• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

THRILLER: This was it. Congrats to Cao, Amaterasu, Tibs, Shaya, Meteor and Unreon <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Ilag I would team with you no questions asked but I'm already with ted, sorry dude.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Holy moly its ILAG.

Roll out the red carpet.

Yeah Alzi, the tournament is being played over two days...
Brawl Singles pools day 1, bracket day 2. Brawl doubles will be day two as well.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I remember teaming with ilag in melee, that was the best **** ever.

and I remember playing him in melee doubles and he had a lv9 luigi that just kept running over to him and attacking him lol

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I have some questions about the Melee tournament:

1. Is the tournament going to feature all PAL, all NTSC, or a mixture of NTSC/PAL (like in previous tournaments)? Since this is a major, I'll approach it seriously and choose to play on PAL where possible, since Peach has a better chance of victory in it.

2. How is seeding / interstate separation going to work, especially in the finals double elimination bracket? I don't want to be fighting any Victorians early.

3. The ruleset? Please post.

Rad

Smash Ace

look out for me on the day
- i am terrible at brawl
- i don't expect to win
- i don't intend to try and win
- i like doubles because losing is fun
- i am terrible at brawl

i'll probs have a sign like the one in the picture​

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP

1. Is the tournament going to feature all PAL, all NTSC, or a mixture of NTSC/PAL (like in previous tournaments)? Since this is a major, I'll approach it seriously and choose to play on PAL where possible, since Peach has a better chance of victory in it.

2. How is seeding / interstate separation going to work, especially in the finals double elimination bracket? I don't want to be fighting any Victorians early.

1. It is some what S.Ds domain. But I would be probably disappointed if he felt NTSC should be run.

2. My seeding system <3 Plus since when have you not seen me seed well? :p Even though wait, Its melee. S.D will probably be seeding that as he sees fit even though Ill help him out with pools and whatnot.

3. S.D, are you using the latest MBR rule set or the one you gave me (which includes random starters for example?)

-

Brawl rule set will have strong ties to the boost rule set.
I will probably increase the starters list to 7 or 9 though. Chillax, we have striking guyz.
Doubles wont have its own stage set to avoid the complications.
LGL on MK only.

S.D

Smash Master

1. Considering this is a major it seems only fair and just to play PAL, despite the preference of many for NTSC.

2. Seeding for brackets will be entirely dependant on pool placings, but where possible players from the same state will be separated (Same goes for pools).

3. This is my ruleset as it stands:

Super Smash Brothers Melee

Tournament Rules
The following list is an adaptation of the widely accepted MLG Melee Ruleset and new MBR ruleset.

General Rules:
4 Stock.
No items.
8 Minute Time Limit.
All sets are best of 3 matches (Excludes all semis, and losers and championship finals, which are best of 5).
In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
No player may choose the stage they last won on.
Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played!
Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match (Tournament organisers will have full discretion disqualifying illegitimate play styles).
The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned.
Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned.
Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD).

Set Format (In Order of Procedure):

1. Blind Picks character selection.
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in alternating 1 2 1 2 1 2 order (rock-scissors-paper to determine first choice).
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Starter Stage List:

Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Counter Stage List:

Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
DK Island: Jungle Japes
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Planet Zebes: Brinstar

Additional Rules for Double's Play:
Life Stealing is allowed
Set team attack to ON
Move Past Stages: Kongo Jungle to the Counter Stage List
Add F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City to the Banned Stage List
Add Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams to the Banned Stage List
Stage striking format will be 1-2-2-1

Prizes
The prize pool for Melee will consist of a share of the cash entry fees for each tournament entrant.
1st Place - 60% and Trophy?
2nd Place - 30%
3rd Place - 10%​

NOW, I have a preference for stage striking which requires an odd number of stages. The MBR has PS as a COUNTER STAGE, however I disagree with that decision. Therefore to keep it at uneven numbers I have added DK64 to starter and I can only imagine it will be struck anyway.

Regarding CP stages, MBR only has 4, but I prefer a little extra diversity. I omitted Onett and Peach's Castle, but I am questioning the place of Japes and Green Greens also. If anyone has strong feelings about whether these stages should be in or out let me know and I will consider changing them to banned. The other stage gicing me trouble is Mute City. It's essentially stacked towards Peach and Puff only, so I'm not sure whether to include it. However by that logic Japes and Greens should be banned too as they favour space animals. DISCUSS. The stage striking procedure was changed to alternating to accomodate a 7 stage starter list.

Gords

Smash Champion
Why is peaches castle banned. I thought it was a legal counter in doubles already.

And keep mute city. We have played with it legal in most of our other tourneys and have had no trouble with it.

Sieg

Smash Champion
MK2 is on the Doubles counter list but Mute City isn't?

Interesting. Never seen that one before lol.

kupo

Smash Lord
Since this is a major, I'll approach it seriously and choose to play on PAL where possible, since Peach has a better chance of victory in it.
Feeling a bit scared eh?

I'm just curious in regards to the striking of stages (since I've never done it before). Can we chose not to strike in the 1 2 1 2 process and proceed to random if both players choose to do so?

Green Greens has a ridiculous low ceiling and easy horizontal kills. I can never see it as a legit cp (blocks, bombs and apples? C'mon). Random bomb blocks can easily be a deciding factor that can lead to an early death. If you could forsee the bomb blocks falling beforehand, it'd be a similar case to Brinstar.

Let's unban Yoshi's Island eh? :psycho:

Or...SD, you can make those listed stages (GG, MC, etc) banned in semi/grand finals. *shrug*

Dekar289

Smash Hero
that reminds me cao can we take off termina great bay from doubles also LOL

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
ok, flights are booked. will be relying on toby on the saturday night only ;)

which means that shaya, please finish this tourney on time. doubles and pools on the saturday for BOTH games please :)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Feeling a bit scared eh?

I'm just curious in regards to the striking of stages (since I've never done it before). Can we chose not to strike in the 1 2 1 2 process and proceed to random if both players choose to do so?

Green Greens has a ridiculous low ceiling and easy horizontal kills. I can never see it as a legit cp (blocks, bombs and apples? C'mon). Random bomb blocks can easily be a deciding factor that can lead to an early death. If you could forsee the bomb blocks falling beforehand, it'd be a similar case to Brinstar.

Let's unban Yoshi's Island eh? :psycho:

Or...SD, you can make those listed stages (GG, MC, etc) banned in semi/grand finals. *shrug*

Yup, since Peach v. Sheik is an unwinnable matchup for me in NTSC. I'd call it at 60/40 in NTSC and a 55/45 in PAL, both in Sheik's favour.

I'm not that strong against Sheiks, generally speaking, so you're my biggest threat, as Sydney's choice characters (Falco/Fox/IC/Marth) are those that I already have a reasonable handle on.

S.D

Smash Master
MK2 is on the Doubles counter list but Mute City isn't?

Interesting. Never seen that one before lol.
It's actually very common.

Mute City is ALWAYS banned for doubles play as the stage lags with extra characters on the screen, same as FOD.

Yeah I think Green Greens needs to go, even though it's my preferred stage vs Cao lol.

Still not sure about Japes though...

@Em: Yeah of course you can go for the random nuetral if both people agree, if that's the case cancel DK64 from the nuetral list and play from the regular 6. I'd prefer a 5 stage striking system for convention's sake but I can't bring myself to take PS out. I'd prefer to lose FOD but I don't see that going down too well.

Maybe I should remove MK2 and Termina from doubles but they're just so comical.

tibs7

Smash Champion
from watching amsah vs armada, i seriously thought that made the MU look worse than ntsc. dthrow ->fair at like 90% = death..........we'll see i guess.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
this will be just like a melee monthly

cao on one side
2 and 3 on the other side (dekar and em)
in this case em and SD

SD knocks out em (who could beat cao)
cao beats sd

poor em

you can do eeeet em
just need to beat sd's ICs

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
you'll all indeed, also you'll all be scared of the king of evils sacred green thunderstomp.

kupo

Smash Lord
this will be just like a melee monthly

cao on one side
2 and 3 on the other side (dekar and em)
in this case em and SD

SD knocks out em (who could beat cao)
cao beats sd

poor em

you can do eeeet em
just need to beat sd's ICs
You forgot turtle and unny. They're pretty good too. Not expecting to do well...but we'll see. I've researched the matchups and hopefully I'll be more of a challenge.

Cao: Fair enough. Regardless, you still have the upper hand ;).

Sieg

Smash Champion
@ S.D: Yeah, I actually think I was thinking of singles CP then lol.

Can't even remember my stage lists lol.

Thriller soooooooon.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Not entirely, you just play characters I have an advantage in. I do think you're better than me overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom