same, I'm going to go with the one I like the most, not the fastest and the best.
True, but some people find it fun to take a low tier character and improve their status. I find that a very plausible use of the tier list.

I'd honestly be embarassed to use a top tier character. It just seems like you have nothing to work for, just concerned to win everytime. I'd actually rather be known for losing and making a character better than winning a majority of the time and blending in with the other people who play my character.

Underrated wise, I'd have to support Yoshi on this. I've seen so many videos of well-rounded Yoshi's. Actually, I think a lot of the low tier characters are underrated, and until more things are discovered about them and/or more people start to pick them up, it might just stay that way.

From what I've seen, people are calling quite a few top tier characters overrated. It makes sense that people are going to go straight for the top and the bottom. Personally, I see characters like Ike and Snake as overrated, but at the same time, I haven't seen too much from them.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter

How can you say Falcon is underrated? if anything, he is SO overrated (Manlyness), considering he's at the bottom of the tier list.

Moosetracks

Smash Cadet
No, Caption Falcon IS underrated.... For one thing, both his dair spike and recovery are amazing. Hardly any delay on the dair at all and it's really powerful and hard to recover from. Not only that, but if your opponent is at high percentage and you accidentally spike too far under him, the hitbox carries over to the top of him so you can launch him off the screen if they hit the top of you while your performing a dair.... Then after the spike, his recovery is awesome.... Annoying ledges don't seem to be a problem for recoveries at all because you can practically make him move a bit to the right in mid recovery if you accidentally hit the bottom of the stage where the stage seems to do completely nothing to stop you. Also, not only that but his grab is really good. I can seem to grab almost anyone when I use him and it's very useful. Falcon kick is a nice unexpected attack as usual.... I guess the two things being downgraded are his speed, and power. Falcon punch was obviously downgraded and so was his knee move when you hit in just the right spot. Overall still, he's still pretty fast and powerful. There's no reason for him being last place.

"Random" is also underrated.... It is actually very useful to choose random frequently as you start to know your enemies and you can gain a wide arsenal of characters to counterpick with. So yep... Chosing random a lot is a very good way to hone your skills. After enough time playing random you're able to pretty much sum up all the characters and every "advantage" and "disadvantage" into complete strategic knowledge to counter practically every character.

Overated..... hmmm......
Pit.... I just don't get what people find hard about him. (except for this one really good Pit player I know)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Overrated: Ike
Maan, I'm going to get so much crap for this. Ike's entire moveset is strong, that is true, but there's absolutely no good way to string them together into a series of consecutive hits. The only moves in Ike's entire moveset that I find useful is Nair, Fair, Bair and Ftilt. His recovery is awful, almost as bad as Link's. His Æther has close to no horizontal distance, and his quick draw recovery can be stopped if the opponent jumps into you, or it leaves you wide open if you don't get the ledge exactly. Not only that, but there are a large amount of noobs who flock to Ike, and I'm not sure why. I think that counts as a part of him being overrated, but that's just me.

You didn't include his jab in that list... you know, one of the best jabs in the game, possibly the most useful move in Ike's repertoire... That in and of itself is just wrong. On top of that, I disagree with you *GASP*. Just thought I should mention that.

mc4

Smash Journeyman
yoshi is definitely underrated, olimar, lucario, fox, mario, luigi, falcon, link (not including the incredibly annoying toon link), jiggly, samus, ness and lucas, ike, ganon, zelda, and from what i've seen tourney wise i think thats it, i've seen the other characters used alot more than the above...

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
yoshi is definitely underrated, olimar, lucario, fox, mario, luigi, falcon, link (not including the incredibly annoying toon link), jiggly, samus, ness and lucas, ike, ganon, zelda, and from what i've seen tourney wise i think thats it, i've seen the other characters used alot more than the above...

Umm.. that's nearly half of the character roster, just NO.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yoshi-no, overrated if anything
Olimar-no
Lucario-yes
Fox-yes
Mario-yes
Luigi-yes
Captain Falcon-no, he really does suck that bad.
Link-see above
Jigglypuff-see above
Samus-no
Ness-yes
Lucas-yes
Ike-no, overrated if anything
Ganondorf-see Captain Falcon
Zelda-yes

KillaFrmNY

Smash Ace
No low tier characters are underated. If they move on the list, they will probably replace eachother in spots. Maybe mario is the only character in low that can move to mid.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Lucario is commonly underrated by the people who consider him overrated.

Lucario isn't overrated. He's just good.

Tier-wise, I can't say anyone is really overrated, and everyone is pretty much exactly where they should be at this point in time.

mc4

Smash Journeyman

Umm.. that's nearly half of the character roster, just NO.
yeah i actually did mention about half the roster lol, but it just so happens that half are underrated, those are all the characters that i don't see that often in tourneys= underrated, just imo ofcourse. Every character on the game has potential to be very good or the people who made the game had a hidden agenda and planned for metaknight to always dominate lol i don't think so.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I definitly think Toon Link is underrated, but will most likly move up when the next tier list is updated. =D

Luigi needs to be placed higher. I guess no one plays him much. He has amazing aerials and his F-Smash angled up KOs at crazy low percentages.

Link doesnt deserve to be 2nd lowest on the tier list. People say he cant recovery but still...Projectiles and power cmon!

Jiiglypuff isnt all that great but I can see moving up a few places. or not...

Captain Falcon cant be the worst charater in the game. I REFUSE TO BELIEVE IT!!! :@

Overrated: Falco

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Link doesnt deserve to be 2nd lowest on the tier list. People say he cant recovery but still...Projectiles and power cmon!
You probably mean *** AWN!

I'd say that characters like DK, Luigi and Wario are rather underrated - not judging on their tier placement, but rather because I hardly see any DK-, Luigi- or Wario-mains posting about their character outside of the respective boards.

When it comes to the tier-placements, I'd say that Ganondorf is - not only because of the Flight of Ganon - one of those who are placed too low.
I'd also think that the Mario Bros. and the MOTHER characters could move up quite a bit.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
ROB is super overrated. His edgegame and recovery are excellent, but those are the only things ROB excells in.
His projectiles aren't even as good as everybody says they are. Marth is an obviously better character than ROB as well.
In the next tier list, ROB will probably switch place with Marth, then go at least 2 more rankings down.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Pokemon Trainer is a bit underrated, and I could see him moving up a little bit.
Luigi may move up as well, because he is lower than he should be.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
I think Fox should go to High Tiers, but then again he's exactly at his place for some reason. He does have some bad match-ups (Pikachu)

I think Marth is a bit Overrated, and so is Wolf. Both don't do that well. Marth has a hard time killing, cause you have to tip your opponent which isn't that easy. Wolf is to slow and his recovery is weird and dumb.

Top Bottom