• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This is dead, look for the new matchup thread. Be sure to read the rules.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I love and hate this matchup. Reason why i love this matchup because this is one of luigis best matchups against a top tier, and comboing the living **** outta snake is hella fun. What i hate about this matchup is that, he has gaysome utilt, nade camping, ground game.

IMO 50-50, but if you want to be biased 45-55 Snake's or 40-60 although that's definitely not it.

Luigi completely dominates Snake on the air. He can juggle trap him in the air badly. FRom what I can tell, Snake's will be camping and throwing alot of tilts to Luigi's face. Snake = ground game. Luigi = air game.

i hope this board and debate will be a clean and nice one like the recent zelda boards matchup lol.

i play Monk's snake and couple of other snakes and holy hell, no luigi cannot rush in and will have to be a approach artist here.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Snake never dies. Luigi kills super dooper early.

Luigi is an excellent choice against snake for that reason alone.

Otherwise, snake is excellent in this matchup, he has great answers for luigi's pressure. Recovery is a problem for snake however.

The fact alone though, that luigi can pretty reliably kill snake around 100% is enough to make this matchup quite even.

skyace89

Smash Journeyman
^^ what this gentleman said. But if you allow snake to control the stage and set up c4, wigi will have a hard time getting through. But if luigi gets through and gets snake in the air he can combo him to hell and it would be gg snake. i say this matchup could go either way.

50-50,55-45(Snake),55-45(Luigi)

yes i know but it really can go either way...

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
luigi's like the only character that can kill snake early

but luigi likes to be in the air, and well spaced uptilts **** that, and nades **** luigi as well

its really in snake's favor

Panix

Smash Ace
not much input here. luigi is a big mystery to me honestly. the lui's i play weren't that good, didn't camp with g missle. or stay in the air that often. i would still say that his air game gets beat by the u-tilt. our nades **** his life. and any luigi who stays on the ground is a dead one.

Hard to say a ratio while not trying to say snake is better. but i will say 55:45 in snakes. only because snake can answer everything that luigi can throw at him, but luigi can't answer the u-tilt

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Snakes tilts vs. Luigi = Super effective, and I still don't understand why...

But Luigi can get you on your predictable recoveries.

Delvro

Smash Ace
Snake is extremely easy for Luigi to combo... the problem is getting in the combo-starter. Snake has a superior ground game, and Luigi is going to have to push Snake into the air to win.

Snake's tilts (especially Utilt) kill many of Luigi's approaches. And Luigi HAS to approach.

However, a quick tornado in (given that snake isn't holding a grenade), combo'd into some Utilts and aerial strings and Snake is instantly in the danger zone for a SHORYUKEN Up-B (65% with DI and aerial move recovery), or, later, an up-tilted Fsmash (around 85-95% with DI and aerial move recovery)

I would say slight adv Snake, but that's only given that Snake knows the match-up, which very few do. On the other hand, nearly every Luigi knows the Snake match-up.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
If you guys are talking numbers I'm starting to lean towards 55-45 Snake's favor.
HOWEVER, if the Luigi is good, and smart he will know how to combo you and get you off stage. This will result in a 50-50 IMO. If both are playing smart they will avoid what gets them killed. As far as stages go, As a Luigi I would CP (like always) somewhere like BF/Smashville for the platforms and free space. With a good mix of fireball approaches Luigi can really get in there, I would not use tornado as an approach in this match-up at all. Snakes tilts also give an advantage. It really comes down to WHO (as a Brawler) knows the match-up better, not the characters.
I'd say 60-60 :)

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
the real main problem in this matchup is that (OMFGWTF) up tilt, the n-air (if you can't DI out of it), and the down air.
Snake nade camps don't work that well here (Down b for luigi, also....glide tossing)

DI out Snake's n-air and watch out for down airs.
F-air can spike luigi's recovery but Luigi has multiple moves to go through snake's recovery (as in down air, f-air, and up air)

N-air combos are too good vs snake and the same for down throw and up tilt.
It isn't as bad a matchup as 65-35 Snake

its probably 55-45 Snake or MAYBE 60-40

Atash

Smash Apprentice
------------------------------------------------------------------------
What follows was the original reason why I posted:

I'm of the opinion that grenade camping actually works well against Luigi...

Look at it this way: Luigi is a short ranged character - all of his attacks, all save the fireball (which isn't a particularly useful way of directly 'approaching'), are melee. This automatically means that until he sets up a serious string of attacks in one brilliant fury of combo-goodness, his entire game is based on approaching. Snake can camp the bazoonga out of Luigi with anything he wants - it's just the question of how useful the camping is. Looking specifically at grenades, they *are* items that can be picked up, and they don't do immediate damage upon impact (save for a few percent if they happen to bounce hard enough on a character). However, if touched by any of Luigi's attacks without clashing, the will blow up. Because Luigi's tornadoes are multi-hit, the grenade is bound to blow up (one reason why I absolutely despise grenades).

Also, snake can bake his grenades. By baking the grenades, he eliminates Luigi's ability to grab and glide-toss the explosives back to him. Now, this then presents us with a dilemma for snake. He may be able to bake his grenades, but he has to pull it out, wait for somewhere between 2 and 3 seconds, and then throw them to get the proper range of thrown distance before self-detonation. During this time, Luigi can come up and beat the crap out of him - right?

Not really.

Assuming that when Snake started his grenade camping Luigi was roughly two thirds the width of Battlefield or more away, by the time Luigi makes it to Snake with any running approach at least a full second has passed. By the time Luigi enacts a combo of great justice on the camouflaged warrior, the grenade's timer has run out and the grenade blows up. Given that Snake has a higher damage:chance of living ratio than Luigi (both can knockback the bazoonga out of each other with certain attacks), this is a net gain for Snake even if he does get hit by his own explosives.

What about the tornado then? It's a quick approach that can get the heck away, yes? Well, Snake just shields using the Z-button, the baking grenade falls, and boom - the tornado blows it up. What's worse is that Snake can actually shield this one if he bakes grenades not by dropping them where he stands but by holding them and subsequently dropping them to rethrow them as items. Tornadoes aren't exactly the smartest moves against a smart grenadier.

The only definite exploitable weakness of a grenade camping Snake in this match-up as far as I can tell is Luigi going mafia on him from the air - which, admittedly, is the thing he's best at.

So, I kind of agree with you KoRoBeNiKi, but for different reasons...

What follows shouldn't be taken seriously <_<

And as long as we're throwing out random numbers... I'd say that, given that both players know the match-up and are decently skilled, Luigi and Snake are about even as characters (max difference is probably 55/45 in either direction from what I'm hearing). Snake's tilts may be godly, but I'm having trouble seeing them getting pulled off at close range against Luigi. Once Luigi has gotten within melee range of Snake's hurtbox, he can grill Snake with a variety of shenanigans all spawning from a three frame 'fwap' to the face (jab numero uno - granted, Snake's jab is faster by a single frame. See my edit.). The moment the jab hits, Snake's susceptibility to being comboed is pretty high due to a 5+ frame hitstun (see: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199907 - again, granted, the hitstun could be less because there are a few missing frame values). Then again, Luigi typically would have to get within jab range or grab range (down throw is yet another combo starter) to get anything done on Snake to move him from from the ground into the air for extended combos (the *cough*useful*cough* kinds). This kind of approach doesn't appear to be very conducive to Luigi's health in general (with the exception perhaps of buffering attacks via whiffed down-aerial or air dodge into the ground), so I leave it at that.

Then there's the set up of combos from the air. This is probably what the Luigi player is going to be doing - it avoids nearly all of the problems of Snake's rather long tilt and jab hitboxes on the ground... except for the U-tilt.

My problem is that I've not played any Snakes that used the U-tilt very much (they've always been highly effective grenade campers, and I've always been stupid enough to approach from the ground so they've never needed to use the U-tilt, regardless of its ungodly horizontal range) so I don't know much beyond that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: Does Luigi's N-air beat out Snake's N-air in terms of priority? What about his other aerials?

EDIT: DANG!!! Snake's jab is TWO FRAMES? Jeez. And his forward tilt is three frames? Wowwwwwww - wtfhax >_< lawls. Just kidding of course. At that speed, the single frame difference between Snake's jab and Luigi's jab is negligible compared to human error, anyway (I'm quite doubtful that anyone can perfectly play matches frame by single frame).

EDIT EDIT: Just kidding - the jab is three frames and the tilt is four frames. I misread Snake's frame datums (datums is a more awesome word than data - shaddup).

Note: While some of what I've said has come from pattern recognition, the majority of the above post is theorycraft.

Panix

Smash Ace
What follows was the original reason why I posted:

I'm of the opinion that grenade camping actually works well against Luigi...

Look at it this way: Luigi is a short ranged character - all of his attacks, all save the fireball (which isn't a particularly useful way of directly 'approaching'), are melee. This automatically means that until he sets up a serious string of attacks in one brilliant fury of combo-goodness, his entire game is based on approaching. Snake can camp the bazoonga out of Luigi with anything he wants - it's just the question of how useful the camping is. Looking specifically at grenades, they *are* items that can be picked up, and they don't do immediate damage upon impact (save for a few percent if they happen to bounce hard enough on a character). However, if touched by any of Luigi's attacks without clashing, the will blow up. Because Luigi's tornadoes are multi-hit, the grenade is bound to blow up (one reason why I absolutely despise grenades).

Also, snake can bake his grenades. By baking the grenades, he eliminates Luigi's ability to grab and glide-toss the explosives back to him. Now, this then presents us with a dilemma for snake. He may be able to bake his grenades, but he has to pull it out, wait for somewhere between 2 and 3 seconds, and then throw them to get the proper range of thrown distance before self-detonation. During this time, Luigi can come up and beat the crap out of him - right?

Not really.

Assuming that when Snake started his grenade camping Luigi was roughly two thirds the width of Battlefield or more away, by the time Luigi makes it to Snake with any running approach at least a full second has passed. By the time Luigi enacts a combo of great justice on the camouflaged warrior, the grenade's timer has run out and the grenade blows up. Given that Snake has a higher damage:chance of living ratio than Luigi (both can knockback the bazoonga out of each other with certain attacks), this is a net gain for Snake even if he does get hit by his own explosives.

What about the tornado then? It's a quick approach that can get the heck away, yes? Well, Snake just shields using the Z-button, the baking grenade falls, and boom - the tornado blows it up. What's worse is that Snake can actually shield this one if he bakes grenades not by dropping them where he stands but by holding them and subsequently dropping them to rethrow them as items. Tornadoes aren't exactly the smartest moves against a smart grenadier.

The only definite exploitable weakness of a grenade camping Snake in this match-up as far as I can tell is Luigi going mafia on him from the air - which, admittedly, is the thing he's best at.

So, I kind of agree with you KoRoBeNiKi, but for different reasons...

What follows shouldn't be taken seriously <_<

And as long as we're throwing out random numbers... I'd say that, given that both players know the match-up and are decently skilled, Luigi and Snake are about even as characters (max difference is probably 55/45 in either direction from what I'm hearing). Snake's tilts may be godly, but I'm having trouble seeing them getting pulled off at close range against Luigi. Once Luigi has gotten within melee range of Snake's hurtbox, he can grill Snake with a variety of shenanigans all spawning from a three frame 'fwap' to the face (jab numero uno - granted, Snake's jab is faster by a single frame. See my edit.). The moment the jab hits, Snake's susceptibility to being comboed is pretty high due to a 5+ frame hitstun (see: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199907 - again, granted, the hitstun could be less because there are a few missing frame values). Then again, Luigi typically would have to get within jab range or grab range (down throw is yet another combo starter) to get anything done on Snake to move him from from the ground into the air for extended combos (the *cough*useful*cough* kinds). This kind of approach doesn't appear to be very conducive to Luigi's health in general (with the exception perhaps of buffering attacks via whiffed down-aerial or air dodge into the ground), so I leave it at that.

Then there's the set up of combos from the air. This is probably what the Luigi player is going to be doing - it avoids nearly all of the problems of Snake's rather long tilt and jab hitboxes on the ground... except for the U-tilt.

My problem is that I've not played any Snakes that used the U-tilt very much (they've always been highly effective grenade campers, and I've always been stupid enough to approach from the ground so they've never needed to use the U-tilt, regardless of its ungodly horizontal range) so I don't know much beyond that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: Does Luigi's N-air beat out Snake's N-air in terms of priority? What about his other aerials?

EDIT: DANG!!! Snake's jab is TWO FRAMES? Jeez. And his forward tilt is three frames? Wowwwwwww - wtfhax >_< lawls. Just kidding of course. At that speed, the single frame difference between Snake's jab and Luigi's jab is negligible compared to human error, anyway (I'm quite doubtful that anyone can perfectly play matches frame by single frame).

EDIT EDIT: Just kidding - the jab is three frames and the tilt is four frames. I misread Snake's frame datums (datums is a more awesome word than data - shaddup).

Note: While some of what I've said has come from pattern recognition, the majority of the above post is theorycraft.
I was loving your insight on the snake vrs luigi match-up. until you thought that luigi's ground game could compair to snakes.

Snakes nair > Luigi's nair.

I don't know about the other ones. but here's what i can tell you

snakes Uair - not to high priority
Snakes Dair- low priority
Snakes bair- mid-high priority
snakes Nair- high priority
Snakes Fair- dosn't exisit.

correct me if im wrong please.

TheMann

Smash Ace
I believe its either slightly in snakes favor or even.

Once Luigi gets close enough to snake and gets him in the air, Luigi has him where he wants him. Since Snakes aerials are not fast enough to interrupt Luigi's aerial strings he is forced to air dodge and the Luigi, if smart enough can read from there. Also Luigi can KO snake at around 90 with up tilted smash and even lower with up+b. Snake dying that early is never a good thing.

But on the ground its a different game. Luigi is forced to keep his distance due to snakes ridiculous tilts that can out prioritize many of his aerials. Also grenades become a problem and force Luigi to be less aggressive and allow the snake thinking time. Usually if Luigi wants to get in for the attack quick he can use his down B. But with grenades all over the ground that wouldn't be too wise.

Lastly I found out the hard way from SamuraiPanda that Luigi's recovery can be gimped from snakes side B if angled correctly. So watch out for that Luigis!!! So yea from my experience that is what I think of the match up.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
IIRC, luigi's Nair is insanely fast (like 3 frames) and has ******** (Snakelike >.>) priority, and will go through all of Snakes aerials

I may be wrong though

EDIT: lol 777 XD

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero

Once Luigi gets close enough to snake and gets him in the air, Luigi has him where he wants him. Since Snakes aerials are not fast enough to interrupt Luigi's aerial strings he is forced to air dodge and the Luigi, if smart enough can read from there. Also Luigi can KO snake at around 90 with up tilted smash and even lower with up+b. Snake dying that early is never a good thing.

But on the ground its a different game. Luigi is forced to keep his distance due to snakes ridiculous tilts that can out prioritize many of his aerials. Also grenades become a problem and force Luigi to be less aggressive and allow the snake thinking time. Usually if Luigi wants to get in for the attack quick he can use his down B. But with grenades all over the ground that wouldn't be too wise.

Lastly I found out the hard way from SamuraiPanda that Luigi's recovery can be gimped from snakes side B if angled correctly. So watch out for that Luigis!!! So yea from my experience that is what I think of the match up.
this man is my hero

im not ashamed to have gotten mann'd so many times now XD

BigLøu

Smash Lord
IMO easily in luigis favor. 60:40

Snake cant approach really i nthis matchup at all. Mortarslide? Nope, luigi can actually nair through the mortar and hit snake and lead to an immediate grab, and you can combo from there. Snake to heavy for luigi to kill? Nope, luigi can actually kill snake with that retareded fsmash or up b. As soon as you pop snake in the air hes practically hopeless, becasue all you really have to do is follow the airdodge and keep him in the air. Luigis bair is excellent for spacing against snake's titls. Also since snakes tend to shield a lot, I just wait for their shield to diminish before going aggro on them, making it that much easier to combo.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace

Snake cant approach really i nthis matchup at all. Mortarslide? Nope, luigi can actually nair through the mortar and hit snake and lead to an immediate grab, and you can combo from there. Snake to heavy for luigi to kill? Nope, luigi can actually kill snake with that retareded fsmash or up b. As soon as you pop snake in the air hes practically hopeless, becasue all you really have to do is follow the airdodge and keep him in the air. Luigis bair is excellent for spacing against snake's titls. Also since snakes tend to shield a lot, I just wait for their shield to diminish before going aggro on them, making it that much easier to combo.
Why is Snake approaching at all?

I was loving your insight on the snake vrs luigi match-up. until you thought that luigi's ground game could compair to snakes.

iirc, there is no priority in the air, it's what aerial makes contact first.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
55:45 in snake's favor

As many have said, Luigi has a good air game while snake has an excellent ground game.

Luigi has a hard time approaching and if the Snake player is smart, uses his 'nades correctly, tilt's when necessary etc. Luigi will have a hard time getting in range. Once Luigi does however Snake must avoid getting sent into the air because Luigi can pressure him nicely in that position.

Still since Luigi has few, very few, approach options, snake clearly has the advantage seeing how his ground game and ability to camp his 'nades, amongst others, will give him the upper hand.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
not much input here. luigi is a big mystery to me honestly. the lui's i play weren't that good, didn't camp with g missle. or stay in the air that often. i would still say that his air game gets beat by the u-tilt. our nades **** his life. and any luigi who stays on the ground is a dead one.

Hard to say a ratio while not trying to say snake is better. but i will say 55:45 in snakes. only because snake can answer everything that luigi can throw at him, but luigi can't answer the u-tilt
I'll accept 45:55 Snake which I really have no problem with; but 50-50 really makes us happy also considering how snake's dont fight everyday Luigi's while luigi's do fight everyday snakes since hes a popular tourney character. So matchup knowledge plays alot in this one.
Personally I don't find the nades to be a 100% problem maybe a 50%-65% problem. The biggest problem Luigi will have is approaching Snake's considering his stage control game.

Snake is extremely easy for Luigi to combo... the problem is getting in the combo-starter. Snake has a superior ground game, and Luigi is going to have to push Snake into the air to win.

Snake's tilts (especially Utilt) kill many of Luigi's approaches. And Luigi HAS to approach.

However, a quick tornado in (given that snake isn't holding a grenade), combo'd into some Utilts and aerial strings and Snake is instantly in the danger zone for a SHORYUKEN Up-B (65% with DI and aerial move recovery), or, later, an up-tilted Fsmash (around 85-95% with DI and aerial move recovery)

I would say slight adv Snake, but that's only given that Snake knows the match-up, which very few do. On the other hand, nearly every Luigi knows the Snake match-up.
Again, said before, matchup knowledge is mucho needed here. I'll agree with your post. Oh snake's don't bother saying luigi won't land a shoryuken at all, since def people make mistakes, and can read espically snake's airdodges ^_^.

If you guys are talking numbers I'm starting to lean towards 55-45 Snake's favor.
HOWEVER, if the Luigi is good, and smart he will know how to combo you and get you off stage. This will result in a 50-50 IMO. If both are playing smart they will avoid what gets them killed. As far as stages go, As a Luigi I would CP (like always) somewhere like BF/Smashville for the platforms and free space. With a good mix of fireball approaches Luigi can really get in there, I would not use tornado as an approach in this match-up at all. Snakes tilts also give an advantage. It really comes down to WHO (as a Brawler) knows the match-up better, not the characters.
I'd say 60-60 :)
Um 60-60? I'm guessing your saying 50-50 haha lol. Uh, Snake does better on BF than luigi but can go 50-50 sorta or 55:45 in snake's on Bf, since hes stage control is best there and luigi combo heaven there too. I would use tornado at some occasions but you can always fake them out by rising the nado and land a nair on them.

the real main problem in this matchup is that (OMFGWTF) up tilt, the n-air (if you can't DI out of it), and the down air.
Snake nade camps don't work that well here (Down b for luigi, also....glide tossing)

DI out Snake's n-air and watch out for down airs.
F-air can spike luigi's recovery but Luigi has multiple moves to go through snake's recovery (as in down air, f-air, and up air)

N-air combos are too good vs snake and the same for down throw and up tilt.
It isn't as bad a matchup as 65-35 Snake

its probably 55-45 Snake or MAYBE 60-40
At first i thought you said you can't DI outta snake's Nair haha misread it lol. Snake nades camp do work, but not completely maybe like 50 or 65% of the time. Snake's don't go offstage for a FAir spike unless the luigi is insanely stupid to be below him and within that range lol. 60-40 in snake's is mean tho :(

IIRC, luigi's Nair is insanely fast (like 3 frames) and has ******** (Snakelike >.>) priority, and will go through all of Snakes aerials

I may be wrong though

EDIT: lol 777 XD
lol @ snake's fair priority. it only exists if they luigi is stupid to get hit it by it XD. And hell no, Snake's Nair can be DI toward's to and Nair'd. And luigi's nair comes out frame 3 and has that weird godsend (?) priority of his. Besides luigi can just pivot grab outta all his aerials ^_^

Lol. Samuraipanda's snake doesn't count cause hes a nab. Nah I'm just kiddin; hes ***** hard. Theemann, you should know EVERYONE ***** luigi's recovery. They can be creative and makes us look like dirty poop. On the other hand we can combo and gimp creatively too haha. Totally agreed with your post espically with a tourney wh0re and one who plays panda's snake.

Def right about snake's approaching. He's forced to camping. There'll be times where he has to approach. But 60-40 is so much but that's cause you **** every snake out there lolol.

Why is Snake approaching at all?

iirc, there is no priority in the air, it's what aerial makes contact first.
Um because snake will have to approach at times, he can't camp forever nor can he just utilt forever. There are inpatient people too as well lol.

TheUmbreonMonarchy

Smash Cadet
Um because snake will have to approach at times, he can't camp forever nor can he just utilt forever. There are inpatient people too as well lol.
Snake can, most certainly, camp forever.

Theoretically speaking, Snake can win with just Nade camping alone (with a *insert Snake's entire moveset here* as a KO).

Atash

Smash Apprentice

Woah woah woah - I never said that his ground game could compare with Snake's ground game. I just said that given a chance to pull off a jab, Luigi has a decent/high chance of getting Snake into the air where he DOES have comparable (and by comparable, I mean 'greater-than' comparable) ability. That's what I meant by 'combo' - I apologize if I wasn't clear on that. It's already apparent to me that Snake's ground game is pretty much superior to anything Luigi can pull off (with the exception of the highly situational SHORYUUKEN!!! of course)

@ DentedGlass:
I have to agree with TwentyTwo here - why would Snake approach when he has a superior camping ability? And what guarantees that the Snake is going to approach with a mortar slide? I'm more afraid of a Snake simply walking towards me than of a mortar slide attack - as far as I can tell, the mortar slide would come into play for 'mixing it up' rather than approaching. Walking gives the Snake full control of his godly tilts. Attempts at fireballing the slow approach would result in minimal effect due to Snake's low slide upon shielding (and the effect is further minimized by the chance of a successful powershield once the Snake learns the timing). Attempts at attacking the slow approach or punishing it is nigh impossible from the ground... Thus Luigi must get into the air to avoid being punished for his failure to punish, and then we have either a retreating Luigi or an approaching Luigi. The approaching Luigi has already been covered/is-being-covered-elsewhere (and in my opinion, is the whole underlying framework of the match-up), so that's that for that...

But the retreating Luigi... I have absolutely no idea. This leads into my message to Hippie about patience...

@ TwentyTwo <TwentyTwo> (regarding aerial priority):
I mean - like... I dunno. It's just that I've seen Snake pull out some of his aerials really really quickly (B-air, U-air, N-air) and the fact that they also have bajeezus long hitbox duration begs the question if Luigi can clank or wipeout Snake's attacks.

@ Hippie:
Okay - okay... impatient people... Yes. Eventually the Snake is going to tire of camping or walking around... And then it's his punishable/comboable (sp?) mistake to approach. However, if you really want to delve into the psychology, you have to look at it from both sides. Let's assume that both players main their characters. The Luigi player is adept at rushing in and comboing the bajeezus out of everyone. Fireballs aren't his projectiles, they're his tools to get more combos, space, etc. The Snake player is adept at punishing, camping, and... Well, whatever the heck else Snake is supposed to be good at (only the ones I mentioned are important in this case). A Luigi getting grenade camped isn't going to sit there risking life and limb to have the Snake approach. Anyone performing the same repetitive task over and over again is bound to make mistakes. At the same time, the Snake player is patiently camping away - he isn't under any pressure from the enemy.

Who is going to be, from this generic psychological situation, 'impatient', so to speak? More like, who's going to consider his survival to be of greater importance than approaching first and being punished? Assuming that the Luigi doesn't have godly stamina and wishes to have his dinner before sunrise the next day without entering a statistically unfavorable sudden death match, the probability is that it's the Luigi who's going to approach.

Again, this is granting that the Luigi doesn't have amazing patience that surpasses his character's {pressure : need-for-action-for-survivability} ratio for a given amount of pressure, namely the increasing pressure of time and the constant of grenades (or the occasional Nikita).

@ TheUmbreonMonarchy <TheUmbreonMonarchy>:
No one has godly patience - but that's what time limits are for, I guess. In any timed match, the Luigi is going to have to approach a decent camping Snake (one who can camp out the standard eight minutes or so of a match) or face the statistically unfavorable sudden death match... So your point appears quite valid...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may have said a lot in favor of Snake here, but I still believe that the Snake:Luigi ratio is about 5:5. Luigi has his aerial game that once pulled off is equivalent percentage-wise to being punished by forward tilts multiple times. Hippie has it right about the knowledge of match-ups, I've already seen a number of Snakes responding to this thread or elsewhere about how they don't fully understand the match-up due to the relatively few decent Luigis they've faced. That alone should give Luigi the initial upper-hand. That, and the fact that his entire body seems to be a combo factory, churning out attack after attack in the air, gives him a decent chance against Snakes.

I'm really really of the opinion that this match-up is all about Luigi's ability or disability to approach, rather than of Snake's. After Luigi's approach though, it is then a question of how Snake can take the punishment dealt out by four or five catpaws to the face followed by being flipped on kicked over and karate-chopped (admittedly, this was a hyperbole - that exact sequence would prolly' only happen at low percents).

Panix

Smash Ace
If you just sit there and nade camp forever, someone will call you on stalling.
Wrong. Camping 100% of the game is perfectly legal. If im killing you and not taking damage how can you say that tec is stalling? stalling is when i run to kill time. not when i camp to rack up dmg

Shadow_of_Link

Smash Apprentice
I'll accept 45:55 Snake which I really have no problem with; but 50-50 really makes us happy also considering how snake's dont fight everyday Luigi's while luigi's do fight everyday snakes since hes a popular tourney character. So matchup knowledge plays alot in this one.
If Luigi's fight many Snakes, how do Snake's not fight many Luigi's? Sorry, I just wanted to point that out >.>

Edit: I see what you mean now. Ignore this <.<

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Because there aren't that many luigis while there are TONS of snakes. Therefore, the luigis all have snake practice, while only a few snakes actually get to fight a good luigi.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
but do we take matchup inexperience into a matchup discussion? No, we take it as if both players know the matchup well. That would be like including mind games into a matchup discussion, its all player specific, nothing to do with the character (in a manner of speaking)

IMO, we call it 55-45 Snake

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think people have discussed this matchup decently. Aside from my opinion that the matchup is 55/45 Snake's favor (you have to approach a solid defensive character....kinda a chore), I should mention that running up to Snake often makes him F-tilt in reaction. That can be easily powershielded and punished. You'd probably do something like run up -> PS -> D-tilt -> Up-B for the KO.

Panix

Smash Ace
Or you can just PS > upb (oos inv frames xD) lazy to post moar. I think the stage might decide it.
Most snakes don't follow up with the second F-tilt. even if you PS our distance from each other wont land his hit. I usually go F-tilt>grab then mix it up with F-tilt>stall Ftilt>follow up f-tilt

yellowroy

Smash Ace
I almost always follow up with the second Ftilt.

21% is 2 good.

I think it's 60-40 Snake.

Just learn how to camp. When they come do a tilt or something. It's not like Luigi's fireball is actually good.

If your inpatient just drop Snake and go to MK or something.

Panix

Smash Ace

21% is 2 good.

Just learn how to camp. When they come do a tilt or something. It's not like Luigi's fireball is actually good.
Ftlit<dthrow tech chase is better for the people who like reading people.

yellowroy

Smash Ace
Lol Dthrow is ****, but I usually just jab-grab instead of ftilt-grab because jab comes out faster.

Anyway tech chaseing is easy so I think everyone does it not just the people who like reading people.

Panix

Smash Ace
Lol Dthrow is ****, but I usually just jab-grab instead of ftilt-grab because jab comes out faster.

Anyway tech chaseing is easy so I think everyone does it not just the people who like reading people.
right =-P im just saying following up with the last hit is not always what i Like to do. People try to shield the last hit for some reason, which always leaves them open for a grab. I just like to tech chase alot =P it's lead to alot of 0-KO's for me.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Most snakes don't follow up with the second F-tilt. even if you PS our distance from each other wont land his hit. I usually go F-tilt>grab then mix it up with F-tilt>stall Ftilt>follow up f-tilt
What are you talking about? If Luigi PS's (which most luigis will be doing it since its kinda a must tho natural ), he can do anything freely OOS like a upb or Nair or upsmash. And oos upb has the start up inv frames and Nair comes out at frame 3. So luigi's will be giving free damage to snakes if they do get a PS. Besides, if he doesnt PS, luigi will slide away from snake so he won't be able to grab follow up.

21% is 2 good.

If your inpatient just drop Snake and go to MK or something.
60-40 is too much. Pure camping? Psh. Stages as I said can and possibly decide it like Rainbow Cruise. 55-45 Snake if you guys want to be biased, 50-50 to be fair including stage wise. Also yes, your right luigi's fireball isn't good, it's made for getting inside, leading to combos, openings. Once it's done then it's served it's purpose.

but do we take matchup inexperience into a matchup discussion? No, we take it as if both players know the matchup well. That would be like including mind games into a matchup discussion, its all player specific, nothing to do with the character (in a manner of speaking)

IMO, we call it 55-45 Snake
IIRC I thought matchups were only taken to the account of each player at the top equal skill. Not matchup knowledge. This is basically like the Luigi and Zelda discussion where the players knowledge on the character (luigi is underused char on tourney scene so people won't know how to play against him) will matter alot. Mindgames = tangent in matchups.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I would think Luigi would have a hard time with a really campy Snake (Not talking about just throwing grenades, but rolling away after shield camping if Luigi gets too close). If Luigi can't approach very well vs Snake on the ground (for multiple reasons, sliding in his shield backwards after getting hit, not having good ground range, Snake having ground traps/projectiles to avoid), than that just leaves aerial mixups mostly (I mean you can try stuff on the ground but I'd think the air is preferable). Rolling away from Luigi if Snake absolutely has to is pretty hard for Luigi to punish when he is in the air.

Luigi gets murdered on the ground, and he's slow movement wise in the air. It's also hard for him to hit Snake's shield in the air and still be safe, the only thing I can think of would be a well spaced Bair and maybe rising-retreating aerials. But to hit his shield/him, you gotta move into his range first. Not saying Luigi can't do that, but he's gonna be the one putting in a lot of work to win in this matchup compared to Snake.

I think it's 60:40 for Snake probably or more on the neutrals/majority of stages. Can't approach that safely on the ground, has trouble with Snake being able to roll if he's under pressure while Luigi is in the air, Snake has grenades/c4/mine for Luigi to avoid. Really Luigi's strong point are being able to kill Snake quick when his kill moves land and keeping him in the air, but you also have to remember that Luigi has to get inside Snake's range first before he can kill him or try to get him in the air. You combine grenades, ******** tilts/Bair/Nair, rolling/occasional mortar slide as a last resort to reset the position, and I don't see Luigi having it as even.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
our nades **** his life.
NO.
They take away the tornado in many cases, but ****? Not by a long shot (have you seen luigi's glide toss?) You are right about the utilt though, its bad news.

LOL NO.

Good stuff from the best luigi here (biglou is also really good)
Listen to this mann. I did when I had to fight panda, and it kept me from getting ***** TOO hard lol (not because snake is better, but because panda is WAY better than me).

Top Bottom