• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Underrated/Overrated

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
Underrated

Mario- He can screw over every character in the game while they are recovering easily, except like Game and Watch. Plus he has very good psuedo-combo/combo ability and he has an OK time killing. The bad part about him is his recovery. He has the FLUDD hover nozzel, the cape he can use to fly, and the Luma Spin. Use one of them to recover Mario, please. I think Mario deserves mid-mid tier rather than low.
Yeah...what the **** is up with that?

Mario had three potential recovery moves that actually came from his games, while Luigi's side-B and down-B are completely made up psudeo recovery moves. I'm pretty pissed now that I realize this.

toon_marth

Smash Ace
Pit is way too overrated. Come on, such short range? One projectile? They played him out to be godly when brawl was released. Anyway, jigglypuff is underrated. Seriously, that B special= pwnage. Ganondorf is very underrated. Moveset is just like Cpt. Faclcon's but better because hes so powerful. And like hyper ridley said, he really isnt all that slow when you quick-cancel a few laggy frames.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Maybe it's just me, but I think Snake is really over-rated. I just fight him rather slow and cumbersome.

Now, Lucas... my boy. He's low tier, if I'm not mistaken. He deserves a lot more than that.

Justblaze647

Smash Lord
Running for my life in the forests of Eelong
Pit is way too overrated. Come on, such short range? One projectile? They played him out to be godly when brawl was released. Anyway, jigglypuff is underrated. Seriously, that B special= pwnage.
You forgot to mention the fact that his one projectile can be aimed... any where (and its super fast)... oh and the fact that he has... two reflectors...

and Jiggly sux...

z3r0C0oL

Smash Apprentice
Zelda, sheik, Sonic, Fox, Peach, and ZSS are underrated/underrepresented.

Play some really good players that use those characters and they can be some of the most frustrating matches ever.

Id say Marth is overrated, I always use Fox against him as a "counter-pick" and always do great, And Marth boards say its 80-20 in Marths favor 8/

Sonic on the Rocks

Smash Lord
Anybody ever noticed it's alot harder to see the difference between characters at oppisite tiers than two in middle tier?

For example, I train my Captain Falcon on Meta Knights, and I usually win. But when I play Mario vs. Luigi, I almost always lose to Weegee.

Anyway:

Overated:

Meta Knight
Dedede
Marth

Underated:

Sonic
Captian Falcon
Ness

Mith_

Smash Champion
To be honest, Bowser is a character who is indeed very underrated. Reason is because of Bowser's large size, people tend to think he's slow, therefore making him an easy target, when the fact of a matter is that he really isn't all that bad, people should learn and understand a characters flaws before assuming they have them.

Obviously Meta is overrated so...
I used to think the same thing with Donkey Kong. Until I actually got good at the game and learned to play with him. Now he's my main :D

:079:

Zenthewanderer

Smash Apprentice
Overrated? Snake, Falco, DK, and Wario.

Underrated? Sonic, PT, Link, Mario, Olimar, and Lucas. I'd say Lucario too, but as of late I'm seeing more people that accept his tier placement and abilities.

I may have forgotten one or two, but for me, that sums it nicely.

Lovely

Smash Lord
I think my Ice Climbers are overrated because people pick them for chain grabs only. ;_;

But I think my poor little Samus can do better than people say she could.

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
Overrated: D3, Falco and MK.

Underrated: Kirby, Link, Lucas, Marth, Ness, Pit, Tink and ZSS,

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
The most overratged characters are ROB, Fox and Zelda
The most underrated characters are Sheik, Bowser and Zero Suit Samus

Tenki

Smash Hero
I wouldn't think Fox is overrated. I think a lot of people accept his mediocrity.
Fox boards take a huuuge liking to talking about punishing movements, more than Sonic boards.

their character loyalty, IMO, surpasses Sonic fanboy levels sometimes :laugh:

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Sonic is underrated, but he still sucks.
He's agrevating to fight though, when I face a good/pro Sonic main that masters Spin Dash, I sometimes feel like jumping off the edge becasue of the unpredictableness of that attack can be used for. At least it's not a huge pain in Kirby's invisible azz. -_-;

I should say Kirby is underplayed compare to Meta Knight and King Dedede. =/

Umby

Smash Master
He's agrevating to fight though, when I face a good/pro Sonic main that masters Spin Dash, I sometimes feel like jumping off the edge becasue of the unpredictableness of that attack can be used for. At least it's not a huge pain in Kirby's invisible azz. -_-;

I should say Kirby is underplayed compare to Meta Knight and King Dedede. =/

Wait, you play Kirby and find Sonic aggrivating to fight? @_@ I find it the other way around when I play as Sonic.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
The thing is: Fox isn't even mediocre. He's bad. His match-up's suck balls. He doesn't have one single advantage to any top/high tier character and only one in mid tier (Bowser)

Tenki

Smash Hero
Wait, you play Kirby and find Sonic aggrivating to fight? @_@ I find it the other way around when I play as Sonic.
Some of the matches are like that.

Like Peach vs Sonic. Most aggravating matchup for me as Sonic, ever. But the Peach players I've seen are like 'omgggg i'm glad it's over D:'

PS, you still play Sonic, right? XD

Umby

Smash Master
Some of the matches are like that.

Like Peach vs Sonic. Most aggravating matchup for me as Sonic, ever. But the Peach players I've seen are like 'omgggg i'm glad it's over D:'

PS, you still play Sonic, right? XD
Yeah, I still MAIN him in Brawl. I just don't feel like having a Brawl character icon in my profile atm.

Also about Peach vs Sonic. From the matches I've played with them, they take about as long as Sonic dittos. @_@

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
The mindset to playing Fox is completely different from playing other characters. You should read some of their threads. They've really thought up some excellent playstyles to utilize Fox's speed.

Though, none of them are good enough to do well with them yet LOL.

(I heard Fox is one of the most popular Brawl characters in Japan... and that they play him very well and much better than any western Fox. I'd like to see videos.)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Underrated:

Shiek: No where as good as she was in Melee but still very impressive in the right hands.

Mario: Another character who takes a decent amount of skill to use and one of the few characters who can still deal out reliable strings of attacks.

Fox: Obviously, not as good in Melee but still a pretty solid character overall.

Overrated:

Yoshi: Yeah, I said it. Despite being called a supposed Metaknight counter in some circles, I still don't he's a very good character overall especially when he still gets absolutely wrecked by everyone else in the high tiers. I understand that a lot of work has been put into it but Yoshi mains need to stop talking as if he's magically going to land in the high tier someday.

Mr. Game and Watch: I don't know why but I've never had that much trouble with this character. I know, it's an incredibly one sided view point, but I still don't see him as the absolute beast that people make him out to be. Granted, I understand how he's high tier but he seems to have more exploitable weaknesses than some of the others.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I agree with FMOI, except for the G&W thing lol. He is a beast.

Olimar is very underrated. He can combo the **** out of people and can avoid many attacks due to his small stature. Only thing keeping him down is his roflcovery.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Luigi is also underated Hes better than Mario Why does Mario always beat Luigi?
Luigi's da green Reaper hes da real Plummeh Mama Mia!

BEES

Smash Lord
The thing is: Fox isn't even mediocre. He's bad. His match-up's suck balls. He doesn't have one single advantage to any top/high tier character and only one in mid tier (Bowser)
I used to think Fox was underrated, but now I'm not sure. He has 2 hard counters and a number of characters that are just too tedious to fight. He's very vulnerable to chaingrabs. The amount of work required to play him is unreasonable.

Snake is a royal pain in the *** to try to fight with Fox. It's an almost effortless match for Falco in comparison.

I'm starting to think Sonic is the superior character. Switching between the two, his fights seem easier. Partly I think it's due to the priority on his F-air, and his superior jumps.

M.K

Level 55
Underrated:

Pokemon Trainer- Nobody has tapped into his potential yet. Anyone who can get good with all three characters sure has some good potential...

Ness- Yep, he's got some good things going, and some bad things going, but he's got some pretty insane moves.

Overrated:

King Dedede- Yep, I said it. It is most likely the fact that I can't use him, but I have NO idea how in the WORLD he is that high.

Wario- He just isn't THAT good. Sorry.

Top Bottom