• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Subject: thank you..

for showing me a real phoenix gg!

I managed to get three friend requests and a complimentary message for playing Phoenix on point in a public lobby. Wat.
oh wow, u play phoenix on point... thats tight lol. do u go fir dark phoenix or play her normal?

:phone:

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Both, if that makes any sense at all. I try to get to level 5, but if it doesn't work out, X-23 is my backup anchor.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Both, if that makes any sense at all. I try to get to level 5, but if it doesn't work out, X-23 is my backup anchor.
assuming u get dark phoenix and have your other two characters still...will u switch her out to get meter or use dark phoenix as your point still?

:phone:

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Phoenix is actually pretty boss on point. It's a lot riskier if you're taking her into real competitive matches like that, rather than focusing on Phoenix/Dark Phoenix as your anchor-- but with the right team setup, yeah. Phoenix has a lot of nice cross-up options with assists, TK shots and teleports.

It's nice to know how to use Phoenix on point if you use her in a team anyway. If someone manages to tag her in near the beginning of the match, you don't want to be on constant defense, trying to play keepaway until you can tag another character back in. You're more likely to lose her by playing defensively than you would being offensive. Lol.

But good job, Serris.
What assists do you use with Phoenix on point?

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I still don't see why you do it TBH.
Because I like Jean Grey as a character, and I personally think that Phoenix is the most fun to use out of everyone in the roster.

assuming u get dark phoenix and have your other two characters still...will u switch her out to get meter or use dark phoenix as your point still?
Depends. If it's Hulk, Thor, or Sentinel, I'll keep her out. I have a mid-screen zero-to-death combo that will kill them on hit confirm.

Phoenix is actually pretty boss on point. It's a lot riskier if you're taking her into real competitive matches like that, rather than focusing on Phoenix/Dark Phoenix as your anchor-- but with the right team setup, yeah. Phoenix has a lot of nice cross-up options with assists, TK shots and teleports.

It's nice to know how to use Phoenix on point if you use her in a team anyway. If someone manages to tag her in near the beginning of the match, you don't want to be on constant defense, trying to play keepaway until you can tag another character back in. You're more likely to lose her by playing defensively than you would being offensive. Lol.

But good job, Serris.
What assists do you use with Phoenix on point?
I agree. That's why I stopped using her as my third and put her up front. It's risky, but it's fun. Putting Phoenix on point gives you the psychological advantage against your opponent. They don't know what to expect. If you floor them, they'll do anything they can to snap her out rather than keep her in. It's also great practice in general. I managed to take out Savon's She-Hulk and Dormammu without switching her out during our last set.

As for assists, I use Katana-Rama and Ankle Slice. Katana-Rama comes into play when I'm doing my Phoenix BnB, Ankle Slice for mix-ups. My style is mostly rush with some keep-away thrown in.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
So why can't Phoenix disintegrate people like in the X-Men movie?

I would use her then.
The movie incarnation of her was an abomination, in terms of execution of the movie itself and faithfulness to the source material when writing Jean into it. I can see the whole alternate personality thing, but substituting a firebird aura for necrotized skin, glowing hair, and over-dilated pupils was horrendous. Besides, burning the life out of your opponents in a psionic fire sounds infinitely more painful and therefore better to me.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
lulz Im not getting anymore challenges on xbox anymore.. It's sad when people rage vs my Chris.. Im just playing the way he should be played..

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I bet those SRK peeps are getting mad salty for all of these Smashers coming in and beating then in their own game?

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Serris I actually kinda understand why you put Phoenix on point.

I feel the same way about Sentinel, even though he isn't apparently "good" on point.

He is definitely my best character with Doom close behind him.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
The thing with putting Phoenix on point is that there are always two outcomes. Either you die horribly on hit confirm, or you beat the living hell out of your opponent.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i loooove ____, morrigan, phoenix team

just kinda difficult to find a character i like who is good at fighting by him/herself

i nerf myself a lot LOL. i don't like magneto, wesker, zero, whatev.

but the good thing is that u can play a runaway character with morrigan assist and still be playing 'offense'

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I love Crimson Viper even more now that I learned how to use her Thunder Knight H loop. Now I don't have to worry about wasting bars nonstop with her when I'm trying to build up for Phoenix. lulz.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Sad that there won't be a WNF for awhile since it's taking a break. The semester's over for me finally and I even got a 360 arcade stick.
Guess I'll just practice on my defense and stuff in the mean time.

I'll be on PSN later today, so if anyone on PSN wants to play me, just send an invite.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
No, but they said in an interview that they are working on expanding the game. Whether that means a Super version or more DLC is still open to debate, though.

_Dice

Smash Ace
Man if i can consistantly do a jump canceled wavedash land canceled special with haggar and hulk i've just increased their speed by like 50%.

Pretty much the idea is, that they each have a few moves that are auto cancelled on landing, and you can jump cancel the dash for hulk and the wavedash for haggar. the moves that autocancel keep their momentum, meaning you can dash/wavedash jump do the move and dash again fairly rapidly, while building speed.

for hulk this would pretty much just give him a complicated wave dash approach that he didn't previous have. for haggar this would allow him to move significantly faster and pressure with pipe and ignore advancing guard.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
That's pretty cool.

I was trying to figure stuff like that out for Sentinel.

Best I came up with was super quick air.m.

Fly>unfly>air.m(or s)

It cancels as you hit the ground but the move still comes out.

You can combo air.m into crouching m!!!

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Nope, I feel like it gives me greater pressure and hitbox coverage than with the other assists. It works really well with Cap's Cartwheel. Much better results than when I used Weasel Shot.

_Dice

Smash Ace
heh gamma hurricane combos into crystal assist into a full hulk combo, meaning it becomes a HELL of a mixup if you do it right. get combo'd or....get combo'd.

Top Bottom