• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This goes out to everyone learning Underused Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
This speech goes out to all my fellow Smash Brothers who are currently trying to learn an underused character and win with him/her in the SSBB metagame, and are feeling frustrated because they are having a hard time making it in today’s cruel world of Warios, Snakes, and Metaknights. This read is from my heart, if you don’t like it don’t respond. I’m not hating on anyone here. THIS IS ALSO NOT A TIER LIST THREAD. DO NOT COME IN HERE WITH YOUR PETTY ARGUMENTS. THERE IS A STICKY FOR THAT VERY TOPIC.

Introduction- The Tier Titans, the Entrepreneurs

There are two types of people in this Smash Community. The Tier Titans, and the Entrepreneur. Tier Titan is my own personal term so I will proceed to explain it. A Tier Titan is somebody who mains tournament winning characters for the purpose of learning their character to the point of well…winning a tournament. Tier Titans in Brawl have no time for Yoshis or Ganons, Jigglys or Falcons. Their motto is simple but extremely effective and solid. “Why pick up a character that MAY win a tournament, when I can pick up one that (to my knowledge) WILL win a tournament? After all, this is a COMPETITION we’re talking about! I want to take no chances to ensure I’m going to win!”.
Now, you also have the lesser seen brawler whom I like to call the Entrepreneur. By the definition of www.dictionary.com, an Entrepreneur is a person who organizes and manages any enterprise, esp. a business, usually with considerable initiative and risk. I’m now going to reword this definition so it can be applied to Brawl. 1.Entrepreneur- a person who mains an underused character, usually with CONSIDERABLE initiative and RISK.” This applies to anyone who is attempting to win a tournament in any manner that the Tier Titans are not. To not be so general, I mean anyone who is trying to work their butts off to win with characters that aren’t doing so hot in the competitive community right now.

I’d like to encourage you to be the Entrepreneur. And if you’re a struggling Entrepreneur right now, I have some things to say to you, some truths to clear up. This part goes out to all my Smash Brothers who are feeling discouraged, hurt, and doubtful about their smash careers as they attempt to make it happen by using an underused character. Hear me as I speak my wisdom, as I have been through it to, being a Peach main.
1. At one point, Snake mains were Entrepreneurs. It took a brave soul to step out and learn snake, and look what happened! Snake became popular, snake became a Tournament Viable character, Snake turned out to be so good people whine about him! The fact is, this game is still very young and the metagame is VERY flexible right now. Don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise. This game has MORE than enough stretching room for some new tournament viable characters to pop in by more Entrepreneurs.

2. Expect to lose to characters Tier Titans use for the majority of the time before you develop a solid character. I think one of the BIGGEST reasons people drop their Entrepreneur characters for Tournament characters is that they get ***** early in the process of learning their character, get discouraged, and drop them right there. It’s easy to get discouraged in the beginning…I would know, I lost for a MONTH STRAIGHT with my Peach, and now I am beginning to handle Snakes, Metaknights and the like just because I kept pulling through. Show em what’s up, don’t let them kill you early. Keep on trying. It is HARD. It is a RISK. But if you have the INITIATIVE to pull through you WILL receive the benefits and start kicking ***.

3. No match up is ever impossible! Being Counterpicked sucks but you can learn to deal with your Counterpicks in order to win the match. Consider this- When someone who is counterpicked knows what to do against the person that counterpicked him, chances are the person who counterpicked is going to LOSE. Why? People aren’t used to that! It’s a counterpick for a reason, after all. Of course it’s a much harder option to play like this, everyone just wants to pick a substitute character so they don’t have to deal with that scenario. The fact is though that the scenario doesn’t mean death. You CAN pull through and you CAN win the match.

4. Being an Entrepreneur says a lot about yourself. It says that you are willing to break off of the crowd to try something new. It says that you are not afraid to take risks and to discover new things in this glorious game we call smash. Your actions as an Entrepreneur, if successful, will ultimately help fresh up the metagame by putting your new character into it, and therefore over all make competitive smash even fresher. It is a selfless act that I for one applaud. You are willing to put your Tournament Rep on the line just so you can learn an underused character and try to bring them into the competitive mainstream. THAT is selfless, and it is amazing, and anyone who succeeds deserves MAD props and credit, no lie.

5. If you keep losing to top tiers and you are thinking to yourself “I just can’t beat em”, remember this. It would be sweet to own with Snake, but it would be even sweeter to own with Jigglypuff.

6. Like I said in number 1, this metagame is new. Take that to your advantage. This isn’t like melee where we have 100% of our tournament viable characters set in stone. Get out there and learn someone new! Chances are you may just dig up a new Prize winning character.

7. Remember these words, my Smash Brothers. “A ship is safe in harbor, but that isn’t what ships are meant for.”. Don’t be afraid to get out there and get your hands dirty. Sail that ship, and conquer the seas of this competitive environment in all of its infancy. You can do it!

8. With added risks come added benefits. Remember, entrepreneurs are some of the most successful people in real life (Bill Gates anyone?). It is a tougher choice but in the end you will ultimately be rewarded for your selfless contributions to our smash community.

Conclusion- I know this was a very long thread, but I felt as though there was a huge need to post it. I can only hope my words will reach out to those in need, and maybe inspire them to keep on doing what they are doing. Much love to everyone, Tier Titans and all. Peace.

~Kidd~

xX Boezy Xx

Smash Journeyman
Yes! I remember you telling me about this just a few hours ago. I think your philosophy is spot-on... but this is coming from a Ganondorf main...

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Good read. Though I currently main a pretty tournament viable character, he still gets rocked by the "Tier Titans."

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
dont give up on your lower classed mains guys seriously. respect for all who do good with those characters. it still takes skill to win with snake or MK tho so...

anyway heres a vid of an insanely good chars that arnt high or top

check out this yoshi. hes mad good vs MK!! too bad he does the dumbest SD at the end xDD
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tJvzODSPeNw
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DTOIhXfsTzo&feature=related

beast PK trainer
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4bILXN16Fgw&feature=related

gannon O_O http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WwBrtHsE6mU&feature=related

lol either way dudes some guys can bring any char to the top. its just esier and some chars have more potential

gods_basement

Smash Rookie
the gannon video was horrendous.

"no matchup is impossible" except with ddd infinites. Of course there is such thing as "dont get grabbed" but not realistically.

kupo15

Smash Hero
So true. People don't consider Pit to be an underused character I don't think but trust me when I say he is hard to play at a high level. Im getting there but still have a ways to go. He needs to work really hard to keep up with the top tiers but worth it.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
And you can do it Kupo! Hats off to you, to everyone in this thread who is learning the tools of the trade with their character.

kupo15

Smash Hero
haha thanks. Its funny you mention tools of the trade since I made a thread titled that lol.

And yea, that Ganon match was kinda weak. I have some good ganon matches in my vid thread. (I am not trying to brag at all btw just to give hope to Ganon and Pit mains >_<)

Links in my sig

And I am actually a little disheartened right now because I know how tough it is going to be and I got killed by warios today and didn't feel in control like I normally do, but I'll keep going. Itll be worth it

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Wow! Amazing read, it makes me want to go and get good at Yoshi! He's just for fun for me but, I want to beat up some Meta Knights now with him!

And you're absolutely right that it may be awesome to win with Snake, but it's even better to win with Jigglypuff. Now, I'm gonna get good with Yoshi and I hope I'll eventually get to a level where I can destroy Snake, Meta Knight, and the like. I also hope to get good with Pikachu, but...well I'll get better with Pikachu first. Thanks Kidd!

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
i like to use ALOT of different characters, but i'm no pro or anything i just think the more individualism the players have the more fun it is, not just everybody playin the same **** character

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Awesome topic, and quite true. I've been using Pokemon Trainer ever since I played the game, and I think he's quite underrated. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute in some way to him being recognized...although I don't think it's too harmful to have Toon Link and Lucario along for the ride.

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
Look up Sliq for a good Ganon. There's also a decent Capt falcon/ Ganon combo vid on youtube, played against some above average smashers. Forget the name of it, tho.... :( Anyway, rock on, people not maining "Tier Titans". I'm a Luigi main, fighting for my survival against the dreaded 3D.... If he grabs me, I'm toast.... But I shall stay true to my main. I rocked a DDD just the other day, in fact. He was so intent on taking the easy way out and chain infiniting me to death, that he barely did anything else. I had to stay on my toes, but after much Fireballing, dodging, hit and runs and near misses, I 2 stocked him in a 3 stock match! If only all DDD's played that foolishly... :D

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I just play characters that I feel the most comfortable with. In melee, I mained Link. Despite him being low tier, I still played with him and beat top tier characters such as Fox and Marth. In Brawl, I play Metaknight. I play as Metaknight because I feel the most comfortable with MK.

Just play who you are most comfortable with and stick to it. If you play a low tier character, don't try to force yourself to learn a high tier character if using a lower tier character feel so much better.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Is Lucas underused? lol, I guess so after that grab release fiasco. But I'm still a Lucas main (go me!), and I plan to stay that way.

I guess pseudo-ironically, Dedede and Olimar are my secondaries. <_<

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Maybe? The little Psi Boy is my first and favorite main, but I haven't seen too many other Lucas users. I've always loved Pokemon Trainer too, even after learning that he ranks towards the bottom of the tier list somehow. I don't bemoan these facts - I rather enjoy them. The fact that fewer people use Lucas and Pokemon Trainer allows me the element of surprise against players accustomed to fighting the Snakes and MKs of the world.

Veggi

Smash Champion
All of the characters I use are Mario, Peach, DK, Ike, Fox, G&W, and Dedede. The underused would be Mario, Peach, DK, possibly Fox, and competetively Ike. Dedede's chain grabs sort of bug me so I secretly only use him against non-chainable characters. I love to use under-used characters. Watching people suicide with DK when they use him makes me feel good, and once my friend said "Your alot better than these videos of DK I'm watching." So I know that the reason is because there are probably barely any videos with DK in them. Once I smacked MK out of his tornado with DK and I was like : )

I really don't care about tiers, I just choose my favorite characters and love to use characters with strong edgeguarding games.

I also picked up Ness for team battles with my friends Lucas. I don't really have much to say on him, but I like his yo-yo and his PK PH1R3.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I'm proud to stick with my nerfed female characters (curse japanese women-hating men) and I own with samus and sheik. Its just meta, I really need to get around beating this guy :(

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
I main Falcon and I doesn't afraid of Snake

lulz, can you imagine throwing a move out only for it to be out-prioitized by some dumb move, ohh well because of my fundamental skills from Playing Falcon for so long in brawl I can tech and space very well. when I picked up Snake last week I caught on every AT easily (because of training percision with the knee), and I can beat Snake mains right now (which is kinda sad), I mean seriously if it's a test of skill us bottom tier characters take the cake cause you don't need to train to own with MK or Snake.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
*starts slow clap*

EDIT:
Anyway, to contribute to the thread: I main characters who I like, but I still think it's a good idea to have a main that is "tournament viable," and for me, it's Marth. It's not like I see him too often in tournaments, but he's still up there on a tier list and waaayyy better than Bowser or Link.

storm92

Smash Ace
I main Falcon and I doesn't afraid of Snake.
Nice Arby n Chief reference.
Anyways, I main Kirby. I don't place that high in the tournaments I enter (part of that I can credit to my inexperience in competitive play) but it doesn't bug me too much when I lose to a Snake, MK, Marth, etc.
I use Kirby because I like him, and if I can win some against top tiers, then that just makes it better.

Talvi

Smash Journeyman
I'll stay with Kirby. If he stands a chance, then I'll use him for sure.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
*fast claps turn into booming standing ovation*

Good post, very inspirational. Further convinces me that Sonic will own life in Brawl just as soon as people realize he has Melee speed in a Brawl universe.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
Do the people here consider DK tourney un-viable? He can be infinite grabbed by DeDeDe, but he also has an "advantage" to Snake and MK. I chose DK back in Melee because I wanted to play a non-tourney viable character so I could own top tier characters with him. Now in Brawl things are looking up for him, and I'll never consider him to be a Tier Titan.

But maybe he is. Oh well, winning with him is still a whole lot better than winning with Snake or MK.

Heavenly Cloud

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this such a good thread, but you guys probably hate me... I main Metaknight, but I swear I started playing with him b4 I found smashboards and I totally agree with this thread. I intend to continue to play with MK even after the metagame progresses to where it isnt as advantageous to do so. Heck I played as Kirby in melee, that definately wasnt a good idea competitively. I still do play with kirby, as my "secondary" and sometimes I enjoy playing with him more than MK, but for the most part, I just love playing with MK. As far as Im concerned you shouldnt play a character because they are the "best" but because you like the actual character... *stares angrily at R.O.B and Wario players* and big ups to all who play Sonic, Yoshi, the Forsaken Five, and Captain Falcon, you guys keep doing what you do. One last thing, some of you guys need to remember that it still takes skill to play with Snake and MK. Its not like theyre auto-win characters, they just are more popular and hence better studied and perfected. Read the OP...

Sygmus

Smash Cadet
Awesome thread. I completely agree, it'd be great to see more diversity and expansion in the metagame. After a couple months of playing I've settled on Peach as a main. She was my secondary in Melee (first was Pikachu) and I love the way she plays. There are few greater thrills than a well-placed crown smack KO. She's far less powerful in Brawl, but the potential for greatness still feels the same.

I have nothing against top tiers or tier titans, but I get tired of being beaten by Wario. I'd rather be beaten by a Ganondorf and say "dang, that was a great match."

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
Thanks to everyone who has supported this thread so far. I am glad that this has touched some of you. Never give up your character, you can do it! *Gives out party cookies to everyone* :3.

Foda

Smash Apprentice
*takes delicious party cookie* i love my underused ZSS! There's so much more to learn and the metagame will reveal new things, I still learn new things with ZSS and I've been maining her pretty much since release.

every fight is a chance to improve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoEHX68vZbs for fun :D

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
I also play Peach I feel she has some untapped potential still and to me is extremly fun to play with.
That's awesome that you use Peach :). She is amazing, and SO fun to use. She's so fast to! It's awesome. :3

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
I main Yoshi. He's an awesome character and I absolutely love how he plays in Brawl. I was at one point really considering using a much more tournament viable character like G&W just because I felt Yoshi wouldn't cut it once I start going to tournaments, but I know that victory with Yoshi would be so much sweeter. Thanks for giving me and all the other people who use underused characters some hope.

*claps*

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
I use Yoshi, and I always have, but I really don't like how he has been nerfed again.... I'm not gonna give up on him though. Although I made G&W my secondary so that I wouldn't get destroyed by Falco...

smaci92

Smash Lord
Great speech! lol. I used to use yoshi, and I owned so many people with him, but eventually people caught on, and they beat me so badly...so now I'm ZSS ftw!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom