• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top ten at Apex 2013 predictions.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
This thread is so entertaining. Top 8 will be the top 8 of the western hemisphere.

:phone:
This man speaks the truth. leffen & Armada 9th place? I can see it happening.
... this is trolling right

please tell me it's trolling

2nd 4th (sick) 2nd 2nd 1st 1st, no tourney losses in about 2 years, strong as ever in Europe, list goes on, what more do you need

Tell me, if Armada gets 9th, who does he lose to? In both Winners and Losers. Let's see this imagined bracket.

Landry

Smash Ace

2nd 4th (sick) 2nd 2nd 1st 1st, no tourney losses in about 2 years, strong as ever in Europe, list goes on, what more do you need

Tell me, if Armada gets 9th, who does he lose to? In both Winners and Losers. Let's see this imagined bracket.
s2j and hax

:troll:

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
My staff's job is to make sure the tournament runs well and to do what we can to ensure people at the VENUE's experience is great. Our streamers are to broadcast the EVENT not a MM. That being said it is not out of the question but not our first, second, or even third priority.

MM schedule is a little much TBH for our staff to worry about especially with the amount of people coming and the setup we are doing.

IF they want to MM and there is time to put them on stream AFTER everything is done maybe if not then just have someone record it.

Mahie

Smash Lord
My staff's job is to make sure the tournament runs well and to do what we can to ensure people at the VENUE's experience is great. Our streamers are to broadcast the EVENT not a MM. That being said it is not out of the question but not our first, second, or even third priority.

MM schedule is a little much TBH for our staff to worry about especially with the amount of people coming and the setup we are doing.

IF they want to MM and there is time to put them on stream AFTER everything is done maybe if not then just have someone record it.
Understandable. What if someone was to stream it using his phone or something during non-Melee events on the main stream ? Would you allow it ?

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
stuff

then things
Makes sense. As long as hype MM's end up recorded, that's all I need. Preferably with crowd hype. Speaking of crowd hype, please make sure we can hear the crowd hype XD If possible, that is. One of my main sadnesses from last Apex was that it didn't feel like I could hear the crowd as well as, say, a Genesis tournament. Maybe it was just my imagination though.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
there are a few reasons the streamers do the things a specific way. We will try to accommodate the best experience on the broadcast. I will ask if we can get more sounds for the crowds ( nothing too major ) but I want things a little more e-sports then what people think it should be. It helps us in the long run.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Well they want to block out the sound for the commentators, of course it's entirely possible for things to be chanted loud enough to be recorded on the commentators mic at the perfect volume...on the other hand they could get a crowd specific mic that's at a lower volume. That would be taking it a bit further, not that hard though to add another sound channel/pay for a ****ty mic since no one is speaking into it directly.

It's what most sports do, adds so much to the atmosphere when watching. Crowds in soccer are iconic...I don't think picking up any of the controller sounds would work the same way they do in hockey though : P

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Took the words out of my mouth. Our streamers are amazing and will do an amazing job like always. Have faith if you guys know how to do that :D

B_AWAL

Smash Master
javi getting top 6 easily. also not losing to any falcons.
Ummm.... THeres this guy named Mango

O & PP isn't losing to Javi again....

KK vs Amsah
M2K vs Javi
Mango vs Armada
Hbox vs Axe
PP vs Javi
Hbox vs Mango
Kage vs PP

These need to happen

Brawl

ESAM vs Otori
9B vs Anti
Mikeneiko vs DEHF
Earth vs Trela

:sonic:

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
if i do it would be a lot smaller in scale.

I do Apex/Zenith/ Other projects to help all the communities. Apex takes a lot of work and too many Apex-like events really hurt chances of OOC coming. They should come only once a year and , in the case of Japan, can ONLY come on specific days.

I do my events but i do not make them as big as apex only cause of the hassle...also i like to do grassroots once in a while to keep me humble.

Battlecow

Play to Win
You guys are silly. Leffen will make you cry.

I'd be shocked if he doesn't make top 9. I had heard of the American arrogance but assumed it was limited to coastal metropolises (oh wait)

Battlecow, I'm no fan of Leffen's attitude, but you are silly to say that 2nd in Europe is 33rd in America. Such a placing was the exception, I think, and this year you'll see that.

Tear it up, Leffen.

"I'm no fan of leffen's attitude"

"tear it up, Leffen!"

Sounds like we got ourselves a TRAITOR, boys! String 'im up.

no but seriously

you're wrong

I hate this idea of it being "arrogance" or something. Rooting for your team is not the same as being arrogant. Rooting against leffen isn't arrogant, either, it's common ****ing sense, rooting for leffen is like rooting for the bullies in "The Karate Kid"

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
Nah, pro tennis doesn't guarantee 1v4 and 2v3. The 1st and 2nd seeds are put on different sides, but that's it. Also, I don't think Apex 2013 will go by strict 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5... there is a lot more hype and excitement to be had when there is creative control over the matchups instead of going by the book.
I really don't like this Juggleguy. While I agree that a strict 1v8 2v7 etc... draw isn't completely neccesary, creative control and trying to create specific matches should be frowned upon. TO's have no business manipulating a bracket attempting to create anything other than maximum fairness.

As a side note, in tennis 1st and second seeds are put on opposite sides but there are a ton more steps to creating a bracket.

Seeds 3-4 are randomly drawn into semi finals, seeds 5-8 are randomly drawn into quarters, 9-16 into 4th round, 17-32 into 3rd round, this ensures the integrity of the bracket. So while it won't a completely traditional bracket, the top 4 won't play eachother until quarters and no seeded players will square off until round 3 at the earliest.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
But Leffen is the best Fox in Europe...and he has a badass attitude. How could you not cheer for him? He's the closest thing Europe has to Mango (aka Based Smasher)

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Seeds 3-4 are randomly drawn into semi finals, seeds 5-8 are randomly drawn into quarters, 9-16 into 4th round, 17-32 into 3rd round, this ensures the integrity of the bracket. So while it won't a completely traditional bracket, the top 4 won't play eachother until quarters and no seeded players will square off until round 3 at the earliest.
So seed Mango/Armada/Hbox/PP accordingly.

If the Apex crew seeds by seed 5-8, 9-16 etc randomly and players end up playing the same people they play all the time from the same region, or a similar bracket in winners to the last apex that would be pretty lame.

I agree with seeding them 5-8, 9-16 etc, but the creative control allows for matchups that haven't happened within those bounds to happen. That also seems the "fairest" as people are traveling thousands of miles to come to apex. To do so and then play players you play often would suck.

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
So seed Mango/Armada/Hbox/PP accordingly.

If the Apex crew seeds by seed 5-8, 9-16 etc randomly and players end up playing the same people they play all the time from the same region, or a similar bracket in winners to the last apex that would be pretty lame.

I agree with seeding them 5-8, 9-16 etc, but the creative control allows for matchups that haven't happened within those bounds to happen. That also seems the "fairest" as people are traveling thousands of miles to come to apex. To do so and then play players you play often would suck.
Regions definitley do make it difficult. I guess in regards to fairness I was thinking more of how lame it would be for instance, to be a top CF and have Armada (relatively) early in your bracket simply because people want to see a hype matchup and your main fits the bill.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord

Definitely not trolling. I mean, I would be surprised if Armada did not place top 4, but I can foresee an instance where he doesn't place top 8.

Players that I think could possibly beat him? Mango, Hungrybox, Dr. Peepee, Mew2King, Javi, leffen, KirbyKaze, Axe, and Hax, to name a few. I can imagine a bracket where it plays out.

Though, admittedly, I would be surprised if it did.

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
did i already say that

if anyone has a chance of taking down armada it's mew2king

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
I hope m2k wins even more than strong bad hopes that kirbykaze and mango won't play each other

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Armada has too much determination/skill to not place top 4. Armada is going to win; he might even have some more pockets, who knows? :)

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
@Chenjesu:Not that I wouldn't want to see Jason take armada, and not to say I don't think he can, but to say you think he has the best chance is strange when there are plenty of players who show much stronger performances vs armada, not to mention pp, mango, HBox, they've all taken sets, and general speaking they have more potential with that alone

Imo

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I really don't like this Juggleguy. While I agree that a strict 1v8 2v7 etc... draw isn't completely neccesary, creative control and trying to create specific matches should be frowned upon. TO's have no business manipulating a bracket attempting to create anything other than maximum fairness.

As a side note, in tennis 1st and second seeds are put on opposite sides but there are a ton more steps to creating a bracket.

This style of bracket separation that you described for tennis is actually exactly what I think should be done for Apex. Who are we to say what the exact overall seeds are in the first place? Just as a hypothetical example, if you asked me who should deserve the 6th 7th and 8th seeds between Axe, Shroomed, and Javi, there's no way I could give you an objective answer to that because the Smash community doesn't have enough data -- there are the Apex qualifiers, but those aren't anywhere near the same as the full season that pro sports have. But it is still feasible to have constraints that put the overall 1-2 on opposite sides, the overall 3-4 drawn into semis, the overall 5-8 drawn into quarters, and so on, like you said.

When I say "creative control" I don't mean that there should be attempts to create specific matchups. I just don't believe in clicking "Create Bracket" in tio and stubbornly sticking with the very first result out of some misguided sense of overall fairness. Let's say 1-2 is one block, then 3-4 is another block, then 5-8, and so on. If there is an opportunity to disconnect two players that have played WAY too much for no reason (i.e. S2J vs Armada second round) and connect two players for a never-before-seen matchup (i.e. Armada vs KirbyKaze), all while satisfying the block constraints and seeding constraints coming out of bracket pools, then I'd argue that route should be taken over sticking with the results of a random draw like pro tennis does.

Landry

Smash Ace
That's a really good explanation Juggleguy. Normally I would be one of the guys arguing for a strictly seeded bracket but in this I like your way of thinking better.

edit: also...

Unless they take each other out, I expect two from Mexico in the top eight! Also, I'll put money on Javi, AZA and .JPG on any MM they play!
There's no way two Mexican players will take Top 8. I'm not even entirely convinced Javi can get back there.

Luigigoshard91

Smash Apprentice
Predictions: hmmm lets see... 1.myself 2.mango 3.pp 4.armada 5.hbox 6.wobbles.......kidding about that first one but theres my top 5 after that.

Top Bottom