• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Underrated/Overrated

Super Angry Luigi

Smash Apprentice
I have to say that Luigi is overrated. Yeah he's my favorite character and all, but I really don't see why everyone thinks that he's better in Brawl than he was in Melee. He seems horribly nerfed to me.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I have to say that Luigi is overrated. Yeah he's my favorite character and all, but I really don't see why everyone thinks that he's better in Brawl than he was in Melee. He seems horribly nerfed to me.
Even though you main Luigi, you still don't see his true potental that I see?!?! His recovery is better, his Side-B don't kill him if your near the edge, his air moves are much better, except for his Down-Air. Side-Smash kills more than ever, his Up-Smash is weaker though... I could bore you but I don't feel like it. If you ask me, he still got move to do that nobody used yet. ;D

•Col•

Smash Champion
Ike is pretty underrated.

It's funny when you can go to any character boards, look at their matchup guide, and see that Ike is 3-7 saying "He's really strong but really slow. Just dodge his attacks and you'll win." xD

Joak

Smash Cadet
Overrated: Final Destination...

Underrated: PK, should be high tier atleast. So much veriety in their game, since he changes char/playstyle in every match. Squirtle is very good, fantastic air-game. Hydroplaning alows unpredictible approaches. Ivysaur is a damage racking/KOing beast, 'nuff said. Charizard is heavy, has great recovery, good damage, great grab-game, KO's easily, pretty fast for a heavy, and is just a general BA. Too sum that up: Squirtle = High-mid, Ivasaur = High, Charizard = High-top. PK = High of high tier.

Ice Climbers, they are broken in pretty much every way, except recovery. One grab = One stock. They have good attack power. They can't be grabbed, since the non-grabbed climber could just smash the grabber away. However if you manage to kill Nana before you're grabbed, you will KO. Popo + Nana = Top tier, Popo = Mid tier.
Just my opinion...

holysnap

Smash Cadet
I think diddy kong is underrated i used to think hes a piece of cake until I fought this banana/combo crazy one that was SOO annoying. Also sheik, samus, pikachu and yoshi are underrated.

Ok I think Falco, and DDD are underrated, I mean really it isnt impossible to beat either of them

Tenki

Smash Hero
Ike is pretty underrated.

It's funny when you can go to any character boards, look at their matchup guide, and see that Ike is 3-7 saying "He's really strong but really slow. Just dodge his attacks and you'll win." xD
Yeah lol.

That's why all Ike needs to do is to like, run at someone, run through them and pivot grab, because they're probably spotdodging. And if not, they're rolling lol.

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
Ganondorf is so underrated its laughable. You make one mistake and you could have 50 + damage tacked on to you faster than you can say "I dropped my cousin's lasagna in the pool".

ZSS is another one who is underrated. She already has pretty decent placing, but you never really hear much about her, maybe she just needs more rep?

G&W is overrated, that is why I play him, if people put you on a pedestal because of the character you pick, good for you.

MK is so overrated. People are too busy sucking MK d!ck to realize that he is highly beatable.

.CMW.

Illusive

Smash Apprentice
People outside Smashboards tend to underrate heavy, "slow" characters (DK, Bowser, Wario) and overrate fast characters (Fox)

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Underrated: Peach, Mario, Toon Link.

Overrated: DeDeDe.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Zero Suit Samus is definatly underrated.

hippyman69

Smash Apprentice
falcon is way overrated, dont deny this fact. bottom of the tier list?? not even. lol

DDM

Smash Journeyman
King Dedede is very overrated. Without the chaingrab horse crap he's got nothing, at least on the high-speed characters. I love running circles around his fat backside.

Underrated... I think what gets lost among the Foxes and Zamuses is how much of a pain Link can still be. Guess it all has to do with matchups.

Umby

Smash Master
King Dedede is very overrated. Without the chaingrab horse crap he's got nothing, at least on the high-speed characters. I love running circles around his fat backside.
He's still got Waddle spam, ftilt, utilt, high ass amount of invincibility frames on his side step, and his aerial/off-stage game still shits on a lot of people.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
I think Mario is better than the list puts him out to be. He's probably the least played character, and he's horribly underrepresented.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hmmm... I'd say Pit is underrated. A good Pit can be VERY tough to beat.

Ike is also underrated, which is weird considering he started off grossly overrated, at least by people off smashboards. A good Ike playing defensively with a good spacing game can be tough as well, and considering no real useful ATs have been found for him yet (I'm not counting that Iron jacket thing, since it really doesn't seem extremely useful or practical), he has a lot of growth potential.

Ganon is also underrated, though not by as much as Ike. The evil king has a significant amount of lag on his moves, but most of his aerials are cancelable, and a defensive Ganon can seriously mess up a lot of opponents. On top of that, he has great range, good combo ability (contrary to popular belief), an excellent edge game, the "LULZ IT'S GANON! NOOB!" factor, and he can turn the tide of battle with just a few well placed hits. Unfortunately, he does have a lot of bad matchups, so even if he did get the rep he deserves, he probably wouldn't go up by a whole lot.

Yoshi might actually be a bit overrated though. I don't remember where he is on the tier list, but it seems like some Yoshi mains treat him like a messiah, and while he's definitely a good character, he's not perfect.

IMO Diddy also seems overrated. Sure, he's amazing, but it seems if you know the matchup, he isn't as hard as people make him out to be, though what do I know, it's been a long time since I've played a good Diddy.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
MK is not overrated at all. He's the best player in the game and almost unbeatable. Please, enlighten me with your tactics if he's easily beatable. And underrated characters like ganondorf are underrated for certain reasons. I don't care how many mistakes I make, that doesn't mean I'm going to get a 50+ damage hit landed on me. Most of the time ganondorf is to slow to hit me anyways and he has to resort to grabbing. It depends on how you use them, but the tier list and match up threads pretty much say who should be underrated.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Underrated? Wario

Hmmm... I'd say Pit is underrated. A good Pit can be VERY tough to beat.
I agree. If all Pits played like Danny then things would be different. I've got to copy his edgecamping game...

IMO Diddy also seems overrated. Sure, he's amazing, but it seems if you know the matchup, he isn't as hard as people make him out to be, though what do I know, it's been a long time since I've played a good Diddy.
Diddy is right where he should be. He is a monster in the right hands.

G&W is overrated, that is why I play him, if people put you on a pedestal because of the character you pick, good for you.

MK is so overrated. People are too busy sucking MK d!ck to realize that he is highly beatable.
You sir, are completely insane.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
And underrated characters like ganondorf are underrated for certain reasons. I don't care how many mistakes I make, that doesn't mean I'm going to get a 50+ damage hit landed on me. Most of the time ganondorf is to slow to hit me anyways and he has to resort to grabbing. It depends on how you use them, but the tier list and match up threads pretty much say who should be underrated.
Heh... yeah, you won't get hit by something that does quite that much, but some of his harder hitting moves (like his stomp) are pretty easy to hit with, especially out of shield. On top of that, his aerials outrange a lot of people, and most can be ACed. However, like you say, he does have a LOT of bad matchups, so yeah, I'm not saying he warrants god tier or anything like that. You're still better off switching if you want to fight a MK, Marth or some of his other horrible matchups, but he is better than what people make him out to be.

Also, while Ganon does have good throws, his T-rex arm grab range is so bad that few people "resort" to grabbing, rather throwing it in (Oh pun!) every now and again.

As for Wario... I couldn't say, you never seem to hear ANYTHING about him, good or bad, unless someone brings up CGs and grab releases... >.<

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Zero Suit Samus is definatly underrated.

I really don't think Zero Suit Zamus is
hot wise is why I say she isn't underrated
, rather I believe Samus is due to her major nerfing in her projectiles as well as her Chaged Shot which was a major letdown.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
obviously Sonic is the most underated, he can arguable be the most technical to play (look at the amount of cancels this kid can do)

as for overated it's probably MK..................lol but seriously I don't know

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Overrated:
Falco - Beyond his chain grab, he doesn't have that much to work with. His only really good KO move is too slow (f-smash) so if he doesn't get the chain grab to d-air, the opponent can expect to live to a high percent.

Bowser - wth does he do to deserve that huge high spot on the tier list? His attacks come out a little faster now and have more priority than Melee, but is still slow and is still a big target, and lacks a vertical recovery which makes him somewhat gimp bait.

Slightly-Overrated:
Snake - This would be more true if it was back when everyone was on that Snake bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, he's good, but he still has quite a few bad matchups.

Slightly-Underrated:
Link - Link has tech skills that are really good, but they are almost always ignored because of his horrible recovery. I wouldn't move him up very far (if at all), but even if in the future, he turns out to deserve the spot he currently is in, he is at least real fun to watch.

Underrated:
Pit - I never thought I would say that Pit is underrated. It's funny that when the game first came out, he was the most overrated character, but now is the opposite imo. the only two thoughts that come to mind when people think of Pit is super spam arrows and an easy gimpable recovery. Pit is plenty capable of fighting, and when a Pit player mixes up enough, he can do fair.

About People's BS opinions:
Metaknight - MK is where he is at because he really is that good. People tend to emphasis on his skills here for mostly joke sakes, but I guess others tend to read to deep into that. Regardless, Metaknight currently is the best character in the game.

Pokemon Trainer - If you could just play as Charizard the whole time, he would be fine. If you didn't get weaker the longer you played, he would be fine. Too bad for Pokemon Trainer, he is forced to utilize all three of them because if he doesn't, his pokes get tired. Heck, they get tired anyways and too quickly because attacking for some reason speeds up the process. This really hurts them when facing campy or defensive players.

RubenSSBB

Smash Apprentice
Overrated:
sonic
T.link
pit (mostly spammers)
MK

Underrated
bowser
peach
lucario
i havent play vs them.. and there are a few good pit mainers

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Underrated: PT
Reason: OK, most PTs out there (or, at least the hard core ones) will admit that PT won't be top tier, or high tier at this rate, but he isn't THAT low. Charizard is obviously the best of the three, and the other two have their opportunities. He is rather untapped (well, we did manage to get a gallon out of him, but that isn't much in comparison to Lucario or Meta Knight), so We can't definitely deem him horrid. We just need one guy (or gal) to find a way to utilize him to his fullest (By this rule, Yoshi is also underrated)

Overrated: Nobody, except Falco's Dtaunt (Darn slurring Prey, now everyone except me thinks' it's bread)

BlackaDenBlack

Smash Cadet
I think that Ness is slightly underrated. And MK is the best for a reason. Although he doesn't have much endurance, his amount of jumps, quickness, speed, grabs and combos make him the best on all accounts.

Tamoo

Smash Master
sum of my friends reckon olimar is underrated and possibly broken cos they cant seem to get past mine... personally, i think hes right where he is cos if u know how to combat him, he's easy, just dont let him stand there chuckin pikmin at you.. I think marth is overrated tbh, hes way too predictable and i think bowser is underrated cos he is just a beast if used well.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Most Underrated- Yoshi, is a really unique character, and if you play him for more than a couple matches you start to find a whole bunch of little tricks that other characters can't do. Is a very technical character, i'd say second only to Link. Also he is one of very few characters that don't suffer a huge disadvantage to that God Metaknight.

Underrated- Samus, she suffered a huge fan dispersal at the release of the game bcuz her projectiles were nerfed thus making lots of ppl believe she now sucked, were she really doesn't do that bad, she's just severly under represented

Overrated - Snake, i've held the opinion that over time he will run out of tricks to utilize in battle. However his godly tilts will keep him high tier for sure. Give it time and snake will slowly decline.

Most Overated- Falco, take away the chaingrab and he's the worst spacie.

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
Ike is extremely underrated. All of the n00bs messed up his reputation by F-Smashing all over the place. Ike should definitely make it to upper mid-high tier. Perhaps one overrated person is wario, I harrdly find any decent ones.

Top Bottom